gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 09:05:21 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 58 59 60 61 62 [63] 64 65 66 67 68 ... 79 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Stephen Desper Thread  (Read 718473 times)
Stephen W. Desper
Honored Guest

Maintain Dynamics - Keep Peaks below 100%

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1550 on: November 13, 2014, 05:05:56 PM »

COMMENT:

I know it has been quite a few months, even almost a year, since I said I would soon have a Study-Video educational release about more of my work with The Beach Boys. There have been a number of setbacks and I sincerely apologize for the delays. First, Will of Will C. Productions became rather busy with projects that pay his bills. So his voluntary efforts became harder to fit into a busy schedule. As delays mounted, I decided to reach out to other fans that could help in bringing these Study-Videos to release. About this time my main computer hard drive crashed. Although all the Study-Videos were backed up, it was still another setback I did not need. Then my dear sister had several emergency health issues immerge that required two long and complex operations to correct. This along with months of re-habilitation has been taking much of my time away from the book’s publication. She is now on the mend and I can say with some confidence that my future time can now be devoted to completing the publication of the study-videos.   

As fate would have it, a break came with a call from Jack Riley, the producer of the radio show “Magic Transistor Radio.” (J. Riley not J.Rieley). With a name like Magic Transistor Radio, you know it’s a Beach Boy friendly and hip University Radio Station show, hosted by WPRK-FM out of Rollins Collage, Winter Park, Orlando, Florida. (see link below) In the course of our planning for an interview, I asked Jack if he knew of anyone that might be able and willing to help with the Study-Videos as Will’s schedule was overloaded. The next day he called and enthusiastically suggested I contact his friend Mike Conner. He arranged a meeting and within a few minutes I knew this was a fan that would bring new energy and creative ideas to this project.

To my delight Mike was happy to help and I am also exceedingly glad that he is now involved. Briefly Mike and his family live near Orlando where Professor Mike Conner is Course Director of Music History at Full Sail University, Orlando Campus. Needless to say, his work with me is as a Beach Boy fan and not affiliated with the University. His concentration is popular music of the 1950s- 1980s, but I found him to be just as much a Beach Boys fanatic as any of us.

Our team still has the benefit of Will’s suggestions, but can now move much faster with Mike’s expertise on-board. Mike started his efforts with a Study-Video about Vega-tables I finished assembling over a year ago. He has finished converting those files to the study-video format also incorporating some of his own ideas. That Study-Video is now available at http://swdstudyvideos.com. Please welcome Mike Conner and enjoy the new Study-Video.

I can now confidently say that the book will be coming along soon.

Good Listening, ~Stephen W. Desper

Magic Transistor Radio – typical show >>>
https://archive.org/details/ZombiesWPRKInterviewWithRodArgentAndColinBlunstone
Custom Machine
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1551 on: November 13, 2014, 05:12:01 PM »

Stephen, I was listening to Charles Lloyd's 1979 LP Big Sur Tapestry today and have a question about side two, the thirty minute long Homage to the Universe.  You are credited as recording that track at Brian Wilson's home studio.  I'm assuming it was recorded sometime in the late sixties thru the early seventies, and am wondering if you recall the year, or better yet the month or season of the year.  Also, since the track is 30 minutes in length, did Charles Lloyd actually play the flute for that length of time non-stop, or was the recording put together from shorter recordings?  Any recollections you have of recording this highly relaxing piece of music would be appreciated.

Custom Machine
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1552 on: November 13, 2014, 05:15:45 PM »

I was typing my post above before seeing your post of a few minutes earlier.  Glad to hear your sister is on the mend and now doing well.  Looking forward to more study videos as well as the update of Recording Sunflower and Surfs Up.
zachrwolfe
« Reply #1553 on: November 13, 2014, 05:25:22 PM »

« Last Edit: December 20, 2018, 07:59:53 PM by zatch » Logged
Stephen W. Desper
Honored Guest

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1554 on: November 13, 2014, 06:16:08 PM »

Stephen, I was listening to Charles Lloyd's 1979 LP Big Sur Tapestry today and have a question about side two, the thirty minute long Homage to the Universe.  You are credited as recording that track at Brian Wilson's home studio.  I'm assuming it was recorded sometime in the late sixties thru the early seventies, and am wondering if you recall the year, or better yet the month or season of the year.  Also, since the track is 30 minutes in length, did Charles Lloyd actually play the flute for that length of time non-stop, or was the recording put together from shorter recordings?  Any recollections you have of recording this highly relaxing piece of music would be appreciated.

COMMENT:  I am sorry but I do not recall the dates of the session. If giving a guess, I would say that a later date in your time-frame is more likely to be correct. My recording dates with Mr. Lloyd were more frequent at the decade's change. As to the 30 minute track . . .    Charles Lloyd takes his spiritual self quite seriously. He practiced TM sincerely and without pretense. It was as much part of his person as was his flute playing. It was usual for Charles to meditate 1/2 to one hour prior to a flute session. Once that session started you could expect it to last as long as, well, it was to last. From an engineer's point of view, you best have double masters available for recording since Charles could exceed the standard tape reel's recording time. So another tape must be started before the first one ends. I cannot say for certain that what you hear on Big Sur Tapestry is one complete take, but most of them were. He very rarely punched-in to add something, and certainly never to correct something. That would be sacrilege"! to Charles' way of recording. His vamps were one complete creation, so I doubt what you hear on  Big Sur Tapestry is a collection of separated time sequences.  ~SWD  
« Last Edit: November 13, 2014, 06:24:11 PM by Stephen W. Desper » Logged
Stephen W. Desper
Honored Guest

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1555 on: November 13, 2014, 06:22:02 PM »

COMMENT:

I know it has been quite a few months, even almost a year, since I said I would soon have a Study-Video educational release about more of my work with The Beach Boys. There have been a number of setbacks and I sincerely apologize for the delays. First, Will of Will C. Productions became rather busy with projects that pay his bills. So his voluntary efforts became harder to fit into a busy schedule. As delays mounted, I decided to reach out to other fans that could help in bringing these Study-Videos to release. About this time my main computer hard drive crashed. Although all the Study-Videos were backed up, it was still another setback I did not need. Then my dear sister had several emergency health issues immerge that required two long and complex operations to correct. This along with months of re-habilitation has been taking much of my time away from the book’s publication. She is now on the mend and I can say with some confidence that my future time can now be devoted to completing the publication of the study-videos.   

As fate would have it, a break came with a call from Jack Riley, the producer of the radio show “Magic Transistor Radio.” (J. Riley not J.Rieley). With a name like Magic Transistor Radio, you know it’s a Beach Boy friendly and hip University Radio Station show, hosted by WPRK-FM out of Rollins Collage, Winter Park, Orlando, Florida. (see link below) In the course of our planning for an interview, I asked Jack if he knew of anyone that might be able and willing to help with the Study-Videos as Will’s schedule was overloaded. The next day he called and enthusiastically suggested I contact his friend Mike Conner. He arranged a meeting and within a few minutes I knew this was a fan that would bring new energy and creative ideas to this project.

To my delight Mike was happy to help and I am also exceedingly glad that he is now involved. Briefly Mike and his family live near Orlando where Professor Mike Conner is Course Director of Music History at Full Sail University, Orlando Campus. Needless to say, his work with me is as a Beach Boy fan and not affiliated with the University. His concentration is popular music of the 1950s- 1980s, but I found him to be just as much a Beach Boys fanatic as any of us.

Our team still has the benefit of Will’s suggestions, but can now move much faster with Mike’s expertise on-board. Mike started his efforts with a Study-Video about Vega-tables I finished assembling over a year ago. He has finished converting those files to the study-video format also incorporating some of his own ideas. That Study-Video is now available at http://swdstudyvideos.com. Please welcome Mike Conner and enjoy the new Study-Video.

Magic Transistor Radio – typical show >>>
https://archive.org/details/ZombiesWPRKInterviewWithRodArgentAndColinBlunstone

P.S. Thanks to you all for your kind wishes to my sister. ~swd
Mitchell
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1556 on: November 16, 2014, 05:07:06 PM »

Great to see you active again and glad to hear that your sister is doing well.

Thanks for the new video. I do love that song. The Smiley Smile version is very dry, though some reverb was added to the Hawthorne, CA stereo remix. Your new version adds very interesting depth and width to the sound image, which allowed me to hear little details more clearly than I had before.

Watch out for snakes!
Alan Smith
Smiley Smile Associate

I'm still here bitches and I know everything. –A

View Profile
« Reply #1557 on: November 24, 2014, 07:36:36 PM »

COMMENT:

Hi Stephen, Will and welcome Mike!

The Vega-tables study video! FANTASTIC! and ticks all the boxes.

Great exploration of a very simple but highly effective recording replete with historical context in relation to the original recording - as per the usual standard of study videos to date.

But now enhanced with a better visual approach - I think you've made a great decision to present a "canvas" that has active and static elements on display - looking quite stylish too with the spiffy graphics; loved the spinning 45 graphic and the retro style coloured vertical bars the 45 hovers over.

Also nice of you to now cater for the headphone set - I gave it a try out of curiousity and quite enjoyed the knocks coming from outside of my head.  Overall though, the enhancements work best through stereo speakers (imo) for that room filling experience (and with eyes closed on 2nd or 3rd playing, once you've read through the guide detail).

I wait in patient anticipation for the ongoing work you have planned - it's wonderful stuff; thanks for persevering through the set-backs and more important concerns you've had in the past year in order to give us these fantastic insights - cheers - A

ESQ - Subscribe Now!!!

A new Beach Boys forum is here! http://beachboys.boards.net/
MEConner
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1558 on: November 25, 2014, 06:15:33 PM »

Hi Stephen, Will and welcome Mike!

The Vega-tables study video! FANTASTIC! and ticks all the boxes.

Great exploration of a very simple but highly effective recording replete with historical context in relation to the original recording - as per the usual standard of study videos to date.

But now enhanced with a better visual approach - I think you've made a great decision to present a "canvas" that has active and static elements on display - looking quite stylish too with the spiffy graphics; loved the spinning 45 graphic and the retro style coloured vertical bars the 45 hovers over.

Also nice of you to now cater for the headphone set - I gave it a try out of curiousity and quite enjoyed the knocks coming from outside of my head.  Overall though, the enhancements work best through stereo speakers (imo) for that room filling experience (and with eyes closed on 2nd or 3rd playing, once you've read through the guide detail).

I wait in patient anticipation for the ongoing work you have planned - it's wonderful stuff; thanks for persevering through the set-backs and more important concerns you've had in the past year in order to give us these fantastic insights - cheers - A

Alan,

Thank you so much for your positive feedback.  It is a true honor to work with Mr. Desper and I am incredibly excited about this opportunity. We are beginning the next video and I look forward to the discussion that will follow.  Steve's book is truly amazing. His recollections stand as an invaluable first-hand source for Beach Boys fans.
boco
Smiley Smile Newbie

View Profile
« Reply #1559 on: November 25, 2014, 07:39:35 PM »

Wow! Great new experience of Vega-Tables and insight into your technique.  I was especially excited when I saw that it would be a spatialized mix of the extended version - I definitely share your enthusiasm for this recording!  Thank you as well to Professor Conner for stepping in to assist.
SloopJohnB
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1560 on: November 26, 2014, 07:52:27 AM »

Thank you Stephen for taking the time to share this with us. Looking forward to the book being released!

I don't know where, but their music sends me there
Pleasure Island!!!!!!! and a slice of cheese pizza.
brother john
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1561 on: November 29, 2014, 04:51:30 AM »

Great Stuff, the new Study Video really adds to experience of Vegetables - fascinating. And thanks of course to Mr Conner for his video work - welcome aboard the good ship SmileySmile.net!

Religion is a privilege, not a right.
Alan Smith
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1562 on: December 31, 2014, 11:33:28 PM »

Hi Stephen - happy birthday!

ESQ - Subscribe Now!!!

Stephen W. Desper
Honored Guest

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1563 on: January 07, 2015, 07:29:25 AM »

COMMENT:  Although you are four months ahead of schedule, I'll take your sentiment with a sincere thank you!.
~swd
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1564 on: January 08, 2015, 09:06:07 PM »

COMMENT:  Although you are four months ahead of schedule, I'll take your sentiment with a sincere thank you!.
~swd

Stephen, I hope the original BB bandmembers get to watch some of the study videos sometime, I'm sure they'd be in for a treat if they have any interest in revisiting the amazing details like we do!
Alan Smith
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1565 on: January 11, 2015, 09:21:42 PM »

~swd

LOL Whoa, 4 months ahead!  I coulda sworn I saw your name in the upcoming birthday list on the main page here the day I posted.

Oh well - anyway, YES! Bank it for your actual birthday!  The pleasure is all ours - cheers - A

ESQ - Subscribe Now!!!

harrisonjon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1566 on: January 14, 2015, 11:15:29 AM »

Hi Stephen. I'd be grateful for a brief reply to these queries:

1) A version of "Country Air" I recently heard on Youtube seems to have less hiss than past versions I've heard. Have recent remasters resolved that old problem?

2) Did Brian have any input into the 'long' instrumental intro to 'Til I Die'?

3) How much of the Spring album is Brian's studio work?
« Last Edit: January 14, 2015, 11:17:03 AM by harrisonjon » Logged
rogerlancelot
« Reply #1567 on: January 18, 2015, 11:03:42 PM »

I have a question regarding the song "Never Learn Not To Love". We all know the history behind the song, my question is who was responsible for the incredible arrangement on 20/20? There's a lot going on there! And thank you for the study videos.
Stephen W. Desper
Honored Guest

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1568 on: January 22, 2015, 11:04:51 AM »

Hi Stephen. I'd be grateful for a brief reply to these queries:

1) A version of "Country Air" I recently heard on Youtube seems to have less hiss than past versions I've heard. Have recent remasters resolved that old problem?

2) Did Brian have any input into the 'long' instrumental intro to 'Til I Die'?

3) How much of the Spring album is Brian's studio work?

COMMENT or answers to questions:

1)  I wouldn't place much credence with judging fidelity on YouTube. If you think the hiss problem lies with the original master, then re-mastering using a digital algorithm to remove the hiss may be what you are hearing. I have never liked what these approaches do to the sound while removing the hiss, but they do remove hiss. OR perhaps you just are not hearing the hiss do to the lack of top-end response via YouTube. It is MP3 after all.

2) No. I mixed that with no one around and actually made it for my own entertainment. I eventually loaned my copy to BRI who published my version on CD. By the way, the so-called Master is really a cassette copy, I made directly from the mixing console one late evening. I played it in my car for several years before it was copied and issued onto a CD offered to the public.

3) Marylyn and I differ on this estimate, but I would say about 5% of the time whereas she thinks it's more like 25%. You ask about his studio involvement and I'd still say it was around five or ten percent -- not much. But don't forget that he wrote and produced some of the tracks, and that may be included in her estimate. I recorded and mixed the album, which accounts for much of the actual studio time, but remember that Brian and his wife (of that time) spent many more hours together in their home. During that time Brian could have been working out details of which I'm not aware. Of course, it goes without saying that without Brian, the album would never have been.
   ~swd
Stephen W. Desper
Honored Guest

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1569 on: January 22, 2015, 11:26:21 AM »

I have a question regarding the song "Never Learn Not To Love". We all know the history behind the song, my question is who was responsible for the incredible arrangement on 20/20? There's a lot going on there! And thank you for the study videos.

COMMENT:  I guess I'm a unique fellow in the universe having been the guy who recorded both the Manson demo and the Beach Boy final song. 

To answer your question, Manson only had a song with basic chords on the guitar and a melody lead line. It was the 'Boys who took that basic concept and turned it into a real commercial tune. All the added vocal arrangement throughout the entire song was created by Brian and Carl. Manson was only in the studio one evening, by himself and his silent girls. He never conferred or worked in any way with the group.

If Manson had not been so impatient in his quest for stardom, he may have made some money with this song, but as we know his desires took an evil pathway resulting in much tragedy and mayhem.
    ~swd
alf wiedersehen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1570 on: January 22, 2015, 06:02:01 PM »

Speaking of "Country Air", I have a question about an odd, interference-like noise that shows up in all versions of the song that I've heard. It starts at about 1:17, during a short time when there's no singing. It get's the most audible at about 1:22 or so. Almost sounds like what happens when your cell phone gets too close to your computer speakers. Do you happen to know what this is, Mr. Desper?
Michael Edward Osbourne
Smiley Smile Associate

My name is Lovecifer. Please take my hand. \m/

View Profile
« Reply #1571 on: January 22, 2015, 06:57:03 PM »

Speaking of "Country Air", I have a question about an odd, interference-like noise that shows up in all versions of the song that I've heard. It starts at about 1:17, during a short time when there's no singing. It get's the most audible at about 1:22 or so. Almost sounds like what happens when your cell phone gets too close to your computer speakers. Do you happen to know what this is, Mr. Desper?

I've noticed that sound too. Sounds like a bee flying by a microphone or something...
Amazing Larry
Smiley Smile Associate

There's a new daddy in town...

View Profile
« Reply #1572 on: January 22, 2015, 08:15:33 PM »

That would be a messed up cable distorting the Chamberlin's output.

A discipline daddy.
rogerlancelot
« Reply #1573 on: January 23, 2015, 01:07:17 PM »

COMMENT:  I guess I'm a unique fellow in the universe having been the guy who recorded both the Manson demo and the Beach Boy final song. 

To answer your question, Manson only had a song with basic chords on the guitar and a melody lead line. It was the 'Boys who took that basic concept and turned it into a real commercial tune. All the added vocal arrangement throughout the entire song was created by Brian and Carl. Manson was only in the studio one evening, by himself and his silent girls. He never conferred or worked in any way with the group.

If Manson had not been so impatient in his quest for stardom, he may have made some money with this song, but as we know his desires took an evil pathway resulting in much tragedy and mayhem.
    ~swd

Thank you so much for answering my question, Stephen. It is an incredible arrangement with flutes, pedal steel, fuzz bass, sleigh bells, etc. I really love it and am not too surprised that it was Brian and Carl who made it so beautiful but it was nice to have it confirmed.
Micha
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1574 on: January 25, 2015, 04:49:19 AM »

Manson only had a song with basic chords on the guitar and a melody lead line. It was the 'Boys who took that basic concept and turned it into a real commercial tune. All the added vocal arrangement throughout the entire song was created by Brian and Carl.

Brian and Carl did that? Given the production credit of Dennis and Carl I had naturally assumed Brian didn't work on it. What was Dennis' role in the production? Did Brian work on "Be With Me" too?

Ceterum censeo SMiLEBrianum OSDumque esse excludendos banno.
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 58 59 60 61 62 [63] 64 65 66 67 68 ... 79 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx