gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680601 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 29, 2024, 08:16:13 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Brian Movie Bio Announced.  (Read 30990 times)
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: June 23, 2011, 04:25:10 PM »

Just in!

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/movies/2011/06/brian-wilson-movie-pet-sounds-moverman-wells-pohlad-beach-boys-smile.html

EXCLUSIVE: There are few 20th century music figures as compelling as Brian Wilson. The former Beach Boys producer-singer had a profound effect on a generation of artists and a rich and complicated personal life even by pop-icon standards. Now it looks like his tale will be dramatized on the big screen.

"The Tree of Life" producer Bill Pohlad and veteran television writer and producer John Wells (“ER,’ “The West Wing”) have teamed to develop a drama based on Wilson's personal and professional story. They've acquired life rights from Wilson and his wife, Melinda, and hired Oren Moverman, the Oscar-nominated screenwriter behind the offbeat Bob Dylan film "I'm Not There," to write a script.

(Wilson was the subject of a documentary, the black-and-white "I Just Wasn't Made for These Times" directed by musician and record producer Don Was in the mid-1990s.)

Wilson's arc is too complex to describe in a few neat sentences, but the short version, if you're not familiar with it, is this: Barely out of his teens, the Southern Californian burst on the music scene as the creative driving force of the Beach Boys. That band produced hits such as"Surfin' U.S.A.," "I Get Around" and "California Girls." Their 1966 album "Pet Sounds," with its unconventional instruments, harmonies and sound effects put together by Wilson, is widely regarded among pop's most important records. 

But things went downhill from there, particularly after an ambitious project called "Smile" was scrapped in 1967. Wilson grappled with all sorts of demons throughout the 1970s and 1980s, including substance abuse and a mental illness.

During that time, he also came under the care of a controversial and Svengali-like doctor named Eugene Landy, who was credited with both rehabbing the musician and ruining him further. Wilson would eventually return to health and has cut several new albums in recent years. He's on tour and celebrated his 69th birthday Monday.

While the filmmakers have yet to decide which periods of Wilson's life their as-yet-untitled movie will focus on, they say they will home in on specific eras instead of retracing the musician's entire life. "I have no interest in making a biopic," Pohlad told 24 Frames. "What's fascinating to me is to look at the different elements in his life, like that super-creative period when he was doing 'Pet Sounds' and the later part when he was redeemed." The Landy era could be a subject as well, Pohlad said.

While filmmakers are far from hiring actors, Pohlad said he could imagine a number of possibilities, including the idea that different stars could be brought on to play Wilson (at various points in his life, not in the vein of "I'm Not There," where multiple actors portrayed different Dylan phases).

Rights to many of Wilson's songs have been secured — producers are working closely with Wilson and wife Melinda — but Pohlad said the tunes will inform the story, not dominate it. "We're not thinking about this as the hit parade — that would be the biopic thing," he said.

Pohlad is no stranger to based-on-real-life stories, having produced films such as "Fair Game" and "Into the Wild."  Moverman, meanwhile, seems to be honing a specialty in portraying complicated musicians — in addition to writing "I'm Not There," he is developing a film at Universal about Kurt Cobain. (Moverman made his directorial debut in 2009 with the well-regarded military drama "The Messenger.")

While music biopics along these lines have been successful — James Mangold's Johnny Cash tale "Walk The Line" comes to mind — producers see the Wilson movie less as a music picture than as a kind of tuneful  "A Beautiful Mind," exploring the intersection of genius and madness.

"You don't have to know the music here in the same way you didn't have to know the math in 'Beautiful Mind,' " Pohlad said. "What we want to do is let you experience the story in a personal way."

— Steven Zeitchik

« Last Edit: June 23, 2011, 04:28:27 PM by TheOther Anonymous » Logged
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2011, 04:41:38 PM »

Early plus's.

Liked 'Into the wild'.
Brians music ok'd for movie but does that include BB's music?
Use of several actors to cover his life. More realistic and may limit the use of bad beards and make-up.

Will follow progress with interest.
southisland
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2011, 05:12:49 PM »

let the wild speculation begin.

well oh my oh gosh oh gee
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2011, 05:17:41 PM »

This should be fun. Just don't cast Cate blanchett as Brian.

Seriously though, imagine this film ends up great, wins lots of Oscars etc, would be fantastic.

Looks like the Beach Boys discussion is not ending any time soon, it's gonna be a fun time on here

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
Runaways
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2011, 05:21:01 PM »

this is great!  quality people doing it.  Jeff Bridges will surely play an old brian.

diablo cody just let out a NOOOO
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2011, 05:22:41 PM »

diablo cody just let out a NOOOO

Ah, No. Poor Diablo

They should cast AGD as Jeff Bridges stand in for some scenes. lol

Chris Brown
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2011, 05:45:08 PM »

Sounds promising thus far, although I'd still be surprised if it actually makes it to the big screen.  We all hope that this film will be fantastic and will captivate audiences, win Oscars, etc., but I think just getting it made at all will be an achievement.
Les P
Smiley Smile Associate

Cheese Pizza and Apple Pie

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2011, 05:49:51 PM »

Sounds promising thus far, although I'd still be surprised if it actually makes it to the big screen.  We all hope that this film will be fantastic and will captivate audiences, win Oscars, etc., but I think just getting it made at all will be an achievement.

Agree.  I would love to see a well-done bio of Brian get made.  But it seems that so many have been announced and never been heard of again.  Plus there is always the litigation potential within the BB camp... But Al is singing with Mike again, apparently they have sung "Do It Again" in the studio together, so who knows, maybe there's a new spirit of cooperation that would allow a good product to be made.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2011, 05:50:54 PM by Les P » Logged
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2011, 05:50:31 PM »

'Brian' just tweeted it, so i guess that means it's supported and publicised and thus further along than some projects have been....

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
18thofMay
Smiley Smile Associate

Goin to the beach

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2011, 06:02:30 PM »

I hope they get Bill involved with the script! Grin
Tis a great time to be BB fan!!

It’s like he hired a fashion consultant and told her to make him look “punchable.”
Some Guy, 2012
"Donald Trump makes Mike Love look like an asshole"
Me ,2015.
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 23, 2011, 06:03:31 PM »

What a great time to be a Beach Boys fan. Look at all the goodies coming out of the woodwork within the last year!

I really hope this movie sheds light to the masses that 'Good Vibrations' and 'Kokomo' aren't the only two great songs The Beach Boys put out.

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
Runaways
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 23, 2011, 06:36:45 PM »

What a great time to be a Beach Boys fan. Look at all the goodies coming out of the woodwork within the last year!

I really hope this movie sheds light to the masses that 'Good Vibrations' and 'Kokomo' aren't the only two great songs The Beach Boys put out.

it won't hit the general masses, but with the people involved, it should get plenty of press in movie land.  hopefully some academy award nominations
Chocolate Shake Man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 23, 2011, 06:39:03 PM »

I'm Not There was, perhaps, the best movie of the past 10 years. If this ends up anywhere near that league, I will only be happy.
oldsurferdude
« Reply #13 on: June 23, 2011, 06:50:34 PM »

K o k o m o?HuhHuhWhatever! Angry Wall  Shocked Roll Eyes Shocked Roll Eyes
Mark Dillon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 23, 2011, 06:51:14 PM »

Remember the one Brian and Landy were going to do? William Hurt as Brian and Richard Dreyfuss as Landy…

Alan: “God forbid any other Beach Boys go up onstage and actually be a Beach Boy.”
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 23, 2011, 08:19:21 PM »

Much more detailed article with interesting quotes

http://collider.com/oren-moverman-brian-wilson-biopic/98415/

This is a biopic, by definition, but Pohlad says we’re not supposed to call it that:

“I have no interest in making a biopic. What’s fascinating to me is to look at the different elements in his life, like that super-creative period when he was doing Pet Sounds and the later part when he was redeemed.”

Emdeeh
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 23, 2011, 08:21:43 PM »

OH... NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!

Biopics = Dead Horse (imho)
MBE
« Reply #17 on: June 23, 2011, 08:37:10 PM »

Man I already think it's gonna suck on the post Smile pre Endless Summer period.
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 23, 2011, 09:05:55 PM »

and to think Brian has to leave his Euro tour to start pre-production on this!

Nothing I post is my opinion, it's all a message from God
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 23, 2011, 09:42:16 PM »

Uh-oh! Movie of the week time. Ahhh!

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/river-road-prepping-brian-wilson-205150

River Road said film will take an unconventional look at Wilson's unique musical process as well as his struggles with mental illness, and how he managed to persevere as an artist with the love and support of his wife Melinda.
Dunderhead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 23, 2011, 09:58:48 PM »

I hope they make this movie like PI, and have Brian anxiously avoiding Phil Spector's hit squads.

TEAM COHEN; OFFICIAL CAPTAIN (2013-)
slp22
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 23, 2011, 10:15:41 PM »

Whatever happened to the Dennis Wilson Biopic in the making that we heard of around the beginning of this year?
slp22
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 23, 2011, 10:19:36 PM »

I'll believe this stuff when it's actually got a release date. Until then, i hope it doesn't  dissolve like the DW Biopic.
WWDWD?
Smiley Smile Associate

What would Dennis Wilson do?

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 23, 2011, 10:27:23 PM »

I like the idea of focusing on one specific period. There are so many to choose from. I think it would make for a great film. I really enjoyed Nowhere Boy about John Lennon's childhood.
Imagine an entire film based on the period in and around the Holland period. That could be really interesting. I am already picturing scenes with Brian staring blankly at his hotel room wall in Holland. It may sound like watching paint dry to some though.
WWDWD?
Smiley Smile Associate

What would Dennis Wilson do?

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 23, 2011, 10:28:15 PM »

Uh-oh! Movie of the week time. Ahhh!

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/river-road-prepping-brian-wilson-205150

River Road said film will take an unconventional look at Wilson's unique musical process as well as his struggles with mental illness, and how he managed to persevere as an artist with the love and support of his wife Melinda.

That sounds GROSS!
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx