gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
681022 Posts in 27627 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims May 16, 2024, 03:27:01 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 ... 12 Go Down Print
Author Topic: W i l d H o n e y  (Read 61948 times)
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #50 on: August 04, 2011, 06:50:12 PM »

WILD HONEY!

I play the mono albums through a Marshall guitar amp. I raise the mids a lot and the gain a little and blast the volume. Incredible experience to hear this album in such a way!

Wow, that's...that's just...wow, I don't know WHAT to say about THAT...!
I WILL say THIS...I used to get a bad head cold once or twice a year...but not since February two years ago, when I listened to the WILD HONEY album almost non-stop.  Could that be the medicine that cured me of the common cold, once & for all?  I don't know, but maybe!  (Or maybe it's because I irrigate my sinuses with saline spray twice a day now, but I choose to believe WILD Honey, the album, had something to do with it as well!).
rogerlancelot
« Reply #51 on: August 04, 2011, 07:07:41 PM »

Interesting. I ordered the Smiley Smile / Wild Honey twofer back in 1999 off of Amazon (could only get an imported copy by the way). The day it arrived I had called into work sick (I had the flu really bad with a temp of over 104 etc.) and I wound up playing the cd anyway. It didn't make me feel better at all. If anything I was seriously considering the fact that I had just been ripped off. It took a few more listens to really appreciate it and it wasn't really until I was over the flu that I started playing it continuously for weeks. Lo fi music is not very good for the flu but a later time I was sick I wound up watching some early seasons of Spongebob which actually was about all that I could handle without throwing up.
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #52 on: August 04, 2011, 07:48:33 PM »

Pet Sounds  psychedelic? Nope-not a chance-wiki was off on that one-of course GV certainly was. WH  was not in any way psychedelic.

So let me get this straight: you tell us to go look at wikipedia to find out what psychedelic music is and then when we actually do go to wikipedia and find something that you disagree with, the source that you initially gave to prove us wrong suddenly lacks credibility? You have officially given up your right to be taken seriously in this dicussion.
Get this straight, proving anyone wrong wasn't the point, jack. If you r e a d it, (try it slower next time) you'll see that it  does a faily good job at explaining what kind of music it is-and I said that I don't agree that PS or WH  qualify as that brand of music. And, further, you may want to take note that I do agree that GV was part of the genre, so button up RR -if you wanna argue all night, bring it on, Clem. Angry

Like I said, you entirely forfeited the right to be taken seriously when you made it abundantly clear that you were not prepared to have this discussion in good faith. Your playground tirade that came in lieu of a real response to my post is only further evidence that you are simply unwilling to participate in a rational discussion. Who would want to "argue all night" with someone like that?
Oh, obviously  someone with your mentality and "rationality".

Cut the sh*t.

I love Smile and Pet Sounds and much of the early stuff, but I partially agree with Billy 1967-72 is a facinating era. I wouldn't say Wild Honey is better than everything that came before it, but man it is great. Brian and I talked about it and even a little bit about the original LP lineup.

I think Pet Sounds and Smile are 'better' but prefer listening to WH thru Holland. Kinda hard to explain, really, I just do.

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: August 04, 2011, 07:51:27 PM »

I understand that perfectly, because I'm the same exact way.  Grin

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
rogerlancelot
« Reply #54 on: August 04, 2011, 08:07:06 PM »

I agree except for me it's Smiley Smile through In Concert. I also bust out Love You and Light Album a lot. I love to show people Pet Sounds and SMiLE if they have never heard them before.

Actually the 2 cds I play the most (in my car for instance) are Carl & The Passions So Tough and Heroes & Villains Sessions Vol 2 (which means I think I can get into that boxed set if you know what I mean!).

Since it is on-topic, I'll say my favorites on WH are "Aren't You Glad", "Darlin'", "Let The Wind Blow", "Country Air" and "Here Comes The Night". "A Thing Or Two" gets on my nerves in a way that only "Gettin' Hungry" matches. "Boogalood" should self-explode. I don't like Carl's voice on the title track. Other great tracks were made around this time ("Can't Wait Too Long", "Time To Get Alone", etc.) but instead we get "Mama Says" which is technically brilliant but probably got laughed at in the time it was released (late '67). Maybe Brian really DID need to just chill out and let his brothers write and produce more at the time.
Magic Transistor Radio
Smiley Smile Associate

Bill Cooper Mystery Babylon

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: August 04, 2011, 08:13:45 PM »

I don't believe that something has to be highly produced in the vain of Smile to be psychadelic. Smiley Smile is perhaps the most psychadelic album the BBs ever did, but it was also very raw. I don't think WH is overall psychadelic, but the title track is, and Let the Wind Blow to me. In my personal WH mix, I added the early Good Vibrations with Asher's lyrics. It fits in well!

My personal Wild Honey album:

1. Wild Honey
2. Gettin Hungry
3. Country Air
4. How She Boogalood It
5. Transcendental Meditation (I know it came later but I like the way it fits)
6. Whistle In
7. Good Vibrations (early take)
8. Darlin
9. Aren't You Glad
10. Here Comes the Night
11. Let the Wind Blow
12. A Thing or Two
13. Can't Wait Too Long

Recently, Smiley, WH, Friends and Love You have been my favorite BBs albums. I love the simplistic, yet brilliant arrangements. Let the Wind Blow and Country Air are two songs I have been really into lately.

"Over the years, I've been accused of not supporting our new music from this era (67-73) and just wanting to play our hits. That's complete b.s......I was also, as the front man, the one promoting these songs onstage and have the scars to show for it."
Mike Love autobiography (pg 242-243)
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: August 04, 2011, 08:14:41 PM »

Wild Honey, the song itself, is a really good song. It's just to bad that Carl wasn't a few years older than when he sang it. It seems as though the notes are right at Carl's "breaking point". As a result, it kind of sounds like a kid having a temper tantrum.  Grin

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
MBE
« Reply #57 on: August 04, 2011, 08:23:43 PM »

Pet Sounds  psychedelic? Nope-not a chance-wiki was off on that one-of course GV certainly was. WH  was not in any way psychedelic.

So let me get this straight: you tell us to go look at wikipedia to find out what psychedelic music is and then when we actually do go to wikipedia and find something that you disagree with, the source that you initially gave to prove us wrong suddenly lacks credibility? You have officially given up your right to be taken seriously in this dicussion.
Get this straight, proving anyone wrong wasn't the point, jack. If you r e a d it, (try it slower next time) you'll see that it  does a faily good job at explaining what kind of music it is-and I said that I don't agree that PS or WH  qualify as that brand of music. And, further, you may want to take note that I do agree that GV was part of the genre, so button up RR -if you wanna argue all night, bring it on, Clem. Angry

Like I said, you entirely forfeited the right to be taken seriously when you made it abundantly clear that you were not prepared to have this discussion in good faith. Your playground tirade that came in lieu of a real response to my post is only further evidence that you are simply unwilling to participate in a rational discussion. Who would want to "argue all night" with someone like that?
Oh, obviously  someone with your mentality and "rationality".

Cut the sh*t.

I love Smile and Pet Sounds and much of the early stuff, but I partially agree with Billy 1967-72 is a facinating era. I wouldn't say Wild Honey is better than everything that came before it, but man it is great. Brian and I talked about it and even a little bit about the original LP lineup.

I think Pet Sounds and Smile are 'better' but prefer listening to WH thru Holland. Kinda hard to explain, really, I just do.
Right I understand that. Myself I play all the 1963-73 stuff the most, but I have to be in a mood for something like Pet Sounds as great as it is. Wild Honey, Sunflower, Today, those I can play anytime.
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

I WILL NEVER GO TO SCHOOL

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: August 04, 2011, 09:08:12 PM »

The word "psychedelic" is dumb, especially to describe music. Use other words instead imo.

Tell me it's okay.
Tell me you still love me.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
sockittome
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: August 04, 2011, 09:15:30 PM »

My personal WILD HONEY album consists of stereo mixes for all but three of the songs, with "Mama Says" deleted and "The Letter" and "Can't Wait" tacked on the end.  That, my friends is a near perfect album!  (Perfect would be all stereo!)
sockittome
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: August 04, 2011, 09:17:53 PM »

The word "psychedelic" is dumb, especially to describe music. Use other words instead imo.

Psychedelic is Electric Prunes' "I Had Too Much to Dream Last Night" or Strawberry Alarm Clock's "Incense and Peppermints" .   WH doesn't sound anything like that!
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

I WILL NEVER GO TO SCHOOL

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: August 04, 2011, 11:21:05 PM »

My personal WILD HONEY album consists of stereo mixes for all but three of the songs, with "Mama Says" deleted and "The Letter" and "Can't Wait" tacked on the end.  That, my friends is a near perfect album!  (Perfect would be all stereo!)

Why do you guys baleet tracks. Why. It's "Mama Says". It's not the 40 minute bull sessions with large father. At its very worst, it's inoffensive.

Tell me it's okay.
Tell me you still love me.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
ghost
« Reply #62 on: August 04, 2011, 11:34:44 PM »

Not everyone is as straight edge as you, Ryan.
Paulos
« Reply #63 on: August 05, 2011, 12:18:09 AM »

I think I must be the only person on this board that doesn't like Wild Honey, I must have listened to it 30 or more times and I simply don't get the fascination with it, to me it sounds lazy and like a demo. I do like Darlin', Country Air and Mama Says but that's it - songs like A Thing Or To and How She Boogaloed it make me cringe.
Pinder's Gone To Kokomo And Back Again
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: August 05, 2011, 01:17:20 AM »

My personal, PERFECT Wild Honey would be:

1. Wild Honey
2. Aren't You Glad
3. I Was Made To Love Her
4. Country Air
5. A Thing Or Two
6. Darlin
7. I'd Love Just Once To See You
8. Here Comes The Night
9. Let The Wind Blow
10. How She Boogalooed It
11. Mama Says
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: August 05, 2011, 08:03:51 AM »

So............the Wild Honey album in stereo. I've heard one fan mix in particular that is very good. Another guy did pretty good stereo versions of "Darlin' And Wild Honey". If we were to compile a true stereo version of the entire Wild Honey album, what tracks have already been released that we could start with? "Let The Wind Blow" is one.

And what's the reason again that a stereo version of the Wild Honey couldn't be mixed and released? Multi-tracks are missing, vocals were recorded on the fly, what? I think Alan Boyd touched on this once.

Anybody?
« Last Edit: August 05, 2011, 09:21:58 AM by Mikie » Logged

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #66 on: August 05, 2011, 08:09:05 AM »

My personal, PERFECT Wild Honey would be:

1. Wild Honey
2. Aren't You Glad
3. I Was Made To Love Her
4. Country Air
5. A Thing Or Two
6. Darlin
7. I'd Love Just Once To See You
8. Here Comes The Night
9. Let The Wind Blow
10. How She Boogalooed It
11. Mama Says

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: August 05, 2011, 08:12:31 AM »

Hey, that kinda looks like Christine McVie!
« Last Edit: August 05, 2011, 08:16:01 AM by Mikie » Logged

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #68 on: August 05, 2011, 09:04:06 AM »

Can I just thank Mikie for making me aware of fan stereo mixes of Wild Honey..

I'm in heaven right now  Grin

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #69 on: August 05, 2011, 09:08:39 AM »

Can I just thank Mikie for making me aware of fan stereo mixes of Wild Honey..

I'm in heaven right now  Grin
Same here, my one problem with Wild Honey has been it sounds so flat when I listen to it.

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #70 on: August 05, 2011, 09:20:47 AM »

Shady, when's the Smile box coming out?

Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #71 on: August 05, 2011, 09:50:35 AM »

Shady, when's the Smile box coming out?

Less than 2 months

October 4th  Grin

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #72 on: August 05, 2011, 09:57:30 AM »

Thank you, Shady!   Whew, I can't wait!!!

David Kennedy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #73 on: August 05, 2011, 11:42:07 AM »

I agree except for me it's Smiley Smile through In Concert. I also bust out Love You and Light Album a lot. I love to show people Pet Sounds and SMiLE if they have never heard them before.

Actually the 2 cds I play the most (in my car for instance) are Carl & The Passions So Tough and Heroes & Villains Sessions Vol 2 (which means I think I can get into that boxed set if you know what I mean!).

Since it is on-topic, I'll say my favorites on WH are "Aren't You Glad", "Darlin'", "Let The Wind Blow", "Country Air" and "Here Comes The Night". "A Thing Or Two" gets on my nerves in a way that only "Gettin' Hungry" matches. "Boogalood" should self-explode. I don't like Carl's voice on the title track. Other great tracks were made around this time ("Can't Wait Too Long", "Time To Get Alone", etc.) but instead we get "Mama Says" which is technically brilliant but probably got laughed at in the time it was released (late '67). Maybe Brian really DID need to just chill out and let his brothers write and produce more at the time.

With "Can't Wait Too Long" and "Time To Get Alone" being Wild Honey era tracks what are some other songs  that didn't get put on the album?
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #74 on: August 05, 2011, 12:03:02 PM »

The Letter, Game Of Love, Lonely Days, Honey Get Home, and maaaaybe Cool, Cool Water was considered. Hawthorne Boulavard was another maybe, but was more of a "Lei'd In Hawaii" track.

gfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 ... 12 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx