gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680773 Posts in 27615 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 23, 2024, 02:09:21 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 9 10 11 [12] 13 14 15 16 17 ... 30 Go Down Print
Author Topic: THE BEACH BOYS ANNOUNCE 50TH ANNIVERSARY REUNION, NEW ALBUM AND TOUR  (Read 145362 times)
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #275 on: December 17, 2011, 04:07:07 AM »

Wait a minute, is Phil Cohen slamming or naysaying again?

A Day In the Life of Phil Cohen.

Dawn: "Oh no, the sun rose again, just like it does every day, dammit - always the old stuff... but it's not going to set, you know, I've not heard anything about that."

Breakfast: "This syrup is wrong, it's not sweet enough, my syrup - www.philssyrup - is much better"

On the way to work: "Why did no-one tell me the train would be so crowded at 8.30am on a Tuesday ?  It's a conspiracy to hide the fact that they can't run a railroad, fer god's sake."

At work: "All these people in my office, just like yesterday. Well, it won't last, they won't be here tomorrow, just you wait".

On the way home: "Damn I'm tired - why is that, no-one's telling me anything, it's an outrage."

Dinner: "Well, the steak looks good, but I'll bet it tastes awful."

Sunset: "OK, OK, OK, so the sun set... but it won't rise tomorrow, that sun's in trouble I tell you."

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
vintagemusic
Smiley Smile Associate

That was great! Could we just try it once more

View Profile
« Reply #276 on: December 17, 2011, 04:27:34 AM »

Well Andrew I can be a negative guy too, but I stay usually, within the bounds of reality.

This is the same stuff we heard about SMiLE, oh its a myth, its not coming out bla bla

Is this a gag, are these handful of people like Phil having us on ?

I don't expect Pet Sounds two, or SMiLe, if the new studio album is halfway decent
or has a couple of real gems on there, I say Bravo and thank you!

If its a killer classic album like they did in their prime, well, even better. Either
way its gonna be a bargain at $15 USD or whatever the price tag is!

I want to know, I need to know about the new material, who wrote it, what does it sound like
how many are in the can, will they record just enough, or is there likely to be a lot of extra for
a second album later or bonus tracks later
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #277 on: December 17, 2011, 04:34:21 AM »

Just stuck in Soudns of Summer and it occurs, even if Mike insists they play hits, hits, hits, it makes for a faaacking great gig; with those voices an those presences on stage, it's a faaaaaaaacking great gig.

“We live in divisive times.”
Craig Boyd
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #278 on: December 17, 2011, 04:47:32 AM »

Wait a minute, is Phil Cohen slamming or naysaying again?

A Day In the Life of Phil Cohen.

Dawn: "Oh no, the sun rose again, just like it does every day, dammit - always the old stuff... but it's not going to set, you know, I've not heard anything about that."

Breakfast: "This syrup is wrong, it's not sweet enough, my syrup - www.philssyrup - is much better"

On the way to work: "Why did no-one tell me the train would be so crowded at 8.30am on a Tuesday ?  It's a conspiracy to hide the fact that they can't run a railroad, fer god's sake."

At work: "All these people in my office, just like yesterday. Well, it won't last, they won't be here tomorrow, just you wait".

On the way home: "Damn I'm tired - why is that, no-one's telling me anything, it's an outrage."

Dinner: "Well, the steak looks good, but I'll bet it tastes awful."

Sunset: "OK, OK, OK, so the sun set... but it won't rise tomorrow, that sun's in trouble I tell you."

You can't make that sh*t up  LOL
rogerlancelot
« Reply #279 on: December 17, 2011, 05:32:05 AM »

It will be Summer In Paradise Part 2.

Razz
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #280 on: December 17, 2011, 05:56:53 AM »

Just stuck in Soudns of Summer and it occurs, even if Mike insists they play hits, hits, hits, it makes for a faaacking great gig; with those voices an those presences on stage, it's a faaaaaaaacking great gig.

You can't go wrong with those timeless music. And as Al said, the audience will get the hits (along with some lesser known stuff). I just hope they'll play them good.
In fact now that Dave's there I hope they'll even do some surf instrumentals.

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
phirnis
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #281 on: December 17, 2011, 06:01:21 AM »

It will be Summer In Paradise Part 2.

Razz

Probably somewhere in between M.I.U., Imagination, Paley sessions and SiP might be realistic I think. Hoping Brian's going to contribute at least one or two real "downers". And I really wouldn't mind "Cool Head Warm Heart" being included.
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #282 on: December 17, 2011, 06:02:37 AM »

I woke up to "I can hear music" this morning and a very excited radio DJ playing "non stop Beach Boys hits" in celebration of the reunion..

Grin

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
Mike's Beard
Smiley Smile Associate

Check your privilege. Love & Mercy guys!

View Profile
« Reply #283 on: December 17, 2011, 06:28:39 AM »

Is it just me or does anybody else get the feeling that after all those years of dumb decisions and blown opportunities the guys have really got their sh*t together over the past few years? The Mike and Bruce Show have upped their game big time, Al's stopped tinkering endlessly with his solo effort and finally put it out, Brian is singing better (on record) then he has for decades, the lawsuits have stopped, everyone's on good terms again, The Smile Sessions was a fantastic success and now a reformed classic lineup with a new Brian produced album in the works and live shows promised to celebrate the 50 years anniversary, plus hints of a decent back catalogue reappraisal.
Did they collectively wake up one morning and realise "We're the F*cking Beach Boys and we rock!" or what?

I'd rather be forced to sleep with Caitlyn Jenner then ever have to listen to NPP again.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #284 on: December 17, 2011, 06:37:04 AM »

... plus hints of a decent back catalogue reappraisal.

Ummm, think you'll find that the back catalog has been pretty damn well served since 1990.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #285 on: December 17, 2011, 06:45:29 AM »

Better sound here for the new DIA re-recording IMO.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jQd1wz3d5nc

Listen to this. Do you hear what I hear ?

The Beach Boys.  Grin
THE BEACH BOYS ARE BACK!, the quality of this song has my hopes up for a good reunion album and tour. Grin

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #286 on: December 17, 2011, 06:49:47 AM »

Is it just me or does anybody else get the feeling that after all those years of dumb decisions and blown opportunities the guys have really got their sh*t together over the past few years? The Mike and Bruce Show have upped their game big time, Al's stopped tinkering endlessly with his solo effort and finally put it out, Brian is singing better (on record) then he has for decades, the lawsuits have stopped, everyone's on good terms again, The Smile Sessions was a fantastic success and now a reformed classic lineup with a new Brian produced album in the works and live shows promised to celebrate the 50 years anniversary, plus hints of a decent back catalogue reappraisal.
Did they collectively wake up one morning and realise "We're the F*cking Beach Boys and we rock!" or what?

Well, I hope that they realised through the internet how much they disappointed their fans and that there are people who care about the Beach Boys. The fact that some heavily involved people are reading this message board might have helped too. Just remember that in the first interview Mike talked about the 50th anniversary and a reunion he mentioned an all star concert. All hell broke lose here and soon there wasn't any more talk about it. I do hope that some ideas we have mentioned here got caught up for the celebrations.

I hope Brian's (and the boys') vocals will be as excellent as on BWRG ITKOD and TLOS.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2011, 06:50:56 AM by Rocker » Logged

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
Mike's Beard
Smiley Smile Associate

Check your privilege. Love & Mercy guys!

View Profile
« Reply #287 on: December 17, 2011, 06:52:37 AM »

... plus hints of a decent back catalogue reappraisal.

Ummm, think you'll find that the back catalog has been pretty damn well served since 1990.

The twofers are great but I'm thinking Deluxe issues a'la what has recently been done with The Kinks back catalog, which blows away the previous versions.

I'd rather be forced to sleep with Caitlyn Jenner then ever have to listen to NPP again.
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #288 on: December 17, 2011, 06:59:52 AM »

It's such a testament to the greatness of the Beach Boys discography when you get excited about a reunion, a tour, a new album but you really flip out when you hear "reissue campaign""

Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #289 on: December 17, 2011, 07:11:25 AM »

1 - permission to be exceedingly smug for about a week...

Andrew you're smug every week, are you just saying you dont' want us to call you out on it this week? lol

I want to be smug with everyone's approval, for once.  Cheesy

Reluctlantly, I grant my approval.   Go ahead.  Post a sneering picture of you witha  sheat eating grin, ridiculing my previous assumption that Brian would'nt sign on for a tour.  You can even say "I told you so, na-na-na boo boo" if you'd like Smiley
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #290 on: December 17, 2011, 07:16:00 AM »

Better sound here for the new DIA re-recording IMO.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jQd1wz3d5nc

Listen to this. Do you hear what I hear ?

The Beach Boys.  Grin

Yup.  It's undeniable.  They still have it.  I reallllllly wanna hear the next part, where they go down into the cool stuff.  .....beeennnn soooo lonnnnnngggg........
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #291 on: December 17, 2011, 07:19:25 AM »

It's such a testament to the greatness of the Beach Boys discography when you get excited about a reunion, a tour, a new album but you really flip out when you hear "reissue campaign""

Yes. I think that each album has deserved to be treated as a single release. I like the two-fers but it kinda takes the importance of the individual albums away imo.

- Jack Rieley
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #292 on: December 17, 2011, 07:41:14 AM »

Yes. I think that each album has deserved to be treated as a single release. I like the two-fers but it kinda takes the importance of the individual albums away imo.

I agree  Grin

hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #293 on: December 17, 2011, 07:43:57 AM »

So i was fairly nonchalant about this yesterday. But I was in shock. NOW I AM FREAKING OUT  Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin

Oh, and thanks for the heads up on this at the RFH, AGD - I didn't quite believe you at the time  LOL

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
Ed Roach
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #294 on: December 17, 2011, 08:13:52 AM »

Amazing...  The full article actually remembered Carl & Dennis.  Guess there wasn't enough space here:

The Beach Boys announce 50th anniversary reunion

December 16, 2011

For years, there have been the Beach Boys, and there has been Brian Wilson, and the two rarely intersected. The pioneering SoCal pop group was so influential to pop that it was, and is, widely regarded as America's answer to the Beatles. But Wilson's involvement with the band waxed and waned over the decades, and more recently his role has been nonexistent while he resurrected such long-delayed projects as "Smile" (which the Beach Boys also revisited this year with the well received box set, "The Smile Sessions) and a solo album "That Lucky Old Sun."

Until now. The band confirmed speculation that all surviving members of the Beach Boys' mid-'60s lineup -- Brian Wilson, Mike Love, Al Jardine, Bruce Johnston and David Marks -- will reunite for the band's 50th anniversary with a world tour and a new album on Capitol in 2012.

Wilson is producing the new album of originals, which is still being recorded. It will top a retrospective series that includes a new greatest-hits collection and a career-spanning box set, while the 50-date world tour (with dates to be announced) begins in April and includes a stop at the New Orleans Jazz & Heritage Festival. The Beach Boys remain the bestselling American band in the history of Neilsen/Soundscan for albums and singles.

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/music_blog/2011/12/beach-boys-announce-50th-anniversary-reunion.html
CarlTheVoice
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #295 on: December 17, 2011, 08:16:38 AM »

Many people didn't think it would happen, but you've got to believe!

I wonder what would happen if they tried releasing, as singles, some of their lesser known album tracks or un-released stuff. Would it be likely to make any impact on the charts at all, or could we generate more interest in these songs? I'm thinking TTGA or Till I Die (again), stuff that would make people listen for a bit longer.

People mock me for calling the BBs my favourite band, but I feel that they are missing out on arguably the best music ever made. Open up their catalogue to non-fans and see what the response is!
Stegibo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #296 on: December 17, 2011, 08:24:56 AM »

What a great christmas present! :D

Are you ready for some Fun Fun Fun?!
Micha
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #297 on: December 17, 2011, 08:28:54 AM »

Hey, Brian and Mike, if you have writer's block and are reading this, cover some songs of the band I'm in, ha ha!  Grin  
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D4NLSdTfKsg

Pretty nice voices, actually.

I wonder if the bikini girls in the Do It Again video were at the sessions or merely cut into the video. Wink 2

I'd buy the CDs to the pre-1965 albums if the mono versions were included.

Ceterum censeo SMiLEBrianum OSDumque esse excludendos banno.
CarlTheVoice
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #298 on: December 17, 2011, 08:36:42 AM »

I have just read Bakabaka's post about how it's weird that old men will be singing about bikinis etc like they are young again. I understand this point but when I saw them in July it didn't matter to me at all! Mike even made funny 'moves' towards me but as a woman in my 20s I just found it quite funny! I have to say that gig was probably the most fun I've had at a concert and I've been to some good ones! It's all about the music and the 'magic' of the Beach Boys. They still know how to put on a show so I don't care what they sing about!

If they want to tour, write and record again I am all for it. The music world is a much better place with the Beach Boys in it!
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #299 on: December 17, 2011, 08:48:24 AM »

I have just read Bakabaka's post about how it's weird that old men will be singing about bikinis etc like they are young again. I understand this point but when I saw them in July it didn't matter to me at all! Mike even made funny 'moves' towards me but as a woman in my 20s I just found it quite funny! I have to say that gig was probably the most fun I've had at a concert and I've been to some good ones! It's all about the music and the 'magic' of the Beach Boys. They still know how to put on a show so I don't care what they sing about!

If they want to tour, write and record again I am all for it. The music world is a much better place with the Beach Boys in it!

Yeah, that pretty much sums it it

gfx
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 9 10 11 [12] 13 14 15 16 17 ... 30 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx