gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680877 Posts in 27617 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims May 01, 2024, 12:04:13 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 9 10 [11] 12 Go Down Print
Author Topic: A Ten-episodes official web series on the SMiLE Sessions is now on YouTube  (Read 51750 times)
MarcellaHasDirtyFeet
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #250 on: December 05, 2011, 03:31:45 PM »

YouTube comments are the cesspool of the internet. All the waste products of the online universe flow there.

Have you ever stopped by a Fox News comment thread? Evil
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #251 on: December 05, 2011, 03:35:20 PM »

YouTube comments are the cesspool of the internet. All the waste products of the online universe flow there.

Have you ever stopped by a Fox News comment thread? Evil
Those people are plain insane. Shocked

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
Cam Mott
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #252 on: December 05, 2011, 07:14:36 PM »

You've never created something that you had thought out but when you were finished, it didn't pay off the way you expected. You got what you wanted but then you didn't want it? Then you think what it needs is to lose this but this ought to be like this. IMO, if you are timid/stingy about taking chances and  making changes, small or wholesale, you are probably in the wrong biz. Brian was neither timid nor stingy creatively. He knows what he wants and he makes it so leaving the proof of his organization all over the tracks, the problem is after he has pulled it together and not with pulling it together.

That story about a stranger and H&V may be true, but Brian did as he pleased, he would listen to people, even try their suggestion but it didn't happen unless Brian wanted it to happen.

I think Brian was starting to lose his Jones for SMiLE around the first of the year in '67 but I don't think he disliked it enough to stop it until March '67.

"Bring me the head of Carmen Sandiego" Lynne "The Chief" Thigpen
Micha
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #253 on: December 05, 2011, 09:04:40 PM »

Sounds like Darian is not a huge fan of TSS. Of course his taste is obviously biased towards BWPS. I don't know if I could ever see BWPS as the finished SMiLE. I enjoy the original recordings too much.

I see BWPS as the finished SMiLE, not as the SMiLE. IMHO there is no the SMiLE. I enjoy both BWPS and TSS.

Writing that, I bored myself. Sad

Ceterum censeo SMiLEBrianum OSDumque esse excludendos banno.
MarcellaHasDirtyFeet
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #254 on: December 05, 2011, 09:36:21 PM »

Sounds like Darian is not a huge fan of TSS. Of course his taste is obviously biased towards BWPS. I don't know if I could ever see BWPS as the finished SMiLE. I enjoy the original recordings too much.

I see BWPS as the finished SMiLE, not as the SMiLE. IMHO there is no the SMiLE. I enjoy both BWPS and TSS.

Writing that, I bored myself. Sad

In all seriousness, I don't know how some of you guys have kept it up all these years. Even my brief tenure as a SMiLEaholic has nearly driven me mad (maybe because I spend too much time on this board?).

My theory as for why it was shelved is ... All of the above. Band confusion. Label pressure. Commercial concerns. Loss of focus. Doubt. Drug use. Growing mental health issues. It doesn't have to be just one; the stars were aligned against the project. Hell, it was probably too ambitious-- GV took six months, and he only worked on an album-length project for less than a year before abandoning it.

We argue in circles and never get any closer, and Brian himself isn't consistent. "Mike didn't like it." "Drugs... And drugs." He's the only one who could explain it. He's tried to do so, and has given several good reasons, but we need-- demand!-- more and better ones. Thank God new information does trickle out from time to time, and God bless the historians and journalists for their dedication and good work.

All of the reasons, in different measure, contributed to the end of SMiLE. While we won't know which, if any, figured most heavily in Brian's decision, I'm sure the combined weight of them was crushing. Poor Brian/it was his own damn fault/f#@& Mike Love/just say no.
Tristero
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #255 on: December 06, 2011, 04:56:04 AM »

All of the reasons, in different measure, contributed to the end of SMiLE. While we won't know which, if any, figured most heavily in Brian's decision, I'm sure the combined weight of them was crushing.
I think you've summed it up nicely in your post.  I also liked Bruce's Mt. Everest analogy.  By the early part of 1867, the whole thing became a big albatross around Brian's neck, so he threw it away and pursued a less demanding aesthetic.
grooveblaster
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #256 on: December 06, 2011, 05:06:51 AM »

Wow! What a great color photo around the 40 second mark of episode ten. Where is that from?
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

I WILL NEVER GO TO SCHOOL

View Profile
« Reply #257 on: December 06, 2011, 05:22:46 AM »

Same shoot as the Stack-o-Crack cover, so around '68. Anyone have the original anywhere?

Tell me it's okay.
Tell me you still love me.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
grooveblaster
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #258 on: December 06, 2011, 05:32:30 AM »

Same shoot as the Stack-o-Crack cover, so around '68. Anyone have the original anywhere?

yeah would love to have a jpg of that
John Stivaktas
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #259 on: December 12, 2011, 10:15:44 PM »

Episode 11 folks:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YmHm7qEnhng&feature=mfu_in_order&list=UL

Nice to hear from c-man!

"It's more blessed to give than receive"

“For me, making music has always been a very spiritual thing, and I think anybody who produces records has to feel that, at least a little bit. Producing a record . . . the idea of taking a song, envisioning the overall sound in my head and then bringing the arrangement to life in the studio . . . well, that gives me satisfaction like nothing else.”

"Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man."
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #260 on: December 13, 2011, 05:01:26 AM »

Yikes!  Do I really look like that?  Smiley
Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #261 on: December 13, 2011, 05:05:57 AM »

Did they give you guys stage makeup for these videos? Definitely looks like Alan and Mark are wearing some.

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #262 on: December 13, 2011, 08:00:11 AM »

Nah - CGI & motion capture are wonderful things.  Grin

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #263 on: December 13, 2011, 04:57:01 PM »

Did they give you guys stage makeup for these videos? Definitely looks like Alan and Mark are wearing some.

Can't speak for the rest of the guys, but my bit was pretty much "as nature intended".  Smiley
Iron Horse-Apples
« Reply #264 on: December 13, 2011, 05:02:36 PM »

Can't speak for the rest of the guys, but my bit was pretty much "as nature intended".  Smiley

So you were naked?

Was Mike?

Al???

Bruce?Huh
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #265 on: December 13, 2011, 07:47:32 PM »

So you were naked?

Was Mike?

Al???

Bruce?Huh

Sorry, my bit was filmed seperately here in Nebraska, so I can't speak for the other guys.   Smiley
Freddie French-Pounce
Smiley Smile Associate

A.K.A. mrmoustachioto

View Profile
« Reply #266 on: December 15, 2011, 10:42:32 AM »

Episode 15, some interesting stuff on teh cover, many bootleg covers shown, and more footage of Brian singing his 'Yeah' good Vibrations overdub, which is awesome!

Check out the Mono/Stereo Mix Breakdown podcast Mixology here: https://mixology.podbean.com/
positivemusic
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #267 on: December 15, 2011, 10:53:37 AM »

So you were naked?

Was Mike?

Al???

Bruce?Huh

Sorry, my bit was filmed seperately here in Nebraska, so I can't speak for the other guys.   Smiley

If Bruce had been naked, his part probably would've been filmed with him in the bath.  Evil
PS
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #268 on: December 15, 2011, 11:30:06 AM »

Final episode - Brian ends it beautifully:

"When I hear the SMiLE tapes, I almost cry.
It's GREAT music, that is really good music, you know?
I'm honored to hear it."

We know.
We are too.
Thanks, Brian, for the great presents under our trees this year.
(and showing a SMiLE bootleg cover in a Beach Boys sanctioned offering?

Strange, wonderful dream times we are in, here in Wilsonia...)
pixletwin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #269 on: December 15, 2011, 11:39:44 AM »

I was a bit disappointed it just reused bits from previous episodes. It was cool to see the art dept. stuff though.
juggler
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #270 on: December 15, 2011, 12:31:23 PM »

Wow, great to finally see the legendary back cover with the red markings!   Thumbs Up
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #271 on: December 15, 2011, 03:59:04 PM »

Al looks almost gaunt in these videos; especially in the last one, he reminds me more and more of Gollum. 

Nothing I post is my opinion, it's all a message from God
Bubba Ho-Tep
« Reply #272 on: December 15, 2011, 07:17:17 PM »

Wow, great to finally see the legendary back cover with the red markings!   Thumbs Up

Yeah, and none of those markings reflect any potential changes to track lineup, so there goes that theory.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #273 on: December 15, 2011, 10:32:37 PM »

Yeah, and none of those markings reflect any potential changes to track lineup, so there goes that theory.

There are marks on it that tell me that parts were pasted on and are now missing.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Cam Mott
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #274 on: December 16, 2011, 02:49:08 AM »

There are marks on it that tell me that parts were pasted on and are now missing.

There seems to be a small blurry area at the center top, is that it or any of those marks indicate paste overs or edits specifically to the tracklist?

PS. If anyone has a high resolution scan or photo of the original un-filtered paste up that they would like to share please PM me, I'd love to try to run it by any of the mid-1960s Capitol Art Directors still alive to see if we could get a forensic opinion. Or maybe that has been done already?
« Last Edit: December 16, 2011, 05:36:41 AM by Cam Mott » Logged

"Bring me the head of Carmen Sandiego" Lynne "The Chief" Thigpen
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 9 10 [11] 12 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx