gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680880 Posts in 27617 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims May 01, 2024, 08:44:44 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 Go Down Print
Author Topic: What ISNT on TSS  (Read 19028 times)
Dunderhead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 03, 2011, 11:18:04 PM »

So what boots are obsolete now?

TEAM COHEN; OFFICIAL CAPTAIN (2013-)
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

I WILL NEVER GO TO SCHOOL

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 03, 2011, 11:35:24 PM »

This is gonna be a bitch to sort out. Some stuff is here in great quality but in less complete form than on a bootleg. Again, I wouldn't go deleting anything quite yet, and it's basically impossible for anyone here to know quite yet what has become redundant and what hasn't.

Tell me it's okay.
Tell me you still love me.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
?
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 04, 2011, 03:12:08 AM »

The Inside Pop solo version of Surf's Up isn't on the box.
Fun Is In
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 04, 2011, 04:49:20 AM »

Is there any sign of the legendary/mythical acetates from Durrie Parks' attic having been obtained for the TSS project?
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 04, 2011, 04:57:40 AM »

They had been, and there was apparently not much of interest.

They've excised some of the swearing from the tapes! It's a bit strange, seeing as some is left in.

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
donald
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: November 04, 2011, 12:24:21 PM »

This is gonna be a bitch to sort out. Some stuff is here in great quality but in less complete form than on a bootleg. Again, I wouldn't go deleting anything quite yet, and it's basically impossible for anyone here to know quite yet what has become redundant and what hasn't.

How true.    And the overdubs and "fly ins" make it all even more difficult to sort out.  It will take some time.  Maybe one day, I'll get some decent editing software and try some different versions of SMiLE based on personal preference.  I've always enjoyed tinkering with the sequence of this music.  Now there is so much more to work with and sort out.  Fun Fun Fun!

Oh, and if I were tossing redundant BeachBoys music I could probably find a lot more than SMiLE to toss.  I just keep it all.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2011, 12:26:21 PM by donald » Logged
Chris Brown
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 04, 2011, 01:20:06 PM »

They've excised some of the swearing from the tapes! It's a bit strange, seeing as some is left in.

I thought that was odd too - I wish they'd left it all in just so they could throw a "Parental Advisory" sticker on the front.  How cool would that have been, seeing people's reactions to that sticker on a Beach Boys record?
TerryWogan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 04, 2011, 01:33:03 PM »

^ Oh, you've got to elaborate on that one Razz.

I can't recall any particularly colourful language on the boots I've heard- what do I need to listen out for?
37!ws
Smiley Smile Associate

All baggudo at my man

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33 on: November 04, 2011, 01:57:25 PM »

Terry -- I distinctly remember hearing Mike say "Oh, f**k" on the booted version of the "Our Prayer" rehearsal. I'm sure there was more, but I can't think of any right now. Even pre-Smile...the Recorded "live" at a...Beach Boys' Party! outtakes are LOADED with profanities (and one even made it to the album if you listen to "Devoted To You" closely!).

Fun Is In -- I think it's been reported that Durrie's acetates were auditioned for the project, but didn't have anything worthwhile.

AvanTodd -- yeah, but that really needs to be SEEN. The audio quality isn't really appropriate, considering the sound quality of the rest of the set...but yeah, you need to SEE that. Only known video footage in existence of Brian soloing at that.

Fishmonk -- I think we can safely assume that any boot whose sole contents are the Linnet '88 tape are obsolete. Smiley

Check out my podcasts: Tune X Podcast (tunex.fab4it.com) and Autobiography of a Schnook (SchnookPodcast.com); there are worse things you can do!
JohnMill
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 04, 2011, 02:53:23 PM »

Terry -- I distinctly remember hearing Mike say "Oh, f**k" on the booted version of the "Our Prayer" rehearsal. I'm sure there was more, but I can't think of any right now. Even pre-Smile...the Recorded "live" at a...Beach Boys' Party! outtakes are LOADED with profanities (and one even made it to the album if you listen to "Devoted To You" closely!).

Fun Is In -- I think it's been reported that Durrie's acetates were auditioned for the project, but didn't have anything worthwhile.

AvanTodd -- yeah, but that really needs to be SEEN. The audio quality isn't really appropriate, considering the sound quality of the rest of the set...but yeah, you need to SEE that. Only known video footage in existence of Brian soloing at that.

Fishmonk -- I think we can safely assume that any boot whose sole contents are the Linnet '88 tape are obsolete. Smiley

I don't think Linett's 1988 mixes can be discarded at all.  I still think that if you want pure interpretations of the material without any of the fly-ins, you really need to consult those mixes.  "Wonderful" in particular if you want to hear the track without the yodeling vocals which on TSS somewhat obscure Brian's lead at times, then you need to consult the earlier mix.  Offhand I believe the same goes for a lot of Linett's 88' mixes which I think were pretty solid considering what he was working with at the time.

As an aside I was amazed as to how candid they were in allowing certain strands of dialogue to remain.  The "Denny Hash Joints" comment is one that immediately springs to mind which is something that if you asked me months earlier I probably would have said had no chance of making the cut.

Honestly I think anything that could have been interpreted the wrong way such as some of Brian's comments to Hal Blaine during the "Veggie Arguments" or Van Dyke's comments during the "Good Humor Man" segment weren't going to make the cut anyhow.  Add to that a lot of the profanity that litters the "SMiLE Era Party" and it's no surprise that that session wasn't mined for the box set either.  But I think overall they were pretty candid about what they did include as far as dialogue goes.

God Bless California
For It Marks My Faith To See
You're The Only State With The Sacred Honor
....to sink into the sea
37!ws
Smiley Smile Associate

All baggudo at my man

View Profile WWW
« Reply #35 on: November 04, 2011, 03:17:33 PM »

I don't think Linett's 1988 mixes can be discarded at all.  I still think that if you want pure interpretations of the material without any of the fly-ins, you really need to consult those mixes.  "Wonderful" in particular if you want to hear the track without the yodeling vocals which on TSS somewhat obscure Brian's lead at times, then you need to consult the earlier mix.  Offhand I believe the same goes for a lot of Linett's 88' mixes which I think were pretty solid considering what he was working with at the time.

yeah, but most of 'em are on the GV box, though, aren't they??

As an aside I was amazed as to how candid they were in allowing certain strands of dialogue to remain.  The "Denny Hash Joints" comment is one that immediately springs to mind which is something that if you asked me months earlier I probably would have said had no chance of making the cut.

I think it' just there to basically confirm what everybody says -- that drugs were a big part of Smile. The "acid trip" comment is in there, too, but like on the boots, it's subtle; you almost have to specifically pay attention to catch it. (Then again, a friend of mine, who knows NOTHING about the Beach Boys, stopped by one day when I was listening to the P**k*py tapes, and I just let it play while he was over. My friend said, "HOLD IT -- were they TRIPPING?! I thought I heard someone say something about acid!")

Check out my podcasts: Tune X Podcast (tunex.fab4it.com) and Autobiography of a Schnook (SchnookPodcast.com); there are worse things you can do!
JohnMill
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: November 04, 2011, 03:54:20 PM »

yeah, but most of 'em are on the GV box, though, aren't they??

Some are, others aren't.  Anyhow isn't the GV box set considered to be an inferior source comparitively speaking for the SMiLE material sound quality wise?

God Bless California
....to sink into the sea
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: November 04, 2011, 04:09:26 PM »

How would the GV box set be an inferior source? Several tracks on TSS (the actual session tracks) are limited to all hell for no apparent reason.

Tell me it's okay.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
JohnMill
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: November 04, 2011, 05:02:25 PM »

How would the GV box set be an inferior source? Several tracks on TSS (the actual session tracks) are limited to all hell for no apparent reason.

Well I guess it depends on your perspective and how your ears hear things.  For me TSS sound heads and tails better than the GV box.

God Bless California
....to sink into the sea
Jason
« Reply #39 on: November 04, 2011, 05:05:38 PM »

All of the mixes on the GV box (except for the Cantina H&V) are different from what's on the TSS box, however.
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: November 04, 2011, 05:29:08 PM »

^ Oh, you've got to elaborate on that one Razz.

I can't recall any particularly colourful language on the boots I've heard- what do I need to listen out for?

Off the top of my head, there's Carl dropping an F-bomb during the Dum Dum Dum session - the box cuts off the sentence which essentially runs 'we go to the, er, diminished, whatever the f*ck that is"

Mike's infamous 'Someone bring me a dildo' is (understandably) dropped.

Dennis says 'Bullsh*t' during the Children Were Raised session, cut off on the box.

It's not like I have a list of this stuff, it just jars hearing boots you've pored over subtly altered.

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.

runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: November 04, 2011, 05:47:33 PM »

So they'll cut out swearing but not the "hash joints" and "feeling the acid" comments?

wat

Tell me it's okay.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: November 05, 2011, 08:20:20 AM »

So what I'm actually sad about them leaving out on the GV disc is the take of the speedy bridge where, whilst experimenting with the harmonica player the whole band kicks in and Brian ends up singing along on the talkback mic. The session's there, just not that part. I love that!
« Last Edit: November 05, 2011, 08:23:20 AM by hypehat » Logged

Mahalo
Smiley Smile Associate

..Stand back, Speak normally

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: November 05, 2011, 08:42:48 AM »

Wasn't Vege-tables on Vigotone an original Brian mix? I always liked how the verses were o/d on that one.
Jason
« Reply #44 on: November 05, 2011, 08:47:07 AM »

It's a Mark edit of a Brian mix; Mark basically removed the dead air between the segments. The original mix with dead air is on Secret Smile.
Mahalo
Smiley Smile Associate

..Stand back, Speak normally

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: November 05, 2011, 08:50:47 AM »

Gotcha. This weekend I am going to try to assemble what I can for total completeness without any redundancy in my SMiLE collection of stuff.
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: November 05, 2011, 09:20:55 AM »

I don't remember ever hearing Mike say F*ck on Our Prayer or Carl saying it on Cabinessence. What boot(s) are those from? Can somebody steer me in that direction?

Yeah, the Beach Boys Party has some swearing on there..........but the all time worst is the "Dance, Dance, Dance" vocal session.

Hey, while I'm here, where's the Dennis' isolated Truck Drivin' Man vocals on the new box set?

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
Bedroom Tapes
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: November 05, 2011, 01:40:31 PM »

I'm curious as to why "My Little Red Book" wasn't included on the SMiLE Sessions since that was recorded during that time period.
JohnMill
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: November 05, 2011, 02:14:18 PM »

I'm curious as to why "My Little Red Book" wasn't included on the SMiLE Sessions since that was recorded during that time period.

Because it wasn't recorded during that time period.  It's a "Friends" era recording.

God Bless California
....to sink into the sea
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: November 05, 2011, 02:21:52 PM »

Hey, while I'm here, where's the Dennis' isolated Truck Drivin' Man vocals on the new box set?

This is a very good question.
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx