gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680784 Posts in 27616 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 24, 2024, 04:22:01 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 11 12 13 [14] 15 16 17 18 19 ... 34 Go Down Print
Author Topic: What "commemorative releases" should we expect for the 50th anniversary?  (Read 129145 times)
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #325 on: March 28, 2012, 03:11:40 PM »

Lips Sealed

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #326 on: March 28, 2012, 03:30:03 PM »

In retrospect, there may have been legitimate reasons for the 5 months of silence during the creation of the "Smile" box. Capitol & the box set's compilers were walking on eggshells, dealing with the permission givers over recordings whose creation(in the 1960's) left still-raw emotional wounds and interpersonal resentments amongst the surviving Beach Boys. If any of the permission givers had gotten offended during the compiling process, the box set project could have easily derailed(if any one of the permission givers had withdrawn their permission). It may be that the 5 month silence reduced the chance of that happening.

Once again, you demonstrate that you've neither the least concept of what you're talking about, or what really happened. I admire your consistency. The box was released, in a form expanded from the original three-disc concept (that's a hint, btw) and no amount of theorising on your part can change the inescapable fact that every last thing you claimed about the box being delayed was wrong... and now you've bumped a long-dormant thread for the sole purpose of doing the ashes & sackcloth routine once more: if anything is "kind of sad and disappointing" then it's this.

(... and walks away)

Why was the thread long-dormant? Because Capitol won't reveal the information that would give us something positive to discuss: the music(i.E. the original purpose of this thread: to discuss the contents of the "50th Anniversary" CD releases).

You're just looking for attention. We have an original album, PBS documentary and 60-date tour confirmed. Whether you like it or not, it's clear from TSS experience that Capitol doesn't blow smoke these days when it comes to BB releases, either. If they say it's coming out, it will. They might not drip feed us news, but they deliver in the end. It's nonsense to expect anything else at this point.
Heysaboda
Smiley Smile Associate

Son, don't wait till the break of day....

View Profile
« Reply #327 on: March 28, 2012, 03:40:11 PM »

... ... We have an original album, PBS documentary and 60-date tour confirmed. Whether you like it or not, it's clear from TSS experience that Capitol doesn't blow smoke these days when it comes to BB releases, either. If they say it's coming out, it will. They might not drip feed us news, but they deliver in the end. It's nonsense to expect anything else at this point.

I'd go so far as to say that The Beach Boys are the Crown Jewel of Capitol Records and they (Capitol) finally know it!

Son, don't wait till the break of day 'cause you know how time fades away......
pixletwin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #328 on: March 28, 2012, 03:51:07 PM »

The notion that a company should release info for the soul purpose of forum discussion makes me  LOL.
joshferrell
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #329 on: March 28, 2012, 03:57:00 PM »

maybe they are simply still figuring the specifics out right now and that's why we don't know anything..
18thofMay
Smiley Smile Associate

Goin to the beach

View Profile
« Reply #330 on: March 28, 2012, 03:59:10 PM »

This whole thing could easily be solved if people just ignored him...

The whole thing could also easily be solved if Capitol revealed at least some information, then we'd have something positive to discuss(the music) , but instead we're sniping at each other.
You would just whinge about whatever they said..

Don't you get it the whole world knows except you!! Your stuck in a matrix of self doubt and pity, thus not revealing the true revelations of the 5oth anniversary celebrations.

It’s like he hired a fashion consultant and told her to make him look “punchable.”
Some Guy, 2012
"Donald Trump makes Mike Love look like an asshole"
Me ,2015.
PhilCohen
« Reply #331 on: March 28, 2012, 04:07:31 PM »

... ... We have an original album, PBS documentary and 60-date tour confirmed. Whether you like it or not, it's clear from TSS experience that Capitol doesn't blow smoke these days when it comes to BB releases, either. If they say it's coming out, it will. They might not drip feed us news, but they deliver in the end. It's nonsense to expect anything else at this point.

I'd go so far as to say that The Beach Boys are the Crown Jewel of Capitol Records and they (Capitol) finally know it!

Let's not be delusional. Beatles music is EMI's commercially most important product.
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #332 on: March 28, 2012, 04:16:33 PM »

Thats not what he said.
PhilCohen
« Reply #333 on: March 28, 2012, 04:24:52 PM »

Let's be matter of fact. We are fans(meaning fanatics, and in the case of this group's music, completists that will buy any new CD product), but to the general public(even people that have a reasonable fondness for Beach Boys music), they are content with a Greatest Hits CD, and perhaps a few of the group's most famous albums("Pet Sounds","Surfin' U.S.A.","All Summer Long", "Summer Days...and Summer Nights!"). Even if some of those mainstream consumers are aware of Capitol's vague December 2011 announcement of a reunion album or archival products, after a certain number of months or seasons,  if the product(or release announcement) doesn't materialize, those consumers' memories of the December 2011 announcement will eventually fade away.

The sort of people who post here(or on similar fan forums) are the people who care the most about these proposed CD's . The typical CD or download consumer either doesn't know about this proposed CD product, or doesn't care. Without a certain amount of completist fans, there would be no reason for Capitol to release these CD's.

Whether you are pessimistic or optimistic that Capitol will eventually release some or all of these CD projects, the people on this forum are the keepers of the flame(keeping the subject of these proposed CD's afloat), no matter how discouraging(at some points) things may  get.
18thofMay
Smiley Smile Associate

Goin to the beach

View Profile
« Reply #334 on: March 28, 2012, 04:29:52 PM »

Let's be matter of fact. We are fans(meaning fanatics, and in the case of this group's music, completists that will buy any new CD product), but to the general public(even people that have a reasonable fondness for Beach Boys music), they are content with a Greatest Hits CD, and perhaps a few of the group's most famous albums("Pet Sounds","Surfin' U.S.A.","All Summer Long", "Summer Days...and Summer Nights!"). Even if some of those mainstream consumers are aware of Capitol's vague December 2011 announcement of a reunion album or archival products, after a certain number of months or seasons,  if the product(or release announcement) doesn't materialize, those consumers' memories of the December 2011 announcement will eventually fade away.

The sort of people who post here(or on similar fan forums) are the people who care the most about these proposed CD's . The typical CD or download consumer either doesn't know about this proposed CD product, or doesn't care. Without a certain amount of completist fans, there would be no reason for Capitol to release these CD's.

Whether you are pessimistic or optimistic that Capitol will eventually release some or all of these CD projects, the people on this forum are the keepers of the flame(keeping the subject of these proposed CD's afloat), no matter how discouraging(at some points) things may  get.
Go away

It’s like he hired a fashion consultant and told her to make him look “punchable.”
Some Guy, 2012
Me ,2015.
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #335 on: March 28, 2012, 04:30:11 PM »

*logs off computer, turns on ion turntable with Smile sessions LP.*

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #336 on: March 28, 2012, 04:30:48 PM »

A related reply from Ponghit after meeting Alan Boyd last week.  

http://smileysmile.net/board/index.php/topic,12489.75.html

In part....

Then he said had prepared an iTunes playlist for me, consisting of 86 tracks. After the paramedics arrived to resuscitate my ticker, I geeked-out with his headphones and iPad for... a couple hours, I guess. Here are some specifics from my memories:

I believe the dates ranged from circa 1963, the 'Audree tapes,' to 1996, the S&S sessions. Many tracks were familiar titles — things like "Little Bird" with BGV & track (no lead), vocal-only of "Time To Get Alone," and "We're Together Again" with strings — but also many completely unreleased titles. I think all eras were represented, including solo Mike.

"Live Again" is as great as rumored, but not a departure from Dennis's style of the period. "Cuddle Up"/"Old Movie" (2 different tracks/takes) is possibly even moodier and more dramatic/emotional than "Live Again." "Little Red Book" is very cool. "My Solution" is a funny oddity, experimental and interesting — but rough, and ultimately not a terribly important part of the canon; understandably unreleased. Dennis's "Ecology," however, while also experimental and rough, I thought it was of more consequence. Another very cool thing that I hadn't known about is Dennis & Carl's "Barnyard" (no connection to the SMILE tune?). I thought Brian's lead on the 1974 "California Feeling" sounded so odd that I wasn't even sure it was him — Carl's later retake sounds 'right' to my ears. There was an aborted "2,000 Years" string intro/overture for Dennis's "Friday Nights" that contained dated, sitar-sounding elements. Dennis's piano demo of "Be With Me" is a great fly-on-the wall moment. "All Day, All Night" was a highly-repetitive mediation that became "Whistle In." Alternate version of "Add Some Music" is very good, different lyrics. "Walkin'" and "Where Is She?" are SUNFLOWER outtakes. The "Caroline, No" BGV from S&S sessions were shockingly gorgeous, and have a "My Prayer" vibe. And I remember a few live tracks: "Please Let Me Wonder" (1965?), "All I Want To Do," and "Wild Honey" (1972-'73?).

Overall impression: this batch of material demonstrates, once again, the dynamic and diverse body of work our favorite band created. But it requires the painstaking efforts of people like Alan and Mark Linett to mine the archives for nuggets of gold — and I'm convinced they have the BB's integrity in mind; that's their motivation. (The ENDLESS HARMONY film and HAWTHORNE comp. being just 2 examples.)

More specifically, based on this collection, I'm guessing most of the best of the unreleased early/'golden era' material has already been tapped — of course, I'd love to be wrong about this presumption. Aficionados of the later periods (post-SMILE), however, have a lot to look forward to if/when these things see the light of day.

Apparently the music I heard is being potentially considered for a proposed archive compilation, because he asked me which of the tracks stand-out as things that should definitely be released. And Alan is aware of this forum, of course, and reads it occasionally, so our input might have an influence, to an extent.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2012, 04:44:06 PM by Undesirable Element » Logged
PhilCohen
« Reply #337 on: March 28, 2012, 04:31:50 PM »

The notion that a company should release info for the soul purpose of forum discussion makes me  LOL.

But if they(Capitol) don't care enough to keep this proposed/upcoming  CD product in the consumers' consciousness, then why should anyone else(other than a bunch of hardcore Beach Boys CD collectors) care?
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #338 on: March 28, 2012, 04:40:53 PM »

Because it is only a 'bunch of hardcore Beach Boys CD collectors' who will buy it!

CD's don't cost as much to produce as they once did. Heck....I would just pay for a itunes version of most unreleased stuff. How much would that cost Capitol to release? Nothing, aside from any copy right issues I guess.
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #339 on: March 28, 2012, 05:02:19 PM »

But if they(Capitol) don't care enough to keep this proposed/upcoming  CD product in the consumers' consciousness, then why should anyone else(other than a bunch of hardcore Beach Boys CD collectors) care?

Those guys at Apple must be right dummies for not promoting the ipad 4 yet!
« Last Edit: March 28, 2012, 05:05:10 PM by Undesirable Element » Logged
PhilCohen
« Reply #340 on: March 28, 2012, 07:04:58 PM »

This has become the Frowny Frown forum; a joyless thing. My attempt to revive this discussion led us all right back to where we were. No progress has been made towards getting the desired information.
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #341 on: March 28, 2012, 08:18:26 PM »

No progress has been made towards getting the desired information.

Huh?

Again, Ponghit wrote above.

....Apparently the music I heard is being potentially considered for a proposed archive compilation, because he asked me which of the tracks stand-out as things that should definitely be released. And Alan is aware of this forum, of course, and reads it occasionally, so our input might have an influence, to an extent.

Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #342 on: March 28, 2012, 10:45:27 PM »

And Alan is aware of this forum, of course, and reads it occasionally, so our input might have an influence, to an extent.

Not just Alan. Oh no indeed.

18thofMay
Smiley Smile Associate

Goin to the beach

View Profile
« Reply #343 on: March 28, 2012, 11:15:51 PM »

And Alan is aware of this forum, of course, and reads it occasionally, so our input might have an influence, to an extent.

Not just Alan. Oh no indeed.
The Beach Boys should come to Australia in 2012

Some Guy, 2012
Me ,2015.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #344 on: March 28, 2012, 11:16:49 PM »

This has become the Frowny Frown forum; a joyless thing. My attempt to revive this discussion led us all right back to where we were. No progress has been made towards getting the desired information.

Your original post, positive in yellow, negative in red:

"It is now obvious that neither the reunion album or the 50-song hits collection(that Mr.Doe spoke of) will be ready for release to coincide with the start of the tour. A reunion album may (possibly) be released this summer, but what is the fate of the "commemorative" releases?

My guess, is that in the absence of any new product to sell(in conjunction with the tour) that Capitol will press more copies of "Sounds of Summer", "Endless Summer" or "Good Vibrations:30 Years of The Beach Boys" and re-promote those products, but for the avid fans looking for new Beach Boys CD product to buy, they are(indefinitely) out of luck. But, to be realistic, the re-promoting of those existing products will be quite satisfactory to the general public, and make plenty of money for Capitol.

And, I should note, that without the feud between Myself & Mr.Doe to keep this thread alive(or at least my presence, to enable people to use me as a scapegoat), this thread quietly came to a halt more than a month ago. I was correct in saying, that with Capitol continuing to stonewall it with the wall of secrecy, that, with respect to archival CD product, there is really nothing more to discuss.

This is kind of sad and disappointing.

Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #345 on: March 29, 2012, 01:40:12 AM »

Ok, for bettter or worse this thread is up and running again so lets move on.

Andrew or others. What about those songs mentioned by Ponghit?
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #346 on: March 29, 2012, 01:44:54 AM »

Jesus Christ, Phil. You don't advertise things by constantly saying 'hey, this album that hasn't been finished and these compilations that haven't been finalised, mastered, designed or whathaveyou is coming out many many months from now, but as they aren't done we can't tell you when!' week in week out. It's all ready when it's ready, and will all be marketed accordingly. I noticed you didn't respond to the news that over 80 tracks are being considered for the rarities set. mind.

Patience is a virtue, mate.

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #347 on: March 29, 2012, 02:39:10 AM »

Phil's trolling; getting this reaction turns him on.  He needs a bucket of cold water throwing over him to cool his arousal.

“We live in divisive times.”
The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #348 on: March 29, 2012, 04:10:08 AM »

Been dreamin' bout them boner tracks  LOL

Dreaming and boner tracks kinda go hand in hand, John.  Tongue

You forgot to include a bit of gymnastics.

80% Of Success Is Showing Up
GuyOnTheBeach
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #349 on: March 29, 2012, 04:51:35 AM »

Possibly just a coincidence, but my local branch of HMV now has 5, yes, 5 Beach Boys CDs in stock instead of 2 they had this time last year

Today/Summer Days
Pet Sounds
Sunflower/Surf's Up
Sounds of Summer
SMiLE (1 and 2 disk configurations)

Now would be the time to start putting this all into motion with regards to restocking CDs, and I stand by what I said earlier in this thread that they should be putting stickers on all the previous CDs with the 50th logo on to start generating some interest.
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 11 12 13 [14] 15 16 17 18 19 ... 34 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx