gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680930 Posts in 27621 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims May 08, 2024, 08:59:43 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Barnyard Mistake in Pressing of Smile Sessions CD?  (Read 43124 times)
37!ws
Smiley Smile Associate

All baggudo at my man

View Profile WWW
« Reply #150 on: November 03, 2011, 08:47:41 AM »

Or a brief glimpse of a boom mike after you had re-watched it.. paused it.. rewound and paused again.

That's a dependent clause there, my friend. You need an independent clause in front of it.

You can find flaws in EVERYTHING... If you look.. Some people are geared that way

By god, you're right. Smiley

Check out my podcasts: Tune X Podcast (tunex.fab4it.com) and Autobiography of a Schnook (SchnookPodcast.com); there are worse things you can do!
37!ws
Smiley Smile Associate

All baggudo at my man

View Profile WWW
« Reply #151 on: November 03, 2011, 08:53:15 AM »

Speaking of Smile glitches, am I the only one who noticed the glaring ones at the beginning and toward the end of BWPS? (Still hasn't affected my ability to enjoy that album, though. Love it just as much now as the first time I heard it. And damned if it hasn't competed against Pet Sounds as my favorite album ever.)

Check out my podcasts: Tune X Podcast (tunex.fab4it.com) and Autobiography of a Schnook (SchnookPodcast.com); there are worse things you can do!
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #152 on: November 03, 2011, 09:06:30 AM »

Quote from: monicker
I want to pose this: say we were instead discussing a period film that is set in Victorian times. The costumes and set design are impeccable, beautifully done, historically accurate, true example of masterwork in every sense...and then you see that one of the main characters is visibly wearing Nike sneakers. I know, i know, this happens in Hollywood films quite often. But now imagine that it keeps happening in every other scene. Would that not absolutely baffle the hell out of you, not to mention frustrate you?

I hear the difference. I just don't think it's as big a deal as you make it out to be.

And I don't think your comparison is fair. The aural equivalent of Nike shoes in a Victorian movie would be more like hearing half a second of "Good Vibrations" in the middle of "Wind Chimes". These errors are like seeing a small, flickering black spot in one frame of a movie -- visible? Of course, but hardly a major disruption.

Whether I'm hearing these glitches or not (more on that much later) my sympathies lie with Monicker here for sure.

Let me use a different comparison to his. Suppose you were in a top restaurant and ordered the best dish on the menu. It arrives, you marvel at the presentation, salivate and tuck in.

After a few forkfuls you find a tiny fly hidden among (let's say) the vega-tables. You look around the rest of the plate, and find a wee slug among the cabbage. A hair in the sauce. Worse, a fingernail fragment among the parmesan shavings.

All teeny tiny flaws and you wouldn't have noticed them if you'd been staring into your girl's eyes and shovelling the food down your throat without looking at it. But are you really going to enjoy that wonderful, lovingly prepared meal quite the same now, now that you know?

The guy at the next table is wolfing his down enthusiastically, in ignorance – do you say nothing for fear of upsetting him and embarrassing the (professional) chef? Or do you point it out?

“We live in divisive times.”
Jonas
Smiley Smile Associate

I've got the Beach Boys, my friends got the Stones

View Profile
« Reply #153 on: November 03, 2011, 09:10:19 AM »

None of these comparisons make sense, people. LOL

We would like to record under an atmosphere of calmness. - Brian Wilson
--
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g1IgXT3xFdU
Austin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #154 on: November 03, 2011, 09:25:19 AM »

Quote from: John Manning
After a few forkfuls you find a tiny fly hidden among (let's say) the vega-tables. You look around the rest of the plate, and find a wee slug among the cabbage. A hair in the sauce. Worse, a fingernail fragment among the parmesan shavings.

All teeny tiny flaws and you wouldn't have noticed them if you'd been staring into your girl's eyes and shovelling the food down your throat without looking at it. But are you really going to enjoy that wonderful, lovingly prepared meal quite the same now, now that you know?

But that's still an unfair comparison. Anyone would be able to find problems that egregious without prompting, and they would be absolutely appalled. As it's been proven on this forum and plenty of reviews, virtually no one is noticing these problems unless they're explicitly pointed out on a) hi-fi audio equipment, or b) good headphones, and when they are, the reaction to them is much more muted and sensible.

A fair restaurant comparison would be more like eating a world-class steamed vegetable plate and realizing a couple of the carrots came out cold. Noticeable, yes, something I would point out afterwards to my server. But not a deal-breaker by any stretch of the imagination.

I'm not arguing something isn't there, or that it's unfair to point it out. But there's a difference between pointing it out as an aside in a general critique, and writing ten paragraphs about it.
sockittome
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #155 on: November 03, 2011, 10:10:25 AM »

Hey at least they took that annoying drawn out cough out of Worms!  Be happy!
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #156 on: November 03, 2011, 10:16:08 AM »

Hey at least they took that annoying drawn out cough out of Worms!  Be happy!

You found a worm in yours?

LOL

SloopJohnB
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #157 on: November 03, 2011, 10:30:16 AM »

Just thought I'd add a little something. So you guys think the Cabinessence hiss can't be heard in "normal conditions"?

There I am, putting my Smile CD in my car's CD player. It's a 2001 mid-range car, with the stock speakers, and an Alpine head unit. A pretty basic setup. The presets for the head unit are the default ones, no custom eq's. Volume set at 9, the max level being something like 30. The disc starts playing, I'm driving along (windy day, so lots of aerodynamic noises, plus the sound of the tires on the road, and the sound of the engine - about 4000 rpm @ 75 mph), the songs flow into each other brilliantly, I'm not even thinking about the hiss, as if I had completely forgotten its presence. Then the Cabinessence chorus comes on, and *CLICK* - I heard the click, over ALL these noises, without even thinking about it / waiting for it. It was LOUD.

So, yeah, I think it can be heard without headphones.

I don't know where, but their music sends me there
Pleasure Island!!!!!!! and a slice of cheese pizza.
Austin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #158 on: November 03, 2011, 10:45:49 AM »

Quote from: SloopJohnB

Fair enough then, my mistake. I stand by the rest of my point though: it's a little overblown to be upset over approximately two seconds of click and hiss.
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #159 on: November 03, 2011, 10:53:41 AM »

Suppose you're having a lovely snooze in the sun and someone sticks a pin in your hand and wiggles it, just for a couple of seconds, mind...

Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #160 on: November 03, 2011, 11:02:24 AM »

Just thought I'd add a little something. So you guys think the Cabinessence hiss can't be heard in "normal conditions"?

There I am, putting my Smile CD in my car's CD player. It's a 2001 mid-range car, with the stock speakers, and an Alpine head unit. A pretty basic setup. The presets for the head unit are the default ones, no custom eq's. Volume set at 9, the max level being something like 30. The disc starts playing, I'm driving along (windy day, so lots of aerodynamic noises, plus the sound of the tires on the road, and the sound of the engine - about 4000 rpm @ 75 mph), the songs flow into each other brilliantly, I'm not even thinking about the hiss, as if I had completely forgotten its presence. Then the Cabinessence chorus comes on, and *CLICK* - I heard the click, over ALL these noises, without even thinking about it / waiting for it. It was LOUD.

I find this very hard to believe.
anazgnos
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #161 on: November 03, 2011, 11:08:01 AM »

I'm torn because I've been in monicker's exact position in these kinds of arguments before.  I am no fan of glitches of shoddy mastering at all.  But I'm not finding myself particularly bothered by any of this.  I've listened to the reconstruction 3 or 4 times now and it has yet to really penetrate my enjoyment.  For the most part it just seems like a natural consequence of doing this level of restoration from this many different old tape sources which may not be in the best condition anymore.  Little things like this are bound to crop up.

Now, I will say the last chorus of "Child" with the extra vocals has a kind of crunchy, fuzzy sound to it, I'm guessing this segment was patched in from acetate or something?  The sound is less than ideal, but I'm also really glad those vocals are there.
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #162 on: November 03, 2011, 11:14:55 AM »

I easily heard it on my computer speakers while listening to the itunes sample and the itunesLP walkthrough video (at a reasonable volume). Then (finally got the boxset!!!) I heard it on my studio headphones.

I'm not crying about it. I'm not pissed about it. There are FAR more flubs in Pet Sounds, yet we're not crying/whining about that. Yes, I know the argument: "Pet Sounds was rushed." "This is '11, not '66." - What difference does it make? Just listen to the music.

Whatev.

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
theCOD
« Reply #163 on: November 03, 2011, 11:24:47 AM »

I've heard it in the car and on my netbook speakers.

Good news is I fixed the hiss dropout and edit issues, and tonight I'm getting rid of the Grand Coolie vocals in the second chorus, so it's all good.

Smokin
richardsnow
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #164 on: November 03, 2011, 01:14:54 PM »

What did annoy me is that on the stereo mix of "heroes and villains sections" the bicyle rider section comes in a hair to early, making it sound like the Cd skipped.

can now hear the infamous click if I listen on my bext headphones from my studio.  Very miniscule though, never gonna upset me.

TerryWogan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #165 on: November 03, 2011, 01:27:49 PM »

Digital clicks are nice 'n' easy to fix, so if anyone who's particularly distraught by them wants to provide a list of tracks/times when they occur, I can clean 'em up for you without much hassle. I only have the 2CD set, mind.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #166 on: November 03, 2011, 11:04:42 PM »

More true gen, concerning the following:

This is an ultra condensed version of the post that follows.

I would like to invite those who have been so dismissive of what i’ve been saying to listen to this side by side comparison of the edit in Wind Chimes: http://snd.sc/twdPuL

Keep in mind that i folded down the stereo piano break (from disc 4), so it will sound slightly different to the true mono from disc 1. I’m just saying this so that the folded down mono doesn’t in anyway distract from the edit, which is the point of this exercise.

If you don’t hear any difference in the quality of the EDIT then you are very fortunate and i envy you. But consider this: don’t ever go into the field of professional audio, please. And don’t scoff at others for having a sharper ear and caring more about things sounding NICE.

P.S. I'm not an audiophile by any stretch of the imagination.

All most persuasive, except for one small point - I've been told that's a boost on the rhythm track on the 8th note at that point (that's how it was explained to me), thus there is no edit to consider the quality of in either sample.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

I WILL NEVER GO TO SCHOOL

View Profile
« Reply #167 on: November 03, 2011, 11:52:09 PM »

I read this thread and get feelings similar to the time I repeatedly slammed my penis in a locker door.

Tell me it's okay.
Tell me you still love me.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
Jonathan Blum
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #168 on: November 03, 2011, 11:56:57 PM »

>Hushed Tom-Baker-at-the-end-of-Logopolis voice<

"...You're UTTERLY MAAAADD!!!!"

>/Tom Baker off<

Heh.  I was thinking "Why hasn't she got any eyebrows?..."

Cheers,
Jon Blum
(Closed-captioned for the Doctor Who impaired:  Romana nitpicking the Mona Lisa)
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #169 on: November 04, 2011, 12:21:07 AM »

I read this thread and get feelings similar to the time I repeatedly slammed my penis in a locker door.

Whatever works for you.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
homeontherange
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #170 on: November 04, 2011, 02:23:53 AM »

What did annoy me is that on the stereo mix of "heroes and villains sections" the bicyle rider section comes in a hair to early, making it sound like the Cd skipped.

Yep, I think that's by far the most sloppy work. Which is why I'll make my own big ass H&V mix.
Paul2010
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #171 on: November 04, 2011, 02:40:30 AM »

I noticed the clicks/hiss/speed things in Cabin Essence as well, and tried to fix them with a little editing and EQ. It did sound quite nice, but I think if someone with a bit more audio EQ/editing experience could do a much better job. Maybe someone with more expererience could try to fix the mono Cabin Essence?
The sound quality is fantastic, the mono mix sounds extremely good. I like it better than the stereo 20/20 mix.
darling
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #172 on: November 04, 2011, 06:11:38 AM »

OK, here's the true gen on the Amazing Disappearing Barnyard Backing Vocals.

Basically, it was an editorial decision... Seems the review streams were sourced from a pre-final set of masters.

I'm surprised nobody else asked the rather obvious question - what else of significance changed from the streams to the final version?
Dr. Tim
Smiley Smile Associate

"Would you put a loud count on it for us please?"

View Profile
« Reply #173 on: November 04, 2011, 07:04:57 AM »

I am now really paying attention (on Grado headphones!) to the "audio glitches" and clicks - my conclusion is these all sound like original tape artifacts.  Which may be why, to my ears, they just fly by, there's no fixing them.  Some of them are caused by oversaturation (recording too loud) on the original session tapes.  Monicker might be right that some or all of those could be snipped out, but there comes a point at which too much of that creates its own artifact, as you have to "draw" an approximation of the wave-form where the click had been, or you will hear a skip or a drop-out.   This is the problem archivists have with cleaning up records made originally on metal stampers - take out enough noise, and it becomes dull and airless.

Hey kids! Remember:
mono mixes suck donkey dick
egon spengler
« Reply #174 on: November 04, 2011, 07:14:08 AM »

Whoops--accidental early post
« Last Edit: November 04, 2011, 07:21:28 AM by egon spengler » Logged
gfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx