gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680755 Posts in 27615 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 20, 2024, 02:10:24 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Summer in Paradise  (Read 20514 times)
Runaways
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 11, 2011, 08:14:08 AM »

listening to the clips for this album for the first time.  heh.  this is so bad.
Peter Reum
Honored Guest

Serving fine tortillas since 1965

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 11, 2011, 08:45:29 AM »

I thought I was a completist until Summer in Paradise came along.....

If it runs amuck, call the duck
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: September 11, 2011, 08:47:37 AM »

Grin

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 11, 2011, 09:08:04 AM »

And you call yourself a Beach Boys fan? Wink While it is by far their worst album, and except for the L.A. (Light Album), I don't think M.I.U. Through Still Cruisin' are much of an improvement either. Out of all those albums, Brian had all of one good song, and that was Goin' On.

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
On Stage As It Is In Studio,
Give Us This Day, Our Shortenin' Bread
And Forgive Us Our Bootlegs,
As We Also Have Forgiven Our Wife And Managers,
And Lead Us Not Into Kokomo,
But Deliver Us From Mike Love.
Amen.  ---hypehat
Dutchie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 11, 2011, 11:14:43 PM »

I am a big fan of SIP. I only never understood why would prever hot fun instead of Surfin' as a single. There are some great tunes on it. Really dig Still Surfing and Summer of Love. Laihania  would do good as a single. The live version of Summer in Paradise is awsome.  Smokin
« Last Edit: September 12, 2011, 11:07:32 AM by Dutchie » Logged
Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: September 12, 2011, 01:10:22 AM »

I never had a problem with the album. Well, I think initially I didn't like it. I don't respect it but I like it. When I first got it, it was pretty much the only thing I listened to for a few months.

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
MBE
« Reply #31 on: September 12, 2011, 03:19:20 AM »

I don't remember how many times I played it. Ten at most.  Getting the vinyl was cool as it's a tad warmer but bad is bad.
filledeplage
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 12, 2011, 05:43:39 AM »

I am a big fan of SIP. I only never understood why prever hot fun instead of Surfin'as a single. There are some great tunes on it. Really dig Still Surfing and Summer of Love. The live version of Summer in Paradise is awsome.  Smokin

Dutchie - I am with you!  Love Lahaina Aloha, SIP, One Summer Night, and it is of no consequence to me, if no one else likes it!

"This above all; To Thine Own Self Be True!" words from some old Englishman!  Wink     
Stegibo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 12, 2011, 06:07:14 AM »

Great to see other people who like SIP.
I love Lahaina Aloha, Island Fever, One Summer Night, Summer In Paradise, even Summer of Love has something. :D

Are you ready for some Fun Fun Fun?!
Micha
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #34 on: September 12, 2011, 06:13:04 AM »

The title track is pretty good, IMHO. The rest is not so... relevant, also IMHO. Wink 2

I didn't know it was available on vinyl. Where did you get that? Even though I wouldn't play it a lot, I'd buy one if one crossed my way at a reasonable price.

Ceterum censeo SMiLEBrianum OSDumque esse excludendos banno.
adamghost
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 13, 2011, 01:40:10 AM »

"Hot Fun" never bothered me.  At least it was an inspired choice of a cover.

BUT...

My band once played a show at which Al Jardine guested.  During sound check, he noticed "Hot Fun" on the set list.  He said, "you're not doing our version of that, are you?"  Me:  "no."  Al:  "Good."
MBE
« Reply #36 on: September 13, 2011, 05:52:16 AM »

The title track is pretty good, IMHO. The rest is not so... relevant, also IMHO. Wink 2

I didn't know it was available on vinyl. Where did you get that? Even though I wouldn't play it a lot, I'd buy one if one crossed my way at a reasonable price.
I got it on Ebay. It's really rare so it wasn't cheap. It was a Korean pressing but unlike the pressing from the sixties and seventies it was really nice and clean. I heard rumors of an Aussie pressing but never saw one. As I said it sounds better sonically but the songs aren't so good however you cut it. Hot Fun is Ok I guess. I liked it the one time I heard it on the radio but after playing it a few times it's very so so. The title track had some potential as did Lahaina Aloha but the production ruines it. Forever is a sick joke.
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 13, 2011, 05:54:27 AM »

"Hot Fun" never bothered me.  At least it was an inspired choice of a cover.

BUT...

My band once played a show at which Al Jardine guested.  During sound check, he noticed "Hot Fun" on the set list.  He said, "you're not doing our version of that, are you?"  Me:  "no."  Al:  "Good."

LOL

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
Dead Parrot
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: September 13, 2011, 06:39:02 AM »

even Summer of Love has something. :D

Let's hope it isn't contagious then!
filledeplage
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: September 13, 2011, 07:19:07 AM »

even Summer of Love has something. :D

Let's hope it isn't contagious then!

I wonder if more women than men like SIP...There is a certain appeal to women...IMHO  Wink

Interesting about "Hot Fun" retro...

Great "nom de plume" Dead Parrot". Was it Flaubert's?  The book, Flaubert's Parrot   Wink
Mike's Beard
Smiley Smile Associate

Check your privilege. Love & Mercy guys!

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: September 13, 2011, 10:20:52 AM »

In the two or so odd years I've had it I've listened to it three times and the last time was with generous amounts of skipping. I do play Summer of Love on my mp3 when I'm in the mood for a giggle!!

I'd rather be forced to sleep with Caitlyn Jenner then ever have to listen to NPP again.
MBE
« Reply #41 on: September 14, 2011, 12:26:13 AM »

In the two or so odd years I've had it I've listened to it three times and the last time was with generous amounts of skipping. I do play Summer of Love on my mp3 when I'm in the mood for a giggle!!
Yeah I've played the Baywatch video to mess with a few people. Sick sense of humor I have.
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: September 14, 2011, 01:32:45 PM »

Yeah I've played the Baywatch video to mess with a few people. Sick sense of humor I have.
Actually almost bought this at a used CD store a few months ago. I didn't because i thought could buy it another time because it was SIP. Then I came back to the store a week later and somebody bought it. LOL

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
Pinder's Gone To Kokomo And Back Again
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: September 14, 2011, 02:14:46 PM »

More Al stories Adam!!!!

PLEASE???

CosmicDancer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #44 on: September 14, 2011, 05:34:43 PM »

Actually almost bought this at a used CD store a few months ago. I didn't because i thought could buy it another time because it was SIP. Then I came back to the store a week later and somebody bought it. LOL

I found a copy at a used cd store about a year ago.  I bought it for $5.  Not worth it musically, but it rounded out my collection.

The Un-Funny Alliance:  Are you not "good at being funny"?  Join us today in our mission to make the world a less funny place one "easy" fart joke at a time!
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

I WILL NEVER GO TO SCHOOL

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: September 14, 2011, 05:49:40 PM »

I still have never bothered with this album outside the horrendous new versions of "Forever" and "Surfin'". Am I missing anything noteworthy, be it an actual decent moment or something so bad that it's entertaining?

Tell me it's okay.
Tell me you still love me.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
Alex
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: September 15, 2011, 09:59:27 AM »

I still have never bothered with this album outside the horrendous new versions of "Forever" and "Surfin'". Am I missing anything noteworthy, be it an actual decent moment or something so bad that it's entertaining?

Lahaina Aloha is OK...mostly due to Carl's vocal.

"I thought Brian was a perfect gentleman, apart from buttering his head and trying to put it between two slices of bread"  -Tom Petty, after eating with Brian.

https://givemesomeboots1.blogspot.com/
Awesoman
Smiley Smile Associate

Disagreements? Work 'em out.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #47 on: September 15, 2011, 10:10:18 AM »

Man, Summer Of Love ft Bart would be even better than the Fat Boys Wipe Out or Smart Girls!!!

That's like saying having cancer is better than having AIDS.

And if you don't know where you're going
Any road will take you there
PhilSpectre
Smiley Smile Associate

May You Never Hear Surf Music ... Again

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: September 15, 2011, 01:24:48 PM »

Man, Summer Of Love ft Bart would be even better than the Fat Boys Wipe Out or Smart Girls!!!

That's like saying having cancer is better than having AIDS.

LOL. For me, SIP is one of those guilty pleasures, in fact like so much of the Beach Boys post 1973 catalogue  Grin

And yes, without Carl and Al's sterling vocal efforts throughout the record, it would be even weaker.

Also, as another poster said, that live version of SIP the song rather disturbingly has an energy and kick about it that surprised the hell out of me on first hearing.
Eric Aniversario
Smiley Smile Associate

Keep the Summer Alive!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #49 on: September 15, 2011, 04:14:03 PM »

I became a big fan in 1991, and completed my CD collection (at least all that had been released up to that point) in 1994 or so.  I remember buying SIP around 1993 at the swap meet.  I didn't like it at first, but it really grew on me, and a number of the tracks were on my car mixtapes from 1993-the early/mid 2000's...a couple of the tracks still make the cut on my mp3 CDs that I put on random mode in the car.  I listen to it a lot less now, but I have to say that many of the songs bring back fond memories of my late teens/early 20s that no amount of fan criticism could ever squash...
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx