gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680749 Posts in 27614 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 19, 2024, 07:07:08 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 10 11 12 [13] 14 15 16 17 18 ... 34 Go Down Print
Author Topic: What "commemorative releases" should we expect for the 50th anniversary?  (Read 129049 times)
stack-o-tracks
Smiley Smile Associate

The baker man

View Profile
« Reply #300 on: March 28, 2012, 01:45:08 AM »

For the past few decades, the way that the music industry has operated, is that a singer or group tours to promote its latest album, and the tour & album release are closely coordinated. Why does that concept suddenly seem so strange to you guys?

Music doesn't sell like it used to so most bands are touring even when they don't have a new album or a popular single because it is the only way for them to make money.

"The way the music industry has operated" has completely changed in the past decade.

No mas, por favor.
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #301 on: March 28, 2012, 02:01:21 AM »

It is now obvious that neither the reunion album or the 50-song hits collection(that Mr.Doe spoke of) will be ready for release to coincide with the start of the tour. A reunion album may (possibly) be released this summer, but what is the fate of the "commemorative" releases?

My guess, is that in the absence of any new product to sell(in conjunction with the tour) that Capitol will press more copies of "Sounds of Summer", "Endless Summer" or "Good Vibrations:30 Years of The Beach Boys" and re-promote those products, but for the avid fans looking for new Beach Boys CD product to buy, they are(indefinitely) out of luck. But, to be realistic, the re-promoting of those existing products will be quite satisfactory to the general public, and make plenty of money for Capitol.

And, I should note, that without the feud between Myself & Mr.Doe to keep this thread alive(or at least my presence, to enable people to use me as a scapegoat), this thread quietly came to a halt more than a month ago. I was correct in saying, that with Capitol continuing to stonewall it with the wall of secrecy, that, with respect to archival CD product, there is really nothing more to discuss.

This is kind of sad and disappointing.

Phil, well, first of all, you sent me an email telling me you were leaving Smiley Smile....apparently not my friend!

Sorry, I got bored, and I probably knew (even before I posted) that this particular discussion thread was basically a dead end street. And so it was........ and is.

You could have spent the time learning how to use the "quote" function properly for starters.

Thread popularity goes up and down all the time. Have  a look at how many other threads have come and gone since this one was last at its peak.  Just cos no-one's talking about something doesn't mean it won't be revived. After all, you've revived it, even though you've nothing constructive to offer, just the usual pessimism about the sky falling down and the end of the world being nigh.

By the way, I think I've found the unconventional, non-qwerty keyboard you were struggling with a while back:

If you need technical advice, my daughter's home from playgroup after 12.

Are you the real Phil Cohen?

“We live in divisive times.”
Val
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #302 on: March 28, 2012, 02:15:49 AM »

Phil is a bit of an old misery guts, isn't he?  Sorry, Phil, but...

I definitely think we can expect some surprises along this journey and not abandon all hope etc. etc.

back to Life...but with one eye on the big Beach Ball...

A Big  Fan of this Board - even though you can be very naughty at times!
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #303 on: March 28, 2012, 02:43:00 AM »

Phil is a bit of an old misery guts, isn't he?  Sorry, Phil, but...

I definitely think we can expect some surprises along this journey and not abandon all hope etc. etc.

back to Life...but with one eye on the big Beach Ball...

Not sure this is the same Phil who first showed up here…

“We live in divisive times.”
PhilCohen
« Reply #304 on: March 28, 2012, 07:59:53 AM »

It is now obvious that neither the reunion album or the 50-song hits collection(that Mr.Doe spoke of) will be ready for release to coincide with the start of the tour. A reunion album may (possibly) be released this summer, but what is the fate of the "commemorative" releases?

My guess, is that in the absence of any new product to sell(in conjunction with the tour) that Capitol will press more copies of "Sounds of Summer", "Endless Summer" or "Good Vibrations:30 Years of The Beach Boys" and re-promote those products, but for the avid fans looking for new Beach Boys CD product to buy, they are(indefinitely) out of luck. But, to be realistic, the re-promoting of those existing products will be quite satisfactory to the general public, and make plenty of money for Capitol.

And, I should note, that without the feud between Myself & Mr.Doe to keep this thread alive(or at least my presence, to enable people to use me as a scapegoat), this thread quietly came to a halt more than a month ago. I was correct in saying, that with Capitol continuing to stonewall it with the wall of secrecy, that, with respect to archival CD product, there is really nothing more to discuss.

This is kind of sad and disappointing.

Phil, well, first of all, you sent me an email telling me you were leaving Smiley Smile....apparently not my friend!

Sorry, I got bored, and I probably knew (even before I posted) that this particular discussion thread was basically a dead end street. And so it was........ and is.

You could have spent the time learning how to use the "quote" function properly for starters.

Occasionally, due to a malfunction in the website's system, despite my posting my response properly, my response  appears as part of the quote, rather than appearing separately.
Heysaboda
Smiley Smile Associate

Son, don't wait till the break of day....

View Profile
« Reply #305 on: March 28, 2012, 09:42:42 AM »

Newly recorded album released on June 5th, including tracks entitled "Why God Made The Radio"and "Beaches In Mind".....

Again, this is such wonderful news.  Truly, 2011 and 2012 are the best years ever, Ever, for Beach Boys fans!

How soon will the track lists be made public?

Son, don't wait till the break of day 'cause you know how time fades away......
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #306 on: March 28, 2012, 11:53:19 AM »

Occasionally, due to a malfunction in the website's system, despite my posting my response properly, my response  appears as part of the quote, rather than appearing separately.

Thats it then. This sites days are numbered! Thud
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #307 on: March 28, 2012, 12:02:45 PM »

Why can't Phil be banned the hell off this board, he is just troll with a "feud" with AGD at this point.

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
PhilCohen
« Reply #308 on: March 28, 2012, 12:05:15 PM »

Why can't Phil be banned the hell off this board, he is just troll with a "feud" with AGD at this point.

We don't have any feud at the moment. Our recent exchanges have been comparatively polite. Read them.
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #309 on: March 28, 2012, 12:11:51 PM »

We don't have any feud at the moment. Our recent exchanges have been comparatively polite. Read them.
Don't pretend your not mad at AGD, your still pissed at him proving your smile box doom predictions incorrect. You just want to see him be incorrect about a new boxset, hence why you are ignoring the BBs new tour and album.

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
PhilCohen
« Reply #310 on: March 28, 2012, 12:21:50 PM »

In retrospect, there may have been legitimate reasons for the 5 months of silence during the creation of the "Smile" box. Capitol & the box set's compilers were walking on eggshells, dealing with the permission givers over recordings whose creation(in the 1960's) left still-raw emotional wounds and interpersonal resentments amongst the surviving Beach Boys. If any of the permission givers had gotten offended during the compiling process, the box set project could have easily derailed(if any one of the permission givers had withdrawn their permission). It may be that the 5 month silence reduced the chance of that happening.

By contrast, in this year's vaguely promised projects, we are talking about less sensitive, less controversial materials, that are unlikely to rock the boat with any of the surviving members: a reunion album, a 2-CD hits set, an updated box set, and (perhaps) a CD/DVD set of early 1970's concert recordings, and (perhaps) stereo remixes of several (previously) mono-only albums. There is nothing in any of those projects that is likely to cause any conflict amongst the surviving Beach Boys. Then, is there really a need for extreme secretiveness this time?

By the way, the CD/DVD set of early 1970's concert recordings could very well happen. Mark Linett publicly stated that he was working on such a project at the same time that he stated that he was doing research and tape cataloging on "Smile" tapes(this was 2 to 3 years before the "Smile" box was announced)
PhilCohen
« Reply #311 on: March 28, 2012, 12:25:56 PM »

Don't pretend your not mad at AGD, your still pissed at him proving your smile box doom predictions incorrect. You just want to see him be incorrect about a new boxset, hence why you are ignoring the BBs new tour and album.

Wrong. I'm happy that the "Smile Sessions" box was released. Capitol & the group did cause many fans needless worry during the 5 months of silence. All we know concerning the reunion album is that a "TBD"(to be determined, yet to be titled) Beach Boys album has a tentative June release, on the forthcoming release lists of EMI affiliates in several European countries. We assume that this album is the reunion album. I hope so.
Chocolate Shake Man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #312 on: March 28, 2012, 12:36:54 PM »

In retrospect, there may have been legitimate reasons for the 5 months of silence during the creation of the "Smile" box. Capitol & the box set's compilers were walking on eggshells, dealing with the permission givers over recordings whose creation(in the 1960's) left still-raw emotional wounds and interpersonal resentments amongst the surviving Beach Boys. If any of the permission givers had gotten offended during the compiling process, the box set project could have easily derailed(if any one of the permission givers had withdrawn their permission). It may be that the 5 month silence reduced the chance of that happening.

By contrast, in this year's vaguely promised projects, we are talking about less sensitive, less controversial materials, that are unlikely to rock the boat with any of the surviving members: a reunion album, a 2-CD hits set, an updated box set, and (perhaps) a CD/DVD set of early 1970's concert recordings, and (perhaps) stereo remixes of several (previously) mono-only albums. There is nothing in any of those projects that is likely to cause any conflict amongst the surviving Beach Boys. Then, is there really a need for extreme secretiveness this time?

I'm excited for when five months after the release of the new stuff, you justify what you call silence thereby rendering all your complaints invalid again.
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #313 on: March 28, 2012, 12:38:23 PM »

Wrong. I'm happy that the "Smile Sessions" box was released. Capitol & the group did cause many fans needless worry during the 5 months of silence. All we know concerning the reunion album is that a "TBD"(to be determined, yet to be titled) Beach Boys album has a tentative June release, on the forthcoming release lists of EMI affiliates in several European countries. We assume that this album is the reunion album. I hope so.
Planning and releasing product takes time, companies don't have any obligation for constant updates to the fans. All they can say is if the product is coming out or not. Capitol said the box would be released in 2011, and it was November 1, 2011.

PhilCohen
« Reply #314 on: March 28, 2012, 12:42:56 PM »

If there weren't such an extreme silence concerning the 2012 product, then we'd be discussing that product on this forum now, and we'd be getting excited and overjoyed about what we would (soon?) be getting. Would that positive advance "buzz" be such a bad thing? it's called promotion, and other labels and artists do create advance buzz.
pixletwin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #315 on: March 28, 2012, 12:53:06 PM »

Funnily enough, I don't recall anyone worrying and only one very vocal Chicken Little. Sounds oddly familiar this time around too.
PhilCohen
« Reply #316 on: March 28, 2012, 01:27:31 PM »

I'm excited for when five months after the release of the new stuff, you justify what you call silence thereby rendering all your complaints invalid again.

Even when I'm trying to be more conciliatory, you guys keep bashing me.
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #317 on: March 28, 2012, 01:46:17 PM »

Funnily enough, I don't recall anyone worrying and only one very vocal Chicken Little. Sounds oddly familiar this time around too.

The same. Most here looked at things in a positive way. More material had been found, better final product, waiting on the ok for the original artwork. That kind of thing.
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #318 on: March 28, 2012, 01:51:00 PM »

I look forward to surprises on my birthday and Christmas. Not all of us want to know in advance. Perhaps the secretiveness this time is a result of some fans seeing the negative each time a delay in the boxset occured.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2012, 01:58:00 PM by Undesirable Element » Logged
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #319 on: March 28, 2012, 02:35:33 PM »

Capitol & the group did cause many fans needless worry during the 5 months of silence.

I wasn't worried one bit, even after two or three release dates were rescheduled. Didn't bother me because I knew the delays were due to the fact that they needed more time to get a good high quality product out.  And they did.

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #320 on: March 28, 2012, 02:37:27 PM »

Capitol & the group did cause many fans needless worry during the 5 months of silence.

I wasn't worried one bit, even after two or three release dates were rescheduled. Didn't bother me because I knew the delays were due to the fact that they needed more time to get a good high quality product out.  And they did.

This x a ridiculously high number.

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #321 on: March 28, 2012, 02:39:11 PM »

Once again, you demonstrate that you've neither the least concept of what you're talking about, or what really happened. I admire your consistency. The box was released, in a form expanded from the original three-disc concept (that's a hint, btw) and no amount of theorising on your part can change the inescapable fact that every last thing you claimed about the box being delayed was wrong... and now you've bumped a long-dormant thread for the sole purpose of doing the ashes & sackcloth routine once more: if anything is "kind of sad and disappointing" then it's this.

(... and walks away)

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
southbay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #322 on: March 28, 2012, 02:47:30 PM »

This whole thing could easily be solved if people just ignored him...

Summer's gone...it's finally sinking in
PhilCohen
« Reply #323 on: March 28, 2012, 02:57:22 PM »

This whole thing could easily be solved if people just ignored him...

The whole thing could also easily be solved if Capitol revealed at least some information, then we'd have something positive to discuss(the music) , but instead we're sniping at each other.
PhilCohen
« Reply #324 on: March 28, 2012, 03:02:42 PM »

Once again, you demonstrate that you've neither the least concept of what you're talking about, or what really happened. I admire your consistency. The box was released, in a form expanded from the original three-disc concept (that's a hint, btw) and no amount of theorising on your part can change the inescapable fact that every last thing you claimed about the box being delayed was wrong... and now you've bumped a long-dormant thread for the sole purpose of doing the ashes & sackcloth routine once more: if anything is "kind of sad and disappointing" then it's this.

(... and walks away)

Why was the thread long-dormant? Because Capitol won't reveal the information that would give us something positive to discuss: the music(i.E. the original purpose of this thread: to discuss the contents of the "50th Anniversary" CD releases).
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 10 11 12 [13] 14 15 16 17 18 ... 34 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx