gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680877 Posts in 27617 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims May 01, 2024, 02:11:29 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 11 12 Go Down Print
Author Topic: W i l d H o n e y  (Read 61723 times)
ghost
« Reply #150 on: August 10, 2011, 08:23:56 AM »

Brian Wilson said he was going for the white spiritual sound. By the way, have you noticed how we all strangely refer to him like this many times? We all know who "Brian" usually stands for round here yet continue to say Wilson. Anyway - Brian wanted to start a race war after hearing Helter Skelter so he released I Wasn't Made To Love Her to show the blacks who's best.

Nice theory, but I believe that I Wasn't Made to Love Her came out before Helter Skelter.

Nice theory, but time does not exist.

Hmmm....thus the song Cease to Exist?
Exactly when you cease to exist as a self-perpetuating thought continuum of "I"-centric perspectival biases, time which is but the pitiful attempt of the nervous system to fragment the universal fire [think, Heraclitus (have to love a man whose name reminds you of a woman's kitten)] in past, present, future to maintain the structure of egoity. When you cease to exist in the prior explained manner, time also ceases to exist in the old way. You merge into ever re-occuring nowness. There are no reference points - there is no past, no present, no future. All your concepts are illusions - abstractions of psychedelic chaos & space-voidness.

« Last Edit: August 10, 2011, 08:25:02 AM by ghost » Logged
Mike's Beard
Smiley Smile Associate

Check your privilege. Love & Mercy guys!

View Profile
« Reply #151 on: August 10, 2011, 09:37:29 AM »

Hey Charlie, has somebody smuggled another Blackberry up his arse into your cell again?

I'd rather be forced to sleep with Caitlyn Jenner then ever have to listen to NPP again.
ghost
« Reply #152 on: August 10, 2011, 09:42:27 AM »

Hey Charlie, has somebody smuggled another Blackberry up his arse into your cell again?

I know a brotha on the mainline who can get me the Smile Sessions right now. Goes by the name of Spector. It'll cost you though...

Magic Transistor Radio
Smiley Smile Associate

Bill Cooper Mystery Babylon

View Profile
« Reply #153 on: August 10, 2011, 10:21:26 PM »

http://youtu.be/hgXlHWF3_Go

Ghost, are you a charactor from this movie?

"Over the years, I've been accused of not supporting our new music from this era (67-73) and just wanting to play our hits. That's complete b.s......I was also, as the front man, the one promoting these songs onstage and have the scars to show for it."
Mike Love autobiography (pg 242-243)
ghost
« Reply #154 on: August 10, 2011, 11:06:23 PM »

http://youtu.be/hgXlHWF3_Go

Ghost, are you a charactor from this movie?

No need to be that harsh man.
BillA
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #155 on: August 11, 2011, 04:53:10 PM »

I am of two minds on 'Wild Honey'.

First, it is a great collection of songs with 'Darlin', WH and 'Let the Wind Blow' being the stand outs.

On the other hand I have never cared for the production.  For an attempt at an R&B sound it is too laid back (except for WH and 'I was Made to Love Her' which get their drove from Carl's vocals more than anything else).

the quality songs of the songs comes through in the live recordings of the songs, which are, without exception, a vast improvement over the studio versions.  "Aren't You Glad" from 'Live in London' should have been released as a single.  I have always thought it was that good.

In 1974 Mike Love's concept album Endless Summer ignited a second generation of Beach Boys fans and stirred a comeback that rocked the music world.
puni puni
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #156 on: August 11, 2011, 07:55:27 PM »

I definitely would like Wild Honey better if it were in stereo. Do the multi-tracks for WH and Aren't You Glad still exist? I hope so... they're the best tracks on the album, discounting Let The Wind Blow.
The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #157 on: August 12, 2011, 12:52:20 AM »

I am of two minds on 'Wild Honey'.

First, it is a great collection of songs with 'Darlin', WH and 'Let the Wind Blow' being the stand outs.

On the other hand I have never cared for the production.  For an attempt at an R&B sound it is too laid back (except for WH and 'I was Made to Love Her' which get their drove from Carl's vocals more than anything else).

the quality songs of the songs comes through in the live recordings of the songs, which are, without exception, a vast improvement over the studio versions.  "Aren't You Glad" from 'Live in London' should have been released as a single.  I have always thought it was that good.

...which nicely reflects my feelings, partially that is. The production takes away a lot of potential as to a really R&B-driven sound. Did I say 'production'? In reality, it is in shoddy mono, without any sense of balance. WH as we know it sounds like a bunch of demos, unproduced demos, meagre first attempts at doing material with truly great potential. It has firmly distorted bass and a very limited top end. The hand drumming was probably glued in as an afterthought, and recorded in a phone cell at the other end of the world.

Sorry to come over all harsh. I wouldn't devote a word to it if I found the songs themselves bad. But I love them (with the exception of How She). And yes, the live recordings reveal the greatness inherent in the songs.

80% Of Success Is Showing Up
Pinder's Gone To Kokomo And Back Again
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #158 on: August 12, 2011, 01:18:02 AM »

I think its perfectly OK to wish the album were in stereo and to have our feelings about the mono mix.

We obviously can't say enough about the songs (most of them) the vocals and the performances (mostly)...... therefore, I hardly think we're splitting hairs here by wishing the dang thing simply sounded better. it is an AUDIO RECORDING after all!

I happen to really really wish Ringo hadn't used put that damn towel over his snare drum Sgt Pepper onward! Sure, it gave his playing extra character, but, it still sounded like he was beating a cardboard box! ..... Then again, I also happen to believe those early Beatle album had THE best drum sound of all-time!
MBE
« Reply #159 on: August 12, 2011, 02:53:14 AM »

Love mono, love the mix. The compression is killer.
puni puni
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #160 on: August 12, 2011, 03:58:47 AM »

The sound of Ringo's drums after 1965 are one of my favorite things about El Beetels.
ghost
« Reply #161 on: August 12, 2011, 07:30:57 AM »

It's straight up blasphemy to want this album in stereo [duality, the devil]. It would fall apart since some of the tracks are pretty austere. Mono is the glue holding it together. In mono it exists singularly dimensionally - you can pick it up and put it in your pocket. In mono, there are no distinctions between one thing and another really. They're all coming out of the same god-center. Brian knew this hence his multilayer of different instruments in his productions. It's all one, dig.
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #162 on: August 12, 2011, 07:42:41 AM »

Brian Wilson said he was going for the white spiritual sound. By the way, have you noticed how we all strangely refer to him like this many times? We all know who "Brian" usually stands for round here yet continue to say Wilson. Anyway - Brian wanted to start a race war after hearing Helter Skelter so he released I Wasn't Made To Love Her to show the blacks who's best.

Nice theory, but I believe that I Wasn't Made to Love Her came out before Helter Skelter.

Nice theory, but time does not exist.

I like your style of argument

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
Compost
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #163 on: August 12, 2011, 07:49:35 AM »

Love Wild Honey - I wouldn't change a thing.  It's rawness is like a freshly picked scab - gross but satisfying.

The final four Capitol records (Smiley to 20/20) are my favourites.  So much variety!
The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #164 on: August 12, 2011, 07:50:41 AM »

It's straight up blasphemy to want this album in stereo [duality, the devil]. It would fall apart since some of the tracks are pretty austere. Mono is the glue holding it together. In mono it exists singularly dimensionally - you can pick it up and put it in your pocket. In mono, there are no distinctions between one thing and another really. They're all coming out of the same god-center. Brian knew this hence his multilayer of different instruments in his productions. It's all one, dig.

Thought as much. Cheers for that.

80% Of Success Is Showing Up
Newguy562
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #165 on: November 09, 2011, 05:21:16 PM »

WILD HONEY!

Am I the only one who finds this album to be ten times more interesting than SMiLE (in any form)? I could listen to Wild Honey/Aren't You Glad/Here Comes The Night/A Thing Or Two/Let The Wind Blow etc FOREVER. Those are some psychedelic, happening songs. Brian/Mike at their best! Most ecstatic and carefree! Where did they get so much soul? Bruce becomes God when he plays organ solos. Also, Wild Honey/Wind Chimes is the best A/B ever made! Most psychedelic! I've never heard the sessions for this album, just a few stereo mixes which I did not like at all.

How do you all play the music? I play the mono albums through a Marshall guitar amp. I raise the mids a lot and the gain a little and blast the volume. Incredible experience to hear this album in such a way!

they are both interesting..i member when i seen the cover art 4 wild honey it captured my attention and when i heard the music at 1st i hated it..den grew 2 love it after a couple more listens Smiley
Newguy562
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #166 on: November 09, 2011, 05:37:11 PM »

From Venezuela, courtesy of EBay, the almost perfect union: 

sucha strange combination yet fascinating Smiley wat songs are on it?
Newguy562
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #167 on: November 09, 2011, 05:41:11 PM »

I think I must be the only person on this board that doesn't like Wild Honey, I must have listened to it 30 or more times and I simply don't get the fascination with it, to me it sounds lazy and like a demo. I do like Darlin', Country Air and Mama Says but that's it - songs like A Thing Or To and How She Boogaloed it make me cringe.
well first off..the cover art 4 it is better den any other bb album cover..and the low quality sounds on it gives it a dirty sound lol idk how 2 explain it but it's very interesting Smiley
Alex
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #168 on: November 09, 2011, 08:50:02 PM »

Is ghost/nobody back?

"I thought Brian was a perfect gentleman, apart from buttering his head and trying to put it between two slices of bread"  -Tom Petty, after eating with Brian.

https://givemesomeboots1.blogspot.com/
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

I WILL NEVER GO TO SCHOOL

View Profile
« Reply #169 on: November 09, 2011, 09:26:50 PM »

Is ghost/nobody back?

Incredibly insulting to ghost imo.

Tell me it's okay.
Tell me you still love me.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #170 on: November 09, 2011, 09:58:34 PM »

Those are some psychedelic, happening songs.

Nothing psychedelic about the album in any form. Just a great album done in the way Sam Phillips (of SUN Records) would've recorded it

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
Newguy562
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #171 on: November 09, 2011, 10:23:15 PM »

Nothing psychedelic about the album in any form. Just a great album done in the way Sam Phillips (of SUN Records) would've recorded it
wild honey (song) sounds psychadelic.. thats about it.
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #172 on: November 10, 2011, 04:29:49 AM »

Is ghost/nobody back?
I think so, least we got the trolls to leave during the awesome SMiLE release week.

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #173 on: November 10, 2011, 04:31:47 AM »

Sam Phillips actually making an album with the group sounds awesome.

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #174 on: November 10, 2011, 05:20:14 AM »

Sam Phillips actually making an album with the group sounds awesome.

Unfortunately it's too late.

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
gfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 11 12 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx