gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 11:38:30 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Al's song to the Eternal master  (Read 16867 times)
Mr. Cohen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 01, 2011, 01:54:46 PM »

Who cares who wrote the lyrics? I don't know why Beach Boys fans - of ALL people - get upset if the lyrics are corny. This reminds me of some Friends era simplicity, or the Fleet Foxes. Get Brian & MIke on this!
Mike's Beard
Smiley Smile Associate

Check your privilege. Love & Mercy guys!

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 01, 2011, 03:15:01 PM »

Al should start his own cult out at Red Barn giving environmental sermons and singalongs.

Jardinetown?

"The Jardine Family". Al starts off all peace loving but after a year or so starts ordering people to be killed, beginning with Mike Love.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2011, 03:24:25 PM by Bing Crosby's reflection » Logged

I'd rather be forced to sleep with Caitlyn Jenner then ever have to listen to NPP again.
Jason
« Reply #27 on: July 01, 2011, 03:46:49 PM »

Al should start his own cult out at Red Barn giving environmental sermons and singalongs.

Jardinetown?

"The Jardine Family". Al starts off all peace loving but after a year or so starts ordering people to be killed, beginning with Mike Love.

Nah, Jardinetown works better. It'll be a small colony in Papua New Guinea.
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 01, 2011, 04:27:55 PM »

Jardine shall be the tallest man on said island, and the national anthem will bear a striking resemblance to a Kingston Trio number.

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
Mike's Beard
Smiley Smile Associate

Check your privilege. Love & Mercy guys!

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 01, 2011, 04:57:29 PM »

And when the moon turns blood red Al shall wrestle a goat.

I'd rather be forced to sleep with Caitlyn Jenner then ever have to listen to NPP again.
cutterschoice
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: July 01, 2011, 05:50:26 PM »

I dunno about you guys, but after hearing that song... I love the Supreme Master!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Umd0TbZuIGg#t=06m49s

Smilin Ed H
« Reply #31 on: July 02, 2011, 02:29:51 AM »

Could be worse - he could've hooked up with some right-wing nut job preacher... Razz
WaxOn
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 03, 2011, 09:46:38 AM »

I'm no KT aficionado, but that sure sounds familiar.  Grin

Familiar yes, it's the sound of a hundred cats set on fire and being raped by chainsaws.

Time to go start marinading the baby harp seals for tomorrow's BBQ. Thumbs Up
WaxOn
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 03, 2011, 12:27:45 PM »

Jardinetown?

I think we're really just a pair of aviator sunglasses away.
Jason
« Reply #34 on: July 03, 2011, 12:29:52 PM »

Jardinetown?

YES! And then we'll really have world peace.
Magic Transistor Radio
Smiley Smile Associate

Bill Cooper Mystery Babylon

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 03, 2011, 12:50:22 PM »

It sounds like The Night Was So Young from Love You.

"Over the years, I've been accused of not supporting our new music from this era (67-73) and just wanting to play our hits. That's complete b.s......I was also, as the front man, the one promoting these songs onstage and have the scars to show for it."
Mike Love autobiography (pg 242-243)
WaxOn
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 03, 2011, 12:55:52 PM »

Jardinetown?
YES! And then we'll really have world peace.

The Summer of Blood™

Bow down to the Eternal Master!
Nothing is so peaceful as the dead.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2011, 12:57:50 PM by WaxOn » Logged
Matt J
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 11, 2011, 01:00:41 AM »

Pretty sad to see the mean-spirited comments here. Granted, the Eternal Ballad song is not one of our shining moments, & we knew this going in. This was for a private event & we were hired to perform this poem to music.  Now, I'm tempted to add a comment of my own concerning some of you that posted below. But I'll keep my feelings in check & not air it out where the whole friggin' world can see it. 
Loaf
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: July 11, 2011, 01:15:15 AM »

Pretty sad to see the mean-spirited comments here. Granted, the Eternal Ballad song is not one of our shining moments, & we knew this going in. This was for a private event & we were hired to perform this poem to music.  Now, I'm tempted to add a comment of my own concerning some of you that posted below. But I'll keep my feelings in check & not air it out where the whole friggin' world can see it. 

Being hired to play a song is one thing, but was Al paid to give it such fulsome praise afterwards?

And why lend support to such a shitty cult/organisation? If your support is purely mercenary, i could understand it from that point of view, but you must accept that you are also associating yourself with the people behind it all.

I expected better from Al & Family.
SloopJohnB
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #39 on: July 11, 2011, 01:18:25 AM »

Hello Matt! Nice to see you posting on the board, even if it's in this thread  LOL Honestly, I don't think you should take it personally - this is the internet, no one likes anything. Hell, some people will find a way to complain about the forthcoming Smile boxset.  Wink

I don't know where, but their music sends me there
Pleasure Island!!!!!!! and a slice of cheese pizza.
brother john
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #40 on: July 11, 2011, 02:49:35 AM »

Christ! What the fnck has happened to Al Jardine's brain?

Has he had a face job? I don't know, but he's clearly had his ears massively enlarged, no doubt in order to tune in to the celestial message. Jesus, you could get HBO on those jugs.

Religion is a privilege, not a right.
brother john
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #41 on: July 11, 2011, 03:00:13 AM »

I see with some relief that tucking your shirt in has come back in again. 

Al's voice is still quite attractive, but those boys... No wonder the Supreme Master looked bemused during Je Voyage, je voyage et voyage.

Religion is a privilege, not a right.
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: July 11, 2011, 04:26:26 AM »

Perhaps some of the comments read as mean but while fans might be mean at times to their heroes, they remain fans.

My own earlier comments will appear mean and I therefore humbly and sincerely apologise. For what it's worth, Al's music in particular drew me from the UK to California to see the place for myself and I'll be forever in his debt for that – I'd never have been to Big Sur and Monterey without that inspiration.

That said, as others have intimated, this gig and the endorsement doesn't come across well at all and seems to have been a result of poor judgement. But we all make errors of judgement, even the British Prime Minister.

“We live in divisive times.”
smile-holland
Smiley Smile Associate

The dream of Amsterdamee...

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: July 11, 2011, 04:33:01 AM »

If I may jump in here for a moment (and of course I may):

We're all members of this messageboard for a good reason: we love this band, and therefore (at least for the most part) their music and solo efforts. And maybe not everything, which is fine as we all have different tastes. And we don't have to agree with every (musical) move they make. But at the end the Beach Boys / Brian / Al / whoever can perfectly make decisions on their own, based on what they like to do best, or what they think feels right to do. We don't have to do that for them (better not, seeing the broad variety of opinions they'd get crazy!).
“We fans” don’t always agree with that. No problem, nothing new, would be a boring world if we all did. But we can at least try to respect their choices, even if we disagree strongly. Which for example means that there are more subtle (and constructive) ways of criticizing.
Yeah, I know, it's the SmileySmile-board and all, what else is new...

@ Matt J.: thanks for replying. We can’t be reminded enough of the fact that The Beach Boys in fact read messageboard like this one. Apologies if we crossed any boundaries.

@ Brother John, could you tell me exactly what your response on Al’s ears had to do with this topic? If it’s the aging process: that’ll happen to you and me as well...

Rule of thumb, think BEFORE you post. And THINK how it may affect someone else's feelings.

Check out the Beach Boys Starline website, the place for pictures of many countries Beach Boys releases on 45.

Listening to you I get the music; Gazing at you I get the heat; Following you I climb the mountain; I get excitement at your feet
Right behind you I see the millions; On you I see the glory; From you I get opinions; From you I get the story
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: July 11, 2011, 04:43:14 AM »

Yeah Brother John, writing two quite insulting posts about Al and his sons in quick succession after Matt has posted (something he rarely does!) saying that he's offended by the nature of this thread comes across as crass and not exactly good hearted. Even if they're not deadly serious, which will probably be your defense.

And I know I had my $0.02 in the thread, but c'mon.

Accursed wordfilter! An addendum to my mornings post, which reads....

God, was I cranky this afternoon. All I meant was, not the best time for a joke, bud.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2011, 11:05:52 AM by hypehat » Logged

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: July 11, 2011, 06:02:53 AM »

If i offended the Jardine family with my comments about this gig then i apologise fully.

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
onkster
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: July 11, 2011, 08:53:16 AM »

Once again, this board is getting ugly instead of being interesting and fun.

Posters, is it really worth it to you to stroke your own egos with such crassness? I thought we had standards here about trolls and flaming.

This was once one of the few harbors from the usual internet crumminess--I would like to think that it can be once again.

And I'll say it again: let's not turn into the friggin' "910".
WaxOn
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: July 11, 2011, 10:48:01 AM »

I'll happily apologize as I was only gently ribbing - you know some of us despise Al enough to have bought A Postcard from California and enjoy it!
I meant nothing mean spirited, and I don't think (really) most of the folks here did either.
onkster
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: July 11, 2011, 11:38:20 AM »

I dunno. Some of the stuff I saw didn't look like "gentle ribbing", almost straight out of the gate.

Yeah, I know about "honesty" and all that crap, but there is such a thing as diplomacy too. And gentlemanly behavior. Disregard for real peoples' feelings ignores both.

"Take the fruit, and let the chaff be still."  Not a quote from a cult or religion, but Chaucer.

But I guess this is still all part of the giant mud-puddle that is the Internet, huh?
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: July 11, 2011, 12:06:43 PM »

Yes yes, I luv how people are backstroking now for their comments; from fear of?

I stand behind everything I said.

Nothing I post is my opinion, it's all a message from God
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx