gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
681494 Posts in 27639 Topics by 4082 Members - Latest Member: briansclub June 08, 2024, 07:19:14 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Are these quotes mere legend/apocryphy???  (Read 3944 times)
37!ws
Smiley Smile Associate

All baggudo at my man

View Profile WWW
« on: October 24, 2011, 10:05:31 AM »

So....we have seen these two quotes or paraphrased quotes tossed around all the time:

"Don't f**k with the formula"

and of course the alleged Leonard Bernstein quote.

Where did the "formula" quote originate? I'd love to see the entire context.

And the Bernstein thing...both Brian and Van Dyke have said that Bernstein said great things about "Surf's Up." Where? Certainly not Inside Pop, as Brian's segment was during David Oppenheim's half of the show, not Bernstein's...

Check out my podcasts: Tune X Podcast (tunex.fab4it.com) and Autobiography of a Schnook (SchnookPodcast.com); there are worse things you can do!
Iron Horse-Apples
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2011, 10:07:10 AM »

So....we have seen these two quotes or paraphrased quotes tossed around all the time:

And the Bernstein thing...both Brian and Van Dyke have said that Bernstein said great things about "Surf's Up." Where? Certainly not Inside Pop, as Brian's segment was during David Oppenheim's half of the show, not Bernstein's...

If Mike Love didn't say DFWTF then I'd be sorely disappointed. It's a key part of the SMiLE story.
joshferrell
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2011, 10:18:48 AM »

most rock n roll myths/legends have that element of qoutes that people have said that may have some truth to them but also could have been paraphrased or changed throughout the years..so it's probably true up to a point but how much of it is true who knows..it's kindo of like the whole "we're bigger then Jesus" statemeant made by Lennon where that is the ONLY part of the quote that we hear but we don't hear the rest of it so it's taken out of context .in fact he actually said they are more "popular" then Jesus not bigger so the qoute that floats around out there isn't even right,or like Stan Laurel saying "I would rather be skiing then doing this" as his last words before dying who knows if he really said it but it's out there as his last words ..sure Mike may have said it but it could have just been once and then the media (or Rock N Roll mythology/legend) makes it looks like he says it all the time .
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2011, 10:20:15 AM »

I very much doubt Lenny ever talked about "Surf's Up."
Chocolate Shake Man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2011, 10:31:22 AM »

If Mike Love didn't say DFWTF then I'd be sorely disappointed. It's a key part of the SMiLE story.

I think the quote is often attributed to Pet Sounds, not Smile. Also, not sure if it's real or not.
Ebb and Flow
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2011, 10:36:35 AM »

I think the quote is often attributed to Pet Sounds, not Smile. Also, not sure if it's real or not.

I'm pretty sure it originally came from an interview with Tony Asher (I'm thinking the same one where he called Brian an "amateur human being"), so it's definitely in reference to Pet Sounds.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2011, 11:06:58 AM »

No-one has yet succeeded in tracing a contemporary source for the "DFWTF" quote.

As for Bernstein, the voice-over on Brian's part is Oppenheim. Not saying that Len didn't say something nice about "SU", but not on tape.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Chocolate Shake Man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2011, 11:12:00 AM »

How about Paul McCartney naming God Only Knows as his favourite song of all time? Brian often suggests that at his concerts, but has Sir Paul ever actually said that? I seem to remember that even in his Pet Sounds box liner notes, he touts You Still Believe in Me as his favourite from the album.
37!ws
Smiley Smile Associate

All baggudo at my man

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2011, 11:21:04 AM »

Yeah, I've seen more than one instance in writing of Paul attributing that to "You Still Believe In Me." (Speaking of Macca...I seem to remember LONG ago that the whole vegetable-chomping thing was debunked.)

In that matter, what about the "surfing Doris Days" reference??

Check out my podcasts: Tune X Podcast (tunex.fab4it.com) and Autobiography of a Schnook (SchnookPodcast.com); there are worse things you can do!
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: October 24, 2011, 11:29:21 AM »

"Surfing Doris days", yes, I've seen the original to that... "The public thinks of us as surfing Doris Days."

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 24, 2011, 11:32:31 AM »

"Surfing Doris days", yes, I've seen the original to that... "The public thinks of us as surfing Doris Days."

Attributed to one of Doris Day's producers, one Bruce Johnston.

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
On Stage As It Is In Studio,
Give Us This Day, Our Shortenin' Bread
And Forgive Us Our Bootlegs,
As We Also Have Forgiven Our Wife And Managers,
And Lead Us Not Into Kokomo,
But Deliver Us From Mike Love.
Amen.  ---hypehat
Fall Breaks
Smiley Smile Associate

How it really got to my soul

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 24, 2011, 02:20:38 PM »

How about Paul McCartney naming God Only Knows as his favourite song of all time? Brian often suggests that at his concerts, but has Sir Paul ever actually said that? I seem to remember that even in his Pet Sounds box liner notes, he touts You Still Believe in Me as his favourite from the album.
Maybe I shouldn't add to the confusion with a vague memory of something I read, but here goes: Paul was asked recently (= last ten years or so) about GOK being his favorite song, and he sort of confirmed it, sort of didn't. What he said was that he once, in an earlier interview, had been asked what his favorite song was, and felt that he had to come up with something, and GOK were among the first songs to come to his mind, so he said it.

"I think people should write better melodies and sing a little sweeter, and knock off that stupid rap crap, y’know? Rap is really ridiculous" -- Brian Wilson, 2010
Autotune
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 24, 2011, 04:29:22 PM »

Maybe I shouldn't add to the confusion with a vague memory of something I read, but here goes: Paul was asked recently (= last ten years or so) about GOK being his favorite song, and he sort of confirmed it, sort of didn't. What he said was that he once, in an earlier interview, had been asked what his favorite song was, and felt that he had to come up with something, and GOK were among the first songs to come to his mind, so he said it.

The first Pet Sounds issue on CD in the US included an insert with an interview David Leaf conducted with Paul Mc. He talks at length about GOK being his favorite. This was 1990, me thinks. Previously, he had answered a Rolling Stone magazine poll about favorite songs and GOK was on top or #2. But his favoritism statement dates from before, as in the 25th Anniversary Special Mike reads a cue about Macca's love for the song.

"His lyrical ability has never been touched by anyone, except for Mike Love."

-Brian Wilson on Van Dyke Parks (2015)
PongHit
Smiley Smile Associate

AVOID MISSING BALL FOR HIGH SCORE • JeffWinner.com

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: October 24, 2011, 06:22:06 PM »

How about Paul McCartney naming God Only Knows as his favourite song of all time? … has Sir Paul ever actually said that?

"'God Only Knows' is a big favorite of mine."
—Paul McCartney

http://blog.brianwilson.com/musicians-on-brian/

''Only more damage can arise from this temporary, fleeting image of success known as The Beach Boys.''
—MURRY WILSON

''People are thinking Mike Love is crazy.''
—MIKE LOVE

''Mike Love? He's Crazy.''
—BRIAN WILSON
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 24, 2011, 09:02:05 PM »

Mike probably said "Don't f*** with the Formula".  People feel different things at different times.  Only famous people like Mike, however, get held to everything they've ever said.  I'd shudder to think if people held everything I ever said against me.  I've said I love you and I hate you to the same damn people.  Which one is it?  It's whatever moment it's in.  It's one of the downfalls of being famous, people take you too seriously. 
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 24, 2011, 09:05:10 PM »

Paul's talked extensively about the entire album.  He specifically said that he likes God Only Knows because of the bassline (of course, Paul is one of the greatest bass players of all time, imho).  I'm not great on music theory, but Paul was impressed that the bassline of the song doesn't play the root it plays the 5th or 7th or something through the song.  I believe he may have even talked about that song in particular in his induction speech for Brian.  He's said before too that it's not easy to write a song as great as God Only Knows.

About "You still believe in me" he's said that it's his favorite before as well, and he's said that the part at the end where it goes away, then comes back blows him away every time.  He's said the first time he ever heard that song he cried after he heard it, and he said somewhere sometime that when his kids would be going off on a trip he'd give them a copy of Pet Sounds to listen to on the way, or whatever.  Talked about how he would point out "look, look, listen how it fades out, then comes back in" or whatever in the song.  

He's without a doubt as huge of a fan as he's made out to be. Paul's a fan of good music though, i'm sure most people know his publishing company is the largest privately owned collection of songs in the world including Buddy Holly's, and a bunch of stuff like that.  
« Last Edit: October 24, 2011, 09:10:02 PM by Ron » Logged
Iron Horse-Apples
« Reply #16 on: October 25, 2011, 05:18:19 AM »

, and he said somewhere sometime that when his kids would be going off on a trip he'd give them a copy of Pet Sounds to listen to on the way, or whatever.  

Disgusting. Just cos he liked smoking LSD and dropping pot doesn't mean he should give it to his kids.
Cliff1000uk
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 25, 2011, 05:42:10 AM »

, and he said somewhere sometime that when his kids would be going off on a trip he'd give them a copy of Pet Sounds to listen to on the way, or whatever.  

Disgusting. Just cos he liked smoking LSD and dropping pot doesn't mean he should give it to his kids.

Better remind Brian of that, then
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 25, 2011, 06:59:45 AM »

lol.  I think Marilyn got that point across to him pretty good, eh?
Iron Horse-Apples
« Reply #19 on: October 25, 2011, 07:05:28 AM »

]

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y57e-zmvLc8
Sound of Free
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 25, 2011, 08:48:46 AM »

Next you'll be telling me Mike didn't tell Dennis, "You're out of the band, Buckwheat!"  Wink
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 25, 2011, 08:50:31 AM »

]

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y57e-zmvLc8

I think I found my new ringtone Grin

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx