gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680855 Posts in 27617 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 28, 2024, 04:42:46 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Uncut nov mag AGD in it & review too!!  (Read 11632 times)
letsmakeit31
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: September 24, 2011, 01:38:59 AM »

Just reading Uncut mag and it list the best bootlegs and guess which album is at no1 Smiley. Anyway in the written piece along side it it has lots of quotes from AGD and a link to his website too. Well done Andrew Smiley
« Last Edit: September 24, 2011, 02:14:01 AM by letsmakeit31 » Logged
letsmakeit31
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2011, 01:50:38 AM »

And a big review of the smile sessions box set too. Firsat one I've seen!! It given it 5 out of 5. Quote from this review "Do 24 Good Vibrations become repetitive? Less than you think". Highlights according to this review are Surf's up version 1967 CD1, Wonderful CD3, Wind Chimes CD4. Another quote "CD1 has an amazing new 8 mins montage of their vocals from various sessions"
« Last Edit: September 24, 2011, 02:13:20 AM by letsmakeit31 » Logged
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2011, 01:57:34 AM »

Your copy must be mighty different to mine - do you mean Uncut, the mag that makes Mojo look like Just17?

“We live in divisive times.”
letsmakeit31
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2011, 02:08:13 AM »

Your copy must be mighty different to mine - do you mean Uncut, the mag that makes Mojo look like Just17?
Uncut it is D'oh!!!!!! LOL
letsmakeit31
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2011, 02:15:12 AM »

My bad!! Just changed it from Mojo to Uncut LOL
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2011, 02:26:21 AM »

Should be pointed out in BIG LETTERS THAT UNCUT ALSO COMES WITH A FREE CD "STILL SMILING - A TRIBUTE TO THE GENIUS OF BRIAN WILSON".

Artists include Panda Bear, Grizzly Bear, Caribou, Volcano Choir with Bon Iver, The Pearlfishers and some young up and coming fella called Van Dyke Parks (track = Wall Street).

Fresh underwear please…
« Last Edit: September 24, 2011, 02:44:11 AM by John Manning » Logged

The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2011, 02:43:14 AM »

Far as I can tell as a quick glance it's the only five-star review in this month's issue.

A quote:  "some of rock's mot aristocratic wordplay ("surf's Up") with vocal harmonies so resplendent that ships should be named after them."

You read that right: "Vocal harmonies". Vocal harmonies.

Flown in from the 71 Child tag? Or something else?

hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2011, 04:15:40 AM »

Just pottered out to the shops and there's nothing in the Uncuts they have! I take it you two are subscribers and I'll have to wait a bit....

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2011, 04:19:56 AM »

Far as I can tell as a quick glance it's the only five-star review in this month's issue.

A quote:  "some of rock's mot aristocratic wordplay ("surf's Up") with vocal harmonies so resplendent that ships should be named after them."

I'm thinking flown in.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 24, 2011, 04:20:24 AM »

Aye, subscriber… unlikely that a mag will hit the shops Monday, Tuesday maybe, Thursday used to be the main day for mags to hit stores though.

letsmakeit31
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 24, 2011, 05:10:03 AM »

Got mine this morning great piece about Bootlegs as well as Smile review Smiley
Joshilyn Hoisington
Honored Guest

Aeijtzsche

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 24, 2011, 05:39:18 AM »

I'm not saying that this is the case here--but I have noticed that many rock journalists have no idea what harmony actually is.  It tends to be when reviewing bands with an slight Beach Boys influence, the reviewer will say something like "[this band] has Beach Boys-esque vocal harmonies," but when you listen to the disc there's one lead singer, and no vocal harmony (though often there is instrumental harmony...).  I wish I had saved some of these strange reviews.
Chocolate Shake Man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 24, 2011, 06:50:13 AM »

They could be referring to flown in vocals but the structure of the out-of-context sentence suggests to me that the "resplendent" vocal harmonies refers to the music as a whole, not just Surf's Up. The sentence is not "Surf's Up contains some of rock's most aristocratic wordplay with vocal harmonies so resplendent that ships should be named after them" and I think that distinction is crucial.
junkbondtrader
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 24, 2011, 07:03:54 AM »

Nothing is showing up on Uncuts website either. Do you think if I subscribe now that I will get that issue?
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 24, 2011, 07:08:44 AM »

In context, paragraph verbatim – brackets and itals are the reviewer's, not mine:

"Greet the morning, sunny side up ("Im In Great Shape"), rustle up some breakfast ("eggs and grits and lickety-split"), and sally forth, hat tilted at a carefree angle. This isn't the hip 1966 humour of Lenny Bruce; it's the broad, big boned comedy of Oliver Hardy. Laughter breaks out in the cantina. A red-faced man throws away a candy bar and eats the wrapper. A swanee whistle – the whoopee cushion of musical instruments – romps goofily alongside fruity clarinets and marimbas. Smile was envisaged as an LP that would make the population grin; but it was also an odyssey on a vast scale – a journey both coast-to-coast and backwards in time – so you might meet a widower talking proudly of his kids ("head to toe, healthy wealthy and wise") or a family of 19th century Midwesterners bemused by the railroad ("Who ran the iron horse?") cutting through their meadows. Wilson's genius was that he could turn the mood from burlesque to eeriness, and then back, without undermining his concept. A key passage begins with a baroque balad for harpsichord ("Wonderful") and ends in some of rock's most aristocratic wordplay ("Surf's Up") with vocal harmonies so resplendent that ships should be named after them. But phantoms live here. Wilson's piano chords ("Look") are peculiar, disturbed by their own shadows. A key metaphor ("the child is father of the man") recurs. Inside the belly of Smile, in the heart-land of America, the humour has gone awry."

Yup, he's talking Surf's Up harmonies.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2011, 07:10:31 AM by John Manning » Logged

Runaways
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 24, 2011, 07:09:02 AM »

i'm guessing you guys are all english?  anyone know when they'd expect it to show up in the states?  I know that 60s Mojo issue took a bit of time to arrive at barnes and noble.
letsmakeit31
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 24, 2011, 07:18:29 AM »

Yes I'm English at least. The 60's Mojo was great too. I just wanted to be the first to put a review from a magazine here Smiley
Barnshine
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 24, 2011, 07:26:09 AM »

I found a blog with the recent Uncut available in pdf - http://magazinesdownload.com/post/2011/09/24/Uncut-November-2011.aspx
FatherOfTheMan Sr101
Smiley Smile Associate

I made a game

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 24, 2011, 07:27:42 AM »

Thanks a bunch! I've gotta grab a physical copy sometime in the close future!

hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 24, 2011, 07:28:12 AM »

I found a blog with the recent Uncut available in pdf - http://magazinesdownload.com/post/2011/09/24/Uncut-November-2011.aspx

Fantastic!  Grin

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
Runaways
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 24, 2011, 07:37:37 AM »

Feist's album also got 5 stars.  I'll have to check that out (her last one sucked).  Anyway, i wish the review got a little more in depth with the songs, and not so broad, but whatever
Alex
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 24, 2011, 07:45:31 AM »

How does Feist suck? Are we listening to the same woman? What a voice!

"I thought Brian was a perfect gentleman, apart from buttering his head and trying to put it between two slices of bread"  -Tom Petty, after eating with Brian.

https://givemesomeboots1.blogspot.com/
Runaways
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 24, 2011, 07:53:03 AM »

i said her last album, for some reason it just annoyed me all the way through
monicker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 24, 2011, 08:05:25 AM »

LOL, music journalists.

Also, why are tributes to BW always done by insipid, young, fleeting hipster bands that are painfully dull and have no MUSICAL relation to BW, but only an empty stylistic "similarity"?
« Last Edit: September 24, 2011, 08:08:59 AM by monicker » Logged

Don't be eccentric, this is a BEACH BOYS forum, for God's sake!
Runaways
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 24, 2011, 08:22:53 AM »

is it that hard to figure out
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx