gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
681571 Posts in 27644 Topics by 4082 Members - Latest Member: briansclub June 16, 2024, 11:47:05 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Brian and Mike "do it again" session  (Read 4196 times)
Autotune
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: September 15, 2011, 05:00:02 PM »

What's the deal with the recent session for Do It Again with BW and ML? It passed too unnoticed, I think. People here are privy to details and probably heard the results? Can they share any info on this?

"His lyrical ability has never been touched by anyone, except for Mike Love."

-Brian Wilson on Van Dyke Parks (2015)
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

I WILL NEVER GO TO SCHOOL

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2011, 05:05:18 PM »

We'll find out sooner or later. I doubt they're just going to trash it and we won't hear it/hear more about it, at least.

Tell me it's okay.
Tell me you still love me.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
Justin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2011, 05:09:41 PM »

I wonder what prompted them to specifically choose "Do It Again" for a song to re-record all these years later after not working together...?
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2011, 05:13:54 PM »

I wonder what prompted them to specifically choose "Do It Again" for a song to re-record all these years later after not working together...?

"So let's get back together and s-do it again!"

Tell me it's okay.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
ghost
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2011, 05:16:00 PM »

am i the only one who thinks that doing do it again is only cool within the greater context of a full album of new wilson/love songs? with do it again being the tie in to the past. but as the only thing they've done... what's the point? with brian's bands backing track? no thanks. maybe if brian did the entire music himself just overdubbing, he's quite skilled at it if Love You is anything to go by. the sounds sound simple but you just try getting that enthusiastic sound in your records. brian's psychedelic muse [rainbow eyes]. sweet insanity.

ghost
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2011, 05:22:05 PM »

Rainbow Eyes is one of Brian's best songs. His voice on the Sweet Insanity voice is so beautiful. Rainbow eyes I love you...

My god... it's amazing. Brian Wilson was the king of space pop psychedelic rock & roll therapy music. Psychedelic music will cover the face of the earth. Fireworks explode when you cross the room. rainbow eyes you paint the world with your love rainbow skies up above. rainbow eyes flash poetry. rainbow eyes can you see me. i wanna walk the world in colors with you. oh pretty rainbow when you cross my wake confetti and balloons its a holiday rainbow eyes. rainbow eyes. you paint the world with your love rainbow skies up above.  lavender sunsets silver peaks clouds cold avenue emerald green beaches skarlet skies nights turqoise blue oh multicolored you my psychedelic muse rainbow eyes magic melodies rainbow eyes perfect vanity you thrill me with your sweet insanity. in my dreams i kiss to take you by my hand i am the rainbow man. ranibow eyes you paint the world with your love usslsfefojwpgfok rainbow eyes i love you rainbow eyes i love you rainbow eyes oh rainbow i love you i love you rainbow eyes oh rainbow i love you where are you rainbow eyes oh rainbow i love you i love you rainbow eyes oh rainbow i love you where are you

Justin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2011, 05:28:13 PM »

"So let's get back together and s-do it again!"

On the Live at Roxy version of "Do It Again" Brian also does the ssss-do it again!" lyric.  I always thought he was saying "Sue them again!" in reference to Mike constantly suing Brian/The Beach Boys.   Haha...stupid I know.
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2011, 05:29:54 PM »

am i the only one who thinks that doing do it again is only cool within the greater context of a full album of new wilson/love songs? with do it again being the tie in to the past.

Very well could be, hard to say, at this point.

And Mr.Justin, I think the "Sue it again" thing was common among a lot of people. At least I remember reading something to that affect, anyway.

Tell me it's okay.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
Justin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2011, 05:33:11 PM »

Ah very cool!  I thought it was my Beach Boy geek moment and trying to make something out of nothing!  Good to know others heard that too.
ghost
« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2011, 05:44:31 PM »

Justin, have you ever seen Full Metal Jacket? The Kubrick film? Remember when they all beat on that guy with soap in pillow cases? That could possibly happen here due to your gigantic ad-like signature. Just a heads up - I'd put a lifesize picture of the cosmos in my signature if I could. f*ck & Mercy, Brian Wilson.

edit: now it's gone - i was hallucinating, my bad
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 15, 2011, 07:24:54 PM »

I think I read somewhere that certain members of Brian's band sing "surf again", while the others sing "do it again" at the exact same time. The combined effect comes out as sounding like "sue it again".
« Last Edit: September 15, 2011, 08:28:01 PM by Jay » Logged

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
FatherOfTheMan Sr101
Smiley Smile Associate

I made a game

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 15, 2011, 08:09:18 PM »

Justin, have you ever seen Full Metal Jacket? The Kubrick film? Remember when they all beat on that guy with soap in pillow cases? That could possibly happen here due to your gigantic ad-like signature. Just a heads up - I'd put a lifesize picture of the cosmos in my signature if I could. f*ck & Mercy, Brian Wilson.

edit: now it's gone - i was hallucinating, my bad

Win of the year.

Runaways
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 15, 2011, 10:26:34 PM »

was it just mike and brian?  i thought it was al and bruce too.
SurfRiderHawaii
Smiley Smile Associate

Add Some Music to your day!

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 16, 2011, 12:03:09 AM »

was it just mike and brian?  i thought it was al and bruce too.

There is another thread on this but I can't find it.  AGD had the info of who was there I think, and when.  

As I recall, someone said the session didn't go well (but I can't remember who said it: maybe Jon)
« Last Edit: September 16, 2011, 12:06:36 AM by SurfRiderHawaii » Logged

"Brian is The Beach Boys. He is the band. We're his f***ing messengers. He is all of it. Period. We're nothing. He's everything" - Dennis Wilson
SurfRiderHawaii
Smiley Smile Associate

Add Some Music to your day!

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 16, 2011, 12:05:57 AM »

was it just mike and brian?  i thought it was al and bruce too.

There is another thread on this but I can't find it.  AGD had the info of who was there I think. 

As I recall, someone said the session didn't go well (but I can't remember who said it: maybe Jon)

Found it:

http://smileysmile.net/board/index.php/topic,10672.0.html

"Brian is The Beach Boys. He is the band. We're his f***ing messengers. He is all of it. Period. We're nothing. He's everything" - Dennis Wilson
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: September 16, 2011, 03:48:44 AM »

am i the only one who thinks that doing do it again is only cool within the greater context of a full album of new wilson/love songs?

Probably so, yes.

This was posted on the german California Dreamin'-messageboard:

Scott Totten - lead guitar
John Cowsill - drums
"and a couple of Brianīs band"

And that Mike said Brian was conducting the session

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 16, 2011, 03:58:27 AM »

I think I read somewhere that certain members of Brian's band sing "surf again", while the others sing "do it again" at the exact same time. The combined effect comes out as sounding like "sue it again".

Happens on the recording too

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: September 16, 2011, 04:03:11 AM »

Happens on the recording too

That's because it's a punch-in on the original demo - check out the Endless Harmony version.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
LostArt
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 16, 2011, 07:17:04 AM »

am i the only one who thinks that doing do it again is only cool within the greater context of a full album of new wilson/love songs?

Probably so, yes.

This was posted on the german California Dreamin'-messageboard:

Scott Totten - lead guitar
John Cowsill - drums
"and a couple of Brianīs band"

And that Mike said Brian was conducting the session

What about that Nashville studio drummer, Eddie Bayers, who tweeted that he was recording with Brian, Mike, Al, and Bruce?

http://smileysmile.net/board/index.php/topic,10313.75.html
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx