gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680749 Posts in 27614 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 19, 2024, 08:32:53 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Roll Your Own (...smile mixes post TSS)  (Read 2008 times)
UK_Surf
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: October 24, 2011, 02:34:49 AM »

We've had ML positively encourage fan mixes of TSS material, but the set's release will have ramifications for the whole Smile 'back catalogue' of boots and officially remixed materials.

Here's a list of categories of mixes that I think we'll need. What do you lot think? What have I missed or got wrong? What do you want to see emerge from the home and pro studios of our illustrious engineer/producer/musician Smile brethren?

Albums
Stereo Smile TSS version: a stereo and faked stereo recreation of TTS disc 1

Stereo Smile Discrete Tracks: a stereo version of discrete tracks which follow previous and current official versions, but conceptualised as individual tracks

Stereo Smile Re-imagined Discrete tracks: as above, but track mixes varying  according to new information

Historical Smile: Recreations of Smile as it 'might have been' if released in '67

Ahistorical Smile: Fan mixes and re-interpretations of Smile either in album or discrete track format

Sessions and Miscellaneous

Complete Smile Sessions: every track, mix, and session on TSS and off, arranged according to tracking date

Alternate Smile Sessions and Tracks: every track, mix, and session left out of the boxed set, or, 'everything you need to have all available Smile material' (problematic: what happens to overlap, where extra material covered on TSS exists in longer, booted versions?)

Alternate Smile Sessions and Tracks Highlights: every track, mix, and session left off of TSS, but edited for brevity and concision
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2011, 02:37:08 AM »

Once the box is here I'll have all the mixes I need.  Grin

“We live in divisive times.”
UK_Surf
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2011, 09:32:20 AM »

Like...ever?
Jason
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2011, 10:31:16 AM »

We're already working on the complete inventory of Smile stuff. Just a matter of getting the box set so we can get everything else squared away.

http://smileysmile.net/board/index.php/topic,11250.0.html
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2011, 10:37:09 AM »

Complete Smile Sessions: every track, mix, and session on TSS and off, arranged according to tracking date

I'd be interested to listen to this, what would be good is if some recording wizard mixed unbooted TSS material and the equivalent on boots together - so if, say two minutes of a booted 6 minute session is represented on the box, those cleaner two minutes replace the booted ones. Of course, given the cut & paste nature of Linett & Boyds work on The Pet Sounds Sessions, this could be difficult. But just a thought

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
Paul2010
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2011, 10:37:34 AM »

We've had ML positively encourage fan mixes of TSS material, but the set's release will have ramifications for the whole Smile 'back catalogue' of boots and officially remixed materials.

Here's a list of categories of mixes that I think we'll need. What do you lot think? What have I missed or got wrong? What do you want to see emerge from the home and pro studios of our illustrious engineer/producer/musician Smile brethren?

Albums

Stereo Smile Discrete Tracks: a stereo version of discrete tracks which follow previous and current official versions, but conceptualised as individual tracks

Historical Smile: Recreations of Smile as it 'might have been' if released in '67

1. Do you mean for example: A stereo mix of Look, but without the Child vocals, or Holidays without the whispering wind vocals?

2. Do you mean something like CIFOTM, but edited like the vintage instrumental mono mix?
UK_Surf
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2011, 03:50:26 AM »

Albums

1. Do you mean for example: A stereo mix of Look, but without the Child vocals, or Holidays without the whispering wind vocals?

2. Do you mean something like CIFOTM, but edited like the vintage instrumental mono mix?

1. Yes, unless there was a clear-cut historical justification for that (and I'm not saying there isn't, at all...in fact there very likely is!).

2. Precisely.

I think the key thing for fan mixes looking to re-create a 'historical Smile' is getting that best available material mixed into discrete tracks.
UK_Surf
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2011, 04:02:36 AM »

We're already working on the complete inventory of Smile stuff. Just a matter of getting the box set so we can get everything else squared away.

http://smileysmile.net/board/index.php/topic,11250.0.html

It's a magnificent resource, excellent work guys. I guess this is about conceptualising the work to be done afterwards...the Sessions material in particular raises quite a few questions about what a 'complete' audio sessionography might look like.
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2011, 05:08:35 AM »

With the boxset book, and your work here, Jason & others, we could realistically listen to every surviving SMiLE session! Linett did say every one is represented on the box in some capacity....

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
Jason
« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2011, 07:32:45 AM »

You'll want to check the thread...based on the samples alone I had to make several changes.
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx