gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680855 Posts in 27617 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 28, 2024, 05:19:30 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 21 22 23 [24] 25 26 27 28 29 ... 79 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Stephen Desper Thread  (Read 723217 times)
Bicyclerider
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #575 on: February 28, 2006, 06:56:29 PM »

I was referring to Stephen speeding up the vocal on that track, as he has related (on this thread somewhere I believe).  Maybe he could have gotten that high on his own but he didn't on that track - the vocal was altered.
Joshilyn Hoisington
Honored Guest

Aeijtzsche

View Profile
« Reply #576 on: February 28, 2006, 07:10:41 PM »

I disagree, and I don't recall Stephen mentioning speeding that vocal up.  Again, compare the timbre of Al's voice on this to his performance on Loop De Loop.
Bicyclerider
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #577 on: March 01, 2006, 02:28:27 PM »

This is what Stephen originally posted for Be Here in the Morning:
000-006.... Start of Song, Brian humming

006-021.... Speeded up Brian Lead Vocal

025-033.... Normal Speed Brian Lead Vocal/Brian Doubles Lead/Brian OD, ah-ha/Group ooo's

035-043.... Brian Lead Vocal/Brian Doubles Lead/Brian OD, ah-ha

047-102.... Speeded up Brian Lead Vocal, then Brian and Alan

105 -124.... Brian Lead recorded through Leslie rotating speaker/Brian OD, ah-ha/Group ooo's

127-137.... Organ vamp

138-147.... Dennis, humming

148-201.... Brian Lead Vocal/Brian Doubled Lead Vocal

201-end.... Dennis, humming

This song was recorded on a Scully or Ampex, think it was Scully. Anyway, the capstan shaft rotates and a rubber puck pushes the tape against the spinning capstan and pulls the tape through, past the recording heads, onto the take-up reel. If you roll a layer (or two) of masking tape onto the capstan -- wrapping it around the shaft -- this effectively makes the diameter larger and since the speed remains the same, pulls the tape slower through the machine. Then remove the tape wrap and play the tape. Anything recorded is slightly higher in pitch. So if you can't reach a note -- do the wrap thing and, presto, instant singing range increase! ~swd

Then he amended it to correct the lead vocal as being Alan:

BE HERE IN THE MORNING

000-006.... Start of Song, Brian humming

006-021.... Alan singing very high Lead Vocal

025-033.... Carl Lead Vocal/Brian Doubles Part, ah-ha/Group ooo's/Murry Wilson (father) sings very last low note. A note that mike could not reach.

035-043.... Carl Lead Vocal/Brian Doubles Part, ah-ha

047-102.... Alan singing high Lead Vocal, then Brian and Alan

105 -124.... Brian Lead recorded through Leslie rotating speaker/Brian OD, ah-ha/Group ooo's

127-137.... Organ vamp

138-147.... Dennis, humming

148-201.... Carl Lead Vocal/Brian Doubles Part

201-end.... Dennis, humming

I assumed that just because it was Alan, not Brian, that did not invalidate his previous explanation of how he sped the lead vocal up.
Stephen W. Desper
Honored Guest

Maintain Dynamics - Keep Peaks below 100%

View Profile WWW
« Reply #578 on: March 01, 2006, 04:16:12 PM »

COMMENNT --

At one time or another I as well as Chuck Britz have played with the speed of vocal recording for every member of the group -- for what it's worth.
  ~swd
Uncomfortable Seat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #579 on: March 01, 2006, 08:43:22 PM »

Hi Stephen,

Did Mike ever verbalize why he started growing his beard long circa 1969?

"There's one thing I do that's kind of a personal thing -- I tell jokes sometimes which are corny, which are outright stupid, and bomb. That, to me, is funny when nobody laughs."
JRauch
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #580 on: March 02, 2006, 03:46:45 AM »

Mike never wanted a beard. He shaved two times a day, but his hair grew way too fast.  Cool

Dance as if no one's looking. Wrestle things out to bring moment to your own sense of discovery, and make the world a better place. This is no time for whiners.  –  Van Dyke Parks
Bubba Ho-Tep
« Reply #581 on: March 02, 2006, 09:06:49 AM »

Mr. Desper,

Elsewhere on the board we were inquiring about the photoshoot for the Stack-O-Tracks album cover and wondered if you recollected anything about it. There are 2 sets of pictures in existence of the Boys surrounding a stack of tape boxes. They have different outfits on in each set, thus leading to the assumption that they were shot on different days. We thought that Brian looked particularly troubled in some of the photos. Do you remember when these shots were done and did you participate in rounding up the tapes? Any anecdote you may have about it would be helpful.

Thanks.
Stephen W. Desper
Honored Guest

View Profile WWW
« Reply #582 on: March 03, 2006, 05:40:00 AM »

Mr. Desper,
Do you remember when these shots were done for 20/20 and did you participate in rounding up the tapes? Any anecdote you may have about it would be helpful.
Thanks.
The 20/20 cover was handled by Capitol's art department.  I was not involved. ~swd
Stephen W. Desper
Honored Guest

View Profile WWW
« Reply #583 on: March 03, 2006, 05:45:06 AM »

Hi Stephen,

He once made a comment that he wanted to emulate Maharishi Mahesh Yogi. That was when the beard and the robe came along.  ~swd
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #584 on: March 03, 2006, 06:03:58 AM »

Hi Stephen,
any plans to write another book on 20/20 and Friends in the style of your "Recording the Beach Boys"? Love that one...

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
Uncomfortable Seat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #585 on: March 03, 2006, 02:30:07 PM »

Hi Stephen,

He once made a comment that he wanted to emulate Maharishi Mahesh Yogi. That was when the beard and the robe came along.  ~swd
Thanks for the answer!  There are lots of photos and film of Mike wearing the robe onstage during the May/June 1969 tour of Europe.  Do you recall if Mike wore the robe onstage Stateside as well?

"There's one thing I do that's kind of a personal thing -- I tell jokes sometimes which are corny, which are outright stupid, and bomb. That, to me, is funny when nobody laughs."
Stephen W. Desper
Honored Guest

View Profile WWW
« Reply #586 on: March 03, 2006, 04:28:30 PM »

Hi Stephen,

Thanks for the answer!  There are lots of photos and film of Mike wearing the robe onstage during the May/June 1969 tour of Europe.  Do you recall if Mike wore the robe onstage Stateside as well?
[/quote]Many times. ~swd
Uncomfortable Seat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #587 on: March 04, 2006, 12:50:02 AM »

I remember reading that the Beach Boys once brought a Baldwin electric harpsichord on tour with them as well as a piano tuning guy whose sole duty was to tune the harpsichord.  Can you vouch for the veracity of this tale?

Stephen W. Desper
Honored Guest

View Profile WWW
« Reply #588 on: March 05, 2006, 06:25:37 PM »

I remember reading that the Beach Boys once brought a Baldwin electric harpsichord on tour with them as well as a piano tuning guy whose sole duty was to tune the harpsichord.  Can you vouch for the veracity of this tale?
The black and red "electric" Baldwin harpsichord I know of never went on tour.  The parts it plays are not that important for a road show. If it ever did before my time, harpsichords are simple to tune -- you could do it in 10 minutes with a wrench and pitchpipe. I use to tune the one at the studio. Since every town and certainly every concert hall has an "on-call" tuner guy it would be dumb to have one travel with a group.  Even concert pianists don't go to that extreme -- not even Sir Elton.  To my knowledge it's a tale all right pee wee!   Wink  ~swd
Mitchell
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #589 on: March 06, 2006, 12:17:53 PM »

Hi Stephen, I was wondering if you'd like to talk about your favourite "moment" with the Beach Boys, in terms of something you recorded in the studio with them. What I mean is, your favourite sound or recorded event or anything of that nature... maybe your favourite achieved effect and how you did it, or something... (For example,  a lot of people love the "deep and wide" section of Time to Get Alone).

Watch out for snakes!
Uncomfortable Seat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #590 on: March 06, 2006, 12:20:28 PM »

The black and red "electric" Baldwin harpsichord I know of never went on tour.  The parts it plays are not that important for a road show. If it ever did before my time, harpsichords are simple to tune -- you could do it in 10 minutes with a wrench and pitchpipe. I use to tune the one at the studio. Since every town and certainly every concert hall has an "on-call" tuner guy it would be dumb to have one travel with a group.  Even concert pianists don't go to that extreme -- not even Sir Elton.  To my knowledge it's a tale all right pee wee!   Wink  ~swd
What songs can we hear that particular instrument on?  Time To Get Alone, perhaps?

sloopjasonb
Smiley Smile Newbie

View Profile
« Reply #591 on: March 08, 2006, 04:51:13 PM »

Hi Stephen... I was wondering if you had any advice on recording vocal harmonies... i totally dig the ones you recorded for the Beach Boys... especially the add some music harmonies... I am working with my group The Explorers Club on recording some harmonies and we were wondering if we should double track them or not?  maybe a "fake" double tracking would work (thats how it sounds to me on stuff like with me tonight from Smiley Smile) ... any tips you have on recording some vocal harmonies would be great...

feel free to give us a listen --- www.myspace.com/explorersclub -- very bb influenced for sure.
Jonas
Smiley Smile Associate

I've got the Beach Boys, my friends got the Stones

View Profile
« Reply #592 on: March 08, 2006, 05:21:19 PM »

Stephen,

Are any of the songs in Friends pitched up/down at all?

Thanks!
-J

We would like to record under an atmosphere of calmness. - Brian Wilson
--
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g1IgXT3xFdU
Reverend Joshua Sloane
Smiley Smile Associate

Since I cannot rouse heaven I intend to raise hell

View Profile
« Reply #593 on: March 09, 2006, 01:26:12 PM »

Stephen, I have a quick question which may have been asked of you at some point.

During the Friends album, there are several oddities buried beneath the music. Certain noises which would usually be carefully removed from a recording. Such noises are often thought to be detrimental to the overall listen of a song, a belief which believes them to be of the work of lazyness and apathy. I strongly disagree with that notion, and suggest that all of those little noises which throughout the Friends album are yet more examples of real human life happening beyond the music. Computer technology I suppose has made it an easy process to remove glitches and such (Of course...not for Our Prayer on BWPS) but I feel that the aspect of minor mistake and fumbling should be left in. Were these little blips noticed by yourself and the Beach Boys upon recording and mixing? If so, were there major attempts to remove such noises, or were they left in for any reason on purpose?

Once again, sorry if it has been asked. One day I assume we'll run out of things to ask anyway, that'll be time to leave.

Did it ever occur to you, Cable, how wise and bountiful God was to put breasts on a woman? Just the right number in just the right place. Did you ever notice that, Cable?
Joshilyn Hoisington
Honored Guest

Aeijtzsche

View Profile
« Reply #594 on: March 09, 2006, 01:35:56 PM »

Not to bring you down or anything Steve, but would you mind clarifying for me how involved you were on Friends?  If you could ballpark a percentage, or something.  You've often spoke of how Jimmy was still employed as the "lead engineer" but often sidelined with illness.  Did you find that your coverage for Jim increased as time went on or was it really just a case by case basis, regardless of the chronology of the album-making?  Do you feel like you worked on Friends enough to get a specific credit on the back along with Mr. Lockert, or was Diane's catch-all thank you to the Beach Boys musician friends enough for you?
Jonas
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #595 on: March 09, 2006, 01:41:41 PM »

I still dont hear this glitch in Our Prayer (BWPS) that everyones talkin about...

--
Reverend Joshua Sloane
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #596 on: March 09, 2006, 03:13:19 PM »

I still dont hear this glitch in Our Prayer (BWPS) that everyones talkin about...

Press play.

Boom. You already missed it.

It's quiet but noticable.

Did it ever occur to you, Cable, how wise and bountiful God was to put breasts on a woman? Just the right number in just the right place. Did you ever notice that, Cable?
Jonas
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #597 on: March 09, 2006, 03:30:59 PM »

Shrug

--
Charles LePage @ ComicList
Chairman Of The Board

Hit me with your pet shark.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #598 on: March 09, 2006, 03:45:23 PM »

Not to bring you down or anything Steve, but would you mind clarifying for me how involved you were on Friends?  If you could ballpark a percentage, or something.  You've often spoke of how Jimmy was still employed as the "lead engineer" but often sidelined with illness.  Did you find that your coverage for Jim increased as time went on or was it really just a case by case basis, regardless of the chronology of the album-making?  Do you feel like you worked on Friends enough to get a specific credit on the back along with Mr. Lockert, or was Diane's catch-all thank you to the Beach Boys musician friends enough for you?

Have you read this?

http://smileysmile.net/desper/friends.html

"quiet here, no one got crap to say?" - bringahorseinhere
Reverend Joshua Sloane
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #599 on: March 09, 2006, 03:47:59 PM »

Shrug

It's not before it starts, but while the first note is sung. Listen closely, with head phones.

gfx
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 21 22 23 [24] 25 26 27 28 29 ... 79 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx