gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
681222 Posts in 27630 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims May 29, 2024, 08:13:27 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 11 12 ... 35 Go Down Print
Author Topic: In The Key Of Disney  (Read 136494 times)
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #150 on: August 19, 2011, 12:52:11 PM »

the adult/child lives with this awesome song.

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
GuyOnTheBeach
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #151 on: August 19, 2011, 12:53:53 PM »

I was surprised by the track just posted on FB, better than I was hoping for. I can't wait to hear Brian do "You've Got A Friend In Me" (providing the track list is legit), even before we heard about this Disney album, that has always been one I wished Brian would cover, I have high hopes.
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #152 on: August 19, 2011, 01:25:58 PM »

I like it very much. It has that Disney comic feeling with Brian's best childish side.

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #153 on: August 19, 2011, 01:26:48 PM »

Holy smoke! Two new BW tracks in a single day.

This one is definitely cool, if a little dotty. Would be interested to know BW's contributions vs. the band's -- we know how involved he was with Gershwin. I wonder if that was continued with this project, or if he unloaded more of the production.
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #154 on: August 19, 2011, 01:34:56 PM »

I so wanna sample this and rap over it.

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
shelter
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #155 on: August 19, 2011, 01:54:47 PM »

I like it. This easily stands the old "Would I listen to this if it wasn't Brian Wilson?" test. While most of 'BWRG' didn't.
Wrightfan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #156 on: August 19, 2011, 02:10:29 PM »

Very SMiLEish...wasn't sold at first but I like it.

This one is definitely cool, if a little dotty. Would be interested to know BW's contributions vs. the band's -- we know how involved he was with Gershwin. I wonder if that was continued with this project, or if he unloaded more of the production.

Wait...what other new track?

Unless are you counting the medley as two?
37!ws
Smiley Smile Associate

All baggudo at my man

View Profile WWW
« Reply #157 on: August 19, 2011, 02:16:11 PM »

Personally? I AM SO FARKING PISSED that he didn't cover the Tiki Room song!!!!!

Check out my podcasts: Tune X Podcast (tunex.fab4it.com) and Autobiography of a Schnook (SchnookPodcast.com); there are worse things you can do!
Steve Mayo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #158 on: August 19, 2011, 02:24:40 PM »

Very SMiLEish...wasn't sold at first but I like it.

Wait...what other new track?

Unless are you counting the medley as two?

http://smileysmile.net/board/index.php/topic,10874.0.html

moderatorem non facit stultus est ingenio
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #159 on: August 19, 2011, 02:28:35 PM »

Love the happy fun sound of it!

Listen to that at 1:35! Sounds brilliant!

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
Peter Reum
Honored Guest

Serving fine tortillas since 1965

View Profile
« Reply #160 on: August 19, 2011, 02:32:01 PM »

Reminds me a little of Teeter Totter Love...very Smilesque....terrific

If it runs amuck, call the duck
Jonas
Smiley Smile Associate

I've got the Beach Boys, my friends got the Stones

View Profile
« Reply #161 on: August 19, 2011, 02:55:35 PM »

Damn facebook! Sad

We would like to record under an atmosphere of calmness. - Brian Wilson
--
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g1IgXT3xFdU
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #162 on: August 19, 2011, 02:59:07 PM »

Quirky and unexpected -  know what folk are saying about Smile-quirky - lacks that darker vibe but understandably so. Lovin' it, far more than the BH cover!!

“We live in divisive times.”
tansen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #163 on: August 19, 2011, 03:20:34 PM »

If his vocals are anything like they were on TLOS or (especially) BWRG, then we're in for a treat.
Yap. Guys, it's gonna be great.

I really don't get what you guys are hearing. I think one of the big problems with BW recordings these days (and back in 2004 for that matter) is in fact his vocal performance. He sounds kind of slurred, and not to mention heavily tuned at times. And this is the primary reason on why I rather would not see the Disney album be released (which it of course will be). Trying to make a new version of for instance 'When you wish upon a star' is in my opinion pointless. The original is so good both musically and vocally that I think a BW version per today would not go well with me. Brian anno 1966 on the other hand, I can only imagine being close to perfect.

There's a lot of music and artists I don't like but (Smiths/Morrissey excepted) I don't tell other fans their albums shouldn't be released: I just don't listen to them.

Perhaps it was put a little bit wrong. But what got me into the BB all those years ago was Brian and his brothers' voices. And in my opinion, releases like this (and I hope I'm wrong) won't add to the legacy of Brian Wilson. And this primarily because of his voice, which I find to be very hard to listen to in his old days.  Like I said, this is my opinion, and it might just be me.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2011, 03:34:15 PM by tansen » Logged

Tansen - "He Who Commands an Army of Notes"
tansen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #164 on: August 19, 2011, 03:21:53 PM »

If his vocals are anything like they were on TLOS or (especially) BWRG, then we're in for a treat.
Yap. Guys, it's gonna be great.

I really don't get what you guys are hearing. I think one of the big problems with BW recordings these days (and back in 2004 for that matter) is in fact his vocal performance. He sounds kind of slurred, and not to mention heavily tuned at times. And this is the primary reason on why I rather would not see the Disney album be released (which it of course will be). Trying to make a new version of for instance 'When you wish upon a star' is in my opinion pointless. The original is so good both musically and vocally that I think a BW version per today would not go well with me. Brian anno 1966 on the other hand, I can only imagine being close to perfect.

I never understood people that think like you.  If it's not your cup of tea, just don't buy the album.  Don't say you don't want it released, because that screws the rest of us over!  Why does the world have to conform to what you want it to be?  Let Brian release music if he wants, if you don't like it, don't listen to it.  "I rather would not see the Disney album be released" to hell with you. 

Take a chill-pill, buddy. I was just voicing my opinion.

Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #165 on: August 19, 2011, 03:23:40 PM »

So does that mean an artist should only release music that adds to their "legacy"?
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #166 on: August 19, 2011, 03:39:01 PM »

Grumpy reminds me of Brian ca. 1979  Grin

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #167 on: August 19, 2011, 03:40:17 PM »

Not sure what you were trying to link there Rocker...

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
tansen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #168 on: August 19, 2011, 03:42:53 PM »

So does that mean an artist should only release music that adds to their "legacy"?

Perhaps not, I guess it depends on how much it would weaken his or her's legacy. If a famous and legendary actor got brain damaged, should he do more movies, even if it meant ridicule? I'm not saying this is the case with Brian, but I'm just saying that someone as brilliant as Brian Wilson should ideally pretty much deliver a perfect product. And how I perceive Brian's voice to be these days, I am scared that 'In the Key of Disney' will be far away from perfect. Sorry, if I'm being pessimistic here, but that's just how I feel.

Winston Wrong
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #169 on: August 19, 2011, 03:52:17 PM »

Love it! It has a Vega-tables intro feel to it!

PS If you have youtube downloader and set the quality to best available, you can have a great quality copy of the track to listen whenever you like.... not that anyone would

angel
shelter
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #170 on: August 19, 2011, 03:54:39 PM »

And in my opinion, releases like this (and I hope I'm wrong) won't add to the legacy of Brian Wilson.

I think that releases like this one are a major addition to his legacy. A rock legend that releases six (mostly very enjoyable) new studio albums in seven years time after decades of not being very productive, I'd call that an epic comeback. Sure, this album won't be "first purchase" material, but nobody expects a musician to release his most essential material when he's in his late sixties. Nobody expects that from McCartney, the Stones or Dylan, and nobody expects that from Brian Wilson. Everything new we're getting now is basically bonus material.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2011, 03:56:57 PM by shelter » Logged
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #171 on: August 19, 2011, 03:56:04 PM »

Tansen, you're actually not answering the question I posed. Or that you yourself asked:

"If a famous and legendary actor got brain damaged, should he do more movies, even if it meant ridicule?"

What do you think?

"And how I perceive Brian's voice to be these days, I am scared that 'In the Key of Disney' will be far away from perfect."

Does that mean it shouldn't be released?

tansen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #172 on: August 19, 2011, 04:03:09 PM »

Tansen, you're actually not answering the question I posed. Or that you yourself asked:

"If a famous and legendary actor got brain damaged, should he do more movies, even if it meant ridicule?"

What do you think?

"And how I perceive Brian's voice to be these days, I am scared that 'In the Key of Disney' will be far away from perfect."

The first question; most certainly not. No, I don't think an actor should do more movies in that case.
Question two is more ambivalent, I guess I came out a little too strong when I said it shouldn't be released - but like I've mentioned previously, I'd much more like to see Brian do more songwriting and producing than performing.

tansen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #173 on: August 19, 2011, 04:06:04 PM »

And in my opinion, releases like this (and I hope I'm wrong) won't add to the legacy of Brian Wilson.

I think that releases like this one are a major addition to his legacy. A rock legend that releases six (mostly very enjoyable) new studio albums in seven years time after decades of not being very productive, I'd call that an epic comeback. Sure, this album won't be "first purchase" material, but nobody expects a musician to release his most essential material when he's in his late sixties. Nobody expects that from McCartney, the Stones or Dylan, and nobody expects that from Brian Wilson. Everything new we're getting now is basically bonus material.

Well, you know the difference is that Dylan still got pretty much the same voice he've had for ages, Stones are the Stones, and Paul McCartney still has a great voice in my opinion. I'm not expecting brilliance in terms of songwriting from any of the acts, but the vocal quality is very important to me.

tansen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #174 on: August 19, 2011, 04:10:28 PM »

What do you think?

The first question; most certainly not. No, I don't think an actor should do more movies in that case.
Question two is more ambivalent, I guess I came out a little too strong when I said it shouldn't be released - but like I've mentioned previously, I'd much more like to see Brian concentrate on songwriting/producing than on performing.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2011, 04:11:47 PM by tansen » Logged

gfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 11 12 ... 35 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx