gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680751 Posts in 27615 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 19, 2024, 09:02:13 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 16 17 18 [19] 20 21 22 23 24 ... 34 Go Down Print
Author Topic: What "commemorative releases" should we expect for the 50th anniversary?  (Read 129063 times)
PhilCohen
« Reply #450 on: April 14, 2012, 11:11:10 AM »

Well I never.  Did you know that the "B" in Timothy B. Schmit (only one "t" by the way, and "i" after "m" – as in Smit, not Shimt) stands for Bruce, coincidentally the adopted name of Bruce Johnston, of The Beach Boys, who joined the band in 1965 following the departure of Glen Campbell who had been temporarily recruited to allow Brian Wilson to spend more time in the studio. Bruce Johnston is actually a stage name; he was born Benjamin Baldwin on June 27, 1942. That was the date on which the last of eight Nazi saboteurs, intent on damaging the US arms industry, were held by the FBI. The two events – Benjamin's birth and the arrest of the Nazi agents – are unrelated.  None of the Nazi agents was called Schmit.

Benjamin Baldwin's adoptive parents legally changed his name to Bruce Arthur Johnston, so it is not a stage name. It has been his actual name since early childhood.
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #451 on: April 14, 2012, 02:02:44 PM »

Well I never.  Did you know that the "B" in Timothy B. Schmit (only one "t" by the way, and "i" after "m" – as in Smit, not Shimt) stands for Bruce, coincidentally the adopted name of Bruce Johnston, of The Beach Boys, who joined the band in 1965 following the departure of Glen Campbell who had been temporarily recruited to allow Brian Wilson to spend more time in the studio. Bruce Johnston is actually a stage name; he was born Benjamin Baldwin on June 27, 1942. That was the date on which the last of eight Nazi saboteurs, intent on damaging the US arms industry, were held by the FBI. The two events – Benjamin's birth and the arrest of the Nazi agents – are unrelated.  None of the Nazi agents was called Schmit.

Benjamin Baldwin's adoptive parents legally changed his name to Bruce Arthur Johnston, so it is not a stage name. It has been his actual name since early childhood.

Brilliant!

“We live in divisive times.”
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

what it means to be human

View Profile
« Reply #452 on: April 14, 2012, 02:23:22 PM »

I know there's a lot of Smiler's out there who want a box set of the concert released...and I'm one of them. But let's say Capitol was testing the waters and just made a 2 disc set to see how it'd do and they basically put out a "greatest concert performances" disc out...what would you put on there? I myself would love to put on some rarities for the most part. Heck, give us the better parts of the more "well known" concerts: a handful of songs from Lei'd in Hawaii, 5 songs from live in Chicago in 65, 5 goodies from Big Sur from the early 70s, selections we never heard from the first In Concert (Jumpin Jack Flash, You Need a Mess of Help, etc), some Beachago tunes, the left overs from Live in Knebworth in 80, and some of the rarities performed during the "box set" tour/concert (from 93 I believe?) 

Just an idea to chew on for a bit

To view my video documentation of my Beach Boys collection go to www.youtube.com/justinplank

"Someone needs to tell Adrian Baker that imitation isn't innovation." -The Real Beach Boy

~post of the century~
"Well, you reached out to me too, David, and I'd be more than happy to fill Bgas's shoes. You don't need him anyway - some of us have the same items in our collections as he does and we're also much better writers. Spoiled brat....."
-Mikie

"in this online beach boy community, I've found that you're either correct or corrected. Which in my mind is all in good fun to show ones knowledge of their favorite band."- punkinhead
Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #453 on: April 15, 2012, 12:28:30 PM »

I really don't like compilation concert albums. I'd rather have a full night, or like at least have all the songs be from the same 12 month period or something.

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #454 on: April 15, 2012, 03:49:50 PM »

I really don't like compilation concert albums. I'd rather have a full night, or like at least have all the songs be from the same 12 month period or something.

I think an approach like Dylan's Rolling Thunder Bootleg Series would be the way to go for a 70's live release (so much of the coolest stuff was only done once or twice, like the Dennis material), but all the other periods are easily representable by one show.

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #455 on: April 15, 2012, 04:50:40 PM »

The beach boys went through 4 or 5 distinct eras in the 70s, to combine them into one release would be criminal. Unless, of course, it was just the hits. Surfer girl in 73 won't sound too different from surfer girl in 78.

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
stack-o-tracks
Smiley Smile Associate

The baker man

View Profile
« Reply #456 on: April 15, 2012, 04:57:25 PM »

The beach boys went through 4 or 5 distinct eras in the 70s, to combine them into one release would be criminal. Unless, of course, it was just the hits. Surfer girl in 73 won't sound too different from surfer girl in 78.

Weren't Brian and Dennis' voices in better shape and Bruce not in the group in '73?

No mas, por favor.
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #457 on: April 15, 2012, 05:00:05 PM »

Weren't Brian and Dennis' voices in better shape and Bruce not in the group in '73?
Compare this video to the "in concert" version

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bmDUAvCl87g

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
ESQ Editor
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #458 on: April 15, 2012, 05:33:59 PM »

In the Spring 2012 edition of Endless Summer Quarterly we discuss the release.  Box set and compilation are both on the way!! Subscribe to ESQ today!
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #459 on: April 15, 2012, 05:44:04 PM »

Awesome! Gotta get mine

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
lee
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #460 on: April 15, 2012, 06:58:18 PM »

Not sure if this has been mentioned but on Amazon there is a preorder for a 2 disc Good Timin': Live at Knebworth with a May 29 release date. Maybe this will be the complete show?
metal flake paint
Smiley Smile Associate

This harmony kick

View Profile
« Reply #461 on: April 15, 2012, 07:23:54 PM »

Not sure if this has been mentioned but on Amazon there is a preorder for a 2 disc Good Timin': Live at Knebworth with a May 29 release date. Maybe this will be the complete show?

Or perhaps a CD/DVD combo  Sad

"Quit screaming and start singing from your hearts, huh?" Murry Wilson, March 1965.
lee
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #462 on: April 15, 2012, 07:36:45 PM »

Oh, good call. I didn't even think about that. 
Paulos
« Reply #463 on: April 16, 2012, 01:20:06 AM »

In the Spring 2012 edition of Endless Summer Quarterly we discuss the release.  Box set and compilation are both on the way!! Subscribe to ESQ today!

Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked

Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin

In your face Phil!
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #464 on: April 16, 2012, 01:43:25 AM »

Duh, should have clarified - an early 70's release, which imo wouldn't be best served by just releasing, say, the Carnegie Hall 72 show.

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
shelter
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #465 on: April 16, 2012, 06:43:28 AM »

Could be nothing - I've seen one of those shady budget reissues once of Live at Knebworth, with the regular tracks spread over two discs. But who knows.
ESQ Editor
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #466 on: April 16, 2012, 08:18:15 AM »

this stuff is discussed in ESQ
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #467 on: April 16, 2012, 08:39:59 AM »

Aye, but it's nice to discuss it here too…  !   Grin

The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #468 on: April 16, 2012, 08:43:04 AM »

This fresh Knebworth release is listed as being on Eagle Rock.  They put out the original CD and DVD packages early last decade, and the later combo, so I suspect it's a re-issue of the latter. Nothing on their website yet…

Maybe there's something in the new issue of ESQ? Anyone?    Grin

Stegibo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #469 on: April 16, 2012, 09:12:23 AM »

Yeah, the new issue of ESQ will reveal it all!  Banana

Are you ready for some Fun Fun Fun?!
Justin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #470 on: April 16, 2012, 09:34:12 AM »

I just want the complete studio albums box set.  I hope they give us that.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #471 on: April 16, 2012, 10:50:57 AM »

At around 30 albums, that would be some hefty box. Maybe they'll package it some other way.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Iron Horse-Apples
« Reply #472 on: April 16, 2012, 10:51:18 AM »

I want a Pet Sounds multi-tracks disc. No, make that every album.
Justin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #473 on: April 16, 2012, 11:20:00 AM »

At around 30 albums, that would be some hefty box. Maybe they'll package it some other way.

Hefty indeed!  It's been done with some great results with Miles Davis' complete Columbia recordings (totaling 52 albums in 70cd's + 1dvd + booklet)
http://www.amazon.com/The-Complete-Columbia-Album-Collection/dp/B00305GXWG/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1334599998&sr=8-1

YouTube video of the unboxing:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8LydJ8nHg4I
Myk Luhv
Smiley Smile Associate

"...and I said, 'Oatmeal? Are you crazy?!'"

View Profile
« Reply #474 on: April 16, 2012, 12:00:25 PM »

Yeah but jazz heads are all seriously minted and obsessive about that sort of stuff it seems -- I doubt even a lot of serious Beach Boys fans would spring for a huge 30-albums-plus box set, especially when some of those 30 albums are just terrible and space-wasters!
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 16 17 18 [19] 20 21 22 23 24 ... 34 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx