gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680598 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 08:46:20 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 15 16 17 [18] 19 20 21 22 23 ... 34 Go Down Print
Author Topic: What "commemorative releases" should we expect for the 50th anniversary?  (Read 128428 times)
PhilCohen
« Reply #425 on: April 13, 2012, 02:56:45 PM »

Just spotted that a download-only remastered version of the Surfin' Safari album is scheduled to become available at Amazon Uk on April 19. Don't think this is legit in the usual way and wonder if it's down to a copyright expiry? Is Capitol in danger of dropping a ball? (I somehow doubt it...)

No bonus tracks

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B007KT5V76/

Hmm that looks very bootleg-esque.

But anyways, since there hasn't been much in the way of news lately, what does everybody think we will get as far as the "commemorative releases" besides the box set. I would love for another compilation like Endless Harmony to come out with a bunch of totally previously unreleased songs, but I somewhat get the feeling that they will probably just use the best unreleased material that is still in the can on the box set.

I also think there is the possibility that maybe we get new special editions of certain albums, most likely Sunflower and Surf's Up, as I'm pretty sure it was mentioned in a Linnett/Boyd interview as a possibility. And if they had to choose albums to do two-disc special editions, those are likely the ones I would pick, as there is supposedly some prime material to choose from, with things lie "I'm Going Your Way" and "Where Is She" from Sunflower and stuff like "(Wouldn't It Be Nice To) Live Again" and probably some other cool stuff for Surf's Up.

Therefore, I gotta say that either a rarities compilation or deluxe editions of a few classic albums is within reason.

Then less realistically, I kinda was hoping that they would reissue the groups entire discography on standalone CDs. However as over a quarter of the year has gone by since the announcement, I just kinda get the feeling that they won't do that, especially as non "hits" albums by The Beach Boys besides Pet Sounds and SMiLE probably won't shift that many copies, especially compared to other Capitol/EMI artists like The Beatles and Pink Floyd. However, if they actually did re-release all the albums on their own with bonus tracks, that would probably be the best thing we could wish for. I doubt it though.

It's fun to dream at least. Hopefully we'll hear some news on the tracklist and title of the new studio album soon, and also some updates on the catalog releases, so we will be able to more realistically assess what might be coming our way.

We'll be lucky if, sometime later this year, that the reunion album is actually released. As for archival releases, they are looking increasingly like a lost cause.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #426 on: April 13, 2012, 03:14:21 PM »

As ever, talking through your arse.

1 - the album will NOT be released 'later this year'. It will be released, at the latest, in early June. Fact. So STFU. You, as ever, don't know what you're talking about. Others do. There's a reason they don't talk to you. You're an idiot, and that is the exact word used to me by someone who does know what's going on.  Grin

2 - the archival reissue program is similarly on track. There's a lot of the year left.

3 - stop pontificating on subjects which you have absolutely no knowledge of. It makes other folk annoyed, and makes you look more of a complete fool than you already appear.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #427 on: April 13, 2012, 03:17:30 PM »

Agree absolutely Phil. That album that's reportedly almost there is Probably a figment of the Beach Boys' collective deluded imaginations.

Apparently this craziness is spreading - bunch of folk had a collective mass hysteria the other day and reported seeing the Beach Boys perform at a Dodgers game. Poor fools...

Apparently - get this - some hoaxers are making big bucks selling tickets for a "beach Boys 50th reunion tour"! It'd be funny if it wasn't so serious.

Archive releases? Who takes that idea seriously? No-one here. Let's sit down and chat about it while your nurse gets here. How did you sneak out by the way...?

“We live in divisive times.”
Paulos
« Reply #428 on: April 13, 2012, 03:19:26 PM »

Agree absolutely Phil. That album that's reportedly almost there is Probably a figment of the Beach Boys' collective deluded imaginations.

Apparently this craziness is spreading - bunch of folk had a collective mass hysteria the other day and reported seeing the Beach Boys perform at a Dodgers game. Poor fools...

Apparently - get this - some hoaxers are making big bucks selling tickets for a "beach Boys 50th reunion tour"! It'd be funny if it wasn't so serious.

Archive releases? Who takes that idea seriously? No-one here. Let's sit down and chat about it while your nurse gets here. How did you sneak out by the way...?

LOL

Burned!
stack-o-tracks
Smiley Smile Associate

The baker man

View Profile
« Reply #429 on: April 13, 2012, 03:30:49 PM »

Here's Phil right now:

No mas, por favor.
stack-o-tracks
Smiley Smile Associate

The baker man

View Profile
« Reply #430 on: April 13, 2012, 03:32:13 PM »

Accompanying video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yunSRfnsVck

No mas, por favor.
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #431 on: April 13, 2012, 03:45:22 PM »

Wonderful! And nice to put a face to the name... (?)

PhilCohen
« Reply #432 on: April 13, 2012, 04:37:40 PM »

1 - the album will NOT be released 'later this year'. It will be released, at the latest, in early June. Fact. So STFU. You, as ever, don't know what you're talking about. Others do. There's a reason they don't talk to you. You're an idiot, and that is the exact word used to me by someone who does know what's going on.  Grin

2 - the archival reissue program is similarly on track. There's a lot of the year left.

3 - stop pontificating on subjects which you have absolutely no knowledge of. It makes other folk annoyed, and makes you look more of a complete fool than you already appear.

If the reunion album was really going to be released in early June(7 weeks from now), then the album would have a title and track listing, the album would be at CD pressing plants in the manufacturing stage, reviewers would have reviewer's test pressings or promotional CD's, and distributors would now be accepting preorders from dealers, and online dealers would be accepting preorders from consumers. None of these things are happening. Until those things happen, there is no reunion album in the foreseeable future. To date, this group has not delivered the goods.
Heysaboda
Smiley Smile Associate

Son, don't wait till the break of day....

View Profile
« Reply #433 on: April 13, 2012, 04:40:43 PM »

heh heh

maybe they'll be issuing "Landlocked" on June 5.........

Cool

Son, don't wait till the break of day 'cause you know how time fades away......
PhilCohen
« Reply #434 on: April 13, 2012, 04:48:33 PM »

Archive releases? Who takes that idea seriously?

Not Me.
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #435 on: April 13, 2012, 05:00:07 PM »

If the reunion album was really going to be released in early June(7 weeks from now), then the album would have a title and track listing, the album would be at CD pressing plants in the manufacturing stage, reviewers would have reviewer's test pressings or promotional CD's, and distributors would now be accepting preorders from dealers, and online dealers would be accepting preorders from consumers. None of these things are happening. Until those things happen, there is no reunion album in the foreseeable future. To date, this group has not delivered the goods.

Yes, it might well have a title and track listing. But we wouldn't necessarily know those things.

You. Are. A. Troll.
PhilCohen
« Reply #436 on: April 13, 2012, 05:06:01 PM »

Yes, it might well have a title and track listing. But we wouldn't necessarily know those things.

You. Are. A. Troll.

You are unrealistic.
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #437 on: April 13, 2012, 05:06:59 PM »

Well, you have been right about everything so far....

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
Chocolate Shake Man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #438 on: April 13, 2012, 05:27:32 PM »

LOL
pixletwin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #439 on: April 13, 2012, 06:44:05 PM »

Exactly.  LOL
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #440 on: April 14, 2012, 12:23:36 AM »

1 - the album will NOT be released 'later this year'. It will be released, at the latest, in early June. Fact. So STFU. You, as ever, don't know what you're talking about. Others do. There's a reason they don't talk to you. You're an idiot, and that is the exact word used to me by someone who does know what's going on.  Grin

May I point out that just because you've heard nothing about any of this doesn't mean it's not been happening. I'm going to say it again - other people know stuff that you have not the faintest notion about. The promo machine is rolling along. Here's an example: announced release date of new album, June 5th... air date of the PBS Summer's Gone TV special, June 7th. Whoa, isn't that an amazing coincidence ? The album is being released two days before a 90-minute TV special - incredible !

Wait...

You don't think... maybe... someone arranged it like that. Like, some kind of promotional thing ?

The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #441 on: April 14, 2012, 01:09:45 AM »

Andrew, you're gonna have to give us more than that.

First, is this documentary you claim is being/has been made going to be broadcast on ITV or BBC? The fact that you're withholding such information suggests you're complicit in this cover-up by Capitol, the Beach Boys, Phil's nurse and the FBI.  Clearly if it's going out on ITV then it's hardly going to be 90 minutes in actualarianism, as they have to allow for several ad breaks of up to five minutes.

Second, erm, that's it.

Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #442 on: April 14, 2012, 01:22:52 AM »

There's sooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo much more I could tell you.*

But I won't, just to piss Phill off.  Grin

[* - denotes statement which may or may not be true]

18thofMay
Smiley Smile Associate

Goin to the beach

View Profile
« Reply #443 on: April 14, 2012, 04:55:38 AM »

Phil is like a back pimple

It’s like he hired a fashion consultant and told her to make him look “punchable.”
Some Guy, 2012
"Donald Trump makes Mike Love look like an asshole"
Me ,2015.
AndrewHickey
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #444 on: April 14, 2012, 05:41:58 AM »

I'm actually worried. Because Phil Cohen is wrong about *absolutely* everything, always, so we now know the album will come out on time... but he hasn't said it'll be terrible and worse than Summer In Paradise, so it might still actually be bad. If we just can get him to say that, then we'll know we'll have something that combines the best elements of Pet Sounds, Smile and Love You into a coherent whole...

The Smiley Smile ignore function: http://andrewhickey.info/the-smiley-smile-ignore-button-sort-of/
Most recent update 03/12/15
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #445 on: April 14, 2012, 05:59:55 AM »

There's sooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo much more I could tell you.*

But I won't, just to piss Phill off.  Grin

[* - denotes statement which may or may not be true]
Your an expert at messing with Phil's head at this point. LOL

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
PhilCohen
« Reply #446 on: April 14, 2012, 06:19:39 AM »

I'm actually worried. Because Phil Cohen is wrong about *absolutely* everything, always, so we now know the album will come out on time... but he hasn't said it'll be terrible and worse than Summer In Paradise, so it might still actually be bad. If we just can get him to say that, then we'll know we'll have something that combines the best elements of Pet Sounds, Smile and Love You into a coherent whole...

Funny that you mention "Summer in Paradise". It is one of only two Beach Boys CD's that I don't have(the other is "Stars and Stripes", the collaboration with country singers). Country music isn't my bag, and I didn't buy "Summer in Paradise" because it has no Brian Wilson involvement. Now deleted, "Summer in Paradise" now brings big money(near $100) as a rarity.

The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #447 on: April 14, 2012, 08:06:17 AM »

Statistically speaking, as long as he persists, he will in all likelihood, eventually, get something right.  Eventually.

Possibly.

Perhaps.

And Hell might freeze over…

PhilCohen
« Reply #448 on: April 14, 2012, 10:06:11 AM »

Statistically speaking, as long as he persists, he will in all likelihood, eventually, get something right.  Eventually.

Possibly.

Perhaps.

And Hell might freeze over…

Well, Hell DID freeze over......for Don Henley, Glenn Frey, Timothy B. Schmit, Joe Walsh & Don Felder ! (check out their album "Hell Freezes Over")
« Last Edit: April 14, 2012, 11:12:10 AM by PhilCohen » Logged
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #449 on: April 14, 2012, 10:28:20 AM »

Well I never.  Did you know that the "B" in Timothy B. Schmit (only one "t" by the way, and "i" after "m" – as in Smit, not Shimt) stands for Bruce, coincidentally the adopted name of Bruce Johnston, of The Beach Boys, who joined the band in 1965 following the departure of Glen Campbell who had been temporarily recruited to allow Brian Wilson to spend more time in the studio. Bruce Johnston is actually a stage name; he was born Benjamin Baldwin on June 27, 1942. That was the date on which the last of eight Nazi saboteurs, intent on damaging the US arms industry, were held by the FBI. The two events – Benjamin's birth and the arrest of the Nazi agents – are unrelated.  None of the Nazi agents was called Schmit.

gfx
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 15 16 17 [18] 19 20 21 22 23 ... 34 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx