gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680749 Posts in 27614 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 19, 2024, 10:58:27 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Summer in Paradise  (Read 20510 times)
Freddie French-Pounce
Smiley Smile Associate

A.K.A. mrmoustachioto

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: September 15, 2011, 11:05:31 PM »

The UK version, bar the remixes, had drastic packaging downgrades. From the nice 'Eco-Pak' to a standard jewel case, even the artwork sufferred.

Right click images and 'View Image' for full size images.

The UK cover fold out:

UK CD Left, US Right

UK Rear Insert (Note how the track times are the same as the US ones!)

US Cover Fold 1

US Cover Fold 2

US Poster (sorry about the poor edit, Its not an easy size to scan!)

Mike's Liner Notes LOL

All photos here: http://www.majhost.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?f=253507

This was meant to be posted here originally, but for some reason it created another topic, but I thought I'd return it home!

Check out the Mono/Stereo Mix Breakdown podcast Mixology here: https://mixology.podbean.com/
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: September 17, 2011, 03:15:43 PM »

Ok, so I have a half a bottle of wine in me and another to go after a steady day of drinking, and listening to Summer In Paradise seems like a fantastic idea right now. It's been so hard to live without it, so lets talk about it.

1) Hot Fun In The Summertime

DEAR JESUS THE SNARE. We will have to get used to this.
Also, "Whisperin'" Mike Love. I like to picture putting HOURS into these leads.
Carl telling me we can "Bum bum bum" is kinda flattering imo.
SAX SOLO. Those breaks make me flinch.
This thing is mixed so fucking terribly Carl's high notes vanish from the mix.
also, WHAT THE HELL IS CARL DOING. I guess given Beckley/Lamm/Wilson, it's safe to say that absolutely every vestige of Carl's taste had disappeared by this point. He might have even thought this was A GOOD IDEA.

2. Surfin'

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO.
f*** me, the vocals on this are absolutely terrrrrrrrrrible. NASAL DOMINATION. Carl being SHITE. Like, even his smack-addled late 70's performances have merit. This sucks.
Not to mention ABSOLUTELY EVERYTHING ELSE ABOUT THIS.
new lyrics. NEW LYRICS
MORE OF THEM.
I'm in pain. There are ten more songs. WHY.

3. SUMMER OF LOVE.

Mike Love, I will come round your house and make my fist meditate up your arse for this.
CHRIST ON A BICYCLE THE DJ SCRATCHES.
My Grandma has better flow than MC "Whisperin" Love.
attached and back don't rhyme, you bald apple juice chuggin goon.

4. Island Fever

These verse appear to be words in the english language. But they make no sense.
The Beach Boys' hymn to sexually transmitted diseases?
"My baby caught it and I'm not quite sure how/she might have got it from her travel brochure?" - Denny lives?
My baby can't dance or sleep because IT BURNS.
KEYCHANGE
f*** synthesisers, btw.

5. Still Surfin'

What the hell is this.
WHAT THE HELL IS THIS.
The fact I've spent a lot of time editing other things during this song speaks volumes.
What the hell makes ANYONE think it's ok to drop mexican terms for women in verses. Mamacita and the like. f*** YOU, MIKE.

6. Slow Summer Dancin' (Unneccesary parentheses)

IN BOTH CORNERS, BRUCE JOHNSTON
DETAILING HOW HE'S GONNA MAKE SWEET, SWEET, SWEET LOVE TO GROUPIES.
Misheard "I'll treat my angel really nice" as "I'll treat my ANUS.....REALLY NICE!"
Al "The Songwriter" Jardine keeping up his fine, fine, tradition of contributing entirely original melodic and lyrical ideas to songs. HOW DO YOU SLEEP AT NIGHT
That sax break. NO.

7. Strange Things Happen.

Ok, this is the worst thing so far.

It's something to do with the combination of SLAMMIN' MIKE LOVE JAMS and Al "Well, that never happened before!" Jardine learning about sex in 1991.

OH MY GOD. This is so so so s oo soooooo awful. I am crying with laughter.

8. Remember (Walking In The Sand)

Carl, I do love you, but when Mary Weiss dies she's going to find you in heaven and BEAT SEVEN SHADES OF CRAP OUT OF YOU FOR THIS.

"Echoing" Mike Love is also particularly ridiculous.

THE SAX SOLOS. AHSHGSHDGFXBGDGXFNJDMKYI6

GUYS I'M LOSING THE WILL TO LIVE. I HATE THIS ALBUM.

9. Lahina Aloha

Tropical beats
meaningless title
SOOOOOLLOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
palm trees
paradise
"Whisperin" Love

the f*** is this DRIVEL. I FEEL LIKE I'M BEING VIOLATED WITH OFFENSIVE ITEMS CARVED OUT OF JELLY OR SOMETHING. OFFENSIVE SMOOTHNESS. It's some terrible oxymoron i wouldn't believe possible if it wasn't fucking me in my ears.
THE HELL.

THREE MORE TRACKS LEFT, YOU CAN DO IT.

10. Under The Boardwalk

MIke Love, you get the f*** away from my girl.
Carl, I'm sorry, but The Drifters are also going to beat the hell out of you up there too. Possibly Carole King as well. At least they'll be tired after beating mike love to shreds. And you, Al.
ANOTHER SAXOPHONE SOLO. mo'fos.

As an aside, guys, this is one of the most awful albums in terms of production, mixing and mastering I've ever heard. IT IS THIN AS HELL.

11. SUMMER IN PARADISE.

dig that jangly fauxbyrds guitar.
THOSE 'HARMONY' VOCALS ARE CRAP. BRIAN WOULD BEAT YOU DEAD IF HE WAS IN THAT SESSION.
I think these might be EVEN WORSE LYRICS than Strange Things Happen or MC LOVE in something else.
f***, IT'S JIM MCGUINN.
that explains the guitar.
YOU BITCH, MCGUINN.

This is shite. musically, aurally, it's balls. BALLLLLLS. BIG SWEATY, HAIRY, OOZING TESTICLES. I feel ill.

12. Stamorever.

I have no more bile. I just have wine. After the systematic and calculated raping of the entire spectrum of pop music through these twelve tracks, some arsehole covering a Dennis Wilson song pales in comparison. I mean, it even has woodblocks on it, which makes it more reverent of a 'classic' bb's sound than anything on this record yet.

SEE WHAT THIS RECORD HAS DONE TO ME. I AM DEFENDING STAMOS

and with one fucking horrible sounding fake midi chord on the keyboard, that's it. The worst record I ever heard.

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: September 17, 2011, 03:27:06 PM »

You wrote this drunk? Bad, bad idea on your part. Friends should not let friends write SIP reviews drunk. Now, go sleep it off and re-listen in the morning. Wink

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
On Stage As It Is In Studio,
Give Us This Day, Our Shortenin' Bread
And Forgive Us Our Bootlegs,
As We Also Have Forgiven Our Wife And Managers,
And Lead Us Not Into Kokomo,
But Deliver Us From Mike Love.
Amen.  ---hypehat
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: September 17, 2011, 03:29:59 PM »

Never again. I feel soiled. Music will never hold the same appeal it once did.

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.

Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #54 on: September 18, 2011, 12:56:22 AM »

this is a great idea. next time I come home drunk I'll review the album too. and I *like* this album.

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
Iron Horse-Apples
« Reply #55 on: September 18, 2011, 10:11:09 AM »

I was thinking of giving it a first time listen, but after reading Hypehat diatribe I have thought again.

BTW that was the best review I've ever read.
SloopJohnB
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #56 on: September 18, 2011, 01:43:23 PM »

I can't imagine why people would refuse to listen - just once! - to an album made by one of their favorite artists.  Roll Eyes

Judge for yourself, ferchrissakes.

I don't know where, but their music sends me there
Pleasure Island!!!!!!! and a slice of cheese pizza.
Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #57 on: September 18, 2011, 01:49:19 PM »

I second that.

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: September 18, 2011, 11:07:17 PM »

I can't imagine why people would refuse to listen - just once! - to an album made by one of their favorite artists.  Roll Eyes

This was my logic. Until I listened to the damn thing  Grin

Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: September 18, 2011, 11:10:53 PM »

Slightly off-topic from all the SMiLE stuff going on, but I was checking out the wikipedia page for SIP and came across this:

"The quasi-rap number "Summer of Love" was originally intended to be a duet, albeit one with Bart Simpson. (The song was also used in an episode of "Baywatch".)"

Can anyone else back this up? Or is it nonsense?

Fact - was going to be on The Yellow Album.
I don't know what's worse, the idea of Mike and Bart Simpson doing a duet, or the fact that The Temptations did appear on a Garfield album.

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
MBE
« Reply #60 on: September 18, 2011, 11:16:24 PM »

I dislike it but not as much as hypehat. Honestly that was damn funny though.
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: September 18, 2011, 11:19:33 PM »

I'm almost gasping with laughter. The Mary Weiss comment was brilliant. Morally wrong, but pretty f*cking hilarious.  LOL

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
Dutchie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: September 19, 2011, 12:45:06 AM »

Ok, so I have a half a bottle of wine in me and another to go after a steady day of drinking, and listening to Summer In Paradise seems like a fantastic idea right now. It's been so hard to live without it, so lets talk about it.

1) Hot Fun In The Summertime

DEAR JESUS THE SNARE. We will have to get used to this.
Also, "Whisperin'" Mike Love. I like to picture putting HOURS into these leads.
Carl telling me we can "Bum bum bum" is kinda flattering imo.
SAX SOLO. Those breaks make me flinch.
This thing is mixed so friggin' terribly Carl's high notes vanish from the mix.
also, WHAT THE HELL IS CARL DOING. I guess given Beckley/Lamm/Wilson, it's safe to say that absolutely every vestige of Carl's taste had disappeared by this point. He might have even thought this was A GOOD IDEA.

2. Surfin'

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO.
f*ck me, the vocals on this are absolutely terrrrrrrrrrible. NASAL DOMINATION. Carl being sh*tE. Like, even his smack-addled late 70's performances have merit. This sucks.
Not to mention ABSOLUTELY EVERYTHING ELSE ABOUT THIS.
new lyrics. NEW LYRICS
MORE OF THEM.
I'm in pain. There are ten more songs. WHY.

3. SUMMER OF LOVE.

Mike Love, I will come round your house and make my fist meditate up your arse for this.
CHRIST ON A BICYCLE THE DJ SCRATCHES.
My Grandma has better flow than MC "Whisperin" Love.
attached and back don't rhyme, you bald apple juice chuggin goon.

4. Island Fever

These verse appear to be words in the english language. But they make no sense.
The Beach Boys' hymn to sexually transmitted diseases?
"My baby caught it and I'm not quite sure how/she might have got it from her travel brochure?" - Denny lives?
My baby can't dance or sleep because IT BURNS.
KEYCHANGE
f*ck synthesisers, btw.

5. Still Surfin'

What the hell is this.
WHAT THE HELL IS THIS.
The fact I've spent a lot of time editing other things during this song speaks volumes.
What the hell makes ANYONE think it's ok to drop mexican terms for women in verses. Mamacita and the like. f*ck YOU, MIKE.

6. Slow Summer Dancin' (Unneccesary parentheses)

IN BOTH CORNERS, BRUCE JOHNSTON
DETAILING HOW HE'S GONNA MAKE SWEET, SWEET, SWEET LOVE TO GROUPIES.
Misheard "I'll treat my angel really nice" as "I'll treat my ANUS.....REALLY NICE!"
Al "The Songwriter" Jardine keeping up his fine, fine, tradition of contributing entirely original melodic and lyrical ideas to songs. HOW DO YOU SLEEP AT NIGHT
That sax break. NO.

7. Strange Things Happen.

Ok, this is the worst thing so far.

It's something to do with the combination of SLAMMIN' MIKE LOVE JAMS and Al "Well, that never happened before!" Jardine learning about sex in 1991.

OH MY GOD. This is so so so s oo soooooo awful. I am crying with laughter.

8. Remember (Walking In The Sand)

Carl, I do love you, but when Mary Weiss dies she's going to find you in heaven and BEAT SEVEN SHADES OF CRAP OUT OF YOU FOR THIS.

"Echoing" Mike Love is also particularly ridiculous.

THE SAX SOLOS. AHSHGSHDGFXBGDGXFNJDMKYI6

GUYS I'M LOSING THE WILL TO LIVE. I HATE THIS ALBUM.

9. Lahina Aloha

Tropical beats
meaningless title
SOOOOOLLOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
palm trees
paradise
"Whisperin" Love

the f*ck is this DRIVEL. I FEEL LIKE I'M BEING VIOLATED WITH OFFENSIVE ITEMS CARVED OUT OF JELLY OR SOMETHING. OFFENSIVE SMOOTHNESS. It's some terrible oxymoron i wouldn't believe possible if it wasn't friggin' me in my ears.
THE HELL.

THREE MORE TRACKS LEFT, YOU CAN DO IT.

10. Under The Boardwalk

MIke Love, you get the f*ck away from my girl.
Carl, I'm sorry, but The Drifters are also going to beat the hell out of you up there too. Possibly Carole King as well. At least they'll be tired after beating mike love to shreds. And you, Al.
ANOTHER SAXOPHONE SOLO. mo'fos.

As an aside, guys, this is one of the most awful albums in terms of production, mixing and mastering I've ever heard. IT IS THIN AS HELL.

11. SUMMER IN PARADISE.

dig that jangly fauxbyrds guitar.
THOSE 'HARMONY' VOCALS ARE CRAP. BRIAN WOULD BEAT YOU DEAD IF HE WAS IN THAT SESSION.
I think these might be EVEN WORSE LYRICS than Strange Things Happen or MC LOVE in something else.
f*ck, IT'S JIM MCGUINN.
that explains the guitar.
YOU BITCH, MCGUINN.

This is sh*te. musically, aurally, it's balls. BALLLLLLS. BIG SWEATY, HAIRY, OOZING TESTICLES. I feel ill.

12. Stamorever.

I have no more bile. I just have wine. After the systematic and calculated raping of the entire spectrum of pop music through these twelve tracks, some arsehole covering a Dennis Wilson song pales in comparison. I mean, it even has woodblocks on it, which makes it more reverent of a 'classic' bb's sound than anything on this record yet.

and with one friggin' horrible sounding fake midi chord on the keyboard, that's it. The worst record I ever heard.

W

wHY DID YOU EVEN BUY THE RECORD IF YOURE SO NEGATIVE??
adamghost
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: September 19, 2011, 01:35:20 AM »

[snip]

12. Stamorever.

and with one friggin' horrible sounding fake midi chord on the keyboard, that's it. The worst record I ever heard.

The. Post. Of. The. Century.
Paulos
« Reply #64 on: September 19, 2011, 05:00:55 AM »

Hypehat that was friggin brilliant!

Idea for your next project: 2 bottles of wine + M.I.U. Album - good luck!
« Last Edit: September 19, 2011, 05:03:42 AM by Paulos » Logged
phirnis
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: September 19, 2011, 11:37:51 AM »

Hypehat that was friggin brilliant!

Idea for your next project: 2 bottles of wine + M.I.U. Album - good luck!

Come on, M.I.U. isn't even half as bad as Summer in Paradise! Cheesy

Still, I'd love to read more reviews as well.
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #66 on: September 19, 2011, 11:41:33 AM »

Hypehat, Please review Country Love!!!!!!! Grin

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
oldsurferdude
« Reply #67 on: September 19, 2011, 02:53:00 PM »

Put him under a suicide watch first. angel
joshferrell
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #68 on: September 19, 2011, 02:58:14 PM »

Put him under a suicide watch first. angel
it IS that bad,,I hate to say..worse then SIP..thank God Cuntry Love has never been released..I would have  to say it is the worst beach boys solo recordings I have ever heard "First Love" is better IMO,,CL is just Mike singing country songs that's it and they aren't even beach boys style they are just country.. Shocked Thud
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #69 on: September 19, 2011, 06:49:33 PM »

Thank you all very much, although my liver might protest at making a habit of this  Grin Country Love seems like a challenge I might not be able to resist*.....

*in case anyone wasn't clear, I had had far more than the two bottles of wine implied in the review - that was just what I had swindled from a good friends wedding, which I had spent a good 6 hours boozing at the reception before staggering home. The next day was not fun  Grin
« Last Edit: September 19, 2011, 06:53:12 PM by hypehat » Logged

Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #70 on: September 20, 2011, 12:18:42 AM »

at least you're a responsible drunk. when I'm wasted on the internet I write long messages to my ex.

Iron Horse-Apples
« Reply #71 on: September 20, 2011, 02:11:30 AM »

It is precisely because I love the Beach Boys that I refuse to listen to this album.

In the same way as if I had a good friend who died in a horrific car accident. I wouldn't want to see their mangled, unrecognisable corpse. I'd want to rememebr them how they were.

Now I'm sure everyone gets my metaphor here, but I'll put it bluntly, just because this will be a fun setence to write.

Summer In Paradise is the horribly maimed, putrid, repugant rotten corpse of The Beach Boys recording career.

I stop at Love You and venture no further.
SloopJohnB
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #72 on: September 20, 2011, 02:56:43 AM »

Summer In Paradise is the horribly maimed, putrid, repugant rotten corpse of The Beach Boys recording career.

How can you say that? You haven't listened to it.  Whatever!

By the way, if you avoid everything post-Love You, you're missing a few very good songs.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2011, 02:58:08 AM by SloopJohnB » Logged

I don't know where, but their music sends me there
Pleasure Island!!!!!!! and a slice of cheese pizza.
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #73 on: September 20, 2011, 08:38:29 AM »

It is precisely because I love the Beach Boys that I refuse to listen to this album.

In the same way as if I had a good friend who died in a horrific car accident. I wouldn't want to see their mangled, unrecognisable corpse. I'd want to rememebr them how they were.

Now I'm sure everyone gets my metaphor here, but I'll put it bluntly, just because this will be a fun setence to write.

I stop at Love You and venture no further.

What a terribly stupid post. Do you judge other things in your life this way, as well? Another person to add to my ITF list.

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
On Stage As It Is In Studio,
Give Us This Day, Our Shortenin' Bread
And Forgive Us Our Bootlegs,
As We Also Have Forgiven Our Wife And Managers,
And Lead Us Not Into Kokomo,
But Deliver Us From Mike Love.
Amen.  ---hypehat
ghost
« Reply #74 on: September 20, 2011, 09:14:47 AM »

at least you're a responsible drunk. when I'm wasted on the internet I write long messages to my ex.

itttttttsssssss agir rr
we wwwwwwwwwwwwhad some tghing good going owsnnn
you know ? Huh////////////////// soooooooooooo maybe we shoukldo[
try ito oto find agodo it again oplkieke the beach bnoyso sang

gfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx