gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
681351 Posts in 27635 Topics by 4082 Members - Latest Member: briansclub June 04, 2024, 03:19:44 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Is there anyone who isn't buying SMiLE? and if so, why not?  (Read 6765 times)
Freddie French-Pounce
Smiley Smile Associate

A.K.A. mrmoustachioto

View Profile
« on: October 29, 2011, 01:46:57 AM »

Some people may be thrown by this thread, but I'm sure there are people out there who won't be buying it. The question is, are you?

Check out the Mono/Stereo Mix Breakdown podcast Mixology here: https://mixology.podbean.com/
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

what it means to be human

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2011, 02:02:07 AM »

I won't be buying it, per say...on the day it comes out...I'm still saving...prolly by the end of the year.....not like I don't want it.

...But I've been so out of it and busy that I didnt even pick up In the Key of Life, I mean In the Key of Springfield, I mean BW In the Key of Disney.  Wink

To view my video documentation of my Beach Boys collection go to www.youtube.com/justinplank

"Someone needs to tell Adrian Baker that imitation isn't innovation." -The Real Beach Boy

~post of the century~
"Well, you reached out to me too, David, and I'd be more than happy to fill Bgas's shoes. You don't need him anyway - some of us have the same items in our collections as he does and we're also much better writers. Spoiled brat....."
-Mikie

"in this online beach boy community, I've found that you're either correct or corrected. Which in my mind is all in good fun to show ones knowledge of their favorite band."- punkinhead
absinthe_boy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2011, 02:19:25 AM »

Not buying it as I am expecting it in my stocking on 25th December Smiley
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2011, 02:38:34 AM »

I might pass.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
phirnis
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2011, 02:50:00 AM »

I'm going to buy it as soon as I feel like it, which is not now (for whatever reason).

(Most importantly, I'm still in the process of deciding whether to buy the 2CD set or the box set.)
« Last Edit: October 29, 2011, 03:00:53 AM by phirnis » Logged
Cam Mott
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2011, 04:46:45 AM »

It will be mine but life is conspiring against an immediate purchase. Thanks economy.  Roll Eyes

"Bring me the head of Carmen Sandiego" Lynne "The Chief" Thigpen
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

what it means to be human

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2011, 04:50:04 AM »

I won't be buying it, per say...on the day it comes out...I'm still saving...prolly by the end of the year.....not like I don't want it.

...But I've been so out of it and busy that I didnt even pick up In the Key of Life, I mean In the Key of Springfield, I mean BW In the Key of Disney.  Wink
And actually, I was mentioning the boxed set that I'm saving up for....I'll prolly go ahead and get the 2 cd set ahead if time.

To view my video documentation of my Beach Boys collection go to www.youtube.com/justinplank

"Someone needs to tell Adrian Baker that imitation isn't innovation." -The Real Beach Boy

~post of the century~
"Well, you reached out to me too, David, and I'd be more than happy to fill Bgas's shoes. You don't need him anyway - some of us have the same items in our collections as he does and we're also much better writers. Spoiled brat....."
-Mikie

"in this online beach boy community, I've found that you're either correct or corrected. Which in my mind is all in good fun to show ones knowledge of their favorite band."- punkinhead
oldsurferdude
« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2011, 11:00:47 AM »

Not buying it as I am expecting it in my stocking on 25th December Smiley
Waited 44 years-don't really have a big problem with finding it under the tree. Smiley
« Last Edit: October 29, 2011, 11:02:33 AM by oldsurferdude » Logged
Stegibo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2011, 11:27:37 AM »

Do you skip the the songs where you can hear Mike? :D

Are you ready for some Fun Fun Fun?!
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: October 29, 2011, 11:59:12 AM »

Can't afford to buy it...still trying to avoid foreclosure. Keeping my family from being homeless is my #1 priority.

I do want the box though...need to start playing the lottery or something!

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Andy T
Smiley Smile Newbie

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 29, 2011, 02:26:00 PM »

I love the music, but not sure if i buy this that it would signal the end of this great mystery.
I'm grateful it's come out an all, but the official release confirms we don't have a track to part 2 to Surf's Up , swathes of vocal parts aren't there etc.
Prefer to think of 'what if' rather than 'what is'; however it's easy to say that now considering i can purchase it legally and hear it in the highest fidelity.
Maybe if it was still a pipedream i'd be chomping at the bit for even 1 disc worth of Smile material. No pleasin' some people! If i do change my mind i want the pleasure of picking it up in a record store and carrying it home myself. Hope those who mail ordered found their boxes in pristine condition; when i ordered the Mojo Smile special mag (from the publisher) it looked like someone had used it as a doormat before i recieved it. Tip Toe
endofposts
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 29, 2011, 03:25:40 PM »

I'm not sure I'm buying it.  I've owned so many bootlegs of the thing, either bought them or traded for them, that I feel like I've heard it all.  I rarely listen to the bootlegs.  The music depresses me, for some reason.  I can revisit "Pet Sounds" over and over, but "Smile" is hard for me to listen to.  I'll wait and see what the samples sound like.  I also feel a bit ripped off in that the boxed set is so expensive, that I'll never buy it, yet it's probably what I'd prefer.  I also might like the vinyl version just for the artwork (since it was remastered digitally, I'm not sure what the point of vinyl is other than full-sized artwork).  But again, too expensive for what I'd get out of it.  Since the 2 disc CD set is the least desirable to me, I'm not going to rush out to purchase it, if I ever do purchase it.
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

I WILL NEVER GO TO SCHOOL

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 29, 2011, 03:58:31 PM »

I also feel a bit ripped off in that the boxed set is so expensive, that I'll never buy it, yet it's probably what I'd prefer.

s'not that bad, really. Nirvana's Nevermind box set was a total sh*t show, very much lacking and incomprehensive (where as this set is the total opposite) and had a number of errors/sound issues and was 175, which I think is ridiculous. 110-120 for 5 discs, two vinyls, two singles, a gigantic book and some nice packaging isn't a terrible deal at all, to me.

Also, I'll say that the quality here is overall better than any bootleg that's been released prior. The coupled with it being an official release of this materiel, finally, makes it even more worth it.

As for me, I can't afford the box set quite yet, but should have it in a few weeks. There's no way I'm not gonna buy it sooner or later.

Tell me it's okay.
Tell me you still love me.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 29, 2011, 04:59:37 PM »

Some people may be thrown by this thread, but I'm sure there are people out there who won't be buying it. The question is, are you?

I won't be buying the heavy boxset, but I'm buying the 2cd mini set.  I'm not buying the boxset because I think the price is just more than I can feel good about spending on 1 album.  I can afford it, I have plenty of money to spend on stuff like that but that's pretty crazy money in my opinion for a cd. 
JohnMill
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 29, 2011, 05:02:57 PM »

Also, I'll say that the quality here is overall better than any bootleg that's been released prior.

From what I understand that isn't much of a feat.  SMiLE bootlegs are notorious for their depth as well as being infamous for their dodgy sound quality and haphazard assembly.  

Kudos to Boyd, Linett and company for finally setting the record straight and giving the material a package which meets the high standards of the music contained within.

God Bless California
For It Marks My Faith To See
You're The Only State With The Sacred Honor
....to sink into the sea
endofposts
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 29, 2011, 08:55:54 PM »

So now I'm looking to see what the differences are.  There are things on the two CD set that aren't on the giant boxed set.  Plus a one inch button.  Artwork on the big box is different and there's more of it, plus the vinyl is included.  The boxed set also includes Jasper Dailey's rendition of "Teeter Totter Love."  What, are they trying to tempt people with that last one?
Don_Zabu
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 29, 2011, 09:00:01 PM »

Short on money right now.

And I swear I won't pirate it either, at least not the whole thing. They don't deserve that.
JohnMill
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 29, 2011, 09:06:19 PM »

So now I'm looking to see what the differences are.  There are things on the two CD set that aren't on the giant boxed set.  Plus a one inch button.  Artwork on the big box is different and there's more of it, plus the vinyl is included.  The boxed set also includes Jasper Dailey's rendition of "Teeter Totter Love."  What, are they trying to tempt people with that last one?

I asked the same question today and the response I got were that the material is edited (note edited not mixed) differently between the two sets but there is nothing on the 2 disc set that isn't on the box set.

God Bless California
For It Marks My Faith To See
You're The Only State With The Sacred Honor
....to sink into the sea
oldsurferdude
« Reply #18 on: October 29, 2011, 09:07:07 PM »

You mean he's on it?  Wink
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 29, 2011, 09:17:21 PM »

I won't be buying the heavy boxset, but I'm buying the 2cd mini set.  I'm not buying the boxset because I think the price is just more than I can feel good about spending on 1 album.  I can afford it, I have plenty of money to spend on stuff like that but that's pretty crazy money in my opinion for a cd. 

Huh. I thought there were 5 CD's, 2 LP's, 2 45's, and a 60 page book in the box set. That sure is worth 140 bucks to me!! With all the stuff that's in the box set that's not in the 2-CD set and all your hoopla on the board about Smile the last few months and you're only buying the 2-CD set??? Siiiiiiiiiiiiiit!!  Are you sure you have plenty of money??   Roll Eyes

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
endofposts
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 29, 2011, 09:28:49 PM »

It's only $119 on DeepDiscount.com.  But I'm not sure if their reputation is still as bad as years past.  I'm also not sure $119 is cheap enough, even with all the extra music and ephemera.  There's also the matter of where I'd put it.  I already have boxed sets that I rarely listen to and are mostly gathering dust.  The two disc set would get more use, I'm sure, and take up less space.  The big boxed set is something I would have gone for years ago when I was much younger.  It's a combination of not wanting to accumlate too much stuff and just living with Smile for so many years. 

I really thing they dropped the ball by not issuing this years ago, when people were more into CD's instead of downloading music, as well as more enthusiastic about the "Smile" legend.  I know Brian's attitude had a lot to to with it and it could not be changed, but it's unfortunate. 
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 29, 2011, 09:45:04 PM »

I really thing they dropped the ball by not issuing this years ago, when people were more into CD's instead of downloading music, as well as more enthusiastic about the "Smile" legend.

From the sound of it, what you mean is when _you_ were more enthusiastic about the legend. Set seems to be selling pretty well generally.

Not to be personal, either, because there are other folks who've said this too. And sure, we would have all loved a set in 1997 or 1998. But there remains a lot of interest in the project (some from people who aren't on BB message boards), and I don't think anything from the '90s would have been as lavishly and lovingly produced as this set. It is really incredibly well done.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2011, 09:50:58 PM by Wirestone » Logged
Stegibo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 30, 2011, 05:23:51 AM »

You mean he's on it?  Wink
Oh, listen to "Smile Backing Vocals Montage" at 2:19. Mike sounds so great there! What pity Mike didn't sing background vocals in that way on later albums...
« Last Edit: October 30, 2011, 05:26:00 AM by Stegibo » Logged

Are you ready for some Fun Fun Fun?!
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 30, 2011, 05:28:43 AM »

I really thing they dropped the ball by not issuing this years ago, when people were more into CD's instead of downloading music, as well as more enthusiastic about the "Smile" legend.

From the sound of it, what you mean is when _you_ were more enthusiastic about the legend. Set seems to be selling pretty well generally.

Not to be personal, either, because there are other folks who've said this too. And sure, we would have all loved a set in 1997 or 1998. But there remains a lot of interest in the project (some from people who aren't on BB message boards), and I don't think anything from the '90s would have been as lavishly and lovingly produced as this set. It is really incredibly well done.

Not to mention it would have been harder to edit things together. To listen to Boyd and Linett, digital technology was key in getting this album together in a 'palatable' sequence. Didn't one of them say that if they did do it in the 90's, it would have just been sessions?

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
SG7
« Reply #24 on: October 30, 2011, 09:14:25 AM »

It's going to be a Christmas present. I won't be home till Janaury so yeah I got a bit of a wait to have the box. I know it will be so worth it.
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx