gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680598 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 10:35:23 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 8 Go Down Print
Author Topic: How do YOU think Smile would have went?  (Read 34587 times)
ApolloSkye
Smiley Smile Newbie

View Profile
« on: October 18, 2011, 04:10:20 PM »

I'm speaking of the tracklisting, and this is if it had been released in the 60s. Of course everyone's gonna be like "It's impossible to know, he never decided!" but this thread is asking how YOU think it would have went. Make an educated guess based on what flows best, makes the most sense, etc. (First post for me!)

Warped Beach Boys pop with lush effects and beautiful melodies. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FTnBc_-QCXk
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2011, 04:40:19 PM »

Welcome! Stick around, these are exciting times  Grin

Let's see.

We have assurances from those at the time that despite the gargantuan task of sequencing this monster, it was to be twelve tracks with no crossfades, no suites, and essentially not BWPS.

Prayer was to just be an intro, not a standalone track. But, nevertheless, finished.

Look & Holidays were left in the can early in the game, which is either a sign that they were finished instrumentals or not to be used. Given brian's lack of enthusiasm for it since, we can knock off He Gives Speeches. Carl's Tune X was 99% unlikely to turn up. Dada is also unlikely, as it was the last SMiLE session, done way after work on a full album was considered - a large portion of '67 was given to H&V and Vege-tables sessions for a single. But other people like it....

Good Vibrations would be on there.

The tracklisting sent to Capitol is another consideration - these songs are definite, as far as we know. On some of the threads round here, there is a lot of deliberation on this, though. For instance, Barnyard isn't on it. But Great Shape is.

Ok, so my liquored guess is....

Side 1
1. Heroes & Villains (Incorporating Prayer at the start, then just Brian's March '67 Single Edit. It's the only edit we have)
2. I'm In Great Shape (Just the 30 seconds - I don't think it was due for more than that. If you were feeling fresh, it could segue into Barnyard like he does on the Humble Harv demo)
3. Do You Like Worms
4. Wind Chimes
5. The Old Master Painter (Why this is on the 12 tracklist, I don't know)
6. Cabinessence.

Side 2.
1. Good Vibrations
2. Vega-tables
3. Fire (Seeing as extensive tape research hasn't turned up a single other piece of music that lies under the banner 'The Elements', this is telling. No-one's been able to solve 'The Elements', from the garbled BW interviews and Frank Holmes' drawing).
4. Wonderful
5. Child Is The Father of The Man (No ideas as to the edit on this - the fact an unbooted acetate is used on the box in lieu of BW's Nov '66 mix is intriguing. It might well be definitive).
6. Surf's Up.

Howzat?
« Last Edit: October 18, 2011, 04:43:05 PM by hypehat » Logged

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2011, 04:43:47 PM »

Welcome! Stick around, these are exciting times  Grin

Let's see.

We have assurances from those at the time that despite the gargantuan task of sequencing this monster, it was to be twelve tracks with no crossfades, no suites, and essentially not BWPS.

Prayer was to just be an intro, not a standalone track. But, nevertheless, finished.

Look & Holidays were left in the can early in the game, which is either a sign that they were finished instrumentals or not to be used. Given brian's lack of enthusiasm for it since, we can knock off He Gives Speeches. Carl's Tune X was 99% unlikely to turn up. Dada is also unlikely, as it was the last SMiLE session, done way after work on a full album was considered - a large portion of '67 was given to H&V and Vege-tables sessions for a single. But other people like it....

Good Vibrations would be on there.

The tracklisting sent to Capitol is another consideration - these songs are definite, as far as we know. On some of the threads round here, there is a lot of deliberation on this, though. For instance, Barnyard isn't on it. But Great Shape is.

Ok, so my liquored guess is....

Side 1
1. Heroes & Villains (Incorporating Prayer at the start, then just Brian's March '67 Single Edit. It's the only edit we have)
2. I'm In Great Shape (Just the 30 seconds - I don't think it was due for more than that. If you were feeling fresh, it could segue into Barnyard like he does on the Humble Harv demo)
3. Do You Like Worms
4. Wonderful
5. Child Is The Father of The Man (No ideas as to the edit on this - the fact an unbooted acetate is used on the box in lieu of BW's Nov '66 mix is intriguing. It might well be definitive).
6. Cabinessence.

Side 2.
1. Good Vibrations
2. Wind Chimes
3. Vega-tables
4. Fire (Seeing as extensive tape research hasn't turned up a single other piece of music that lies under the banner 'The Elements', this is telling. No-one's been able to solve 'The Elements', from the garbled BW interviews and Frank Holmes' drawing).
6. Surf's Up.

Howzat?

Pretty good, got all the really great SMiLE songs in an order that makes sense and would be amazing to listen to in that order. Rock!

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2011, 04:44:56 PM »

Typical of SMiLE, however, i edited the tracklisting almost immediately after posting that.  LOL

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
FatherOfTheMan Sr101
Smiley Smile Associate

I made a game

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2011, 04:50:19 PM »

My Definitive, after an extensive 5 years of research, is

(SIDE 1)
1. Heroes and Villains (with Prayer at the beginning)
2. I'm In Great Shape (Including Barnyard)
3. Do You Like Worms?
4. Old Master Painter
5. Cabin Essence
6. Good Vibrations

(SIDE 2)
7. Wonderful
8. Child Is Father Of The Man (Starting with "the Vega-Tables" part, then Vibes, Then Chorus, Verse, Chorus, Ending Piano
9. Surf's Up
10. Vegatables
11. Wind Chimes
12. Fire
13. Dada

ApolloSkye
Smiley Smile Newbie

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2011, 04:53:39 PM »

My Definitive, after an extensive 5 years of research, is

(SIDE 1)
1. Heroes and Villains (with Prayer at the beginning)
2. I'm In Great Shape (Including Barnyard)
3. Do You Like Worms?
4. Old Master Painter
5. Cabin Essence
6. Good Vibrations

(SIDE 2)
7. Wonderful
8. Child Is Father Of The Man (Starting with "the Vega-Tables" part, then Vibes, Then Chorus, Verse, Chorus, Ending Piano
9. Surf's Up
10. Vegatables
11. Wind Chimes
12. Fire
13. Dada

Can you give your reasoning? especially for the second half

Warped Beach Boys pop with lush effects and beautiful melodies. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FTnBc_-QCXk
joshferrell
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2011, 04:59:46 PM »

i was wondering if he was going  to do a "Smile" the whatever was left over would have been on the next album,whatver it would have been called,for now we'll just call it Smiley Smile..
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2011, 05:00:33 PM »

Typical of SMiLE, however, i edited the tracklisting almost immediately after posting that.  LOL
I really like your revised track listing. The songs flow nicely.

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
On Stage As It Is In Studio,
Give Us This Day, Our Shortenin' Bread
And Forgive Us Our Bootlegs,
As We Also Have Forgiven Our Wife And Managers,
And Lead Us Not Into Kokomo,
But Deliver Us From Mike Love.
Amen.  ---hypehat
Jason
« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2011, 05:10:41 PM »

Ding Dang
Shortenin' Bread
Be My Baby
My Obsession
Let It Be
Rhapsody In Blue
Ding Dang/Shortenin' Bread/Be My Baby/My Obsession/Let It Be/Rhapsody In Blue megamix 45 minute uber-medley
FatherOfTheMan Sr101
Smiley Smile Associate

I made a game

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2011, 06:00:45 PM »

Can you give your reasoning? especially for the second half

I Fixed One Mistake I Had Tongue

(SIDE 1)
1. Heroes and Villains (with Prayer at the beginning) - Obvious Tongue
2. I'm In Great Shape (Including Barnyard) - I always thought of H and V as part of the "Barnyard Suite"
3. Old Master Painter - Starts with a pickup note that fits right on to Barnyard
4. Do You Like Worms? - It Fits well following Barnyard.
5. Cabin Essence- Ends The "Barnyard Suite" one of the only SMiLE tracks to have a Natural Fade.
6. Good Vibrations- Wouldn't Fit On Side 2, it probably should be there Tongue (track 1?)

(SIDE 2)
7. Wonderful - Would be a great side opener (See "Hey You" on "The Wall"  to get my point)
8. Child Is Father Of The Man (Starting with "the Vega-Tables" part, then Vibes, Then Chorus, Verse, Chorus, Ending Piano- The Masculine "Wonderful"
9. Surf's Up - Might End The Album, But It Definitely Belongs After CIFOTM (Brian Even Says The Ending of Child sounds like a part of SU on the SMiLE DVD)
10. Vega-Tables - Somewhere on Side 2, Beginning the string of "elemental" songs
11. Wind Chimes
12. Fire
13. Dada- After Fire, and ending the album

Steve Mayo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 18, 2011, 06:45:51 PM »

after 45 years of waiting for this release, never thinking it would actually happen, hoping prior announced releases would actually be released, listening to all the boots and fan mixes and lineups, then bwps.....my head is spinning. been listening to smile material since 1979. i think i will just wait 2 weeks for the smile sessions to be in my hands and be very happy and satisfied with whatever is on it in what order. my mind is dizzy thinking about all the what ifs. i will welcome it as is.

moderatorem non facit stultus est ingenio
TV Forces
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 18, 2011, 06:55:56 PM »

I think it is important to point out that if SMiLE came out in 1967, it wouldn't have a "flow."  After 45 years of obsession, we've all looked into themes and other ways the songs relate to each other and we've made our own suites and movements.  But the album at the time would have most likely been 12 separate tracks plus "Prayer" at the beginning.  The tracks could probably be on shuffle mode for all it matters.  The point is that this album would have songs like "Heroes and Villiains," "Cabin Essence," "Surf's Up," "Wonderful," "Good Vibrations," and "Wind Chimes."  I think like "Pet Sounds," it wouldn't have sold well and like "Pet Sounds," it would be massively influential and gain its footing in the years to come.  
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

I WILL NEVER GO TO SCHOOL

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 18, 2011, 07:00:19 PM »

I think it is important to point out that if SMiLE came out in 1967, it wouldn't have a "flow."

wat makes you think that?

Tell me it's okay.
Tell me you still love me.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
puni puni
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 18, 2011, 07:21:23 PM »

side a-
our prayer
heroes and villains
? ? ?
? ? ?
? ? ?
? ? ?

side b-
good vibrations
? ? ?
? ? ?
? ? ?
? ? ?
surf's up
Chris Brown
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 18, 2011, 07:28:54 PM »

Side 1
3. Do You Like Worms
4. Wind Chimes
6. Cabinessence.

Side 2.
1. Good Vibrations
2. Vega-tables
3. Fire (Seeing as extensive tape research hasn't turned up a single other piece of music that lies under the banner 'The Elements', this is telling. No-one's been able to solve 'The Elements', from the garbled BW interviews and Frank Holmes' drawing).
4. Wonderful
6. Surf's Up.

I like this a lot - the only place I differ is with "I'm In Great Shape," which I think would have been a medley incorporating "Barnyard" in some way (as the latter was not on the December track list, but I think it would have ended up on there somehow).

I LOVE the final trilogy of "Wonderful," "Child" and "Surf's Up."  That would have been a killer way to close the album!
JohnMill
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 18, 2011, 07:35:53 PM »

True but there was a "Water" chant tracked at some point during the sessions.  Hard for me to imagine that was for anything other than "The Elements".

God Bless California
For It Marks My Faith To See
You're The Only State With The Sacred Honor
....to sink into the sea
grillo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 18, 2011, 08:13:58 PM »

Prayer/Good Vibrations      
Do You Dig Worms?   
Wonderful       
Vega-Tables    
Cabin Essence             
Heroes And Villains      
Child is Father of the Man   
The Old Master Painter   
Wind Chimes      
Mrs. O'Leary's Cow   
Surf's Up      

“You never change things by fighting the existing reality.
To change something, build a new model that makes the existing model obsolete.”
― Richard Buckminster Fuller
Dead Parrot
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 18, 2011, 09:02:59 PM »

Side 1
Prayer
Heroes & Villians
I'm In Great Shape/Barnyard
Old Master Painter
Wonderful
Cabinessence
Do You Like Worms?

Side 2
Good Vibrations
Vege-Tables
Wind Chimes
Mrs O'Leary's Cow
I Love To Say Da-Da
Surf's Up
Child Is Father Of The Man
Heroes & Villians (Reprise)
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 18, 2011, 09:10:10 PM »

Prayer/Good Vibrations      
Do You Dig Worms?   
Wonderful       
Vega-Tables    
Cabin Essence             
Heroes And Villains      
Child is Father of the Man   
The Old Master Painter   
Wind Chimes      
Mrs. O'Leary's Cow   
Surf's Up      

Rock!

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
trismegistus
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 18, 2011, 09:53:58 PM »

Hmm...I've been working on ideas for a new mix, and I'm one of those purists who try to make something similar to a 67 version, so I might as well toss that out there...I'll expand on this all after the honeymoon, but at least for now I'll post the tracklist:

Prayer (unlisted)
H&V pt. 1 (inc. Great Shape)
H&V pt. 2 (inc. Barnyard)
Do You Like Worms?
Wonderful
Cabinessence

H&V 'intro' ie Fire intro (unlisted)
Vegetables
Wind Chimes
Fire
Love to Say Da-Da
Child is the Father of the Man
Surf's Up

No clue where to put Vibrations...it would feel weird stuck in the middle of either side, but I think that H&V and Vegetables make killer side openers, and Cabinessence and Surf's Up make killer side closers...possibly lead off side 2 with it before the 'Fire intro' so that it sits apart from the rest of the tracks...it actually might sound good with the Intro whistle following the Vibrations fade...
smile-holland
Smiley Smile Associate

The dream of Amsterdamee...

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 19, 2011, 02:54:00 AM »

Ding Dang
Shortenin' Bread
Be My Baby
My Obsession
Let It Be
Rhapsody In Blue
Ding Dang/Shortenin' Bread/Be My Baby/My Obsession/Let It Be/Rhapsody In Blue megamix 45 minute uber-medley

Ah, too have witnessed that in a BWPS-format live in 2004.  Grin

Rule of thumb, think BEFORE you post. And THINK how it may affect someone else's feelings.

Check out the Beach Boys Starline website, the place for pictures of many countries Beach Boys releases on 45.

Listening to you I get the music; Gazing at you I get the heat; Following you I climb the mountain; I get excitement at your feet
Right behind you I see the millions; On you I see the glory; From you I get opinions; From you I get the story
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: October 19, 2011, 02:59:24 AM »

I think Smile would have went somewhat more grammatically correctly.  Smiley

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

I WILL NEVER GO TO SCHOOL

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 19, 2011, 03:05:20 AM »

The entire damn album is just a bunch of extensions of "Heroes And Villains" anyway.

1. Heroes And Villains I
2. Heroes And Villains II
3. Heroes And Villains III
4. Heroes And Villains IV
5. Heroes And Villains V
6. Heroes And Villains VI
7. Heroes And Villains VII
8. Heroes And Villains VIII
9. Heroes And Villains IX
10. Heroes And Villains X
11. Heroes And Villains XI
12. Heroes And Villains XII

There.

Tell me it's okay.
Tell me you still love me.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
Iron Horse-Apples
« Reply #23 on: October 19, 2011, 03:07:24 AM »

I think it would have been two sides of continuous music.

Don't care what the evidence is to the contrary, don't care what anyone says, don't care for the current fashionable opinion that it would have had banding.

No one knows.

But my SMiLE flows

Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: October 19, 2011, 03:07:47 AM »

I disagree - what you refer to as "Heroes And Villains IX" is clearly a reworking of the previous track, and should thus be correctly identified as "Heroes And Villains VIII(b)".

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 8 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx