gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
681549 Posts in 27642 Topics by 4082 Members - Latest Member: briansclub June 12, 2024, 01:47:54 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: The new album (2012)  (Read 6473 times)
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: December 19, 2011, 06:17:42 AM »

Will there be more remakes on the album?
Will there be some introspective material, I.E. "In The Back of My Mind," "'Til I Die," "Caroline, No," "Please Let Me Wonder"?
Will there be Love-You-esque weirdness?
Will there be more sun and fun type tunes, a la Summer in Paradise or Beach Boys 85?

By God, please no re-makes, guest stars or "looking back"-songs a la "Summer in paradise" or "Brian's back" !!!!

Questions 2 & 3: I'd like to see/hear that.
Question 4: If they are good like "It's ok" I guess it's ok (yes, pun intended) but no nostalgic stuff that obviously tries to sound like another song from way back. It's got to be original and authentic, that's all I ask

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
b00ts
Smiley Smile Associate

Greldont

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: December 19, 2011, 11:34:02 AM »

Will there be some introspective material, I.E. "In The Back of My Mind," "'Til I Die," "Caroline, No," "Please Let Me Wonder"?
Will there be more sun and fun type tunes, a la Summer in Paradise or Beach Boys 85?

By God, please no re-makes, guest stars or "looking back"-songs a la "Summer in paradise" or "Brian's back" !!!!

Question 4: If they are good like "It's ok" I guess it's ok (yes, pun intended) but no nostalgic stuff that obviously tries to sound like another song from way back. It's got to be original and authentic, that's all I ask
Agreed, Rocker. I think that so much of what makes the group different and innovative is Brian's songwriting. The group can get pretty far out there with a fairly structurally standard song like "Wouldn't It Be Nice," "Message Man," or "Melt Away" because Brian's chordal and harmonic ideas are truly unique. Hopefully the new material will reflect that.

Imagine the band re-recorded "Kokomo" for this album? And "Santa's Goin' to Kokomo (Reprise)" towards the end of the album to bring that arty SMiLe factor to it.

Seriously though, judging by Brian's attitude since the 80s - scratch that, since the 60s - I would imagine that he sees this as his opportunity for a big hit. He and Mike are probably collaborating with that in mind for at least a few songs.

Seriously

- B00ts
Iron Horse-Apples
« Reply #27 on: December 19, 2011, 12:15:29 PM »

I think the Beach Boys, and those advising them are by now well aware of their legacy and contribution to popular music. Whilst I don't for a second think we're going to get Pet Sounds Vol II, I can see us getting something artistic, tasteful and retrospective. By retrospective I mean a tip of the hat to the various era's of the Beach Boys career.

I think there are enough people around them to help them learn from past mistakes, and therein lies my only concern. Will there be too many fingers in the pie?
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 19, 2011, 03:00:58 PM »

I think the Beach Boys, and those advising them are by now well aware of their legacy and contribution to popular music. Whilst I don't for a second think we're going to get Pet Sounds Vol II, I can see us getting something artistic, tasteful and retrospective. By retrospective I mean a tip of the hat to the various era's of the Beach Boys career.

I think there are enough people around them to help them learn from past mistakes, and therein lies my only concern. Will there be too many fingers in the pie?

If any of the fingers belong to Joe Thomas, there will definitely be too many

Nothing I post is my opinion, it's all a message from God
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: December 19, 2011, 03:11:19 PM »

Seriously though, judging by Brian's attitude since the 80s - scratch that, since the 60s - I would imagine that he sees this as his opportunity for a big hit. He and Mike are probably collaborating with that in mind for at least a few songs.

That's why I hope the lead single of the album will be something new and not Do It Again. Of course I guess we all know it eventually will be DIA but I'd rather a new tune that sounds like a hit. Brian is capable of that, see "Good kind of love" for example.

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: December 19, 2011, 03:13:30 PM »

That's why I hope the lead single of the album will be something new and not Do It Again. Of course I guess we all know it eventually will be DIA but I'd rather a new tune that sounds like a hit. Brian is capable of that, see "Good kind of love" for example.

My own hope is for "Do It Again" to be a bonus track and NOT part of the regular release OR a single

Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: December 19, 2011, 03:25:51 PM »

My own hope is for "Do It Again" to be a bonus track and NOT part of the regular release OR a single

Dito. Or the B-side to a new song

- Jack Rieley
Justin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: December 19, 2011, 05:12:00 PM »

I'd want that too but it all depends on what they churn out in the studio.  If they have enough stuff to create a full album...they can add DIA as a bonus.  But if they're not coming up with enough material...they'll be relying on DIA to fill out the album...maybe even start it off as the first cut.
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: December 19, 2011, 06:17:01 PM »

I'd want that too but it all depends on what they churn out in the studio.  If they have enough stuff to create a full album...they can add DIA as a bonus.  But if they're not coming up with enough material...they'll be relying on DIA to fill out the album...maybe even start it off as the first cut.

The remade DIA is boring

Justin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: December 19, 2011, 06:39:18 PM »

Well honestly...I think DIA is a pretty good insight to what we can expect with any more new or remade material from the band.  I personally think DIA is sufficient and gets a B- effort from me...I'm thinking the rest of the (soon to be written/recorded) album will fall along the same lines.
rogerlancelot
« Reply #35 on: December 20, 2011, 06:10:46 AM »

They could pad out a dozen or so new tracks with vintage unreleased tracks like "Brian Farted Into George's French Horn".
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx