gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
681102 Posts in 27629 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims May 23, 2024, 02:10:17 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Smile Sessions reviews anyone?!  (Read 27426 times)
absinthe_boy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: October 19, 2011, 01:33:10 PM »

Mark Linnett seems to have been on an HDCD hobbyhorse since BWPS, as the Classics and Summer Love Songs discs are both HDCDs. I was hoping he'd left it behind for Smile, but it seems not....

The best domestic digital format ever unleashed was/is DVD-Audio but sadly it didn't catch on.
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

I WILL NEVER GO TO SCHOOL

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: October 19, 2011, 01:45:49 PM »

Mark Linnett seems to have been on an HDCD hobbyhorse since BWPS, as the Classics and Summer Love Songs discs are both HDCDs. I was hoping he'd left it behind for Smile, but it seems not....

The best domestic digital format ever unleashed was/is DVD-Audio but sadly it didn't catch on.

People are too obsessed with iPods and such now. Digital music, lossy formats etc. definitely have their place, I use them often, but I'm not a fan of how people as a whole are going backwards in terms of quality. Between this and the loudness war, people who even expect reasonable sound quality are let down too often Sad

Tell me it's okay.
Tell me you still love me.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
FatherOfTheMan Sr101
Smiley Smile Associate

I made a game

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: October 19, 2011, 01:48:15 PM »

My iPod's Volume Limit Is Set To 50%, so that's as high as the "Volume War" Gets for me!

hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: October 19, 2011, 05:15:43 PM »

Mate, you must live in the woods or something. How do you even hear your music?

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: October 19, 2011, 05:19:13 PM »

He must have those "Beats By Dre"

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
FatherOfTheMan Sr101
Smiley Smile Associate

I made a game

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: October 19, 2011, 05:41:14 PM »

I have perfect hearing, but I actually have some kind of ear-muscle disorder where they don't tighten all the way, so I hear even louder.

Disney Boy (1985)
« Reply #56 on: October 20, 2011, 03:12:14 AM »

A rather sniffy review in WORD magazine. Claims that SMiLE is of a lesser quality to Pet Sounds and the Beatles albums of the time. It also says that a lot of SMiLE is filler, or words to that effect, stating that apart from Wonderful and Surf's Up nothing else on SMiLE comes close to Good Vibrations and Heroes and Villains. Personally I think all of the above is garbage - SMiLE is infinitely superior to Sgt Pepper - but each to their own I suppose... Not a big fan of Word magazine anyway.
Looking forward to next issue of MOJO however. They're generally big supporters of Brian and the Beach Boys so hopefully SMiLE will get a cover, feature, interesting review, etc. 
John Stivaktas
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #57 on: October 20, 2011, 04:31:06 AM »

OK, my initial review:

It's really, really good. Except for "Teeter-Totter Love". Which sucks.

Ok, I'm convinced.

"It's more blessed to give than receive"

“For me, making music has always been a very spiritual thing, and I think anybody who produces records has to feel that, at least a little bit. Producing a record . . . the idea of taking a song, envisioning the overall sound in my head and then bringing the arrangement to life in the studio . . . well, that gives me satisfaction like nothing else.”

"Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man."
Iron Horse-Apples
« Reply #58 on: October 20, 2011, 04:34:18 AM »

I have perfect hearing, but I actually have some kind of ear-muscle disorder where they don't tighten all the way, so I hear even louder.

And there's your punk band name right there.
Mark H.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: October 20, 2011, 08:09:24 AM »

A rather sniffy review in WORD magazine. Claims that SMiLE is of a lesser quality to Pet Sounds and the Beatles albums of the time. It also says that a lot of SMiLE is filler, or words to that effect, stating that apart from Wonderful and Surf's Up nothing else on SMiLE comes close to Good Vibrations and Heroes and Villains. Personally I think all of the above is garbage - SMiLE is infinitely superior to Sgt Pepper - but each to their own I suppose... Not a big fan of Word magazine anyway.
Looking forward to next issue of MOJO however. They're generally big supporters of Brian and the Beach Boys so hopefully SMiLE will get a cover, feature, interesting review, etc. 

You may prefer SMilE but I can't say it's "infintely superior" to Pepper.  By virtue of the fact that Pepper was completed and released as a tramsformational work speaks for itself.

To the casual listener I can certainly see that much of SMiLE does sound like filler - there's lot's of vocals incomplete or missing entirely or relatively esoteric instrumental tracks.  When I listen to SMiLE - part of my brain is trying to fill in the missing links - non fans can't even begin to go there.  In the end, SMiLE garnered substantial mystique from being unreleased for so long - ironically it does live up to the hype.
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: October 20, 2011, 08:24:31 AM »

… ironically it does live up to the hype.

And therein lies much of the magic. That's why we're all still here, on this board.

Expect the Sunday papers in the UK will go a bundle on the album this weekend or next (hopefully next).

“We live in divisive times.”
Austin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: October 20, 2011, 08:32:12 AM »

Quote from: Disney Boy (1985)
It also says that a lot of SMiLE is filler, or words to that effect, stating that apart from Wonderful and Surf's Up nothing else on SMiLE comes close to Good Vibrations and Heroes and Villains.

Well, I wouldn't call it filler, but I don't think it's outrageous to say Wonderful, Surf's Up, Good Vibrations, and Heroes and Villains are the best songs on the album, and arguably the most accessible. I don't listen to anything else unless I'm listening to some version of the album in full.

That an incomplete approximation from a box set of sessions doesn't hold up against a finished and long-critically-acclaimed album is neither unfair nor surprising.
sidewinder572
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: October 20, 2011, 12:15:48 PM »

ok so far we've got 5/5 from Uncut and 9/10 from Classic Rock.

Average score do far 4.5/5

Oh Yeah!  Grin
egon spengler
« Reply #63 on: October 20, 2011, 12:28:53 PM »

It also says that a lot of SMiLE is filler, or words to that effect, stating that apart from Wonderful and Surf's Up nothing else on SMiLE comes close to Good Vibrations and Heroes and Villains.

Well, I wouldn't call it filler, but I don't think it's outrageous to say Wonderful, Surf's Up, Good Vibrations, and Heroes and Villains are the best songs on the album, and arguably the most accessible. I don't listen to anything else unless I'm listening to some version of the album in full.

That an incomplete approximation from a box set of sessions doesn't hold up against a finished and long-critically-acclaimed album is neither unfair nor surprising.

Not a fan of Cabin Essence? That's one of my go-to tracks without a doubt.
Austin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: October 20, 2011, 12:59:16 PM »

Quote from: egon spengler

I am, but it's just the same reason I don't play "Here Today" without listening to Pet Sounds -- great song, but I don't enjoy it as much standalone.

Here's a question. If Sgt. Pepper is the most critically-acclaimed album ever, why are so few of its tracks hits, or selections you'd find on a compilation? Some tracks just work better in a suite or sequence. I've always enjoyed the sum of Smile more than its parts.
pixletwin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: October 20, 2011, 01:07:07 PM »

Quote from: egon spengler

I am, but it's just the same reason I don't play "Here Today" without listening to Pet Sounds -- great song, but I don't enjoy it as much standalone.

Here's a question. If Sgt. Pepper is the most critically-acclaimed album ever, why are so few of its tracks hits, or selections you'd find on a compilation? Some tracks just work better in a suite or sequence. I've always enjoyed the sum of Smile more than its parts.

The Beatles didn't release any of the Pepper tracks as singles. That may be your answer.
FatherOfTheMan Sr101
Smiley Smile Associate

I made a game

View Profile
« Reply #66 on: October 20, 2011, 01:09:30 PM »

Yeah, the Beatles aren't cheap, they don't include singles on albums like even the almighty "Boys Of The Beach" did.

drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: October 20, 2011, 01:24:35 PM »

Yeah, the Beatles aren't cheap, they don't include singles on albums like even the almighty "Boys Of The Beach" did.
That's "Les Garcons De La Plage", and hits on an album is the American Capitol-istic Way. Wink
« Last Edit: October 20, 2011, 01:49:44 PM by drbeachboy » Logged

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
On Stage As It Is In Studio,
Give Us This Day, Our Shortenin' Bread
And Forgive Us Our Bootlegs,
As We Also Have Forgiven Our Wife And Managers,
And Lead Us Not Into Kokomo,
But Deliver Us From Mike Love.
Amen.  ---hypehat
Austin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #68 on: October 20, 2011, 01:30:41 PM »

Quote from: pixletwin
The Beatles didn't release any of the Pepper tracks as singles. That may be your answer.

Sure, but many Beatles compilations have album tracks on them.
Bicyclerider
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #69 on: October 20, 2011, 01:58:32 PM »

I agree - to me Cabinessence is one of the only tracks that completely fulfills the promise of Smile - weird Americana with strange instruments, different sections, the mysterious Truck Drivin' Man, the melodic beauty of Grand Coulee which then merges into the Iron Horse - it's innovative, brilliant, funny ("doing doing") and strange, all at the same time.

Heroes, much as I've grown to like it, was always a let down after the big build up as the followup to GV.
Freddie French-Pounce
Smiley Smile Associate

A.K.A. mrmoustachioto

View Profile
« Reply #70 on: October 21, 2011, 06:39:18 AM »

I find it dunny how the artwork used in Classic Rock is the Purple Chick one, with the purple 'Full Dimentional Stereo' LOL

Check out the Mono/Stereo Mix Breakdown podcast Mixology here: https://mixology.podbean.com/
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

I WILL NEVER GO TO SCHOOL

View Profile
« Reply #71 on: October 21, 2011, 09:36:21 AM »

"Cabinessence" rarely gets the praise it deserves. Sad

Tell me it's okay.
Tell me you still love me.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
Jimmie_R
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #72 on: October 26, 2011, 02:09:37 PM »

http://www.examiner.com/beach-boys-in-national/the-beach-boys-smile-review
homeontherange
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #73 on: October 26, 2011, 02:21:16 PM »

http://theorangepress.net/2011/10/review-beach-boys-%E2%80%93-the-smile-sessions/?utm_source=rss&utm_medium=rss&utm_campaign=review-beach-boys-%25e2%2580%2593-the-smile-sessions
Wrightfan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #74 on: October 26, 2011, 02:22:22 PM »

I was actually debating recently whether to start with disc 5 or not. Think I will now and then move to 1-4.
gfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx