gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680852 Posts in 27616 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 28, 2024, 04:02:27 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Uncut nov mag AGD in it & review too!!  (Read 11630 times)
puni puni
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: September 24, 2011, 02:47:19 PM »

nevermind!
« Last Edit: September 24, 2011, 03:32:18 PM by freshenin air » Logged
Chris Brown
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: September 24, 2011, 02:50:41 PM »

so was that children tag never recorded before '71??  i actually don't like the tag on 71 surfs up.  whatever purple chick used is my preferred

The 1971 tag is a completely new recording, but something very similar was taped in 1966/67.

Something most of us haven't heard before?

Aye, pray tell more… I'm at a loss.

Yeah maybe I'm missing something but I've never heard any tag attempt from the actual Smile sessions. Another big discovery headed our way?
puni puni
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: September 24, 2011, 02:54:53 PM »

nevermind!
« Last Edit: September 24, 2011, 03:32:25 PM by freshenin air » Logged
Chocolate Shake Man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: September 24, 2011, 03:07:40 PM »

I think if we don't accept that the BBs could still influence new, cool bands, we're giving up on the future. I mean, the Beach Boys incorporated other styles, including some that were a few decades old at the time. Why shouldn't performers do that today?

Performers can do what they want. But these bands basically work in the same genre as the Beach Boys. The Beach Boys were not still making the same kind of music that was being made in 1921 regardless of whether or not they nodded to them.
puni puni
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: September 24, 2011, 03:12:36 PM »

why are tributes to BW always done by insipid, young, fleeting hipster bands that are painfully dull and have no MUSICAL relation to BW, but only an empty stylistic "similarity"?
That CD pretty much proves why The Beach Boys are "hip" but also shows why that's no necessarily a good thing
bands like Grizzly Bear and Panda Bear don't come anywhere near but that's mostly because they are working in a genre that stopped being relevant over 30 years ago.
these bands basically work in the same genre as the Beach Boys.
what am i reading
Pearlfisher David
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: September 24, 2011, 03:16:41 PM »

LOL, music journalists.

Also, why are tributes to BW always done by insipid, young, fleeting hipster bands that are painfully dull and have no MUSICAL relation to BW, but only an empty stylistic "similarity"?

Monicker - I guess these insipid, young, fleeting hipster bands might love Brian Wilson and want to pay tribute to him, that's why! Or somebody asks them and they think 'that sounds like fun'. Or somebody else (usually a music journalist) decides they sound 'like the Beach Boys' (one of the first things they teach budding music journailsts in music journalist college is 'if in doubt say it sounds like The Beach Boys'). And of course you don't have to have any musical relation to BW to record his songs...

Some of those bands - whether you love them or their versions of BW or not - do have big constituencies (particularly Bon Iver) and will certainly pique even more interest in BW. Unbelievable to us here but not ALL the world shares our madness, even in the face of what we see as an epoch making release. And in the world of BW the community of fans and the community of musicians are possibly more closely linked than in other cases - look at the BW band - full of fans who ended up making a major contribution to the story of a great artist. So give poor wee Grizzly Bear and his cousin Panda Bear a break. And while you're at it make Bon Iver a cup of tea and tell him about The Beach Boys Love You.

As a fan of BW and an artist who wants to make beautiful things for the world I am thrilled as all get out to be a part of THIS cd at THIS time.

And also kind of up for being lumped in with the hipsters  Smokin
Chocolate Shake Man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: September 24, 2011, 03:28:49 PM »

what am i reading

It's true. The Sex Pistols showed us in 1977 that rock and roll was dead and it was time for the next movement. Why on earth are we supposed to pretend that bands that continue to try and find a patch of green grass in this well-trodden field are in any way doing anything interesting?
puni puni
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: September 24, 2011, 03:30:57 PM »

oh. i just found that still smiling thing. it's just a compilation, lame.

It's true. The Sex Pistols showed us in 1977 that rock and roll was dead and it was time for the next movement. Why on earth are we supposed to pretend that bands that continue to try and find a patch of green grass in this well-trodden field are in any way doing anything interesting?
8/10 you got me
SG7
« Reply #58 on: September 24, 2011, 06:07:15 PM »

I think if we don't accept that the BBs could still influence new, cool bands, we're giving up on the future. I mean, the Beach Boys incorporated other styles, including some that were a few decades old at the time. Why shouldn't performers do that today?

Amen!

The Demon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: September 24, 2011, 06:17:33 PM »

so was that children tag never recorded before '71??  i actually don't like the tag on 71 surfs up.  whatever purple chick used is my preferred

The 1971 tag is a completely new recording, but something very similar was taped in 1966/67.

Something most of us haven't heard before?

Aye, pray tell more… I'm at a loss.

Yeah maybe I'm missing something but I've never heard any tag attempt from the actual Smile sessions. Another big discovery headed our way?

"Session Excerpt."  No?  Maybe.
FatherOfTheMan Sr101
Smiley Smile Associate

I made a game

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: September 24, 2011, 06:35:01 PM »

I think I remember hearing somewhere that Brian solo attempted it... idk when...

Dunderhead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: September 24, 2011, 06:53:51 PM »

Wait, so like the Don't Talk Vocal Snippet? Why have I never heard about that before?

TEAM COHEN; OFFICIAL CAPTAIN (2013-)
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: September 24, 2011, 06:59:35 PM »

Same reason we never heard about the WH Surf's Up, I guess.... These are recent discoveries?

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

I WILL NEVER GO TO SCHOOL

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: September 24, 2011, 07:31:21 PM »

Far as I can tell as a quick glance it's the only five-star review in this month's issue.

A quote:  "some of rock's mot aristocratic wordplay ("surf's Up") with vocal harmonies so resplendent that ships should be named after them."

You read that right: "Vocal harmonies". Vocal harmonies.

Flown in from the 71 Child tag? Or something else?

I'm thinking flown in.

I'm going to guess when they took my YouTube Smile mixes down, thus causing my account to be terminated, they stole ideas from my "Surf's Up" mix. Mine was the best. Legit. They should just use my mix. They saved it when raiding YouTube for Smile material. I know it happened. I have the WAV mixdown. Just ask, guys. I know you're reading. Just ask.

Tell me it's okay.
Tell me you still love me.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
18thofMay
Smiley Smile Associate

Goin to the beach

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: September 24, 2011, 07:50:29 PM »

http://link.brightcove.com/services/player/bcpid846099570001?bckey=AQ~~,AAAAAFSLixw~,SLXXpBCZEOcTGMNMpaFwYMNSSmYrAjK6&bctid=1080469297001

This is cool I love Mr Finn

It’s like he hired a fashion consultant and told her to make him look “punchable.”
Some Guy, 2012
"Donald Trump makes Mike Love look like an asshole"
Me ,2015.
Runaways
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: September 24, 2011, 09:48:24 PM »

what does the purple chick use for the surfs up tag? i always thought that was a 67 recording.
Myk Luhv
Smiley Smile Associate

"...and I said, 'Oatmeal? Are you crazy?!'"

View Profile
« Reply #66 on: September 24, 2011, 09:52:47 PM »

I thought the piece about the history of Smile was more interesting than the review itself. It should have been longer and more detailed, although I suppose there's only so much you can say about five-discs-worth of sessions when you're trying to review a box set meant for people like us -- fans in the fullest sense of the word; the kind of people who post on a forum about the group in question! -- to what is presumably an audience of casual if not indifferent/ignorant BBs fans.
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: September 25, 2011, 01:17:36 AM »

LOL, music journalists.

Also, why are tributes to BW always done by insipid, young, fleeting hipster bands that are painfully dull and have no MUSICAL relation to BW, but only an empty stylistic "similarity"?

Monicker - I guess these insipid, young, fleeting hipster bands might love Brian Wilson and want to pay tribute to him, that's why! Or somebody asks them and they think 'that sounds like fun'. Or somebody else (usually a music journalist) decides they sound 'like the Beach Boys' (one of the first things they teach budding music journailsts in music journalist college is 'if in doubt say it sounds like The Beach Boys'). And of course you don't have to have any musical relation to BW to record his songs...

Some of those bands - whether you love them or their versions of BW or not - do have big constituencies (particularly Bon Iver) and will certainly pique even more interest in BW. Unbelievable to us here but not ALL the world shares our madness, even in the face of what we see as an epoch making release. And in the world of BW the community of fans and the community of musicians are possibly more closely linked than in other cases - look at the BW band - full of fans who ended up making a major contribution to the story of a great artist. So give poor wee Grizzly Bear and his cousin Panda Bear a break. And while you're at it make Bon Iver a cup of tea and tell him about The Beach Boys Love You.

As a fan of BW and an artist who wants to make beautiful things for the world I am thrilled as all get out to be a part of THIS cd at THIS time.

And also kind of up for being lumped in with the hipsters  Smokin

Great to see you on that CD Davie. Congrats!

“We live in divisive times.”
tansen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #68 on: October 03, 2011, 09:08:34 AM »

I agree with Fishmonk, the review itself was poor. The bootleg piece on the other hand was nothing but first rate.
Also I'm glad to see bands being influenced by BW, and 60s music in general, but I have to admit I think there are a lot of poor attempts out there.

Tansen - "He Who Commands an Army of Notes"
Boiled Egg
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #69 on: October 04, 2011, 04:48:24 PM »

explanation, please, andreas.
Runaways
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #70 on: October 04, 2011, 07:40:56 PM »

i think it means the tag of surf's up '71 was based on something recorded in '67.  again....does the purple chick use a different 71 take or a 67 recording.  anyone know?
Boiled Egg
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #71 on: October 05, 2011, 12:17:19 AM »

I meant (and didn't word it well) 'tell us more about 66/67'. News to me.
gfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx