gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680741 Posts in 27613 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 18, 2024, 02:36:16 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] Go Down Print
Author Topic: What ISNT on TSS  (Read 18964 times)
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #75 on: November 09, 2011, 07:12:53 AM »

Well, if you listen to the CCW version 1, you'll hear why.

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
MJP
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #76 on: November 09, 2011, 07:33:28 AM »

The box doesn't have in it what I consider the most wonderous music/edit for the entire Smile sessions.  Namely the edit which has the Brian/Mike duet of the first two verses of H&V followed by the barbershop vocals with the H&V backing track.  Magical.  Pure bliss.  Instead the box has the H&V 3rd verse followed by barbershop vocals with the backing track.  Terrific but not as good as the other edit.

Also, I would have had the Brian/Mike duet of H&V's 1st two verse followed by the barbershop/backing track immediately into In the Cantina section.

97 seconds of complete perfection.
Jeff
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #77 on: November 10, 2011, 03:55:58 PM »

There is additional dialogue on some boots, I know some bits were missing when I listened to TSS, but there were just really minor things. There are additional takes of things on Heroes and Villains Sessions Volume 1, but I didn't hear anything substantial, just false starts and failed takes. As far as I can tell, Secret Smile is obsolete.

Secret SMiLE I believe has a ton of session work for Cabinessence that you can't find anywhere else.  

True, but it mostly repeats itself and what's on TSS.  I think that the only Secret Smile tracks that are really distinct are 17/verse chorus vocal overdub (leads off with the "doing doing" minus the other vocals) and 19/tag vocal overdub (isolated "have you seen the grand coulee" vocals).  Unfortunately, both tracks are very muddy.

And actually, even those Cabinessence vocals mentioned above are isolated on the  Disc 1 vocals montage.
dmcguire70
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #78 on: November 10, 2011, 05:20:46 PM »

"Lifeboat tape"
"Smog"
"Bob Gordon's Real Trip"
"Basketball Game"
"Taxigabber"
Brian's October '66 mono mix/edit of Our Prayer
Brian's October '66 mono mix of Wonderful
Brian's October '66 mono mix/edit of Wind Chimes
Brian's October '66 mono mix/edit of Child Is Father of the Man backing track
Brian's October and December '66 mono mixes/edits of Cabin Essence
Brian's November '66 mono mix of My Only Sunshine
Brian's December '66 edit pieces of Child Is Father of the Man
Brian's December '66 mono mix of Barnyard
Brian's December '66 mono mixes of Do You Like Worms
Brian's December '66 mono acetate of Heroes and Villains verse vocals
Brian's January '67 mono acetates of Bicycle Rider
Brian's January, February, and June '67 test edits of Heroes and Villains
Brian's April '67 test edit of Vega-Tables

Would you say that these mono mixes were mostly test mixes (oh gosh I may be opening a can of worms here!)?
Why, do you like worms? LOL LOL

"I loaned you money when the funds weren't too cool"

"The ocean scares me."
..................................Brian Wilson, 1976
Dunderhead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #79 on: November 10, 2011, 09:55:51 PM »

The box doesn't have in it what I consider the most wonderous music/edit for the entire Smile sessions.  Namely the edit which has the Brian/Mike duet of the first two verses of H&V followed by the barbershop vocals with the H&V backing track.  Magical.  Pure bliss.  Instead the box has the H&V 3rd verse followed by barbershop vocals with the backing track.  Terrific but not as good as the other edit.

Also, I would have had the Brian/Mike duet of H&V's 1st two verse followed by the barbershop/backing track immediately into In the Cantina section.

97 seconds of complete perfection.

Which boot is that on specifically

TEAM COHEN; OFFICIAL CAPTAIN (2013-)
Roger Ryan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #80 on: November 11, 2011, 06:50:42 AM »

...The "Denny Hash Joints" comment is one that immediately springs to mind which is something that if you asked me months earlier I probably would have said had no chance of making the cut....

By the way, I'm pretty sure Brian is talking to Danny Hutton here ("Danny, do you have anymore of those hash joints? I know you have."). Dennis is practically standing next to Brian at this point, so there would have been no reason for Brian to raise his voice; Danny Hutton, on the other hand, is probably standing in the control room.
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #81 on: November 11, 2011, 07:27:40 AM »

He's not raising his voice, imo. This is next level hairsplitting, isn't it?  Smiley

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
Roger Ryan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #82 on: November 11, 2011, 07:49:13 AM »

He's not raising his voice, imo. This is next level hairsplitting, isn't it?  Smiley

Isn't everything here?  Grin

Brian's "hash joints" quote is fairly well-known around these parts and it had been assumed that Brian was talking to Dennis. It struck me when listening to the session on the new set that Brian was actually talking to Hutton - thought that might be of interest.
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #83 on: November 11, 2011, 08:01:32 AM »

Wow!  Is that documented anywhere?  I always thought Brian was saying, "Denny, you got any hash joints?" Never heard it was "Danny, you got any hash joints?"

Huh. You learn something every other day here.....

Wonder who it was exactly that he he was talking to when he said, "Can you feel the acid yet?" Not Mike or Al, that's for sure. Or not even Carl.

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
Roger Ryan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #84 on: November 11, 2011, 08:26:57 AM »

...Wonder who it was exactly that he he was talking to when he said, "Can you feel the acid yet?" Not Mike or Al, that's for sure. Or not even Carl.

It actually sounds like it's Carl who responds "I feel good" buried under the other talking.
UK_Surf
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #85 on: November 11, 2011, 08:43:47 AM »

Embrace the detail!

Actually, translated into Latin, that'd make a swell motto for this board...
Iron Horse-Apples
« Reply #86 on: November 11, 2011, 08:48:44 AM »

...The "Denny Hash Joints" comment is one that immediately springs to mind which is something that if you asked me months earlier I probably would have said had no chance of making the cut....

Dennis is practically standing next to Brian at this point, so there would have been no reason for Brian to raise his voice.
LOL

"DENNY, JUST GIVE ME THE F*@KING JOINTS, NOW!!!"

Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #87 on: November 11, 2011, 10:02:11 AM »

No, "DANNY"!  It's that damn stoner Danny Hutton!  He was one of Bri's main suppliers!

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
Iron Horse-Apples
« Reply #88 on: November 11, 2011, 01:48:24 PM »

No, "DANNY"!  It's that damn stoner Danny Hutton!  He was one of Bri's main suppliers!

And there's my new signature right there!
Summertime Blooz
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #89 on: November 11, 2011, 03:50:55 PM »

Maybe I missed it, but I think the pizzicato string warmup for "My Only Sunshine" isn't on there. Which means I still have just the fairly lousy quality cassette tape version I got years ago from an editor that worked on, I think, the Cinemax "Keepin' the Summer Alive" TV special.

It was a cool little bit--reminds me very much of the beginning of XTC's "River of Orchids", a trickling beginning to something bigger. I used it to start off my own odd "Barnyard Suite" mix once.
That bit sounds good mixed over top of Barnyard too, with a little speed manipulation.

Please visit 'The American(a) Trip Slideshow' where you can watch the videos and listen to fan mixes of all the Smile songs: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=doOws3284PQ&list=PLptIp1kEl6BWNpXyJ_mb20W4ZqJ14-Hgg
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #90 on: November 11, 2011, 04:03:04 PM »

And there's my new signature right there!

I'm surprised Chuck Negron went down for the count instead of Hutton.

magical
Smiley Smile Newbie

View Profile
« Reply #91 on: November 13, 2011, 02:12:55 PM »

Missing vocals in Smile Sessions 5 CD box set. Complete list

After thoroughly been listening to the CDs and studying the detailed Sessionography in the 60 pages book, I have found that many vocals listed in the Sessionography can not be heard on the CDs.

CD 2
Missing vocals on CD:
4. Heroes And Villains: Barnyard (Master Take) (Wordless vocals: Brian (multi-tracked))
33. Heroes And Villains: Children Were Raised (Remake) (1:06)
All other vocals listed for CD 2 in the Sessionography can be heard on the CD. (And they are many!)
Plus…
Including vocals not mentioned in Sessionography:
9. Heroes And Villains: Mission Pak
18. Heroes And Villains: Verse Edit Experiment

CD 3
Missing vocals on CD:
1. Do You Like Worms: Part 1
2. Do You Like Worms: Part 2 (Bicycle Rider)
3. Do You Like Worms: Part 3
4. Do You Like Worms: Part 4 (Bicycle Rider)
6. My Only Sunshine: Parts 1 & 2 (11/14/66)
8. Cabin Essence: Verse
9. Cabin Essence: Chorus
10. Cabin Essence: Tag
11. Wonderful (Version 1) (8/25/66)
17. Child Is Father Of The Man (Version 2) (10/11/66)
18. Surf’s Up: 1st Movement (11/4/66)
19. Surf’s Up: Talking Horns (11/7/66)
22. Vegetables: Verse (Master Take Track) (4/4 – 4/11/67) (Missing vocal: Lead vocal: Al)

CD 4
Missing vocals on CD:
1. Vegetables: Fade (4/12/67)
5. Wind Chimes (Version 2)
6. Wind Chimes (Version 2 Tag)
11. Love To Say Dada: Part 2 (5/17/67)
12. Love To Say Dada: Part 2 (Master Take) (5/17/67)

CD 5
Missing vocals on CD:
1. Good Vibrations: Gold Star 2/18/66 (The “Pet Sounds” Session)
20. Good Vibrations: Western 9/1/66 (New Bridge)
Including vocals not mentioned in Sessionography:
21. (track not mentioned in Sessionography) Good Vibrations: Session Masters
23. (wrongly numbered 22 in Sessionography) Good Good Good Vibrations (First Version With Overdubs) 3/66 
24. (wrongly numbered 23 in Sessionography) Good Vibrations: Alternate Edit 8/24/66 

Is the Sessionography incorrect? Or…

Have they mistakenly chosen wrong tracks for the box set? (They were probably in a hurry before the release. I doubt that!)

Or, have I got defect CDs? (I doubt that! All CDs are the same. It's digital you know Or?)

Please listen carefully to your CDs and let me know if you really can hear all the vocals listed in the Sessionography. Or are your CDs identical with mine?

If not, my box set must be a collector’s item! (I doubt that!)

I just think the Sessionogrphy is incorrect. Or....
P.J.
Smiley Smile Associate

The least you could do is smile.

View Profile
« Reply #92 on: November 13, 2011, 02:29:41 PM »

The vocals are represented mostly in the assembled album version (also in particular the Smile Backing Vocal Montage). The listed vocal sessions you are reading on the Sessionography are just for documentation sake not to be meant that they are found on that track.

"I heard the word -- wonderful thing -- a children's song."
Roger Ryan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #93 on: November 13, 2011, 03:51:31 PM »

magical - since you took my advice and posted this question in this thread, I'll provide the two relevant responses which followed this post in the "Smile Sessions Box - Dada" thread...

...The sessionography documents the known vocal sessions for each of the tracks, but that doesn't mean that the vocals will be heard on the "session" CDs themselves. Using the CD track numbers is a convenient way to identify each of the sessions and give the background info on them, but the CD tracks themselves only highlight certain portions of those sessions.

In some cases, vocal session tapes are missing from the archives so some of the vocals are simply lost.

However, many of the "missing vocals" you mention can be found elsewhere on the discs. Brian's "Barnyard" vocals (wordless), for example, are heard on the assembled track on CD 1 (as are pretty much all of the vocal tracks recorded during these sessions). Some of the backing vocals have been isolated and edited together as "Background Vocals Montage" on CD 1.

You are correct that the "Good Vibrations: Session Masters" track is not annotated in the sessionography which results in screwed-up numbering for the subsequent tracks.

Ultimately, all of the vocals tracks recorded for SMiLE (plus others) are represented in some way on the set.

Yes, the "Good Vibrations Session Masters" was a last minute addition, snuck in after the deadline for the Sessionography (and the rest of the book) to go to the printers.  But, isn't it better to live with a somewhat screwed-up sessionography than to not have that track?  Smiley

Otherwise, as Roger alludes to, the purpose of the Sessionography was to provide, in the order in which they appear on the discs, all sessions associated with the various titles, grouped together under those titles, starting with Disc Two ('cause that's when the appearance of the "sessions" begins, as opposed to the "album" track lineup & bonus tracks appearing on Disc One...certain bonus tracks not associated with "sessions", for instance "Teeter Totter Love", had to be squeezed in somewhat unobrusively elsewhere).

Bottom line:  there was no easy or clean way to do this (shouldn't surprise anyone, after all this is SMiLE we're talking about Wink), so we did the best we could.  Smiley

Hopefully there will be an opportunity in the near future to clarify and correct a few miscellaneous things in the Sessionography...stay tuned.
bsten
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #94 on: November 14, 2011, 04:47:10 AM »

Hopefully there will be an opportunity in the near future to clarify and correct a few miscellaneous things in the Sessionography...stay tuned.

Aaaaahhh - Sessions Vol 2!!! :D       

No??
soniclovenoize
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #95 on: November 14, 2011, 11:51:39 AM »

I shoudl say, that just because it was recorded, it doesn't mean it was releasable, you know?  Maybe they sounded terrible, and the BB never got around to fixing them?  Maybe that's the case for Look (I remember a vocal session happening)...

magical
Smiley Smile Newbie

View Profile
« Reply #96 on: November 14, 2011, 12:21:45 PM »

Thank you so much for you answers Roger and c-man. They really make sense.
gfx
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx