gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680598 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 05:23:34 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 12 13 ... 16 Go Down Print
Author Topic: New studio album (Ocean Way sessions)  (Read 119177 times)
Austin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #175 on: October 11, 2011, 07:33:16 AM »

Personally, I would be much more interested in seeing an album of completely-new recordings, even if the songs themselves were not new, than a mishmash of recordings taken over the last twenty or thirty years. I think older, flown-in, overdubbed, or otherwise multi-decade recordings need to be relegated to a respectfully-done archival release.
donald
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #176 on: October 11, 2011, 07:49:59 AM »

There is one recent Brian Wilson song that was made for The Beach Boys.  Despite being released by Brian; The Beach Boys should record and release "Desert Drive".  They should simply use the backing track with Mike adding his lead vocal and the rest of the group supplying background vocals.

It would be absolutely fantastic.

Desert Drive would be a good one for the group to cover.  Also, this one was especially good live when the BW Band did it.  It has more raw  punch, along the lines of Do It Again performed live.  Mike and Brian could trade lead lines. 

Regardless of the outcome on a new release, this thread clearly shows the possibilities of putting together an enjoyable 50th anniv. release.   
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #177 on: October 11, 2011, 08:06:09 AM »

Have Brian write some tunes like 'What Love Can Do', 'Good Kind Of Love', add in an instrumental or two (Something like 'In My Moondreams' perhaps). Record the album Wall-of-Sound style, master it in mono, and people WILL know this is the Beach Boys.

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #178 on: October 11, 2011, 08:07:13 AM »

'Flown in' has become sort of a catchphrase around here. It's contagious. I feel flown in. Early this morning I was flown in. Whilst working on a text, all sorts of ideas were flown into my head. Tonight I'll be flown into sleep. But only after a good dinner has been flown into my mouth.

Help!

80% Of Success Is Showing Up
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #179 on: October 11, 2011, 08:08:41 AM »

Have Brian write some tunes like 'What Love Can Do', 'Good Kind Of Love', add in an instrumental or two (Something like 'In My Moondreams' perhaps). Record the album Wall-of-Sound style, master it in mono, and people WILL know this is the Beach Boys.
Heck get Hal Blaine and Carol Kaye in there with what remains of the now elderly wrecking crew for the wall of sound. Afro
« Last Edit: October 11, 2011, 08:09:56 AM by SMiLE Brian » Logged

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #180 on: October 11, 2011, 08:12:28 AM »

Rock!

Indeed! Imagine Hal Blaine rockin' out California Girls style! I wonder if this is at all possible....

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #181 on: October 11, 2011, 08:13:11 AM »

To be honest I'd much rather have them NOT use Denny or Carl vocals unless they can truly come up with some really cool way to do it.  Just to hear a new version, with hacked in vocals from "soul searchin' or 'desert drive' which have already been booted, plus already been released by Brian?  I'd much, much, much rather here new material without Carl or Dennis.  They're gone, let them be gone.

Much more tasteful, I think, would be a song about Carl or Dennis, or both.  Maybe you could write a tasteful, sad but upbeat song about them and have it fade into some studio chatter from them or something from an interview, or something.  Soul Searchin' and Desert Drive aren't really even all that good.  
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #182 on: October 11, 2011, 08:21:28 AM »

To be honest I'd much rather have them NOT use Denny or Carl vocals unless they can truly come up with some really cool way to do it.  Just to hear a new version, with hacked in vocals from "soul searchin' or 'desert drive' which have already been booted, plus already been released by Brian?  I'd much, much, much rather here new material without Carl or Dennis.  They're gone, let them be gone.

Much more tasteful, I think, would be a song about Carl or Dennis, or both.  Maybe you could write a tasteful, sad but upbeat song about them and have it fade into some studio chatter from them or something from an interview, or something.  Soul Searchin' and Desert Drive aren't really even all that good.  

Agree 100%. And honestly, I didn't like 'Don't Fight The Sea' all that much either. They have the potential to make a GREAT album here - using mediocre songs just because they have vintage Dennis/Carl vocals on them will not make for a great album.

Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #183 on: October 11, 2011, 08:22:35 AM »

Wanted to add, too: of course everybody points at Real Love and Free As A Bird, those were great songs but the only reason they worked was 1. they were really well written, and 2. JOHN SOUNDED DEAD on the demos!  If you listen to those songs, John comes into the song sounding like a voice from beyond the grave.

Anybody in a big hurry to hear Carl like that?  I know I'm not.  Otherwise, you have "Soul Searchin" which Brian already did and I'm not too fond of.  
Jimmie_R
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #184 on: October 11, 2011, 08:32:42 AM »

There is one recent Brian Wilson song that was made for The Beach Boys.  Despite being released by Brian; The Beach Boys should record and release "Desert Drive".  They should simply use the backing track with Mike adding his lead vocal and the rest of the group supplying background vocals.

It would be absolutely fantastic.

yeah! First time I heard that one it made me think of early 60s BB.
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #185 on: October 11, 2011, 08:45:03 AM »

I thought Free As A Bird and Real Love were both very well done, in spite of the fact that they used John's demos which weren't quite sonically equal to the new over-dubbed vocals. In fact, that's exactly what I was thinking about when I proposed that they take existing tracks with Carl's and/or Dennis' vocals and make one or two 'new' Beach Boys recordings. It could work well, as it did for the two Beatles Anthology tracks. By the way, The Beatles did one more that wasn't used, I believe.

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
MJP
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #186 on: October 11, 2011, 09:05:09 AM »

I've loved Real Love from the minute I heard it at the end of episode 2 of Anthology.  Even more so now.  Go to Youtube and you'll hear a version with a slightly lower pitch more in line with John's voice. 

That said, can you imagine Nothing But Love with BB's vocals?
Quzi
Smiley Smile Associate

Eagerly awaiting tHe BeDRoOM TaPES

View Profile
« Reply #187 on: October 11, 2011, 09:06:13 AM »

Am I the only one here who's not a fan of Rick Rubin  Huh

"A/S/L"?
"Age:24. That's when Brian Wilson made Pet Sounds. Sex: Brian Wilson was having loads of sex with Marilyn when he made Pet Sounds. Location: Gold Star Studios, where Brian Wilson assembled with the Wrecking Crew to make Pet Sounds. Hbu?"
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #188 on: October 11, 2011, 09:18:45 AM »

With all this talk of new recordings going on, do The Beach Boys have a recording contract yet to release a new album?

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
On Stage As It Is In Studio,
Give Us This Day, Our Shortenin' Bread
And Forgive Us Our Bootlegs,
As We Also Have Forgiven Our Wife And Managers,
And Lead Us Not Into Kokomo,
But Deliver Us From Mike Love.
Amen.  ---hypehat
doc smiley
Smiley Smile Associate

Timeless pounds the livin' daylights outta trendy

View Profile
« Reply #189 on: October 11, 2011, 09:52:04 AM »

dread that statement "trade leads".....

worst part of BB's sound since the late 70's was the trading of leads on almost every song...
how about this for a pleasant change... a lead vocalist ( one per song) and excellent backing vocals

Cheesy

"A voice or a song can be so comforting to someone who really needs it."
..................................Brian Wilson, 1990
Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #190 on: October 11, 2011, 10:14:59 AM »

I like trading leads, not to the extreme of something like Somewhere Near Japan (which is a good song, don't get me wrong), but something like Santa Ana Winds where Al sings most of the verse and then Mike sings the last line, group chorus, Carl sings response vocals in the last chorus... that's what elevated that song from good to great in my opinion. I got into the Beach Boys because I love the fact that they all sing, everyone has a line, and for me that's what's really lacking in Brian's solo career.

And speaking of Brian's solo career, why are you all suggesting GIOMH rerecords? I thought everyone hated that album! (although this fits into my theory that Brian solo songs + Beach Boy vocals = gold. but I still think they should have new songs, songs we've never heard before.)

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
Runaways
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #191 on: October 11, 2011, 10:18:04 AM »

i'm big on the trade leads post pet sounds.  i dig it
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #192 on: October 11, 2011, 10:33:50 AM »

And speaking of Brian's solo career, why are you all suggesting GIOMH rerecords? I thought everyone hated that album! (although this fits into my theory that Brian solo songs + Beach Boy vocals = gold. but I still think they should have new songs, songs we've never heard before.)

I don't get it either - Not only is the album rubbish, but it'd look awful to re-record songs that have already been released on a BW solo album. By all means they should go for Paley session tunes if they're looking for old stuff to record, but not the stuff already released!

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
Iron Horse-Apples
« Reply #193 on: October 11, 2011, 10:35:00 AM »

'Flown in' has become sort of a catchphrase around here. It's contagious. I feel flown in. Early this morning I was flown in. Whilst working on a text, all sorts of ideas were flown into my head. Tonight I'll be flown into sleep. But only after a good dinner has been flown into my mouth.

Help!

Yes, that and "time-streeeeetching artifacts"

But Don, it's always fun when you fly in, and so sad when you go.

SMiLE everyone, anyone?
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #194 on: October 11, 2011, 10:48:02 AM »

SMiLE everyone, anyone?

Nah, burnt out on Smile. That's why it's refreshing to have a thread here with different subject matter for a change.

New album, anyone?

I'd love for them to pull down a couple of Wilson/Paley or Wilson/Usher tracks from the past. Or even a Sweet Insanity track that hasn't seen the light of day. I think they have plenty of Wilson-written tracks that can be used to do a Beach Boys album.

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #195 on: October 11, 2011, 11:31:42 AM »

Marketplace. That would be cool.

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #196 on: October 11, 2011, 11:53:50 AM »

Here's the album.

The Beach Boys - The Ocean Way Sessions

Do It Again 2011
Soul Searchin'
You're Still A Mystery
Don't Fight the Sea
Desert Drive
This Isn't Love
California Feelin'
Waves of Love
Some Sweet Day
Chain Reaction of Love
Everything I Need
Wouldn't it Be Nice to Live Again

And you could add a few new ones in there if you liked. But this would be a seriously good album, if performed and produced with a modicum of care.
Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #197 on: October 11, 2011, 12:08:40 PM »

If I hear another rerecording of California Feelin' I'm probably gonna stop liking that song.

pixletwin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #198 on: October 11, 2011, 12:12:21 PM »

If I hear another rerecording of California Feelin' I'm probably gonna stop liking that song.

Unless it's the 1974 version.  Evil
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #199 on: October 11, 2011, 12:15:14 PM »

Gotta have at least one Brian unreleased solo song from the can and at least one Mike song from the can (from his unreleased 2004 solo album?) And one from Al's solo as noted above. And maybe one from Bruce. That way, there's no egos and everybody's happy.

And maybe an unreleased Beach Boys song. An early version of California Feelin' would work!

« Last Edit: October 11, 2011, 12:17:35 PM by Mikie » Logged

gfx
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 12 13 ... 16 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx