gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680713 Posts in 27613 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 16, 2024, 06:17:45 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] Go Down Print
Author Topic: When was Dennis Point of no return?  (Read 28577 times)
cablegeddon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #100 on: November 30, 2011, 09:02:05 AM »

Why did  Rocky and Stanley beat up Dennis? This was something I never understood out of reading the Gaines book.

Brian Wilson fan since august 2011
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #101 on: November 30, 2011, 09:41:57 AM »

Why did  Rocky and Stanley beat up Dennis? This was something I never understood out of reading the Gaines book.

Because they are and always have been stupid worthless fucks, and the sooner they're gone from this world, the better for the rest of us

Nothing I post is my opinion, it's all a message from God
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #102 on: November 30, 2011, 09:46:24 AM »

Whilst bgas ain't wrong, I believe the 'reason' was for supplying Brian with drugs. They also hated his guts, though.

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #103 on: November 30, 2011, 09:50:49 AM »

Personally, if I could without legal consquences, I would kick Rocky Pamplin's ass and say "This is for Dennis, Motherf*cker!!!"  Rocky also punched out Carl and had an affair with Brian's wife.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2011, 10:13:38 AM by SMiLE Brian » Logged

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

I WILL NEVER GO TO SCHOOL

View Profile
« Reply #104 on: November 30, 2011, 09:52:46 AM »

All true. While the situation probably did need attention, their methods are the very definition of "totally fucking overboard". Dennis being Dennis, losing his ability to *sing* was probably a huge blow to his well-being. Not at all on a "STAN AND ROCKY KILLED DENNIS" rant, here, but damn - that couldn't have been easy for him and couldn't have helped his confidence.

And yeah, these kids didn't strike me as good choices at all.

"Brian needs to be looked after and there needs to be some peace within this band."

"Cool. Excuse me while I f*** Brian's wife and kick Dennis in the throat. Can I sing on one of your songs, too? Cool."

And people go after Mike! As if this sh*t wasn't bad enough, who the hell voluntarily chooses to go by "Rocky"?

Tell me it's okay.
Tell me you still love me.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #105 on: November 30, 2011, 09:53:52 AM »

Wasn't aware of him punching Carl. Carl! If there was ever a level-headed and diplomatic guy in the Beach Boys story, I'm pretty sure it was Carl Wilson. What was the reasoning behind that little gem of an incident?
« Last Edit: November 30, 2011, 09:54:44 AM by runnersdialzero » Logged

Tell me it's okay.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
Mike's Beard
Smiley Smile Associate

Check your privilege. Love & Mercy guys!

View Profile
« Reply #106 on: November 30, 2011, 10:30:27 AM »

That was the David Frost incident. Carl had allegedly scored some bad dope through a roadie (if I remember correctly it made Brian very ill). As Rocky and the other idiot were in charge of keeping Brian clean at the time, everyone was mega pissed. At a band meeting to discuss the fallout Carl was very drunk, said the wrong thing to Rocky and got sucker punched.

I'd rather be forced to sleep with Caitlyn Jenner then ever have to listen to NPP again.
Ed Roach
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #107 on: November 30, 2011, 10:32:39 AM »

Cigarettes didn't help, but a debilitating punch to the throat is not "drama" its an established fact. To say its all due to cigarettes because you saw "an up close photo" doesn't square with the additional fact that Carl smoked as much as Dennis. As usual the answer is never black and white...DW's damage or raspiness was due to lifestyle as well as the fact that he had a serious injury (or two) that permanently altered his voice. A trace of rasp was already there in '64 and built slowly into '73 or '74...by '77 it was more gruff than rasp...and by '81 the voice was completely gone.

Additionally, the initial damaging throat punch was delivered much earlier that the Stan & Rocky episode.  That incident seems to have fallen by the wayside...
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #108 on: November 30, 2011, 11:06:09 AM »

That was the David Frost incident. Carl had allegedly scored some bad dope through a roadie (if I remember correctly it made Brian very ill). As Rocky and the other idiot were in charge of keeping Brian clean at the time, everyone was mega pissed. At a band meeting to discuss the fallout Carl was very drunk, said the wrong thing to Rocky and got sucker punched.

Beautiful. Who appointed these jokers? Wasn't it apparent that being slapped around by some brutal asshole didn't do the Wilson boys a damn bit of good 20-25 years prior?

Tell me it's okay.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
Paul J B
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #109 on: December 01, 2011, 07:04:42 AM »

Smoking and drinking and drugs at a preposterous rate for years killed Denny's voice. It ruined his looks as well. I remember seeing close up photos of him in '83 and he had that smokers skin, the premature wrinkles. Because he had periods along the way when his voice seemed better or worse at times means nothing. To suggest a punch to the throat at some point did his voice in is searching for a more "dramatic" answer, when the obvious is staring right at you. Look at how many pictures in the new Smile book show Denny with a cigarette.

Cigarettes didn't help, but a debilitating punch to the throat is not "drama" its an established fact. To say its all due to cigarettes because you saw "an up close photo" doesn't square with the additional fact that Carl smoked as much as Dennis. As usual the answer is never black and white...DW's damage or raspiness was due to lifestyle as well as the fact that he had a serious injury (or two) that permanently altered his voice. A trace of rasp was already there in '64 and built slowly into '73 or '74...by '77 it was more gruff than rasp...and by '81 the voice was completely gone.

I didn't say it was all due to cigarettes. I said drinking, smoking and drugs. And I'm not trying to argue that a punch or 2 along the way could not have happened or caused 'some' damage. My issue is that the conversation was going in the direction that the lifestyle did not help but that the punch from those idiots did his voice in, when common sense would tell you it was the other way around. Some medical records or detail about what was damaged by a punch that would correspond to a permanent change in one's singing or speaking ability might convince me otherwise. Until then I'll stick with the sad reality that Brian and Denny both seriously damaged their voices through their major substance abuse problems.

Stevie Nicks sounded like her old self in '82 and by '85 her voice was gone. The culprit..cocaine. That was sad to watch too.

MBE
« Reply #110 on: December 01, 2011, 11:10:46 AM »

Additionally, the initial damaging throat punch was delivered much earlier that the Stan & Rocky episode.  That incident seems to have fallen by the wayside...
Right I think you and Steve Desper both said to me sometime in 1974.
Jon Stebbins
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #111 on: December 01, 2011, 11:14:38 AM »

Smoking and drinking and drugs at a preposterous rate for years killed Denny's voice. It ruined his looks as well. I remember seeing close up photos of him in '83 and he had that smokers skin, the premature wrinkles. Because he had periods along the way when his voice seemed better or worse at times means nothing. To suggest a punch to the throat at some point did his voice in is searching for a more "dramatic" answer, when the obvious is staring right at you. Look at how many pictures in the new Smile book show Denny with a cigarette.

I didn't say it was all due to cigarettes. I said drinking, smoking and drugs. And I'm not trying to argue that a punch or 2 along the way could not have happened or caused 'some' damage. My issue is that the conversation was going in the direction that the lifestyle did not help but that the punch from those idiots did his voice in, when common sense would tell you it was the other way around. Some medical records or detail about what was damaged by a punch that would correspond to a permanent change in one's singing or speaking ability might convince me otherwise. Until then I'll stick with the sad reality that Brian and Denny both seriously damaged their voices through their major substance abuse problems.

I'd say the result of the injury or injuries was greatly magnified by a lack of rehabilitation, which only bolsters elements of your point and mine.
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #112 on: December 01, 2011, 12:05:36 PM »

I missed that or misread or forgot. What incident preceded the Pamplin/Love punching of Dennis? It was 1974? Who provoked it?

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
Jon Stebbins
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #113 on: December 01, 2011, 03:45:45 PM »

I missed that or misread or forgot. What incident preceded the Pamplin/Love punching of Dennis? It was 1974? Who provoked it?
The well documented Rocky Pamplin/Stan Love beating was 1981, and the 1974 incident was when Steve (not Stan) Love reportedly sucker punched Dennis in the throat... at a restaurant I believe. Both did lasting damage from all accounts.
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #114 on: December 01, 2011, 03:48:20 PM »

The well documented Rocky Pamplin/Stan Love beating was 1981, and the 1974 incident was when Steve (not Stan) Love reportedly sucker punched Dennis in the throat... at a restaurant I believe. Both did lasting damage from all accounts.
Yikes, the love family was out to get Dennis. Jon, I ordered your book and I am excited to read it.

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #115 on: December 01, 2011, 03:55:10 PM »

Supposedly the Stevester went to the bathroom and when he came back, he caught Dennis eating his pancakes.

Tell me it's okay.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #116 on: December 01, 2011, 04:39:36 PM »

Death to both Stan and Steve, then; a long slow, torturing, miserable, painful one, starting with a major punch to their throats severely limiting their ability to breathe.

Nothing I post is my opinion, it's all a message from God
Jon Stebbins
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #117 on: December 01, 2011, 04:40:10 PM »

Yikes, the love family was out to get Dennis. Jon, I ordered your book and I am excited to read it.
Thanks, I hope you enjoy it!
Heysaboda
Smiley Smile Associate

Son, don't wait till the break of day....

View Profile
« Reply #118 on: December 01, 2011, 05:02:29 PM »

...... I hope my book will give some clarity as to why it went wrong for Dennis, Brian, and the group as a whole. I can't offer a clean all purpose solution, but my goal was that to provoke more reasoned thinking about the band.
Mike, forgive my ignorance, is your book out now, or expected soon?  thanks!

Son, don't wait till the break of day 'cause you know how time fades away......
MBE
« Reply #119 on: December 01, 2011, 08:02:31 PM »

...... I hope my book will give some clarity as to why it went wrong for Dennis, Brian, and the group as a whole. I can't offer a clean all purpose solution, but my goal was that to provoke more reasoned thinking about the band.
Mike, forgive my ignorance, is your book out now, or expected soon?  thanks!

It is being considered by a few places. I hope it will sell in the next few months and be out next year. It's creating quite a buzz lately so my hopes are high for it.
gfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx