gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680747 Posts in 27613 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 19, 2024, 01:32:57 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Does Brian occationally still enjoy a spliff?  (Read 8009 times)
pixletwin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 03, 2011, 03:14:00 PM »

The Beatles

John Lennon
Paul McCartney
George Harrison
Ringo Starr

and for good measure... Pete Best and Stuart  Sutcliffe...

There doesn't seem to be any filter to me.  Huh
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 03, 2011, 03:42:01 PM »

Nah, it got removed. It cracked me up, as I'm a juvenile bastard at heart  Sad

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
roll plymouth rock
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: August 03, 2011, 03:55:45 PM »

Apparently Brian is pretty into desserts these days...

juggler
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 03, 2011, 05:10:02 PM »

Apparently Brian is pretty into desserts these days...

LOL  When was he NOT into desserts?  Okay, there was probably a period when Landy stopped him from eating cake, cookies, ice cream, etc., but can't imagine he ever lost the sweet tooth.

As for recreational drugs... geez, let's hope not.  It'd be the last thing he needs to mix with his mental health issues and psychotropic medication.
Amy B.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 03, 2011, 05:48:38 PM »

There's a whole thread with that stuff. Can't find it right now, but it definitely should be updated

This is an edit. There are others like it but this one is mine- here it is :  http://smileysmile.net/board/index.php/topic,9198.0.html

Ah, I forgot about that thread! Very entertaining.
stack-o-tracks
Smiley Smile Associate

The baker man

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: August 03, 2011, 06:20:41 PM »

A little misinformation going around this thread.... A spliff is actually a joint rolled with tobacco.  Cool Guy

In regards to that, I'd be down to smoke one with Brian. I doubt he smokes anymore but maybe we could vape sometime.

No mas, por favor.
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 03, 2011, 06:28:43 PM »

I would smoke with Brian and go to a music studio to see if SMiLE Brian reemerges one last time.

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 03, 2011, 07:14:54 PM »

I think I recall reading an article in maybe Rolling Stone a few years back where Brian drove with a journalist in Beverly Hills. In the piece, it wqas mentioned the two of them having Heinekens at dinner. I could be mixing up articles though.
I remember that too, and was going to post about it before I saw this. It was in Rolling Stone around the time of BWPS. I didn't know as much about Brian as I do now, but even then I remember thinking "Uh oh, that's probably not a good idea".

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
Jonas
Smiley Smile Associate

I've got the Beach Boys, my friends got the Stones

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 03, 2011, 08:10:20 PM »

a spliff? more like a spl

We would like to record under an atmosphere of calmness. - Brian Wilson
--
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g1IgXT3xFdU
Myk Luhv
Smiley Smile Associate

"...and I said, 'Oatmeal? Are you crazy?!'"

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 03, 2011, 08:38:35 PM »

Would I be able to get backstage if I brought a cake to one of his shows with the obvious intention of giving it to Brian? I could write "This cake's for you BRIAN WILSON" and hold it up randomly during the show!
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 04, 2011, 06:24:30 AM »

Would I be able to get backstage if I brought a cake to one of his shows with the obvious intention of giving it to Brian? I could write "This cake's for you BRIAN WILSON" and hold it up randomly during the show!
I was thinking about doing the same with my Ronettes album on vinyl.

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
ghost
« Reply #36 on: August 04, 2011, 06:24:53 AM »

Oh look, one of my deranged fans has brought me a home-made birthday cake...
Myk Luhv
Smiley Smile Associate

"...and I said, 'Oatmeal? Are you crazy?!'"

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 05, 2011, 07:51:46 AM »

Oh look, one of my deranged fans has brought me a home-made birthday cake...

Cannabutter-infused, natch!
Curtis Leon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 07, 2011, 07:08:50 AM »

It's really none of our business, is it? I would hope not personally, but it's neither up to me, nor is it up to anyone in the world besides Brian himself, perhaps his wife and managers as well.
Iron Horse-Apples
« Reply #39 on: August 07, 2011, 04:40:41 PM »

It's really none of our business, is it? I would hope not personally, but it's neither up to me, nor is it up to anyone in the world besides Brian himself, perhaps his wife and managers as well.

Perhaps his wife and managers as well.......classic. I love the fact you added that an afterthought.

The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: August 08, 2011, 02:05:20 AM »

I think I recall reading an article in maybe Rolling Stone a few years back where Brian drove with a journalist in Beverly Hills. In the piece, it wqas mentioned the two of them having Heinekens at dinner. I could be mixing up articles though.
I remember that too, and was going to post about it before I saw this. It was in Rolling Stone around the time of BWPS. I didn't know as much about Brian as I do now, but even then I remember thinking "Uh oh, that's probably not a good idea".

Same here. I seem to recall various brief snippets that mention him merrily opening a can of beer and stating: 'just the one', and I am inclined to believe this. I don't really believe the folk psychology wisdom that a former addict can never touch one drop again. If the basic reasons for abuse have been removed/overcome and maybe grieved about in proper fashion, and if that person has found new happiness in life (e.g. kids to care about), then there is no reason that he/she should go AWOL on drink again after a few sips.
Folk psychology often is total garbage.

80% Of Success Is Showing Up
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: August 08, 2011, 02:22:56 AM »

With Melinda and the kids around today, I doubt that Brian would go off the rails full tilt boogie like he did in the 1970's. But according to Brian himself, he did drink to excess. Especially around 1981-ish. But perhaps that might have been because Carl was gone.

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: August 08, 2011, 03:03:53 AM »

With Melinda and the kids around today, I doubt that Brian would go off the rails full tilt boogie like he did in the 1970's. But according to Brian himself, he did drink to excess. Especially around 1981-ish. But perhaps that might have been because Carl was gone.

Carl gone in 1981? Where to?

Anyway, Bri indeed seems to have imbibed enormous quantities of booze way back when. Ames Carlin somewhere writes about: 'rivers of alcohol', and in his purported autobiography, Brian talks about having drunk one cocktail after another in Australia (the infamous Sydney shows IIRC - Carl was audibly drunk also, as boots prove). Wouldn't be the only occasion where strong drink is used to ease the pain when other substances don't work that efficacious any more. Rickie Lee Jones admitted as much in a recent MOJO interview, she became an alcoholic when her heroin period was over.

drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: August 08, 2011, 03:08:42 AM »

Carl left to tour his solo album that year.

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
On Stage As It Is In Studio,
Give Us This Day, Our Shortenin' Bread
And Forgive Us Our Bootlegs,
As We Also Have Forgiven Our Wife And Managers,
And Lead Us Not Into Kokomo,
But Deliver Us From Mike Love.
Amen.  ---hypehat
The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: August 08, 2011, 03:39:10 AM »

Carl left to tour his solo album that year.

Ah, thanks. Much appreciated.

Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #45 on: August 08, 2011, 08:25:13 AM »

With Melinda and the kids around today, I doubt that Brian would go off the rails full tilt boogie like he did in the 1970's.

You mean like when Marilyn and the kids were around ? But I agree. I don't think Brian would get drunk or stoned or whatever today. If he did, his wife and doctors would react very quickly

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: August 08, 2011, 08:29:09 AM »

With Melinda and the kids around today, I doubt that Brian would go off the rails full tilt boogie like he did in the 1970's.

You mean like when Marilyn and the kids were around ? But I agree. I don't think Brian would get drunk or stoned or whatever today. If he did, his wife and doctors would react very quickly

Cheesy sharp reply, that. And you're right: he's been clean now for so long that he's learned to enjoy everyday life more, IMHO. And others are taking care of things that he doesn't like to handle. I bet that when he's not working, he really likes to act the couch potato and watch some TV, with a steak, or a pizza, or a large bowl of ice cream.

Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #47 on: August 08, 2011, 10:01:52 AM »

I don't really believe the folk psychology wisdom that a former addict can never touch one drop again. If the basic reasons for abuse have been removed/overcome and maybe grieved about in proper fashion, and if that person has found new happiness in life (e.g. kids to care about), then there is no reason that he/she should go AWOL on drink again after a few sips.

Not in my case. I know that if I have one, I'll have another, and another... because I like the taste and the effect it has on me and because that's what happens when I like something - I want more. I have an addictive personality. And if I do that, I'd give myself maybe six months.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
ghost
« Reply #48 on: August 08, 2011, 10:38:55 AM »

I don't really believe the folk psychology wisdom that a former addict can never touch one drop again. If the basic reasons for abuse have been removed/overcome and maybe grieved about in proper fashion, and if that person has found new happiness in life (e.g. kids to care about), then there is no reason that he/she should go AWOL on drink again after a few sips.

Not in my case. I know that if I have one, I'll have another, and another... because I like the taste and the effect it has on me and because that's what happens when I like something - I want more. I have an addictive personality. And if I do that, I'd give myself maybe six months.

High time you switched to a monthly mushroom trip, friend. Like Brian recommends in Do You Like Worms? Which means, do you enjoy seeing worms while mushroom picking? Worms are the guardians of the mushrooms like the nagas guarded the Prajnaparamitas. It would be incorrect of me to say that this wasn't not a sole in the sun.

Smilin Ed H
« Reply #49 on: August 08, 2011, 11:35:47 AM »

The only 'sole is the one your head's up.
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx