gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 09:59:58 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: New BW/Smile interview (video)  (Read 7479 times)
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« on: October 19, 2011, 12:37:34 AM »

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-15363393

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2011, 12:48:07 AM »

Concise and does the job!  Good collection of clips and the first public airings of Fire & Brian Falls in to the Piano.

“We live in divisive times.”
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2011, 01:06:10 AM »

Shame about the major factual errors... but balanced by Brian stating that it was drugs and his & Van Dyke's decision that put paid to the project, with no mention of the evil Mike Love. That'll piss off the more rabid blooies.  Grin

Iron Horse-Apples
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2011, 01:51:13 AM »

Shame about the major factual errors... but balanced by Brian stating that it was drugs and his & Van Dyke's decision that put paid to the project, with no mention of the evil Mike Love. That'll piss off the more rabid blooies.  Grin

Well that's because Mike was standing off camera with his lawyer and an "Mike Loves SMiLE" T-Shirt on (or should that be "Mike Love's SMiLE?)
buddhahat
Smiley Smile Associate

Hi, my name's Doug. Would you like to dance?

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2011, 02:15:49 AM »

Great stuff - cheers for posting!

Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes ......
STE
Smiley Smile Associate

"I'm not on top like I used to be"

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2011, 02:25:46 AM »

1969 eh?

The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2011, 02:28:06 AM »

Shame about the major factual errors...

You mean he was actually trapped between the B and the B-flat?

runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

I WILL NEVER GO TO SCHOOL

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2011, 02:28:48 AM »

They talk like "Brian Farts Into His Piano" was supposed to be the lead single or something as opposed to he and his friends dicking around.

Tell me it's okay.
Tell me you still love me.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
buddhahat
Smiley Smile Associate

Hi, my name's Doug. Would you like to dance?

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2011, 02:31:03 AM »

They talk like "Brian Farts Into His Piano" was supposed to be the lead single or something as opposed to he and his friends dicking around.

Yeah would've been nice to showcase some of the more impressive unknown songs, but seems the crazy, drug-fuelled angle was the one they wanted to take here.

Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes ......
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2011, 03:00:09 AM »

That too.

Sam_BFC
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 19, 2011, 05:58:40 AM »

The 1969 comment seems to have been replaced!

"..be cautious, don't get your hopes up, look over your shoulder because heartbreak and darkness are always ready to pounce"

petsoundsnola
smackdaddy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 19, 2011, 06:04:08 AM »

I'll have some of whatever Brian's having.
Wrightfan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 19, 2011, 07:03:10 AM »

Interesting comments by Brian. He's given some of his best interviews this year for sure. Has opened up more.
Micha
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: October 19, 2011, 07:06:25 AM »

Does the b-flat have a kitchen and a bathroom?

Ceterum censeo SMiLEBrianum OSDumque esse excludendos banno.
Micha
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: October 19, 2011, 07:17:58 AM »

Nice there's another film on the right called "The truth about raw carrots"! Cheesy

Ceterum censeo SMiLEBrianum OSDumque esse excludendos banno.
onkster
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 19, 2011, 07:18:18 AM »

Brian handles this very well. But egads: this doesn't make me love the popular press any better. That whole pandering-to-public-preconceptions* thing always bugs the hell out of me.

*Sincere apologies for suddenly channeling Spiro Agnew there.
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 19, 2011, 07:20:53 AM »

Brian handles this very well. But egads: this doesn't make me love the popular press any better. That whole pandering-to-public-preconceptions* thing always bugs the hell out of me.

*Sincere apologies for suddenly channeling Spiro Agnew there.

Hrm?

Tell me it's okay.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 19, 2011, 07:33:21 AM »

Does the b-flat have a kitchen and a bathroom?

A-sharp!

Chris Brown
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 19, 2011, 07:59:16 AM »

Brian is always good for some interesting comments, but Brian's explanation about how the drugs were the cause of the project's non-completion is quite misleading.  We've all heard these sessions, and aside from that "Our Prayer" session we all know and love, Brian is always in control and gets more accomplished than anyone on drugs ever could.  If he had referred to the drug use in a more general way, talking about how the effects they had on his overall state of mind which in turn played a role in the project being shelved, I could buy that.  But as Vosse and Van Dyke have alluded to, when you look at the amount of work that was done in a relatively short period of time, you really can't say that drugs impeded things from a production standpoint.

Same goes for the "too advanced" line that Brian always trots out now - reading the contemporary interviews, it's clear that Brian wanted to advance music beyond where it had been.  He knew that the scene was changing and that he had to be first with the "new sound."  He talks about going past Spector, creating a white spiritual sound and "scaring a whole lot of people when (he) gets there."  It would be more accurate to say that Brian just lost confidence in himself and, in turn, Smile.  I think that Brian saying that it was "too advanced" is his way of sugar-coating the severe mental decline he suffered that caused him to kill the project.  Not that I blame him, mind you - it's much easier to say the music was too advanced than to talk about some very painful memories associated with that time period.  It doesn't tell the whole story though, and I wish there was a way we could get more of that beyond the typical surface-level comments we always hear.
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 19, 2011, 09:17:59 AM »

Brian looks pretty tired..

Nice piece anyway, you can't go wrong with any of that footage

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
Dan Lega
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 19, 2011, 02:28:26 PM »

Now wait a minute...  you don't seriously believe that Van Dyke was in on the decision to scrap the project, do you?   I'm pretty sure Van Dyke doesn't believe this, since Van Dyke has previously said that he was fired from the project after Mike questioned his lyrics.  This, to me, is just Brian once again blowing smoke over the real reason for the stillbirth -- the same thing he has done for so many years.

Love and merci,   Dan Lega
Autotune
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 19, 2011, 02:54:32 PM »

This, to me, is just Brian once again blowing smoke over the real reason for the stillbirth -- the same thing he has done for so many years.

Meaning Mike Love?

Where did VDP state that he was fired? Was he?

"His lyrical ability has never been touched by anyone, except for Mike Love."

-Brian Wilson on Van Dyke Parks (2015)
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 19, 2011, 03:05:08 PM »

Brian and anyone else involved has never given a solid, single reason as to why it was abandoned. It was a combination of things. How is he "blowing smoke over" it?

Tell me it's okay.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: October 19, 2011, 04:10:06 PM »

Now wait a minute...  you don't seriously believe that Van Dyke was in on the decision to scrap the project, do you?   I'm pretty sure Van Dyke doesn't believe this, since Van Dyke has previously said that he was fired from the project after Mike questioned his lyrics.  This, to me, is just Brian once again blowing smoke over the real reason for the stillbirth -- the same thing he has done for so many years.

Love and merci,   Dan Lega

I don't recall reading VDP was fired when Mike questioned his lyrics (nonsense anyway, given that he was around long after the "Cabin Essence" vocal sessions), rather that he walked out in a huff in early 1967, stayed away for a couple of weeks, came back, realised it was going nowhere and accepted Warners' offer of a solo deal.

hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 19, 2011, 05:08:42 PM »

Sounds like what I figure. Van Dyke, although he would have loved it to happen, could not influence a Smile release in '67 any more than Mike, Al, Carl, Dennis, Bruce or Al. It was Brian's decision.

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx