gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680599 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 11:33:54 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 Go Down Print
Author Topic: TSS - All things "Barnyard Suite"  (Read 127115 times)
Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #50 on: November 14, 2011, 02:17:10 PM »

FWIW, the piano bleed makes these songs just a bit angrier...and cool. Nothing like Brian pounding away!!

EXACTLY!

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
doinnothin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: November 15, 2011, 11:44:23 PM »

I never noticed until today but the sax line at the end of Sunshine (before Barnshine) is the really similar to the sax line as Great Shape! Definitely makes me wonder if Great Shape was supposed to go in there.

took me a while to understand what was going on in this thread. mainly because i thought that veggie was a bokchoy
bossaroo
Smiley Smile Associate

...let's be friends...

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: November 16, 2011, 10:00:37 AM »

I really love the 'Great Shape' demo, one of my favorite moments in recorded history. The fly-ins don't really fit over the track, and I wonder if vocals were even meant to go on there originally.

Here's a version that combines the demo and the track, while keeping them separate: http://www.sendspace.com/file/i5o3sw
tansen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: November 16, 2011, 12:02:29 PM »

I really love the 'Great Shape' demo, one of my favorite moments in recorded history. The fly-ins don't really fit over the track, and I wonder if vocals were even meant to go on there originally.

Here's a version that combines the demo and the track, while keeping them separate: http://www.sendspace.com/file/i5o3sw

I like that idea, but I would probably loop the two last chords on the piano and fade it out.

Tansen - "He Who Commands an Army of Notes"
Summertime Blooz
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: November 16, 2011, 03:52:48 PM »

I never noticed until today but the sax line at the end of Sunshine (before Barnshine) is the really similar to the sax line as Great Shape! Definitely makes me wonder if Great Shape was supposed to go in there.
I can't really hear the similarity. Although I do think that the Old Master Painter/Sunshine was meant to be the nighttime (sun going down) to I'm In Great Shape's up-at-dawn daytime. Taken together they are the barnyard suite.  I imagine the suite is sung by the protagonist from Heroes & Villains. I use it to end the album as the Capitol tracklist indicates. I have it sequenced thusly:
Eggs & Grits
Barnyard
Do A Lot (H&V version)
Eggs & Grits (no vocal)
With Me Tonight
Eggs & Grits (no vocal)
H&V Fade (strings only)
The Old Master Painter/You Were My Sunshine
H&V Fade

Please visit 'The American(a) Trip Slideshow' where you can watch the videos and listen to fan mixes of all the Smile songs: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=doOws3284PQ&list=PLptIp1kEl6BWNpXyJ_mb20W4ZqJ14-Hgg
sly74
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: November 16, 2011, 06:51:43 PM »

It's indicated in the sessionography vocals were documented as recorded but no tapes are found...similar notes are on "Look", "Surf's Up"....oh the humanity! Sad
bossaroo
Smiley Smile Associate

...let's be friends...

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: November 16, 2011, 10:36:40 PM »

I just wonder if the vocals were meant to go on top of the sax line or somewhere else. It's a damn shame we don't have any official vocals for IIGS, Look, etc.

Either way, the demo fits perfectly with the old-timey piano/western/americana feel of SMiLE

I like that idea, but I would probably loop the two last chords on the piano and fade it out.

the problem with looping the piano chords is all the *coughing* that was going on   Smokin
but i kind of like the coughing to be honest. it fits with all the other sound effects on SMiLE and it's pretty funny in the context of a song about being fit and breathing fresh air. or perhaps a reference to L.A. smog?

if you loop the piano more than once you get Brian repeating the word "country" which likely bothers some, but i happen to dig.

here it is with one loop: http://www.sendspace.com/file/6h068n

here's a continuous loop over one of the celeste takes: http://www.sendspace.com/file/tuy6cz
« Last Edit: November 16, 2011, 10:41:27 PM by bossaroo » Logged
tansen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: November 16, 2011, 10:57:58 PM »

I just wonder if the vocals were meant to go on top of the sax line or somewhere else. It's a damn shame we don't have any official vocals for IIGS, Look, etc.

Either way, the demo fits perfectly with the old-timey piano/western/americana feel of SMiLE

the problem with looping the piano chords is all the *coughing* that was going on   Smokin
but i kind of like the coughing to be honest. it fits with all the other sound effects on SMiLE and it's pretty funny in the context of a song about being fit and breathing fresh air. or perhaps a reference to L.A. smog?

if you loop the piano more than once you get Brian repeating the word "country" which likely bothers some, but i happen to dig.

here it is with one loop: http://www.sendspace.com/file/6h068n

here's a continuous loop over one of the celeste takes: http://www.sendspace.com/file/tuy6cz

Works best with the piano looped once - if you wanna be fancy about it you could automate some EQ that filters out some of the high frequencies when the cough comes, and/or even automate another EQ that gradually removes the frequencies down to say a hundred hertz - so essentially a glorified volume control. This of course in time with a fade-out.

Chris Moise
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: November 17, 2011, 03:51:53 AM »

FWIW the lost I'm In Great Shape vocal session was recorded 10 days *before* the short 'eggs & grits' backing track takes. Whatever was recorded at that vocal session most likely wasn't intended to go on top of the 'eggs & grits' instrumental.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2012, 12:55:41 AM by Chris Moise » Logged
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: November 17, 2011, 01:26:13 PM »

I always wondered whether it was supposed to be acapella in the first place - block chords in harmonies....

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
Micha
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #60 on: November 17, 2011, 10:37:18 PM »

I wonder if the "I'm In Great Shape" on the Dec. tracklist really is the same composition as the one from the H&V demo.

Did Brian keep that title because he thought if "Fire" could cause fires then a track called "I'm In Great Shape" would cause him getting in great shape? Roll Eyes

Ceterum censeo SMiLEBrianum OSDumque esse excludendos banno.
Roger Ryan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: November 18, 2011, 05:48:30 AM »

I always wondered whether it was supposed to be acapella in the first place - block chords in harmonies....

Just going by the lyric, I had thought the whole "Sleep a lot, eat a lot..." bit was "I'm In Great Shape" before I knew better. I now wonder if Brian ever considered using the "sleep a lot" bit to flesh out a complete "I'm In Great Shape" track.
Wrightfan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: November 18, 2011, 02:52:08 PM »

After hearing this, I'm really starting to think that "barnshine" is really one of my favorite sections on SMiLE. Love the "you are my sunshine" lyrics being sung underneath it.
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: November 18, 2011, 09:17:00 PM »

I love these three songs, period. Great Shape is just such a f*ckin ridiculous melody.

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
XXXCD
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: November 20, 2011, 02:45:30 PM »

Can anyone tell me where in the Pet Sounds sessions (the bootleged Sea of Tunes version) that the "The Old Master Painter" is heard being sung ??

I know it exists, but I have never actually heard this myself.

Been Too Long
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: November 20, 2011, 03:33:37 PM »

Can anyone tell me where in the Pet Sounds sessions (the bootleged Sea of Tunes version) that the "The Old Master Painter" is heard being sung ??

I know it exists, but I have never actually heard this myself.

No longer have this but I remember it being during the IKTAA backing sessions, right at the start. Try SOT Vol. 13, disc 4, track 9, right at the start?
Reverend Rock
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #66 on: November 20, 2011, 09:31:05 PM »

Despite the questionable use of the fly-ins, I love that we now have a "Barnyard Suite" that runs just over three minutes. "I'm In Great Shape" worked fine on BWPS, but placed in front of "Barnyard" feels right. The first movement now has a nice little "day at the farm" section before the sun sets and "Cabin Essence" takes over.

I agree.  The only thing I would like even more is if "Barnyard Suite" followed "Heroes and Villains" and preceded "Do You Like Worms" (thus matching Brian's first thoughts when he was demoing "Heroes and Villains" with Van Dyke early on).  And of course, on my latest fan-mix, that's precisely what happens.
XXXCD
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: November 22, 2011, 02:53:15 AM »

No longer have this but I remember it being during the IKTAA backing sessions, right at the start. Try SOT Vol. 13, disc 4, track 9, right at the start?

Good memory !
Thanks, you are correct.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2011, 02:54:08 AM by lunarjetman » Logged
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

I WILL NEVER GO TO SCHOOL

View Profile
« Reply #68 on: November 22, 2011, 08:54:50 AM »

I agree.  The only thing I would like even more is if "Barnyard Suite" followed "Heroes and Villains" and preceded "Do You Like Worms" (thus matching Brian's first thoughts when he was demoing "Heroes and Villains" with Van Dyke early on).  And of course, on my latest fan-mix, that's precisely what happens.

What?

Tell me it's okay.
Tell me you still love me.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
Reverend Rock
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #69 on: November 23, 2011, 07:30:51 PM »

What?

Oh, I shouldn't have worded it like that.  But the piano demo of "Heroes and Villains/I'm In Great Shape/Barnyard" seems to indicate that at one point, Brian considered them pieces of the same song.  And I like to hear them that way.
Camus
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #70 on: November 25, 2011, 02:09:56 AM »

Am I the only one who really dislikes the edits at the end of You Are My Sunshine where the sax part is?
Paul2010
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #71 on: November 25, 2011, 08:35:55 AM »

Am I the only one who really dislikes the edits at the end of You Are My Sunshine where the sax part is?

Hi Camus, I don't think there were any additional edits around the sax solo, that sounds exactly like the bootleg mono mix. The only edit is that a different take was used for The Old Master Painter, before the vocal starts. (Probably because the vocal mix was cleaned up from an acetate and that they wanted to use the best sound quality availble for each part.)
tansen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #72 on: November 25, 2011, 08:49:21 AM »

Good memory !
Thanks, you are correct.

lol, good memory, yeah right. :D

P.J.
Smiley Smile Associate

The least you could do is smile.

View Profile
« Reply #73 on: November 26, 2011, 01:44:57 PM »

Ok, so I am trying to get the session just right for "YAMS/OMP/Barnshine"

11/14/66 - My Only Sunshine: Part 1 (take 11) [found on Disc 3 Track 6, 0:46]
11/14/66 - My Only Sunshine: Part 2 (take 16) [found on Disc 3 Track 6, 5:58]

11/30/66 - My Only Sunshine: Part 1 (Dennis vocals "You Were My Sunshine")

Late 66/Early 67 - My Only Sunshine: Part 2 (Brian, Marylin, & Diane vocals "Dum-bedoo-bedoo")

2/10/67 - My Only Sunshine: Part 2 (Brian vocals "When The Skies Are Blue")

And then I guess the 2/10 vocals were wiped when the section was added to the H&V mix made that day??

"I heard the word -- wonderful thing -- a children's song."
sly74
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #74 on: November 27, 2011, 10:09:03 AM »

2/10/67 - My Only Sunshine: Part 2 (Brian vocals "When The Skies Are Blue")

This is the buried vocal now on the fade correct? It's not Mike? I thought for sure it is.
gfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx