gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680852 Posts in 27616 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 27, 2024, 11:05:07 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: What parts in The Smile Sessions weren't recorded during the Smile sessions?  (Read 2340 times)
Puggal
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: January 02, 2012, 10:41:02 PM »

There seem to be many parts, especially vocal tracks, included in The Smile Sessions that were recorded well after Smile was shelved. In Surf's Up, for example, Carl's vocal, the bass Moog, and entire outro was recorded during the Surf's Up sessions in 1971. What else was recorded after Smile was shelved?

Some things I've found:
Much of Heroes and Villains, especially the vocal tracks, were probably recorded during the Smiley Smile sessions in the summer of 1967. 

Brian's a capella vocal in Vega-Tables was most likely recorded during the Smiley Smile sessions.

The "whispering winds" vocal in Holidays was probably recorded during the Smiley Smile sessions.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2012, 10:45:31 PM by Grave Robber 9 » Logged
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2012, 11:00:42 PM »

The Water Chant was recorded in late 1967.

Surf's Up 1967, obviously.

Carl's scat fly-ins on Dada.

Must be more, but insomnia's a bitch.

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2012, 11:09:03 PM »

Granted it takes a little digging, and a magnifying glass, but all the info you seek is in the box set booklet sessionography.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
soniclovenoize
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2012, 07:53:06 AM »

I've noticed that the parts recorded "at home" after SMiLE was scrapped are very dry sounding...  possibly due to a lack of a great vocal room? 

Zach95
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2012, 10:24:43 AM »

I've noticed that the parts recorded "at home" after SMiLE was scrapped are very dry sounding...  possibly due to a lack of a great vocal room? 

I've thought of this before, and perhaps I'm sounding a little naive when I say this, but weren't great sounding albums like Sunflower and Surf's Up also recorded in Brian's home studio?  Granted, I've heard the things about the vocals on Smiley Smile (or at least some of them) being recorded in the empty pool and such...but other than technological advancements, why does Sunflower and Surf's Up sound just so much superior than say Smiley, Wild Honey, and Friends?  Was it simply a lack of focus and effort on the band's part...or Brian's lack of enthusiasm, or did technology really play that big a role? I mean...it seems as if the sound quality went DOWN after Pet Sounds/Smile, so that doesn't make sense other than the home studio being unfit for commercial recording.  But then we have Sunflower and Surf's UP...and...I'm just all confused by the whole thing.

I hope that made sense.

Ain't nothin' upside your head!
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2012, 10:32:26 AM »

By the time Sunflower, Surf's Up and so on had been recorded, Brian's studio had been upgraded significantly and even had an echo chamber made out of the old chauffeurs quarters above the garage. I believe initially the equipment had been rented from Wally Heider Studios (Right, guitarfool?) and in another incarnation doubled as the bands touring set-up (also, Stephen Desper did tour with the group, leaving Brian without his principal engineer). It is also worth noting that Brian never really stopped using the studios downtown, which accounts for good sound.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2012, 10:33:43 AM by hypehat » Logged

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.

Zach95
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2012, 10:36:18 AM »

By the time Sunflower, Surf's Up and so on had been recorded, Brian's studio had been upgraded significantly and even had an echo chamber made out of the old chauffeurs quarters above the garage. I believe initially the equipment had been rented from Wally Heider Studios (Right, guitarfool?) and in another incarnation doubled as the bands touring set-up (also, Stephen Desper did tour with the group, leaving Brian without his principal engineer). It is also worth noting that Brian never really stopped using the studios downtown, which accounts for good sound.

Oh okay, that clears things up significantly for me! So, Brian did use the studios downtown, and the band didn't necessarily record everything at the house?

hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2012, 11:09:03 AM »

Not necessarily everything, although more often than not it's at the house in the period. I'd suggest studying Bellagio 10452  Grin

Zach95
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2012, 03:46:35 PM »

Not necessarily everything, although more often than not it's at the house in the period. I'd suggest studying Bellagio 10452  Grin

Of course, the greatest Beach Boys informative source on the web!  Grin

Puggal
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2012, 08:34:21 PM »

Granted it takes a little digging, and a magnifying glass, but all the info you seek is in the box set booklet sessionography.

I don't have the box set, just the standard two disc release. Has the sessionography been posted somewhere online?
« Last Edit: January 03, 2012, 08:36:07 PM by Grave Robber 9 » Logged
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2012, 10:40:53 PM »

I don't have the box set, just the standard two disc release. Has the sessionography been posted somewhere online?

I'm in the same boat as you...can't afford the box!

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Sam_BFC
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 04, 2012, 08:42:36 AM »

I mean...it seems as if the sound quality went DOWN after Pet Sounds/Smile, so that doesn't make sense other than the home studio being unfit for commercial recording.  

Sure the production quality was less, err elaborate, but is the sound quality really worse?

It is a very interesting topic actually, because there is a marked change in the sound of everything post Pet Sounds/Smile - for obvious reasons.  Aside from the obvious though, I think a lot of the Smiley stuff sounds kinda cleaner than the stuff that came before.  For instance, If you listen to the vocal mixes from the PS set it sounds like there is a lot of saturation that probably comes from driving the preamps/console quite hard (and of course there is that glorious reverb) that isn't there on the Smiley vocals.  And perhaps the fact that Brian was so into bouncing down to free up more tracks during the 'hits' era also resulted in some degregation.

That said, I think most agree that the Wild Honey mix is a little dull/muddy etc.

"..be cautious, don't get your hopes up, look over your shoulder because heartbreak and darkness are always ready to pounce"

petsoundsnola
Puggal
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 04, 2012, 04:07:23 PM »

I'm in the same boat as you...can't afford the box!

I can afford the box, but I'm not interested in hearing all of the outtakes. I just wanted to hear the "finished" Smile with Beach Boys vocals.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2012, 04:10:12 PM by Grave Robber 9 » Logged
Zach95
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 04, 2012, 06:39:29 PM »

I mean...it seems as if the sound quality went DOWN after Pet Sounds/Smile, so that doesn't make sense other than the home studio being unfit for commercial recording.  

Sure the production quality was less, err elaborate, but is the sound quality really worse?

It is a very interesting topic actually, because there is a marked change in the sound of everything post Pet Sounds/Smile - for obvious reasons.  Aside from the obvious though, I think a lot of the Smiley stuff sounds kinda cleaner than the stuff that came before.  For instance, If you listen to the vocal mixes from the PS set it sounds like there is a lot of saturation that probably comes from driving the preamps/console quite hard (and of course there is that glorious reverb) that isn't there on the Smiley vocals.  And perhaps the fact that Brian was so into bouncing down to free up more tracks during the 'hits' era also resulted in some degregation.

That said, I think most agree that the Wild Honey mix is a little dull/muddy etc.

You make an interesting point, I suppose I'm not distinguishing production so much from sound quality.  However, Wild Honey, like you mentioned, definitely sounds different in terms of clarity than the other records.  Listening to the Unsurpassed Masters stuff, the Wild Honey outtakes, the backing tracks really sound great in stereo, as do the vocals, so as many people here have mentioned a stereo Wild Honey would be superb. 

hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 04, 2012, 07:15:53 PM »

It's definitely dry, until after Friends - echo is used very sparingly, the arrangements aren't bombastic like before, but possibly the installation of the echo chamber in Bellagio might have changed the game, although I don't know when that was.

Certainly the shift between the Friends/20/20 and Sunflower styles of production indicate that it had happened then....

gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx