gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680813 Posts in 27616 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 25, 2024, 05:33:57 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Smile Sessions reviews anyone?!  (Read 27279 times)
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 12, 2011, 01:42:13 AM »

Mark Linnett seems to have been on an HDCD hobbyhorse since BWPS, as the Classics and Summer Love Songs discs are both HDCDs. I was hoping he'd left it behind for Smile, but it seems not....

Much earlier… the PS box was HDCD as were the second batch of two-fers (but not, apparently, the 70s/80s Brother two-fers {which I don't think Mark remastered}, Endless Harmony or Hawthorne CA).

“We live in divisive times.”
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

I WILL NEVER GO TO SCHOOL

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 12, 2011, 03:36:40 AM »

Very interesting, actually the Tone Audio article. One thing bothers me though.

'...in preparation for HDCD...'  I guess many here won't know what that is. HDCD was a system invented about 15-20 years ago by Pacific Microsonics to increase the available resolution on a CD from 16 to 20 bits. In order to make this work, a decoder circuit needs to be designed into the CD player. Compatability is ensured so that HDCDs will play on a non-HDCD player.

However -
a) there are now hardly any HDCD players available worldwide (after a flurry about 10 years ago), and
b) in my (humble) experience, HDCD-encoded discs played on a 'normal' (non-HDCD) player tend to sound worse than an ordinary CD (subjective, but technical reason = more digital noise caused by the wider bandwidth).

Mark Linnett seems to have been on an HDCD hobbyhorse since BWPS, as the Classics and Summer Love Songs discs are both HDCDs. I was hoping he'd left it behind for Smile, but it seems not....

As long as we see it released alongside a standard 16 bit CD, I don't see the problem.

Alternately, go the 24 bit lossless files on a special (!) flash drive route ala the Beatles box set. imo.

Tell me it's okay.
Tell me you still love me.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
chris.metcalfe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 13, 2011, 12:16:28 AM »

As long as we see it released alongside a standard 16 bit CD, I don't see the problem.

Alternately, go the 24 bit lossless files on a special (!) flash drive route ala the Beatles box set. imo.

You've misunderstood - the point about HDCD is that it's additional data encoded onto the CD, not an alternative format.
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 13, 2011, 12:36:31 AM »

You've misunderstood - the point about HDCD is that it's additional data encoded onto the CD, not an alternative format.

AH BALLZ *tries to break MP3 over his desk*

Tell me it's okay.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
Iron Horse-Apples
« Reply #29 on: October 13, 2011, 01:24:12 AM »

Very interesting, actually the Tone Audio article. One thing bothers me though.

'...in preparation for HDCD...'  I guess many here won't know what that is. HDCD was a system invented about 15-20 years ago by Pacific Microsonics to increase the available resolution on a CD from 16 to 20 bits. In order to make this work, a decoder circuit needs to be designed into the CD player. Compatability is ensured so that HDCDs will play on a non-HDCD player.

However -
a) there are now hardly any HDCD players available worldwide (after a flurry about 10 years ago), and
b) in my (humble) experience, HDCD-encoded discs played on a 'normal' (non-HDCD) player tend to sound worse than an ordinary CD (subjective, but technical reason = more digital noise caused by the wider bandwidth).

I want 32 bit floating point and nothing else.
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: October 13, 2011, 01:38:33 AM »

Blu-Ray…  I see Jethro Tull are getting on board the Blu-Ray bus.

“We live in divisive times.”
Jimmie_R
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 13, 2011, 01:40:59 AM »

I want the whole BB cataloge in DTS 5.1 sound on blu-ray!  Grin 3D
Myk Luhv
Smiley Smile Associate

"...and I said, 'Oatmeal? Are you crazy?!'"

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 13, 2011, 05:38:37 PM »

I want their entire catalogue in raw PCM format. Come on Linett!
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 13, 2011, 05:39:21 PM »

I guess we can expect The Guardians review soon

alexispetridis Alexis Petridis (twitter)

Oh wonderful - what could be more fun that reviewing a five CD box set via an online stream? That's bound to be a fun-filled few hours.

Still, I get the need for high security around a Beach Boys' Smile box. It's not like it's been repeatedly bootlegged FOR 40 SODDING YEARS.

*continues moaning* Y'know, without the high level security, bootlegs of it might end up all over the internet (links to google search of smile bootleg)

Alexis is bit of an idiot but I'm very interested in his review

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 19, 2011, 10:37:18 AM »

Classic Rock review is out

9/10

"Featuring five CDs, double vinyl, two seven-inch singles and a book, it couldn't be any more comprehensive - there are 25 variations, out-takes and snippets of Good Vibrations alone. Elsewhere Surf's Up is the type of pure golden Californian pop that would be ubiquitous in so many hit singer-songwriters of the 70s, while Vega-tables and Do You Like Worms? display a surreal sense of humour offset by haunting melodies that manage to recall both Spector and Mozart. Every home should have one."

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 19, 2011, 10:54:06 AM »

Classic Rock review is out

9/10

"Featuring five CDs, double vinyl, two seven-inch singles and a book, it couldn't be any more comprehensive - there are 25 variations, out-takes and snippets of Good Vibrations alone. Elsewhere Surf's Up is the type of pure golden Californian pop that would be ubiquitous in so many hit singer-songwriters of the 70s, while Vega-tables and Do You Like Worms? display a surreal sense of humour offset by haunting melodies that manage to recall both Spector and Mozart. Every home should have one."
Great review, can't wait for the box to come and listen to it myself!

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 19, 2011, 10:54:47 AM »

"Every home should have one!"

One for the boxset sticker, imo  Grin

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
buddhahat
Smiley Smile Associate

Hi, my name's Doug. Would you like to dance?

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 19, 2011, 11:46:31 AM »

Thanks for posting the classic rock review, slim shady - great stuff. Also looking forward to Petridis' review - Ejjoyed his bw interview recently. Let's hope the frustrations of the secure stream don't cloud his judgement!

Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes ......
TV Forces
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: October 19, 2011, 12:02:31 PM »

How is that a great review?  It's three sentences.
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: October 19, 2011, 12:09:27 PM »

And yet it's more informative and intelligent than the one page blurb in last month's Rolling Stone.

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: October 19, 2011, 12:10:45 PM »

"Every home should have one."

Tell me it's okay.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #41 on: October 19, 2011, 12:11:32 PM »

OK, my initial review:

It's really, really good. Except for "Teeter-Totter Love". Which sucks.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: October 19, 2011, 01:05:03 PM »

How is that a great review?  It's three sentences.

And yet it's more informative and intelligent than the one page blurb in last month's Rolling Stone.
The review said it had 25 variations, outakes, and snippits of good vibrations, which is amazing.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2011, 01:06:48 PM by SMiLE Brian » Logged

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
monicker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: October 19, 2011, 01:09:06 PM »

One of the things i am sincerely looking forward to the most is Teeter Totter Love. Every single aghast description of it almost guarantees that it's going to be good. The description of it in the Leila post was amazing. No, i'm not joking.

Don't be eccentric, this is a BEACH BOYS forum, for God's sake!
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #44 on: October 19, 2011, 01:10:07 PM »

The review said it had 25 variations, outakes, and snippits of good vibrations, which is amazing.

Utterly amazing ! I mean, that's EXACTLY the same number as the track listing released over a month ago (plus hidden track) !!! WHOA !!!

Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #45 on: October 19, 2011, 01:12:15 PM »

One of the things i am sincerely looking forward to the most is Teeter Totter Love. Every single aghast description of it almost guarantees that it's going to be good. The description of it in the Leila post was amazing. No, i'm not joking.

Seriously, it's fucking horrible. Wild Man Fischer would be embarrassed...

runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: October 19, 2011, 01:13:44 PM »

Utterly amazing ! I mean, that's EXACTLY the same number as the track listing released over a month ago (plus hidden track) !!! WHOA !!!

Oh, be nice.

Tell me it's okay.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: October 19, 2011, 01:14:22 PM »

I know the track listing said that a month ago, I am just excited like crazy and a general great mood right now with the box set release date so close. Smiley
« Last Edit: October 19, 2011, 01:16:44 PM by SMiLE Brian » Logged

Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #48 on: October 19, 2011, 01:16:53 PM »

Oh, be nice.

Remember who you're entreating.  Grin

monicker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: October 19, 2011, 01:26:49 PM »

Seriously, it's friggin' horrible. Wild Man Fischer would be embarrassed...

Seriously, that sounds great. My heart is bursting with excitement and i'm really, really glad--even without hearing it--that it wasn't vetoed for inclusion on the box. That honestly gives me hope for many things in life.

Don't be eccentric, this is a BEACH BOYS forum, for God's sake!
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx