gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680751 Posts in 27615 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 19, 2024, 10:36:06 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 ... 30 Go Down Print
Author Topic: THE BEACH BOYS ANNOUNCE 50TH ANNIVERSARY REUNION, NEW ALBUM AND TOUR  (Read 145247 times)
STE
Smiley Smile Associate

"I'm not on top like I used to be"

View Profile
« Reply #75 on: December 16, 2011, 10:17:11 AM »

Holy f*ck!  YES!!

Replay!

pixletwin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #76 on: December 16, 2011, 10:17:43 AM »

I fail to understand the irrational hatred of Jeffery Foskett around here.

I don't think anyone hates him, but some of us are tired of hearing his voice mixed up front so prominently... Plus Christian just plain has a better Wilson sound (for obvious reasons).
SMiLE
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #77 on: December 16, 2011, 10:19:55 AM »

I fail to understand the irrational hatred of Jeffery Foskett around here.

Same here. I quite like his voice. I've never had a problem with his falsettos.
Agreed.  If it's not going to be Matt jardine, glad it's Foskett. I persoanlly can't take Randell Kirsch, too much Adrian Baker-esque for my taste.  As for the backing musicians, I can make out Nick, John Cowsill on drums, Scott Totten and David Marks on Guitar and Brett Simons on bass. I don't see Foskett in the actual video.  One question, on the vocal iso booths, who is in farthest booth, David Marks? Foskett?
I think thats Scott Bennett on bass. Oh no, wait that is Brett, never mind. I don't know any of Mike's people  so if anyone can clarify that it would be appreciated.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2011, 10:30:48 AM by SMiLE » Logged
Myk Luhv
Smiley Smile Associate

"...and I said, 'Oatmeal? Are you crazy?!'"

View Profile
« Reply #78 on: December 16, 2011, 10:26:38 AM »

Well as it stands now I'm still more excited about the future archival releases but this is (potentially) good news too! (And certainly historic I reckon, output notwithstanding.) I confess to being a little wary of Mike's executive producer credit but I'm hoping it won't be much else than that... As for the song? Well, pleasant as it is, I'm more curious about their actual original material, shall we say.                     
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #79 on: December 16, 2011, 10:26:50 AM »

It’s hard to say how indicative this footage is of who will be on this apparent “new album.” When was this “Do It Again” session? July or so? It could presumably not be the same set of musicians on the new album, and of course, it could be different musicians at different sessions. Brian was apparently cutting backing tracks for the BB album with Joe Thomas in the last few months and using some of Thomas’ session guys. It seemed like the “Do It Again” session just kind of featured elements of their touring bands because they were probably in the midst of touring at that time.  

It will no doubt be interesting to see who makes it onto the album and who is part of the touring band. It’s kind of looking like a hybrid of Mike and Brian’s band. It would be nice to see a few elements from the guys who have been working with Al. Matt Jardine would be my first pick for falsetto parts. It will be interesting to see if Al’s old BB touring band crew like Hinsche, Carter, or Figueroa would fit into any new stuff.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
Wylson
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #80 on: December 16, 2011, 10:30:35 AM »

Amazed nobody has mentioned Mike miming electric guitar at 36 secs...
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #81 on: December 16, 2011, 10:31:03 AM »

Speechless !!!!  Grin

I just hope Mike executive producing isn't a bad choice (remember Stars & Stripes)

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #82 on: December 16, 2011, 10:31:36 AM »

Well as it stands now I'm still more excited about the future archival releases but this is (potentially) good news too! (And certainly historic I reckon, output notwithstanding.) I confess to being a little wary of Mike's executive producer credit but I'm hoping it won't be much else than that... As for the song? Well, pleasant as it is, I'm more curious about their actual original material, shall we say.                     

Yeah, I wouldn’t mind if they put the “Do It Again” remake out as a single just to sort of hype up the reunion. But I’d rather not have any remakes on the actual album. These guys haven’t done a Beach Boys album with Brian since 1985 or 89 (depending on your definition), so they should have enough songs built up to not have to do any covers. I wonder also how Brian-centric the album is going to be. Is it going to be all Brian songs (with some Mike lyrics), or will Al or Bruce actually contribute any writing? Maybe hold back that “Waves of Love” track of Al’s for this Beach Boys album to have Carl on it?

I’ve very cautiously excited about “archival” releases. It sounds like we might get another “hits” compilation, maybe literally a 2-CD set with 50 songs. The boxed set sounds like it could be kind of an updated version of the “Good Vibrations” 1993 boxed set. At least that would allow some “rarities” to sneak in maybe. I would tend to doubt we’ll get “deluxe” reissues of every album, but hopefully we’ll get some good substantial stuff, especially some post-60’s stuff.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #83 on: December 16, 2011, 10:33:58 AM »

Never has the phrase "hope for the best, prepare for the worst" seemed more appropriate.
Smilin Ed H
« Reply #84 on: December 16, 2011, 10:34:26 AM »

Hasn't Brian said it's all new stuff?

I see people are bellyaching already.  Plenty of time to do that...
pixletwin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #85 on: December 16, 2011, 10:34:43 AM »

Dare we hope for WIBNTLA and CF?  Grin
CosmicDancer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #86 on: December 16, 2011, 10:35:42 AM »

In this previous thread:

http://smileysmile.net/board/index.php/topic,10672.0.html

Jon Stebbins reported that David indeed was not present for the session.  I wonder if they held a separate session to finish it that included David or perhaps they doctored the video to include him?

The thread also suggests, though it's never confirmed, that the session didn't go so well and didn't end harmoniously.  I wonder if anything has changed.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2011, 10:45:54 AM by CosmicDancer » Logged

The Un-Funny Alliance:  Are you not "good at being funny"?  Join us today in our mission to make the world a less funny place one "easy" fart joke at a time!
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #87 on: December 16, 2011, 10:39:34 AM »

Amazed nobody has mentioned Mike miming electric guitar at 36 secs...

It's David Marks. Probably not miming

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #88 on: December 16, 2011, 10:41:17 AM »

I’m personally not bellyaching about anything. Brian had said they’re doing new stuff, but I certainly don’t see any reason to rule out the possibility that they might try to include some sort of cover version of something. They’ve done it in the past, both on group and solo albums.

I just hope if they run out of presumably truly “new” material, they mine stuff like “You’re Still a Mystery” before going to remakes of their own stuff.

Roger Ryan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #89 on: December 16, 2011, 10:41:31 AM »

Well, to Brian, a new recording of "Do It Again" would qualify as "new stuff":  Wink

I thought Eddie Bayer was the session drummer for the "Do It Again" session? If the drummer shown is John Cowsill, I wonder if all of the footage is staged for publicity purposes.

A new box set seems like it would have to have some unreleased material on it, especially if the "hits" will be handled on a separate release.

I never doubted that Mike would request an "executive producer" credit on any new album - we'll just have to wait-and-see how much enthusiasm Brian brings to these sessions. I would hope he'd at least operate at the level of IN THE KEY OF DISNEY.

I consider a reunion to be fairly unnecessary, but if it was going to happen, I'm very happy David is involved.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2011, 10:42:29 AM by Roger Ryan » Logged
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #90 on: December 16, 2011, 10:42:31 AM »

I don't believe so.

And this press release flatly states that the DIA re-record is part of the album.

Actually, it doesn't. My bad.

Also of note:

Jon's article about BW working on a new BB album said Brian was working on 6-7 tracks. If true, that means he's writing only about half of the reunion record.

Also, the last BB album produced by BW with an ML credit was Stars and Stripes.

As I said: Hope for the best, prepare for the worst.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2011, 10:45:19 AM by Wirestone » Logged
Ram4
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #91 on: December 16, 2011, 10:46:18 AM »

Dare I say it, but has anyone confirmed that this video is actually from the sessions?  I know plenty of videos made in the studio that are not the real thing.  I bet those shots of them around one mike were simply for the visual effect and to remind us how they used to do it.  Nevertheless, it sounds really good for what it is.  The original material will be another story.  I hope it's a pleasant surprise and I really enjoy it.

I fear that this could be like The Eagles last album.  It had one great, classic sounding song and the rest was modern crap.  The reason that the song (How Long) sounded like classic early Eagles was that it was written back in 1972 and they played it live back then.    

I have never seen The Beach Boys Embarrassed, only Brian's band and I will definitely try to see this tour.  I just hope they play some SMiLE stuff.  Nice to have David Marks involved too.  I am stoked about the catalog releases and even this new box set they mentioned.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2011, 10:47:26 AM by Ram4 » Logged
anazgnos
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #92 on: December 16, 2011, 10:48:42 AM »

Never has the phrase "hope for the best, prepare for the worst" seemed more appropriate.

Yup.  All the talk about Foskett & autotune is bumming me out a little bit about this.  In theory I'd like to hear what the vocal blend of the five principals actually sound like on their own now, today, in 2011, but the sad thing is that new Beach Boys recordings might not even provide that much.  

Hoping for a Hollywood Bowl gig, though.  Would not miss it for the world.
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #93 on: December 16, 2011, 10:50:45 AM »

I don't believe so.

And this press release flatly states that the DIA re-record is part of the album.

Actually, it doesn't. My bad.

Also of note:

Jon's article about BW working on a new BB album said Brian was working on 6-7 tracks. If true, that means he's writing only about half of the reunion record.

Also, the last BB album produced by BW with an ML credit was Stars and Stripes.

As I said: Hope for the best, prepare for the worst.

I don't think the article about working on 6-7 songs tells us anything about how much he's going to write on the album. That's what he was working on at the time, but he could write more stuff, or not use those 6-7 songs. Hope for the best and prepare for the worst is indeed appropriate! Smiley

joshferrell
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #94 on: December 16, 2011, 10:50:53 AM »

My guess is that the footage isn't from the actual sessions but it's meant to be a Music video filmed later and we'll get a complete music video when the cd comes out or just before..of course it's miming on parts because thats how one makes a music video. David may not have been on the original recording but since he's going to be involved with the reuinion they put him in the Music Video. it's probebly as simple as that.
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #95 on: December 16, 2011, 10:52:47 AM »

My guess is that the footage isn't from the actual sessions but it's meant to be a Music video filmed later and we'll get a complete music video when the cd comes out or just before..of course it's miming on parts because thats how one makes a music video. David may not have been on the original recording but since he's going to be involved with the reuinion they put him in the Music Video. it's probebly as simple as that.

It's also possible we have a mixture of actual footage and staged footage. Would they really call all the backing musicians back weeks or months later just to mime to the song? It's probably a mixture, hence the David Marks footage.

Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #96 on: December 16, 2011, 10:54:34 AM »

Dare we hope for WIBNTLA and CF?  Grin

GOTTA release "Wouldn't It Be Nice To Live Again" next year. Just gotta!!

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
joshferrell
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #97 on: December 16, 2011, 10:57:47 AM »

It's also possible we have a mixture of actual footage and staged footage. Would they really call all the backing musicians back weeks or months later just to mime to the song? It's probably a mixture, hence the David Marks footage.
I guess it would depend on if there were cameras at the actual recording sessions or not..if there were then it could be a mixture but if not then they would have to call the backing musicians back to re-enact the studio stuff..but the point I was making is that it's a music video and doesn't have to be from the actual studio sessions..
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #98 on: December 16, 2011, 11:01:17 AM »

I just wish that Brian had given us more encouraging signs over the past couple of years.

It's hard not to feel like, once again, the big man is being forced into something that's not quite what he wants to do.

Now, I'm not saying he's dead set against it or anything, and the tour and album could have some really nice moments. But Brian does have a way of telegraphing how he feels about certain projects when he's not in full-on promo mode, and he's sounded less than thrilled about this.
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #99 on: December 16, 2011, 11:04:45 AM »

I was thinking "AutoTune" writing my original post but I didn't want to mention it...but yeah, that's what I think was going on there *if* that film was an actual vocal session.

And groups still cut live "group" vocals around a single microphone today, or a stereo x-y or whatever, in the studio, but if you want ultimate control over each voice for tuning and fixing later in the mix, then you do a setup as shown in that clip...if you want that. Or if you're a one-man-band who can't do group vocals. Smiley

I'm just saying, all those amazing times those guys gathered around a single mic, with perhaps Mike Love apart on his own mic for the deep voice, and nailed it as a group with an impeccable blend and control...they can still do that.

Wondering why they showed film in the same clip of them doing just that, around a single mic, but again that looked staged.

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
gfx
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 ... 30 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx