gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680749 Posts in 27614 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 19, 2024, 07:13:18 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Let's argue about Jeff Foskett here  (Read 10477 times)
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: September 20, 2011, 04:52:42 PM »

Have at it!

Meanwhile: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VgSjxacaccs
stack-o-tracks
Smiley Smile Associate

The baker man

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2011, 05:39:24 PM »

I like that performance of Dont Worry Baby from 1987 thats on youtube.

No mas, por favor.
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2011, 02:44:46 AM »

Back when Jeff joined the touring band, his falsetto added a missing piece to the Beach Boys show. They had been lacking a strong falsetto voice for years, especially with the background vocals. When Matt Jardine joined up in the 90's, his voice was even closer to Brian's and really filled out the vocals nicely. I don't know how Matt's voice sounds like these days, but he may have been a better fit in Brian's band than Jeff, at least on the studio albums. Though, I think Jeff's voice is perfectly fine in the live setting.

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
On Stage As It Is In Studio,
Give Us This Day, Our Shortenin' Bread
And Forgive Us Our Bootlegs,
As We Also Have Forgiven Our Wife And Managers,
And Lead Us Not Into Kokomo,
But Deliver Us From Mike Love.
Amen.  ---hypehat
ghost
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2011, 10:14:29 AM »

Jeff's songs are about as good as The Sunraysz.

Alex
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2011, 11:14:22 AM »

Jeff certainly sounds better than Adrian Baker!

"I thought Brian was a perfect gentleman, apart from buttering his head and trying to put it between two slices of bread"  -Tom Petty, after eating with Brian.

https://givemesomeboots1.blogspot.com/
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2011, 11:18:23 AM »

This thread should be about why we don't like Adrian Baker.

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
Alex
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2011, 11:21:03 AM »

Baker wouldn't be out of place in a Four Seasons cover band, but doing Brian's parts... Angry Sad Shocked Huh Tongue Embarrassed Lips Sealed Undecided Cry Evil Angry Wall Computer Smash! Whatever! Dead Horse

"I thought Brian was a perfect gentleman, apart from buttering his head and trying to put it between two slices of bread"  -Tom Petty, after eating with Brian.

https://givemesomeboots1.blogspot.com/
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2011, 11:28:21 AM »

I dunno, I thought Baker did a great job on the Queen Mary in 1981!  Tongue

Matt Jardine.   HE should be the CEO of Falsetto.   He still sounds great.  Just as good as did on the 1993 Red Barn Rehearsals!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HT3E3Xw9ZFM&feature=results_video&playnext=1&list=PLFDE07CE7E70DF2E0

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a_yoEEN0tBQ
« Last Edit: September 21, 2011, 11:44:18 AM by Mikie » Logged

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2011, 11:50:16 AM »

Matt Jardine.   HE should be the CEO of Falsetto.   He still sounds great.  Just as good as did on the 1993 Red Barn Rehearsals!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HT3E3Xw9ZFM&feature=results_video&playnext=1&list=PLFDE07CE7E70DF2E0

Matt rules on Hushabye and DWB in those videos. Wonder what Brian would have sounded like in his 40s and 50s  if he didn't mess up his voice.

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2011, 12:16:14 PM »

Unfortunately, the Hushabye video doesn't show Carl in a good light.  Those still shots show him smiling, but he obviously doesn't look well.

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
ghost
« Reply #10 on: September 21, 2011, 02:43:37 PM »

Matt rules on Hushabye and DWB in those videos. Wonder what Brian would have sounded like in his 40s and 50s  if he didn't mess up his voice.

hopefully nothing like matt jardine on don't worry baby there... ouch. no wonder brian became embarrassed about his high voice.
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 21, 2011, 02:45:05 PM »

hopefully nothing like matt jardine on don't worry baby there... ouch. no wonder brian became embarrassed about his high voice.
Give me Brian's classic voice over his crappy 15 big ones and love you voice anyday.

ghost
« Reply #12 on: September 21, 2011, 02:48:40 PM »

if by crappy you mean manly and distinguished, gravely like a grizzly bear, wild and untamed like nature, imperfect and unapologetic, strange and alluring, frightening, like your weird uncle that your mom told you not to end up alone with at parties

Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 21, 2011, 02:56:25 PM »

Yeah, upon a couple more listens, Matt doesn't sound all that good on Don't Worry Baby. A bit strained there........

Saw him in Big Sur last year and he sounded very good with the band though.

runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

I WILL NEVER GO TO SCHOOL

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 24, 2011, 07:51:05 PM »

Can't stand his voice. "Grating" defined. He should not be singing lead at a Brian concert. It's a Brian concert. He should not be singing something as "important" to the Brian Wilson/Beach Boys canon as "Don't Worry Baby". His alterations to the lead vocal on the chorus "California Girls" are obnoxious. The fact that he hates Love You, among other things, makes him go from bad to worse.

Matt Jardine isn't great (if the DWB video posted is any indication, although he sounds nice on "Don't Fight The Sea"), but is still worlds more tolerable than Foskett. I haven't heard enough to judge, but anything other than the DWB video has shown promise. If anyone, he should be doing the falsetto in the "blend" of any potential reunion tour. Alas, Foskett will push for himself to get the role and will get it.

Adrian Baker is friggin' terrible. Whoever sings "Don't Worry Baby" as part of the Beach Boys touring group is also awful.

I don't care if they have to play the song 20 steps down, the song just does not sound right unless Brian, in his aboslute best 1964 voice or in at his shoddiest my-brain-is-elsewhere 2011 voice that comes up from time to time, is singing it. I've never heard anyone imitate him well. Doesn't necessarily mean I don't think anyone else should sing it, but Brian is still alive. Let him sing his Gosh Darn song, please.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2011, 06:52:23 PM by runnersdialzero » Logged

Tell me it's okay.
Tell me you still love me.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 08, 2011, 11:29:37 AM »

Baker wouldn't be out of place in a Four Seasons cover band, but doing Brian's parts... Angry Sad Shocked Huh Tongue Embarrassed Lips Sealed Undecided Cry Evil Angry Wall Computer Smash! Whatever! Dead Horse
Adrian singing what he should be singing.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N9BKCF5bwqU&feature=related
« Last Edit: October 08, 2011, 11:31:44 AM by SMiLE Brian » Logged

sidewinder572
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 08, 2011, 12:32:24 PM »

While I'm not denying Jeffrey's talent as a musician. This terrible. "We love the sun, we love having fun" Wow what deep poetic lyrics. This is the kind of music that if you like this you would play it when no one's around to save yourself the embarrassment. I apologize to any fans, but isn't this exactly the kind of cheesy music that Brian wanted to get away from during PS and SMiLE?
Chocolate Shake Man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 14, 2011, 09:04:33 AM »

While I'm not denying Jeffrey's talent as a musician. This terrible. "We love the sun, we love having fun" Wow what deep poetic lyrics. This is the kind of music that if you like this you would play it when no one's around to save yourself the embarrassment. I apologize to any fans, but isn't this exactly the kind of cheesy music that Brian wanted to get away from during PS and SMiLE?

I think the real issue here is how much he took from the Sunrays' I Live For The Sun.

That being said, I do take issue with your insinuation that Brian "wanted to get away from" his earlier surf music. I think he was no more trying to get away from it than The Beatles were trying to get away from Please Please Me when they made Revolver. Wanting to do something different is not the same thing as turning your back on what you have done previously. I don't think Brian has ever put down the surf period, nor should he.
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 15, 2011, 12:23:50 AM »

I think the real issue here is how much he took from the Sunrays' I Live For The Sun.

That being said, I do take issue with your insinuation that Brian "wanted to get away from" his earlier surf music. I think he was no more trying to get away from it than The Beatles were trying to get away from Please Please Me when they made Revolver. Wanting to do something different is not the same thing as turning your back on what you have done previously. I don't think Brian has ever put down the surf period, nor should he.

While I'm sure he loves the material, his smashing of the gold record for Endless Summer kinda says otherwise. Wanting to be a better songwriter, not wanting to regress and everyone trying to make you regress (generally in the name of cash) is something completely different from someone just turning their back on their older material. The Jeff song posted here is indeed seemingly something Brian wanted to get away from. Brian's current image being that of the forced "Sun/fun" one is fairly disgusting, and I'm positive he has nothing to do with it.

Tell me it's okay.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 15, 2011, 12:31:28 AM »

Brian's current image being that of the forced "Sun/fun" one is fairly disgusting, and I'm positive he has nothing to do with it.

That's really not my impression of his current image at all. I mean, if you look at the TLOS and BWRG PR shots, for example, his folks seem to be taking a lot of effort to present him as a dignified elder statesman.

And he is the one who told everyone a couple of years back that he really wanted to make an album called "Pleasure Island" ...

runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 15, 2011, 12:53:05 AM »

That's really not my impression of his current image at all.

Tell me it's okay.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 15, 2011, 04:17:32 AM »

LOL

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
puni puni
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 15, 2011, 05:02:11 AM »

taken from album "Cool and gone, (gone, gone)"(1997)
Reverend Rock
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 14, 2011, 09:26:00 PM »

Jeff sounds fine to me.  Sometimes I think people want anyone Brian sings with to sound like re-incarnations of Carl and Dennis, and the Beach Boys blend of old.  Well, you know, nothing can ever duplicate that, so we simply have to play the hand we're dealt.  I'm content to do that.  I've always thought that Brian has surrounded himself with a good group of supportive musicians and singers who are devoted to him and his music.  That devotion covers a multitude of imperfections for me.
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 14, 2011, 09:50:45 PM »

runners, that is a single piece of cover art. You might as well put up this one, from a year earlier:

That really screams sun and fun, doesn't it?
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx