gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
681011 Posts in 27626 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims May 15, 2024, 02:32:19 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: SMiLE Sessions from a collector's viewpoint  (Read 4393 times)
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« on: October 18, 2011, 06:58:39 AM »

So, I imagine this information is available here already, but I can't figure out where, exactly:

Tho I probably won't bother actually listening to most of this set/the different versions, I'd still like to know what  differences there are between the various products being made available, so I know what to buy for "the collection".
 Are the 2-LP and 2-CD versions different in any way from the same discs included in the box set? Are there bonus items included with any of the various sets, that aren't part of the others?
 Are there more versions than just the Box, the 2-LP or the 2-CD? Are there to be bonus cuts available only thru retailers? ( If so, which?)
 And I don't mean the Surfboard or Lighted versions, or care about them.( unless I win the lottery, in which case I'd buy them all )
Yes, I only follow this stuff with a minimal interest. For the 40+/- years I've waited for this to see the light of day, I've never bothered with my own mix, nor even listened to most of the ones I do have( sorry, Rev)
But I do collect.

Thanxx to anyone that can help

Nothing I post is my opinion, it's all a message from God
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2011, 07:07:27 AM »

The vinyl is the same, but disc 2 of the 2 cd has a unique tracklist of session composites. Whether it actually has unique material remains to be seen, but I'm not sure how that affects your decision....

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2011, 07:13:53 AM »

The vinyl is the same, but disc 2 of the 2 cd has a unique tracklist of session composites. Whether it actually has unique material remains to be seen, but I'm not sure how that affects your decision....

That's a good point. In reality I stopped collecting CDs, 5 or more years ago; but I figure I should have the 2CD set if it's substantially different than the ones included with the Box, which I'm definitely purchasing( It will look pretty neat on the shelf/wall with my other SMiLE things) 
Are there any buttons or promo-like items included in any of the various product?

hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2011, 07:17:25 AM »

2CD has a button not included in the box.... Sold?  Smiley

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.

bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2011, 07:26:31 AM »

2CD has a button not included in the box.... Sold?  Smiley

Yes,  they'll get my $$ for that. Anything in the separate 2-LP set? 
And it appears there is also a single CD release?

Cliff1000uk
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2011, 07:28:06 AM »

Yep-there's a button in the 2CD set. Also, Side 4 of the LP is:

8. Your Welcome - Stereo Mix (Side Four) [LP Vinyl]  
9. Vega - Tables  
10. Wind Chimes - Stereo Mix (Side Four) [LP Vinyl]  
11. Cabin Essence - Session Highlights and Stereo Backing Track (Side Four) [LP Vinyl]  
12. Surf's Up - Session Excerpt and Stereo Mix (Side Four) [LP Vinyl]  

I've checked the tracklistings for the CDs and can't see any of these on them so assume they are exclusive to the vinyl
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2011, 07:33:52 AM »

I could be mistaken, but I think Mark said in the first part of that icon-fetch interview that there was material on the vinyl exclusive only to the vinyl.

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2011, 07:34:07 AM »

The single cd is just the first disc of the 2CD, no extra tracks, no poster. Think the separate Vinyl is the same - although for some reason I keep thinking it came with a different inner gatefold? Don't know what it entails. And yes, those tracks are exclusive.

Cliff1000uk
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2011, 07:44:26 AM »

Rab/Hypehat-thanks for clarifying. You're right, Mark did mention it

There's only so many times I can see the words Session, Highlights and mix following on from songs without getting Smile-blindness!!
JohnMill
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2011, 07:56:39 AM »

I could be mistaken, but I think Mark said in the first part of that icon-fetch interview that there was material on the vinyl exclusive only to the vinyl.

Yes but it should also be pointed out that the vinyl is also included in the box set so you don't need to buy the stand alone vinyl AND the box set unless you want inner sleeve art which will be included with the stand-alone vinyl and not the box set vinyl.

Confusing isn't i?  Sad

God Bless California
For It Marks My Faith To See
You're The Only State With The Sacred Honor
....to sink into the sea
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 18, 2011, 08:12:56 AM »

Yes but it should also be pointed out that the vinyl is also included in the box set so you don't need to buy the stand alone vinyl AND the box set unless you want inner sleeve art which will be included with the stand-alone vinyl and not the box set vinyl.

Confusing isn't i?  Sad

Sounds like buyiing the box set is the first best option, then checking to see what the other options have before buying.
Inner sleeve art = the dust jackets for the LPs?

onkster
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 18, 2011, 08:41:49 AM »

What about those of us who don't have a turntable setup any more? Will there be a digital download of the vinyl-only stuff so we can at least enjoy it without having to buy new old technology?
JohnMill
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 18, 2011, 08:47:43 AM »

What about those of us who don't have a turntable setup any more? Will there be a digital download of the vinyl-only stuff so we can at least enjoy it without having to buy new old technology?

That is the million dollar question right there my friend. 

God Bless California
For It Marks My Faith To See
You're The Only State With The Sacred Honor
....to sink into the sea
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 18, 2011, 08:49:17 AM »

The only place offering it available as a download pre-order, Play.Com, doesn't have them, but then it's also not ordered properly. So in short, we don't know yet.

Cliff1000uk
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 18, 2011, 09:12:22 AM »

It may unfortunately be a case of seeing what turns up on YouTube if it is not available to download.
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: October 18, 2011, 09:17:22 AM »

Will there be a 78rpm collector's edition of the box set?

Evil

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 18, 2011, 09:30:16 AM »

Will there be a 78rpm collector's edition of the box set?

Evil

That would be a cool addition to the collection! I hope they make them rugged enough as to be playable on 78 jukeboxes

Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 18, 2011, 06:00:02 PM »

Just buy all of the Smile sets and you'll have everything! What the hell's the problem? Extremely tight budget where you won't have enough to eat or pay the bills? What's more important to you? Otherwise, what's the use of speculating? If you're a real collector, you'll spring for all of 'em!

'Cept for the one with the surfboard and the other one with the light - other than that, no excuses not to have the others whether it be CD, vinyl, USB stick, cardboard, stone, whatever the hell it's made out of!

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
FatherOfTheMan Sr101
Smiley Smile Associate

I made a game

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 18, 2011, 06:03:11 PM »

It may unfortunately be a case of seeing what turns up on YouTube if it is not available to download.

I'll do a needle drop after Christmas, well, your well, your welcome everyone :D

Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 18, 2011, 10:06:06 PM »

There will be needle drops available within 1 week after the vinyl is released (November 1). Mp3's and Flac files - take your pick. If you want them on a CD, convert them to .wav files and you can play them on any CD player.

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
Jason
« Reply #20 on: October 18, 2011, 10:09:21 PM »

You mean trendies actually play their vinyl? I thought they were under the impression that people never listened to vinyl records and only hoarded them as pieces of an art gallery!
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: October 18, 2011, 10:54:09 PM »

So, I imagine this information is available here already, but I can't figure out where, exactly:

Tho I probably won't bother actually listening to most of this set/the different versions, I'd still like to know what  differences there are between the various products being made available, so I know what to buy for "the collection".
 Are the 2-LP and 2-CD versions different in any way from the same discs included in the box set? Are there bonus items included with any of the various sets, that aren't part of the others?
 Are there more versions than just the Box, the 2-LP or the 2-CD? Are there to be bonus cuts available only thru retailers? ( If so, which?)
 And I don't mean the Surfboard or Lighted versions, or care about them.( unless I win the lottery, in which case I'd buy them all )
Yes, I only follow this stuff with a minimal interest. For the 40+/- years I've waited for this to see the light of day, I've never bothered with my own mix, nor even listened to most of the ones I do have( sorry, Rev)
But I do collect.

Thanxx to anyone that can help

Track listings for all physical formats have been available since August 30th (excepting the hidden tracks on the box, which were revealed last week). I propose that someone's not trying hard enough, as my father used to say.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Bud Shaver
Smiley Smile Associate

Let Us Go On This Way

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 18, 2011, 11:26:11 PM »

http://www.mediafire.com/?h59eb58nucgfe15

This is the file you're looking for.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2011, 11:31:23 PM by Bud Shaver » Logged
roll plymouth rock
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: October 19, 2011, 11:07:23 AM »

Confusing isn't i?  Sad

I'm hoping that's not the Frank Holmes original booklet/Boys in winter photoshoot/pics of each guy that were originally intended to be the gatefold art. It would be kinda lame to not put that in the box edition of Smile

hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 19, 2011, 11:21:05 AM »

That's in the box - check the video.

gfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx