gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680856 Posts in 27617 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 28, 2024, 06:17:26 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Heroes & Villains parts 1 & 2 predictions/thoughts  (Read 12652 times)
Catbirdman
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 09, 2011, 03:03:51 PM »

This makes my heart flutter. This, too, is what i think. And i really want to believe. But if this is the case, isn't it totally bizarre and incomprehensible that the big box set, the thing aimed at the hardcore fans, would relegate these two monumental tracks/discoveries to a 45 single, and not be included on CD?
Maybe, maybe not. If my other wish also comes true - that the box will come with a download code for all the vinyl material - then that's a non-issue, and I can burn my own CDs anyway.

My real name is Peter Aaron Beyer. I live in Baltimore, Maryland, USA.
Runaways
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 09, 2011, 03:04:50 PM »

This makes my heart flutter. This, too, is what i think. And i really want to believe. But if this is the case, isn't it totally bizarre and incomprehensible that the big box set, the thing aimed at the hardcore fans, would relegate these two monumental tracks/discoveries to a 45 single, and not be included on CD?

isn't it on disc 2 of the 2cd?
Jeff
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 09, 2011, 03:14:09 PM »

isn't it on disc 2 of the 2cd?

Yeah.  I don't think that's bizarre at all.  It's just the record company trying to squeeze some more cash out of the hardcore fans.  Trying to get them to buy both the big set and 2CD set.  I don't like it, but that kind of thing obviously has been done many times before.
monicker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 09, 2011, 03:46:49 PM »

I mean, yeah, it would seem that that is what's going on. But, it's just so obvious. It's funny how they have no shame at all about such a ploy.

There was mention a while back about the box including a download code. I remember commenting that it would make no sense to have a download code for the material that's on CD, so it seemed a sure bet, if there was a code at all, that it would be a code to download the vinyl material. But has that been confirmed that the box is coming with a code? 

Don't be eccentric, this is a BEACH BOYS forum, for God's sake!
Catbirdman
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 09, 2011, 04:13:04 PM »

I mean, yeah, it would seem that that is what's going on. But, it's just so obvious. It's funny how they have no shame at all about such a ploy.

There was mention a while back about the box including a download code. I remember commenting that it would make no sense to have a download code for the material that's on CD, so it seemed a sure bet, if there was a code at all, that it would be a code to download the vinyl material. But has that been confirmed that the box is coming with a code?  

I disagree that it's a cheap money-grabbing ploy. Why be cynical about it? I choose to believe that the producers wanted to squeeze every last second of available space with unique content. And you know what? I'm glad they did. Cheers to them. I mean think about it, the only people that are going to even notice this stuff are the freaks. Us. And by and large, we're the kind of people who:
  • Would (and should) be chuffed to bits that every last drop was squeezed out of this thing to give us more stuff
  • Are connected and fully capable of networking with other freaks to help us out with copies of songs, if the unthinkable turned out to be true and the vinyl-only content wasn't immediately downloadable
  • Are going to buy all formats of this thing anyway!!!!!! (I know I am.)

OK, all that said, I do want to second the above question: can anyone confirm if the box set is going to come with a download code?
« Last Edit: September 09, 2011, 04:16:10 PM by Catbirdman » Logged

Catbirdman
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: September 09, 2011, 04:14:49 PM »

double post
« Last Edit: September 09, 2011, 04:16:23 PM by Catbirdman » Logged

UK_Surf
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 10, 2011, 05:09:21 AM »

Loving your thoughts and generally excellent attitude here!

Still digging Pete Sounds by the way...

buddhahat
Smiley Smile Associate

Hi, my name's Doug. Would you like to dance?

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 10, 2011, 08:56:40 AM »

@Catbirdman - I like you're reasoning on the potential for an authentic 2 sided heroes. Let's hope you're right!
« Last Edit: September 10, 2011, 09:33:30 AM by buddhahat » Logged

Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes ......
Cam Mott
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 10, 2011, 09:21:51 AM »

I hope they have gotten a tape or acetate from one of the band members for the March H&V two sided single or they use the best documentation available to identify and assemble the tracks recorded for the H&V/H&V Part 1 master number and for the H&V Part/Side 2 master number.

"Bring me the head of Carmen Sandiego" Lynne "The Chief" Thigpen
Bicyclerider
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 11, 2011, 11:13:05 AM »

Maybe the "early version outtake sections" will be part of it.

What do we think these outtakes sections are?  Based on the dates and what is already on the second disc, I'd guess these are the vocal overdubs which were booted on UM - the joint Brian & Mike vocals on the verses, the Mike cantina, etc.
Cam Mott
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 11, 2011, 07:23:36 PM »

Maybe that early instrumental track with Jimmy Bond working out the bass line?

Catbirdman
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: September 12, 2011, 06:37:46 PM »

Still digging Pete Sounds by the way...

Wha...Huh

Is your last name Cummings by any chance?  Smiley

desmondo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 13, 2011, 03:14:55 AM »

Maybe that early instrumental track with Jimmy Bond working out the bass line?

007 played bass on H&V Huh?? LOL

Cheers

Richard
Cam Mott
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: September 13, 2011, 03:51:35 AM »

Pretty cool, right?

desmondo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: September 13, 2011, 05:51:46 AM »

Pretty cool, right?

Rosa Klebb on electric Fender bass

Q engineered

M on drums

Miss Moneypenny as Secretary

Grin Grin Grin Grin

Cheers

Richard
UK_Surf
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: September 13, 2011, 06:51:04 AM »

Nope - Eric W.! We hung out at the RFH night 2 gig...this may bring back some memories:
http://www.earcandymag.com/smileliveRFH2-21-04.htm

And also big shout-out (as the kids once said) to BR & Cam, it's been a while gents. Haven't really looked into Smile-ville since the Smile Shop days, when I ducked out to make some music of my own, but it's great to see two major pater familas BB scholars still posting strong here.
UK_Surf
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: September 13, 2011, 06:52:36 AM »

Make that 3, including Catbirdman!
Bicyclerider
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: September 13, 2011, 08:19:53 AM »

Nothing like the release of a Smile box set to get the old gang back together!  Over at SH Forums Jon Hunt is pretty active on that Smile thread!
UK_Surf
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: September 13, 2011, 08:47:20 AM »

Wow...been away so long that I don't actually know what or where SH Forums are! Shameful, really...
Cam Mott
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: September 13, 2011, 09:48:10 AM »

Howdy.

I tried to paticipate at the SH forum but couldn't hang. I wonder what keeps Jon and John off of this board these days?

guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #45 on: September 13, 2011, 10:19:17 AM »

Vosse:

Interesting.

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
LostArt
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: September 13, 2011, 10:26:58 AM »

Not sure about John, but Jon has aired some of his thoughts on the matter over at the Record Room board.  I don't remember the details.  
buddhahat
Smiley Smile Associate

Hi, my name's Doug. Would you like to dance?

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: September 13, 2011, 11:51:25 AM »

Vosse:

Interesting.

I really think we can hear the sketched outlines of this version if we take the Cantina edit as the a side (with maybe the addition of prelude to fade, or the biccyle rider riff) and the bulk of heroes sections kicking off with Gee for the b side. I'm so curious to hear what Mark and Alan have come up with this for this. Whether it be sourced from a newly discovered edit, or just pieced together with a bit of detective work,  I hope this a/b side version is a solid stab at what Brian was aiming at for the long version.

Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes ......
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: September 13, 2011, 11:53:31 AM »

When the box comes out, listening to H&V parts 1 and 2 is going to be the first thing I do. Cool Guy

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
Jeff
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: September 13, 2011, 12:55:16 PM »

Vosse:

Interesting.

I really think we can hear the sketched outlines of this version if we take the Cantina edit as the a side (with maybe the addition of prelude to fade, or the biccyle rider riff) and the bulk of heroes sections kicking off with Gee for the b side. I'm so curious to hear what Mark and Alan have come up with this for this. Whether it be sourced from a newly discovered edit, or just pieced together with a bit of detective work,  I hope this a/b side version is a solid stab at what Brian was aiming at for the long version.

Kind of hard to imagine that Vosse would call a version with that much repetition "the best version" and "a beautifully structured work."  The repeating heroes sections are nice, but they hardly make for that level of craftsmanship.

That definitely could be what we get, but if so, Vosse must have been talking about something else.
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx