gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 09:38:00 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 10 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Barnyard Mistake in Pressing of Smile Sessions CD?  (Read 42783 times)
mammy blue
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: October 30, 2011, 07:07:41 PM »

There are reports that the BB backing vocals are missing in the sessions track for Barnyard (only animal sounds are heard), although they're referred to in the booklet and Mr. Doe reported hearing stereo backing vocals in the stream he got to hear. Was an incomplete version of the track accidentally included on the CD?
Bubba Ho-Tep
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2011, 07:11:52 PM »

....and if so can a corrected version be distributed to us needy fans somehow?
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

I WILL NEVER GO TO SCHOOL

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2011, 07:22:32 PM »

*prays*

Was a little surprised to hear the clip without the background vocals. Both versions would be nice to have, but the version with stereo backup vocals would be more essential, methinks.

Tell me it's okay.
Tell me you still love me.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
debonbon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2011, 07:34:28 PM »

If you mean the ooooohs there are in there.

Edit: Sorry didn't see you mean the sessions track.  Listening to the previews on Aus iTunes store there is defiantly no backing vocals.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2011, 01:35:27 AM by debonbon » Logged

A healthy...low fat or non-fat...healthy......blizzard.
mammy blue
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2011, 09:12:09 PM »

Here's the Leila description of the track from the stream:

Disk 2

Track 4-A clean master take of Barnyard! Backing and stereo BVs. Nothing new otherwise though.

And yet, the people who now have the box say the BV are not heard on the track!
Micha
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2011, 10:25:20 PM »

Here's the Leila description of the track from the stream:

Disk 2

Track 4-A clean master take of Barnyard! Backing and stereo BVs. Nothing new otherwise though.

And yet, the people who now have the box say the BV are not heard on the track!
Right, CD 2: animal sounds yes, ooohs no.

Ceterum censeo SMiLEBrianum OSDumque esse excludendos banno.
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2011, 10:34:05 PM »

Are the animal sounds in stereo?

Tell me it's okay.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2011, 11:36:01 PM »

Are the animal sounds in stereo?

No.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2011, 11:38:33 PM »

So yer sayin' you/others heard a Barnyard track sans flown in vocals with the group vocals in stereo? But the retail release only contains a version without the group vocals?

Sad

Tell me it's okay.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
Freddie French-Pounce
Smiley Smile Associate

A.K.A. mrmoustachioto

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 31, 2011, 12:48:44 AM »

We need the BV's. NOW! Or we could make our own. Audition everyone for teh best ooohs, and then we pan then either side an voila!

Check out the Mono/Stereo Mix Breakdown podcast Mixology here: https://mixology.podbean.com/
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: October 31, 2011, 12:52:23 AM »

So yer sayin' you/others heard a Barnyard track sans flown in vocals with the group vocals in stereo? But the retail release only contains a version without the group vocals?

Sad

CD2/track 4 had stereo bvs when I heard it. The HMV clip and the actual box disc doesn't. Time to dust off the deerstalker...

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 31, 2011, 01:47:18 AM »

Good point - if the review copies and released copies contain differences, the bootleggers will be on it in a flash.

What else differs?

Or maybe that was the watermarking - any contraband that included those box could be quickly id'ed as such and tracked back by other means?

“We live in divisive times.”
JohnMill
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 31, 2011, 06:54:03 AM »

Good point - if the review copies and released copies contain differences, the bootleggers will be on it in a flash.

What else differs?

Or maybe that was the watermarking - any contraband that included those box could be quickly id'ed as such and tracked back by other means?

Hmm very interesting.  Hadn't thought of that myself.

God Bless California
For It Marks My Faith To See
You're The Only State With The Sacred Honor
....to sink into the sea
monicker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 31, 2011, 07:41:04 AM »

Speaking of mistakes, the amount of technical/engineering blunders all over disc 1 is staggering. I am planning on writing a lengthy review critique on this aspect of the release because, to me, it is totally inexcusable for a major release of this magnitude to have such sloppy work. It's really disheartening. Although i hate to say it, i totally saw it coming given previous releases.

Don't be eccentric, this is a BEACH BOYS forum, for God's sake!
BiNNS
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 31, 2011, 10:53:57 AM »

Speaking of mistakes, the amount of technical/engineering blunders all over disc 1 is staggering.

I won't judge until i actually hear it, but reading this kind of thing still scares me a little bit.
anazgnos
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 31, 2011, 10:59:33 AM »

Speaking of mistakes, the amount of technical/engineering blunders all over disc 1 is staggering. I am planning on writing a lengthy review critique on this aspect of the release because, to me, it is totally inexcusable for a major release of this magnitude to have such sloppy work. It's really disheartening. Although i hate to say it, i totally saw it coming given previous releases.

Curious to know what you mean.  I grabbed what I understood to be the iTunes rip of the 2CD over the weekend and it was positively full of digital skips and glitches.  I don't know whether what I got was the exact retail fileset or if somehow these errors & glitches were introduced after the fact.
BiNNS
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 31, 2011, 11:03:31 AM »

I grabbed what I understood to be the iTunes rip of the 2CD over the weekend and it was positively full of digital skips and glitches.  I don't know whether what I got was the exact retail fileset or if somehow these errors & glitches were introduced after the fact.

I REALLY hope that's the case.
LostArt
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 31, 2011, 11:03:59 AM »

Speaking of mistakes, the amount of technical/engineering blunders all over disc 1 is staggering.

I won't judge until i actually hear it, but reading this kind of thing still scares me a little bit.

Nah, don't worry about it.  I don't hear anything of the sort on disc 1 (well, maybe in one spot, but it's minor).  I don't hear any sloppy work.  I'm interested (a little bit) to read what monicker has to say about these 'technical/engineering blunders'.  Different ears hear different things, and different minds percieve different things.  I'm not saying that there is a right or a wrong in this difference of opinion, I'm just saying that you should listen for yourself, and disregard anyone's opinion until you've actually heard the thing.  You may end up agreeing with monicker, or you may not.

P.S.  There are no digital skips or glitches on the disc that I bought.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2011, 11:07:18 AM by LostArt » Logged
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 31, 2011, 11:06:11 AM »

Just listened to Disc 1, and I think it is great.

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
BiNNS
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 31, 2011, 11:11:25 AM »

There are no digital skips or glitches on the disc that I bought.

Well, that put me at ease.
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 31, 2011, 11:14:25 AM »

« Last Edit: October 31, 2011, 11:24:06 AM by Wirestone » Logged
SG7
« Reply #21 on: October 31, 2011, 11:19:36 AM »

I'm confused. My copy I could hear the background vocals very well.
TV Forces
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 31, 2011, 11:32:04 AM »

I'm confused. My copy I could hear the background vocals very well.

On disc 2?
monicker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 31, 2011, 12:08:28 PM »

Nah, don't worry about it.  I don't hear anything of the sort on disc 1 (well, maybe in one spot, but it's minor).  I don't hear any sloppy work.  I'm interested (a little bit) to read what monicker has to say about these 'technical/engineering blunders'.  Different ears hear different things, and different minds percieve different things.  I'm not saying that there is a right or a wrong in this difference of opinion, I'm just saying that you should listen for yourself, and disregard anyone's opinion until you've actually heard the thing.  You may end up agreeing with monicker, or you may not.

P.S.  There are no digital skips or glitches on the disc that I bought.

Not trying to be confrontational here, but an honest question: would you be saying the same thing if you saw a film, a major release, with boom mics dipping into frame, the shadow of the camera visible in some shots, the camera visible in a scene with a mirror, a crew member's elbow dipping into the corner of the frame?

Or what if inside the packaging of this release there were typos all throughout the text? Or, say, a weird line going through some the photos that's obviously not supposed to be there? (I don't know enough about printing type of errors to offer more hypothetical examples)

There'd be a lot of complaining going on, i reckon.

I'm going to sit with the music for a while before i attempt to write anything. But i also might not even end up doing it because this simultaneously breaks my heart and makes me so upset that i might not have the energy to take on such a task.

Don't be eccentric, this is a BEACH BOYS forum, for God's sake!
TV Forces
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 31, 2011, 12:28:18 PM »

Not trying to be confrontational here, but an honest question: would you be saying the same thing if you saw a film, a major release, with boom mics dipping into frame, the shadow of the camera visible in some shots, the camera visible in a scene with a mirror, a crew member's elbow dipping into the corner of the frame?

Or what if inside the packaging of this release there were typos all throughout the text? Or, say, a weird line going through some the photos that's obviously not supposed to be there? (I don't know enough about printing type of errors to offer more hypothetical examples)

There'd be a lot of complaining going on, i reckon.

I'm going to sit with the music for a while before i attempt to write anything. But i also might not even end up doing it because this simultaneously breaks my heart and makes me so upset that i might not have the energy to take on such a task.

It may be because you said this: "it is totally inexcusable for a major release of this magnitude to have such sloppy work. It's really disheartening" without giving a single example of what you're talking about.
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 10 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx