gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
681290 Posts in 27630 Topics by 4081 Members - Latest Member: zappi June 01, 2024, 04:32:17 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Mike Love types in other bands?  (Read 8969 times)
Magic Transistor Radio
Smiley Smile Associate

Bill Cooper Mystery Babylon

View Profile
« on: August 05, 2011, 04:57:42 AM »

First off, I want to clarify that I am not looking for an argument on weather or not Mike Love is evil. I am simply considering his overall reputation of being an egotistical talentless jerk (which I don't agree with) and wondering if there are persons from another band with a similar reputation? I am not very well read on other bands, or what fans think of its members, outside of the Beach Boys. Based on what a lot of people think about ML, its hard for me to imagine any other rock star being hated as much as him.

"Over the years, I've been accused of not supporting our new music from this era (67-73) and just wanting to play our hits. That's complete b.s......I was also, as the front man, the one promoting these songs onstage and have the scars to show for it."
Mike Love autobiography (pg 242-243)
Iron Horse-Apples
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2011, 05:07:25 AM »

I don't know. When it comes to egotistical, talentless jerks I think the Gallagher brothers, particularly Liam, beat Mike hands down.

And if I've offended any Oasis fans then.......

Good!

MBE
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2011, 05:30:19 AM »

I know Mick Jagger and Keith Richards are popular, but they make Mike look great as to how they treated Brian Jones.
Roger Ryan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2011, 06:56:12 AM »

Actually, I think the lead singer of the fictional band Stillwater in the film ALMOST FAMOUS is very close to a "Mike Love" type.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2011, 07:18:03 AM by Roger Ryan » Logged
Cliff1000uk
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2011, 07:02:15 AM »

As much as I love The Smiths, some of Morrissey's quotes over the years makes Mike's HOF speech read like Sylvia Plath
PongHit
Smiley Smile Associate

AVOID MISSING BALL FOR HIGH SCORE • JeffWinner.com

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2011, 08:36:33 AM »

David Lee Roth.

''Only more damage can arise from this temporary, fleeting image of success known as The Beach Boys.''
—MURRY WILSON

''People are thinking Mike Love is crazy.''
—MIKE LOVE

''Mike Love? He's Crazy.''
—BRIAN WILSON
donald
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2011, 08:41:30 AM »

bono
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2011, 08:42:34 AM »

I don't know. When it comes to egotistical, talentless jerks I think the Gallagher brothers, particularly Liam, beat Mike hands down.

And if I've offended any Oasis fans then.......

Good!

I would take Mike Love over the Gallagher brothers any day because there is something seriously wrong with those brothers.

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
ghost
« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2011, 08:46:40 AM »

Mike Love is a Unique Creation of Mother Nature's Womb-Wisdom, friends. He is not to be compared to mere weeds in the garden.
Catbirdman
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2011, 09:12:17 AM »

Roger Daltrey perhaps?

My real name is Peter Aaron Beyer. I live in Baltimore, Maryland, USA.
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 05, 2011, 09:18:39 AM »

Roger Daltrey perhaps?
I know in the early days of The Who, he would fight Keith Moon all the time, which is ironic because he became Keith's biggest supporter and  storyteller after he died.

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
donald
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 05, 2011, 11:40:35 AM »

Daltrey respects the talented creative force of the who.    Does Mike respect the talented creative force of the Beach Boys?

Does Pete take any crap?  Does Brian take any crap?
oldsurferdude
« Reply #12 on: August 05, 2011, 01:12:04 PM »

Cat Mother and the All Night Newsboys- Cat was a total mother.
Chocolate Shake Man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 05, 2011, 01:21:49 PM »

The anti-Oasis vibe here is staggering and confounding. Shows the kind of work that the media can do. It's like "Disco Sucks!" all over again!
Pinder's Gone To Kokomo And Back Again
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 05, 2011, 01:35:42 PM »

I'd say Roger Waters was certainly a Mike Love type (only with a tad better fashion sense)! Though he has mellowed out quite nicely of late.
TdHabib
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 05, 2011, 02:10:11 PM »

Daltrey respects the talented creative force of the who.    Does Mike respect the talented creative force of the Beach Boys?

Does Pete take any crap?  Does Brian take any crap?
Townshend is a mater of communication with tons of honesty, so I'd say he's very apt with Roger. Pete always calls a spade a spade, almost to a fault.

I like the Beatles a bit more than the Boys of Beach, I think Brian's band is the tops---really amazing. And finally, I'm liberal. That's it.
TdHabib
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 05, 2011, 02:14:23 PM »

Roger Waters is a great choice, very talented lyricist with a definite vision for the band, but with a much better melody writer (Gilmour) and singer (Gilmour) and filled with more talented instrumentalists (Wright especially and also Gilmour), and Roger is certainly extremely outspoken. One difference, though, is Waters could write good melodies every now and then (although mostly he was very limited).

I like the Beatles a bit more than the Boys of Beach, I think Brian's band is the tops---really amazing. And finally, I'm liberal. That's it.
Jon Stebbins
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 05, 2011, 02:36:17 PM »

My choice is going to confuse some people, especially those who don't have the context of being around in the '60's, but to me the closest thing out there to Mike Love is undoubtedly Paul Revere. He's slightly older than Mike, 70+, he's led his band as an emcee, jokester, and really the manager/leader driving force for over five decades. He goes out there night after night, tour after tour, plays the same hits, tells the same jokes, he has no one in the group that is an original Raider, just him and a bunch of faceless guys who were not on the hits. He churns it out, the fans have no idea who is who and they love it, and they sing along anyway. But there are less fans every year as the fan base ages. Paul's "Raiders" have not put out a new record or had a record contract in many, many years. No one cares. They play the old hits, they draw an audience, year after year after year. He's making a living, and making people happy, playing great songs that he only had minimal input on creatively. The guy that was the creative force (Mark Lindsay) hasn't been in the band in many years and tours as a solo act. But people come out to see Paul and the Raiders not because who is in the band, but because they recognize the name and the songs. Sound familiar?

Check it out...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5jSSb2HlPps
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 05, 2011, 02:42:33 PM »

My choice is going to confuse some people, especially those who don't have the context of being around in the '60's, but to me the closest thing out there to Mike Love is undoubtedly Paul Revere. He's slightly older than Mike, 70+, he's led his band as an emcee, jokester, and really the manager/leader driving force for over five decades. He goes out there night after night, tour after tour, plays the same hits, tells the same jokes, he has no one in the group that is an original Raider, just him and a bunch of faceless guys who were not on the hits. He churns it out, the fans have no idea who is who and they love it, and they sing along anyway. But there are less fans every year as the fan base ages. Paul's "Raiders" have not put out a new record or had a record contract in many, many years. No one cares. They play the old hits, they draw an audience, year after year after year. He's making a living, and making people happy, playing great songs that he only had minimal input on creatively. The guy that was the creative force (Mark Lindsay) hasn't been in the band in many years and tours as a solo act. But people come out to see Paul and the Raiders not because who is in the band, but because they recognize the name and the songs. Sound familiar?

Check it out...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5jSSb2HlPps
Wow, looking at a situation of similar band to Mike and Bruce's that I'm not of fan of really has just made realise how bleak the situation of the "Beach Boys" really is. (except Mike and Bruce finally care about the live show these days)
« Last Edit: August 05, 2011, 03:00:39 PM by SMiLE Brian » Logged

Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 05, 2011, 02:49:27 PM »

J.C. Fogerty

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 05, 2011, 02:56:03 PM »

The anti-Oasis vibe here is staggering and confounding. Shows the kind of work that the media can do. It's like "Disco Sucks!" all over again!

This is so funny it's almost unbelievable. The media LOVE Oasis. If they didn't, i might stop hearing about their fucking awful solo records every couple of days. If there's a single Oasis song that has the class, attention to detail or basic respect for humanity of a CHIC Organisation production, that sh*t has not even been bootlegged. I have WASTED FORMATIVE YEARS in the belief Oasis were worthwhile.

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 05, 2011, 02:59:08 PM »

This is so funny it's almost unbelievable. The media LOVE Oasis. If they didn't, i might stop hearing about their friggin' awful solo records every couple of days. If there's a single Oasis song that has the class, attention to detail or basic respect for humanity of a CHIC Organisation production, that sh*t has not even been bootlegged. I have WASTED FORMATIVE YEARS in the belief Oasis were worthwhile.
Well, your not wasting your years now, believing about the greatest band ever, THE BEACH BOYS!!!. Grin

punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

what it means to be human

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 05, 2011, 02:59:31 PM »

Who would have been the "Mike Love" of The Monkees?

To view my video documentation of my Beach Boys collection go to www.youtube.com/justinplank

"Someone needs to tell Adrian Baker that imitation isn't innovation." -The Real Beach Boy

~post of the century~
"Well, you reached out to me too, David, and I'd be more than happy to fill Bgas's shoes. You don't need him anyway - some of us have the same items in our collections as he does and we're also much better writers. Spoiled brat....."
-Mikie

"in this online beach boy community, I've found that you're either correct or corrected. Which in my mind is all in good fun to show ones knowledge of their favorite band."- punkinhead
Mike's Beard
Smiley Smile Associate

Check your privilege. Love & Mercy guys!

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 05, 2011, 03:01:14 PM »

You guys should read up on what it was like working with Captain Beefheart.

I'd rather be forced to sleep with Caitlyn Jenner then ever have to listen to NPP again.
Mike's Beard
Smiley Smile Associate

Check your privilege. Love & Mercy guys!

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 05, 2011, 03:02:27 PM »

Who would have been the "Mike Love" of The Monkees?

Peter Tork.  Grin

I'd rather be forced to sleep with Caitlyn Jenner then ever have to listen to NPP again.
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx