gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680598 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 06:04:49 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 11 12 ... 16 Go Down Print
Author Topic: New studio album (Ocean Way sessions)  (Read 119179 times)
donald
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #150 on: October 10, 2011, 12:49:20 PM »

While Elvis is on the table as a sub topic;

Any of you ever see that Elvis and Nixon mocumentary that was made back in the 90's?   It is running on premium cable somewhere right now (in the states) and I saw it just the other day for the 1st time.   Its a real hoot, a lot of fun.  Catch it if you can.
Sound of Free
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #151 on: October 10, 2011, 12:59:36 PM »

Getting back on topic – what a thought  Smiley – I think it HAS to have Carl and Dennis on it. Could this FINALLY be the time that "Wouldn't it Be Nice To Libve Again" sees the light of day?

After the POB reissue and the inclusion of "Fallin' in Love" on the last BB comp, it seems like they could still ride the Dennis wave and put out this track that everyone says is a killer.
STE
Smiley Smile Associate

"I'm not on top like I used to be"

View Profile
« Reply #152 on: October 10, 2011, 01:13:32 PM »

http://twitter.com/#!/RadioVendetta

Check the September 29th tweets.
Seems like the 'an unavoidable studio situation in Los Angeles' Brian was referring to, and the reason that some dates were cancelled has an answer.

Bathroom at oceanway studios in LA. Listening to new Beach Boys WITH Brian Wilson.

Ocean Way studios with Brian Wilson. New record is AMAZING. Beach Boys wrote the book.

I understood it as "Listening to (a) new Beach Boys (recording) WITH Brian Wilson (on the recording).", meaning the new Do It Again.

Awesoman
Smiley Smile Associate

Disagreements? Work 'em out.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #153 on: October 10, 2011, 01:51:30 PM »

Ok I'm open to compromise here:

While I stick my nose up at a new album of new material, if they were to put out another release similar to that of Endless Harmony and Hawthorne, CA and include a few new tracks on it (similar to "Loop de Loop"), I could get on board with that.  A release like this fleshed out in box set format would be the perfect way to celebrate their 50th. 

And if you don't know where you're going
Any road will take you there
Autotune
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #154 on: October 10, 2011, 02:33:39 PM »

Getting back on topic – what a thought  Smiley – I think it HAS to have Carl and Dennis on it. Could this FINALLY be the time that "Wouldn't it Be Nice To Libve Again" sees the light of day?

After the POB reissue and the inclusion of "Fallin' in Love" on the last BB comp, it seems like they could still ride the Dennis wave and put out this track that everyone says is a killer.

They could use the 1996 sessions with Carl, of course. But keep in mind that he walked out of them

"His lyrical ability has never been touched by anyone, except for Mike Love."

-Brian Wilson on Van Dyke Parks (2015)
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #155 on: October 10, 2011, 02:55:21 PM »

http://twitter.com/#!/RadioVendetta

Check the September 29th tweets.
Seems like the 'an unavoidable studio situation in Los Angeles' Brian was referring to, and the reason that some dates were cancelled has an answer.

Bathroom at oceanway studios in LA. Listening to new Beach Boys WITH Brian Wilson.

Ocean Way studios with Brian Wilson. New record is AMAZING. Beach Boys wrote the book.

I understood it as "Listening to (a) new Beach Boys (recording) WITH Brian Wilson (on the recording).", meaning the new Do It Again.

But since there was a picture of him with Brian (probably in the studio) it could also mean WITH Brian. Of course, maybe that picture was taken at another occasion.

I think it HAS to have Carl and Dennis on it. Could this FINALLY be the time that "Wouldn't it Be Nice To Libve Again" sees the light of day?

I'd love to have some vintage recordings of Dennis and Carl on there too. I think in Carl's case it's not that hard, because he was recording 'til at least '96 and there are a few songs that were mentioned that have his voice on it.
Stuff with Carl that we know of:

Soul Searchin' (released but I don't think anyone would've a problem with a pure Beach Boys version)
You're still a mystery
Dancin' the night away
Don't fight the sea (released on Al's album but also as a Beach Boys-single....kinda)
Waves of love

Thanks to Christian for this:

Larry Dvoskin: "In early 90's when Carl Wilson was still alive, there was exploration into reuniting the group & Brian and recording a new album with producer Don Was.
I went to Al's glorious ranch and we wrote and demo'd a bunch of songs="Waves Of Love", "Good Good Feelings", "Wish", "Jennifer Clover" (named after Al's cow and co-written with his wonderful wife- Mary Ann Jardine).
At that time- Al's eldest son "Matt Jardine" was touring with the band replacing Brian Wilson's voice by singing all those really high falsetto notes.
So Al, Matt, Carl Wilson, and maybe Bruce I recall- at one point recorded a bunch of songs...which are unreleased yet, but are really high quality songs."

So Carl might as well be on the other three songs mentioned here. I don't know how much recording Carl did on his own but maybe there are things. I heard he wanted his "Run don't walk" for the Beach Boys album but then recorded it with Beckley-Lamm for the "Like a brother" album (not sure about that though). New backing vocals for "I wish for you" to Carl's lead would be very emotional but the idea to take the released material and re-work it doesn't click that well with me mostly.

Dennis would be harder I guess. They probably could use one of his songs. Mike did 10,000 years ago for his album and he co-wroe that with Dennis iirc. But I don't think a finished recording like "Wouldn't it ....." would work well. You'd have one track from the 70s and the rest new or newly recorded material. That wouldn't sound coherent. I don't know what's in the vaults but if they use one of Dennis' tunes with his voice, it should be something they can add backing vocals to. Unfortunately "I've gt a friend" has no leadvocals afaik. Would be great if Dennis could shine with such a great song. Maybe it would even inspire Brian and the guys to work harder so their material doesn't sink in comparison.

Lord, there's so much potential that I'm really afraid now that it'll turn out to be Stars&Stripes just without guests.

They could use the 1996 sessions with Carl, of course. But keep in mind that he walked out of them

Yes, but was it because he didn't like the material or because of something else ?
« Last Edit: October 10, 2011, 03:08:21 PM by Rocker » Logged

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
roll plymouth rock
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #156 on: October 10, 2011, 03:07:03 PM »

I've been exchanging some DM's with this guy on twitter and I'm happy to announce that these sessions were for some work on the long awaited Stars & Stripes Vol. 2  Shocked

Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #157 on: October 10, 2011, 03:11:48 PM »

I've been exchanging some DM's with this guy on twitter and I'm happy to announce that these sessions were for some work on the long awaited Stars & Stripes Vol. 2  Shocked

Now, don't be so rude. I almost threw up. Nobody waited for it and nobody ever will
« Last Edit: October 10, 2011, 03:12:42 PM by Rocker » Logged

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #158 on: October 10, 2011, 03:14:47 PM »

I've been exchanging some DM's with this guy on twitter and I'm happy to announce that these sessions were for some work on the long awaited Stars & Stripes Vol. 2  Shocked
What???, this cannot be true. I will go crazy like 1974-1975 Brian Wilson if this is true. I better get my bathrobe out of the closet and change my profile name back to Briansbathrobe. Huh
« Last Edit: October 10, 2011, 03:16:40 PM by SMiLE Brian » Logged

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #159 on: October 10, 2011, 03:19:23 PM »

What???, this cannot be true. I will go crazy like 1974-1975 Brian Wilson if this is true. I better get my bathrobe out of the closet and change my profile name back to Briansbathrobe. Huh

I think Roll Plymouth Rock was just trying to put us on. Brian wrote new songs that Mike has heard (he talked about them, so he must've heard them). Brian recorded stuff. They couldn't get enough guests in such a short while to record with them.

- Jack Rieley
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #160 on: October 10, 2011, 03:29:17 PM »

I think Roll Plymouth Rock was just trying to put us on. Brian wrote new songs that Mike has heard (he talked about them, so he must've heard them). Brian recorded stuff. They couldn't get enough guests in such a short while to record with them.
Your right, kinda overreacted to the sheer thought of another beach boys country album LOL

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
joshferrell
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #161 on: October 10, 2011, 03:30:08 PM »

I've been exchanging some DM's with this guy on twitter and I'm happy to announce that these sessions were for some work on the long awaited Stars & Stripes Vol. 2  Shocked
nah that's not true....they went in to finish Mikes unreleased masterpiece "Country Love".. Grin Grin
Wylson
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #162 on: October 10, 2011, 03:39:29 PM »

personally I can do without Carl/Dennis cameos. I think their presence can be felt without digging out old vocals, which to me just add a twinge of sadness. i dont think its necessary and i dont think it would turn out well. Dennis has been dead 28 years, Carl 13 years - to be turning up on a new Beach Boys album just feels wrong to me, although i understand the sentiment.
stack-o-tracks
Smiley Smile Associate

The baker man

View Profile
« Reply #163 on: October 10, 2011, 03:58:58 PM »

I hope none of the songs are in the same vein as Its OK. Imagine 85 year old Mike Love singing about how fun is in. I shudder

No mas, por favor.
Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #164 on: October 10, 2011, 04:22:54 PM »

I think he's closer to 70.

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
Autotune
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #165 on: October 10, 2011, 04:29:41 PM »

To have an idea of the vocal blend these guys could produce, listen to Long Tall Texan from S&S. It's the guys minus Carl with Matt Jardine. Not bad, I think.

"His lyrical ability has never been touched by anyone, except for Mike Love."

-Brian Wilson on Van Dyke Parks (2015)
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #166 on: October 10, 2011, 05:13:36 PM »

Call me romantic, but it'd be nice if the guys could put one last quality album out. It'd be a sheer publicity grab however it ends up, but even if it's recordings of old 80's Brian or Paley tunes it'd be a success, considering what the group have done to themselves.

Even Brian distancing himself from the group is a negative thing, reinforcing the 'Brian is God' dynamic that is poisonous to the BB's critical standing.

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
oldsurferdude
« Reply #167 on: October 10, 2011, 08:21:59 PM »

Call me romantic, but it'd be nice if the guys could put one last quality album out. It'd be a sheer publicity grab however it ends up, but even if it's recordings of old 80's Brian or Paley tunes it'd be a success, considering what the group have done to themselves.

Even Brian distancing himself from the group is a negative thing, reinforcing the 'Brian is God' dynamic that is poisonous to the BB's critical standing.

"Critical standing"?What critical standing? Poisonous? So the guy wants to have a solo career, big whoop. Beats hangin' with Myke singing the oldies every night. These guys are into their 5th decade already-don't think it's gonna be a big deal either way. Their story is now etched in stone and one last album isn't going to make or break it.
Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #168 on: October 10, 2011, 09:59:47 PM »

So the guy wants to have a solo career, big whoop. Beats hangin' with Myke singing the oldies every night.

So instead he's hanging with Darian and Jeff and singing the oldies every night.

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
Jimmie_R
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #169 on: October 11, 2011, 04:28:36 AM »

It would be cool with a new BB album as long as Terry Melcher doesn´t produce! They should get some one like Rick Rubin to do it.
He made Johnny Cash´s albums sound fantastic to both an ageing and new audience!

Since Terry Melcher died in 2004 I don't think you have much to worry about.

Oh oups! I actually didn´t know that.. sorry  Undecided
oldsurferdude
« Reply #170 on: October 11, 2011, 05:51:20 AM »

So the guy wants to have a solo career, big whoop. Beats hangin' with Myke singing the oldies every night.

So instead he's hanging with Darian and Jeff and singing the oldies every night.
Maybe it was just me, but the last few times I saw him he was throwing in some things from his newer releases up to and including BWRG. Wink
acedecade75
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #171 on: October 11, 2011, 05:55:32 AM »

I think a lot of the time he's hanging with Darian and Jeff and letting JEFF sing the oldies every night. 
phirnis
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #172 on: October 11, 2011, 06:31:33 AM »

Rick Rubin would probably make the group sound too self-serious. Or maybe he'd make them sound like Slayer, who knows.
Jason
« Reply #173 on: October 11, 2011, 06:39:47 AM »

Rick Rubin would most likely challenge them a bit. Just like he did with Johnny Cash and Neil Diamond.
MJP
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #174 on: October 11, 2011, 07:15:25 AM »

There is one recent Brian Wilson song that was made for The Beach Boys.  Despite being released by Brian; The Beach Boys should record and release "Desert Drive".  They should simply use the backing track with Mike adding his lead vocal and the rest of the group supplying background vocals.

It would be absolutely fantastic.
gfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 11 12 ... 16 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx