gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680784 Posts in 27616 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 24, 2024, 10:26:23 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 10 11 12 [13] 14 Go Down Print
Author Topic: "I Was Made to Love Her" on Wild Honey and Carol Kaye's claims  (Read 61207 times)
SamMcK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #300 on: December 10, 2011, 01:17:55 AM »

I know i've arrived very late into the thread but am I the only one who finds the name of the song in the title "I Was Made To Love Her" quite ironic considering Carol seems is such a despised person on this board. LOL
The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #301 on: December 10, 2011, 03:08:16 AM »

I know i've arrived very late into the thread but am I the only one who finds the name of the song in the title "I Was Made To Love Her" quite ironic considering Carol seems is such a despised person on this board. LOL

Well, I for one didn't think of that.

I'd say 'despised' is not really fitting... that word points more towards some unnatural, shapeless hatred. As AGD pointed out, there are valid and rational reasons to criticize her harshly, and be angry (which applies to people she insulted in person, and publicly so, creating willfully a false profile of said people). Her name still has authority to it, for those that don't see through the false claims and insults.

Her unpredictable ways of communicating and reacting bring harm to herself, in the eyes of people who look a bit deeper into it all. And her false claims are insulting to musicians who cannot respond anymore, because they passed away.

80% Of Success Is Showing Up
rogerlancelot
« Reply #302 on: December 10, 2011, 05:58:42 AM »

Manson was an excellent songwriter.

Still is.  His recent stuff is really good.

Recent stuff? The most recent stuff I have of his is from the 1980's. WTF am I missing here?
?
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #303 on: December 10, 2011, 08:15:23 AM »

Manson was an excellent songwriter.

Still is.  His recent stuff is really good.

Recent stuff? The most recent stuff I have of his is from the 1980's. WTF am I missing here?

He currently has a 4 part album series coming from Magic Bullet Records.  Check out the East Bound Train mp3: http://www.magicbulletrecords.com/site/discography/mbl138/
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #304 on: December 12, 2011, 08:24:50 AM »

Thanks for the clarification on the Herb Alpert situation. Much ado about nothing, which is what I suspected anyway.

It's worth noting something I had posted in another thread months ago: The trumpet solo on The Carpenters' classic single "Close To You". Richard Carpenter had arranged the song with a trumpet solo in mind which would hypothetically sound like what Herb Alpert would play on a Bacharach session. Carpenter wanted to feature Herb's trademark of bending notes a certain way at the end of a phrase...and he's right of course, Herb did have a very unique way of phrasing on the trumpet with those bends, and that is a signature sound of his records.

They didn't hire Herb Alpert to actually play it, so Carpenter auditioned three trumpet players to try out the part, some of the best in LA: Buddy Childers, Chuck Findley, and (drum roll...) *Ollie Mitchell* to play the solo passage. Whoever played it most like Herb Alpert was chosen for the actual take, and then triple-tracked to further match that signature Alpert sound.

Now put it all together, add it all up...if Ollie Mitchell were the real "voice" of Herb Alpert's trumpet on those classic records, he'd be the most likely choice after trying out the part to sound the most like Alpert himself.

But Chuck Findley won the contest and played that part. Carpenter said Findley nailed the sound so well that Bacharach himself, among others, assumed it was Herb Alpert himself playing the solo on the record.

Just an interesting asterisk to the whole saga. Smiley

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
brucejohnstonfan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #305 on: December 14, 2011, 01:33:55 PM »

Anyone here Facebook friends with her? I got her on my friends list, and some of her status updates are pretty far out.

Yesterday she claimed her bass lines are the most commonly copied bass lines in rap music.
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #306 on: December 14, 2011, 01:39:17 PM »

Yesterday she claimed her bass lines are the most commonly copied bass lines in rap music.

LOL

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #307 on: December 14, 2011, 01:52:22 PM »

Anyone here Facebook friends with her? I got her on my friends list, and some of her status updates are pretty far out.

AGD was 100% correct in saying this lady is bonkers. LOL

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
Mr. Wilson
Smiley Smile Associate

Surfs up around these parts.!

View Profile
« Reply #308 on: December 14, 2011, 02:43:10 PM »

Angry  Wall  Ahhh!
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #309 on: December 15, 2011, 12:32:56 AM »

I tried to register to her website forum. I was sent an e-mail saying that I would be sent another e-mail telling me if she has given me permission to be a member of her forum. It's been about a week and I still haven't gotten another e-mail telling me if she has given the ok to let me post as a member of her forum.  Brow

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #310 on: December 15, 2011, 12:41:58 AM »

Probably checking to see if you've ever shared any forums or emails with me.  Smiley

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #311 on: December 15, 2011, 12:48:31 AM »

The weird thing is that in her forum FAQ, it says that no e-mail will be sent and no permission needs to be given, and you can start post right away. Then I get an e-mail telling me I'm going to be sent an e-mail. I also tried to request a friend add on Facebook, and it told me that she has the maximum amount of friends permitted.  Grin

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
stack-o-tracks
Smiley Smile Associate

The baker man

View Profile
« Reply #312 on: December 15, 2011, 01:12:52 AM »

She has to have seen this thread by now. The emails the administrators of this site are going to get..... Such a stern yelling at.

No mas, por favor.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #313 on: December 15, 2011, 01:59:24 AM »

The weird thing is that in her forum FAQ, it says that no e-mail will be sent and no permission needs to be given, and you can start post right away.

Some of the FAQ text is over a decade old - "There will be a well-researched book out by the end of this year ('99) by Russ Wapensky, a highly-regarded meticulous researcher who has spent years in not only interviewing the LA studio musicians, but is also the most-trusted researcher over the years of our Musicians' Union recording contracts (which our pensions and re-uses are based off of, the best written records of accurate records of studio musician credits, along with our personal logs and app't books). His book will be out on Greenwood Press about our studio musician credits 1945-69, and is almost finished now." - and evidently not updated.

BTW, I've very recently discovered that a couple of years ago, Carol had her house repossessed: irrespective of the controversy surrounding her and any personal feelings thus engendered, that's a horrible thing to have happen to you (been there) and she has my sympathy, especially at her time of life. I hope something was sorted out.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2011, 02:02:22 AM by Andrew G. Doe » Logged

The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #314 on: December 15, 2011, 02:18:13 AM »

No wonder then that so many famous rap artists got shot.

Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #315 on: December 15, 2011, 02:22:17 AM »

It's wrong, I know I shouldn't... but that made me laugh out loud.

Shame I had a mouthful of tea...

The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #316 on: December 15, 2011, 03:14:48 AM »

It's wrong, I know I shouldn't... but that made me laugh out loud.

Shame I had a mouthful of tea...

Hi AGD -

I had some misgivings when writing it, but it just was an opportunity I couldn't pass up...

18thofMay
Smiley Smile Associate

Goin to the beach

View Profile
« Reply #317 on: December 15, 2011, 03:33:01 AM »

Please guys be nice.... this artist inspired Straight Outta Compton

It’s like he hired a fashion consultant and told her to make him look “punchable.”
Some Guy, 2012
"Donald Trump makes Mike Love look like an asshole"
Me ,2015.
The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #318 on: December 15, 2011, 04:22:56 AM »

Inspired??... did you know that she actually plays on it?

rogerlancelot
« Reply #319 on: December 15, 2011, 06:51:15 AM »

Carol played banjo on "Cabinessence". Quit hating on her.
grooveblaster
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #320 on: December 15, 2011, 07:47:32 AM »

She was tight with the late Easy E -  They were out together one night and  they came up with F**K Tha Police

Until they had a falling out and Ice Cube wrote 'A Bitch Iz a Bitch'
« Last Edit: December 15, 2011, 07:51:15 AM by grooveblaster » Logged
Tristero
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #321 on: December 15, 2011, 07:50:53 AM »

No one in their right minds would deny her incredible contributions.  Too bad she insists on taking credit that belongs to others and trashing those that try to set the record straight.
Joshilyn Hoisington
Honored Guest

Aeijtzsche

View Profile
« Reply #322 on: December 15, 2011, 09:48:44 AM »

To be fair, she DID play on Dr. Dre's "The Next Episode."  In a way.
tony p
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #323 on: December 15, 2011, 04:53:15 PM »

To be fair, she DID play on Dr. Dre's "The Next Episode."  In a way.

not sure if its been mentioned yet but Dr. Dre started his career in music as a member of the World Class Wreckin' Crew

strange coincidence?

« Last Edit: December 15, 2011, 04:55:17 PM by tony p » Logged

I gotta heart that just wont stop beating for you, I gotta love that just can’t stop feeling for you
oldsurferdude
« Reply #324 on: December 15, 2011, 05:23:16 PM »

No one in their right minds would deny her incredible contributions.  Too bad she insists on taking credit that belongs to others and trashing those that try to set the record straight.
That second sentence sounds like it's ripped directly out of the Myke Luhv playbook.  3D
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 10 11 12 [13] 14 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx