gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680849 Posts in 27616 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 27, 2024, 09:32:27 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 Go Down Print
Author Topic: TSS - All things "Barnyard Suite"  (Read 127590 times)
desmondo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: October 28, 2011, 08:10:43 AM »

Thoughts on IIGS, BY, OMP and YAMS please

Cheers

Richard
tansen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2011, 08:15:40 AM »

I don't really think IIGS / Barnyard fly-ins work that well, would do either or; either the instrumental versions or Brian's demo. Also the fly-ins are very buried in the mix, which is probably for a reason.

Tansen - "He Who Commands an Army of Notes"
Paul2010
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2011, 10:10:58 AM »

I already made two new mixes for IIGS and Barnyard. I'm planning to do some more 'basic' new mixes, which can only use small edits and a simple fade out. My IIGS mix is the last take on the sessions disc, faded out where the disc 1 mix ends. Barnyard is the disc 1 version, but with the first 'vocal' bars replaced by the piano from the instrumental (the backing vocals have not started at that point) and with the other vocal bars just cut out. I figured I could just cut them out without replacing it with the accurate animal sound parts or something, since track has a few edits already (the animal sounds are in a different order than the complete version from the bootlegs). At the end a simple fade out. I think I'll be listening to these basic mixes more than the official mixes for these tracks. The offical mixes are very well done, but I prefer a bit more historical accurate mixes, so without the vocal fly-ins.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2011, 10:11:53 AM by Paul2010 » Logged
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2011, 10:21:43 AM »

I think the fly-ins are fine! I was expecting a disaster, but give or take a bit of clunky piano in Barnyard, it's cool.

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
Paul2010
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2011, 10:24:55 AM »

I think the fly-ins are fine! I was expecting a disaster, but give or take a bit of clunky piano in Barnyard, it's cool.

I think they're fine as well, but I just thought it was nice to have some mixes next to the official ones. (Roll your own!...)

Do you think they might release a Barnyard mix including the vocals but without the fly ins? I find it strange that it is missing from theis set. Maybe they can include it with a digital download?
tansen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2011, 10:51:51 AM »

You don't find they are well buried in the mix even? I mean even if you look away from the pitching/time-stretching artifacts, I think they are quite back in the mix.

hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2011, 04:15:08 AM »

Well, yes. But if you ramped them up in the mix, it would probably expose more artifacts..... It's a tough call.

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
tansen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2011, 07:07:42 AM »

Well, yes. But if you ramped them up in the mix, it would probably expose more artifacts..... It's a tough call.

Yuo. Which is why I think I would prefer just the instrumental track, or the demo instead.

Paul2010
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2011, 07:36:33 AM »

I think they only found something like an acetate source for the OMP vocal. They use an alternate take as the first part, and then the vocal starts. It starts a bit later than in the bootleg mix, I think because the alternate take they used had more space between the drums and 'You were my sunshine'.

The alternate take they used on disc 1 is take 4 I believe. The book says the master take was take 11, but that one's missing (also from UM 17, probably because they used it for the vocal overdub).

Just for fun, I wanted to make a mono mix with a clean start and with the vocal starting at the 'right' point. I used the instrumental take 9 from UM 16 (the take most similar to the vocal take (11), with the 'You were my sunshine' line starting in the same tempo and at the same point) and used it as the first part of my mix, before the vocal from TSS. I sounds not bad, but  I think I will listen to the TSS disc 1 mix most of the time, or the complete vocal mix or the instrumental take 9.

BTW - I really like that they used Barnshine as a fade to this track, it really works.
egon spengler
« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2011, 07:10:30 PM »

Quick question about what's been booted for False Barnyard. On Project Smile, there's a FB session where Brian is directing Carl with some bg vocals, but I haven't heard a version with those vocals properly included. The TSS version doesn't include these vocals either. Is a there a version out there that does?
Bubba Ho-Tep
« Reply #10 on: October 30, 2011, 07:17:14 PM »

I'm not crazy about the fly-in's.

I know this may be blasphemous, but wouldn't it be less jarring for the listener to just have Al or Mike discretely cut new leads for those two bits and maybe push them deep into the mix so they don't stick out so much? Even just as an alternative?
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

I WILL NEVER GO TO SCHOOL

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 30, 2011, 08:34:01 PM »

I know this may be blasphemous, but wouldn't it be less jarring for the listener to just have Al or Mike discretely cut new leads for those two bits and maybe push them deep into the mix so they don't stick out so much? Even just as an alternative?

I really, really wouldn't have minded some bonus tracks that did this. Totally blasphemous, but it would've been cool.

Tell me it's okay.
Tell me you still love me.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
homeontherange
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 31, 2011, 02:41:24 AM »

I discovered something I hadn't heard before in the My Only Sunshine sessions. I often get stuck on little subtle details like this  Grin
Listen to Parts 1 & 2 at 3:56-4:00 something is playing in the background, some wonderful melody/chord change. I don't know if I recognize it really. Is this something Smile that wasn't recorded, or is it something completely else that someone's playing? Sounds like a piece from a Disney film or something.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: October 31, 2011, 03:12:15 AM »

Sounds like an edit artefact to me...

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
homeontherange
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 31, 2011, 03:21:36 AM »

But I sort of recognize it. It's two chords and some notes.. A guitar strumming two chords and another instrument playing the notes.
Haha. I guess I'll let it go, but it's really beautiful.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2011, 03:23:22 AM by homeontherange » Logged
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 31, 2011, 09:33:55 PM »

I'm kind of confused on why they did IIGS the way that they did. Why would they play the melody once through, before you hear Brian's voice and piano come in? It just sounds odd to me. Also, I kind of wish they had used the Purple Chick backing track of IIGS, with the saxophone(?) playing the verse melody.

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
Jonas
Smiley Smile Associate

I've got the Beach Boys, my friends got the Stones

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 01, 2011, 05:31:29 AM »

Whats that vocal buried at the fade of My Only Sunshine? I flippin love it.

We would like to record under an atmosphere of calmness. - Brian Wilson
--
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g1IgXT3xFdU
desmondo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 01, 2011, 07:18:17 AM »

I'm kind of confused on why they did IIGS the way that they did. Why would they play the melody once through, before you hear Brian's voice and piano come in? It just sounds odd to me. Also, I kind of wish they had used the Purple Chick backing track of IIGS, with the saxophone(?) playing the verse melody.

Maybe because that's what Brian intended and I think you'll find the sax does play the melody right from bar one

Cheers

Richard
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 01, 2011, 03:00:51 PM »

I really, really wouldn't have minded some bonus tracks that did this. Totally blasphemous, but it would've been cool.

Yep.  I agree, that would be awesome.  Paul Macca of course resang John's lead on "Real Love" to 'strengthen it'... so they could have Al or somebody sing along with Brian, and push it back into the bed but it would fill in all the rough spots.  Somebody ought to try it out with just their own voice.  Quick, who here sounds like Al Jardine?Huh??
joshferrell
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 01, 2011, 03:09:26 PM »

well it's official...according to the lyrics in the booklet it's "of the agriculture"...
Wrightfan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 01, 2011, 03:34:36 PM »

Other then "Great Shape" which I thought was kind off in it's construction, I really dug this. The end of "My Only Sunshine" is my favorite part.
Chris Brown
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 01, 2011, 07:51:15 PM »

well it's official...according to the lyrics in the booklet it's "of the agriculture"...

Of course the booklet is going to say that, in keeping with the proper lyrics from BWPS.  Those are definitely the official lyrics, but that ain't what Brian is singing on the demo.
trismegistus
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 02, 2011, 11:45:14 AM »

The only bit that feels odd to me is Great Shape...Barnyard sounds fantastic, I think, and YAMS is good as always. There's something about Great Shape that just feels weird, maybe it's how it's structured, because to be honest I've never had a problem with the demo vocals. I'll have to give it a few more tries, but this might be one bit I redo for my next mix.
onkster
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 02, 2011, 11:46:35 AM »

Yes, it is. Listen closer.
Bleachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 02, 2011, 12:10:25 PM »

The only bit that feels odd to me is Great Shape...Barnyard sounds fantastic, I think, and YAMS is good as always. There's something about Great Shape that just feels weird, maybe it's how it's structured, because to be honest I've never had a problem with the demo vocals. I'll have to give it a few more tries, but this might be one bit I redo for my next mix.
I've had the same feeling. It's the time-stretching they've done to make the flyins fit to the backing track.
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx