gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680840 Posts in 27616 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 26, 2024, 02:58:04 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Not sure how to feel about this news  (Read 10699 times)
shadownoze
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: June 20, 2011, 01:04:46 PM »

Just found on Movieline's site:
Diablo Cody’s dream writing project is a biopic of Brian Wilson
Cody said she hadn’t begun a script “even in terms of research” about the fabled Beach Boys frontman, but it’d be her dream assignment. That confession isn’t much of a surprise considering she met her first husband on a message board for diehard Beach Boys fans (as chronicled in her 2006 memoir Candy Girl), and she once blogged about meeting the rock legend himself.
stack-o-tracks
Smiley Smile Associate

The baker man

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2011, 01:15:24 PM »

I know how I feel about that news. Icky.

No mas, por favor.
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2011, 01:16:37 PM »

The woman behind Juno..

Oh god

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
Jason
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2011, 02:01:15 PM »

No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No.

I'm almost completely against this.
pixletwin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2011, 02:07:07 PM »

Just "almost"?  LOL
FUN³
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2011, 02:41:30 PM »

she'll turn it into pure indie hipster shite.  she should back to what she was good at, stripping.  i dont really know much about her, but i'm not gonna lie, i'd hit that sh*t. i bet she's pretty cool, she used to dj in iowa city!

"She's an overpriced call girl who got lucky once."

"I... envy the tattoo artist who had that huge canvas of arm fat to work with"
                                                                                                       ~stewie
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2011, 03:00:26 PM »

I've made a bit of a turn on this, Yes I hate her movies..

But she is a HUGE beach boys fan, on her itunes playlist she chose "The Trader" and "You need a mess of help"

Also, this is a funny quote

"2. She’s really into the Beach Boys.
3. To the point where she knows where Brian Wilson eats breakfast in Bel-Air."

Grin Maybe she will do Brian justice

bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2011, 03:01:48 PM »

I say, what the heck!  Let them that wants to write about Brian write em. Maybe it'll turn out swell. Maybe it'll make Brian more $$. Maybe we'll all be better for it.
Maybe not.

Nothing I post is my opinion, it's all a message from God
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2011, 03:30:07 PM »

3. To the point where she knows where Brian Wilson eats breakfast in Bel-Air."

That's not classified news any more, nor has been for maybe five years.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2011, 03:40:17 PM »

Out of curiousity, why?

edit

Well, except Jennifer's Body...LOL
« Last Edit: June 20, 2011, 03:41:55 PM by ╭∩╮(︶︿︶)╭∩╮ » Logged

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Jason
« Reply #10 on: June 20, 2011, 03:47:08 PM »

Out of curiousity, why?

edit

Nice recovery.
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 20, 2011, 03:47:46 PM »

Out of curiousity, why?

edit

Never seen that movie but I do like Megan Fox  Grin

Anyway after a google she is a legit Beach Boys fan, not just the hits but her favourite album is  Carl and the passions, what more can we ask for than  a real Beach Boys fan behind the camera and script for a Brian biopic

monicker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 20, 2011, 03:51:14 PM »

I am TERRIFIED of her doing this. I pray she won’t do it. I almost feel compelled to write her and beg her not to do it, though that’ll probably backfire by giving her more incentive to do it. Does she read the board these days? ARE YOU READING THIS "DIABLO"? DO NOT DO THIS FOR THE LOVE OF ALL THAT IS GOOD IN THE WORLD.

Uhm, also, according to this site, she married Jon Hunt. What? http://www.nndb.com/people/813/000165318/

Don't be eccentric, this is a BEACH BOYS forum, for God's sake!
GuyOnTheBeach
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 20, 2011, 03:58:48 PM »

I say give it a chance, no one is better than screwing up The Beach Boys than The Beach Boys so maybe this wouldn't be all bad.

That said, I can see it now, I'm betting Marylin would be played by Megan Fox or someone of the like, Brian by some overrated actor who got where he is as a result of his looks, or if it's set in the mid-late 70's, Zach Galifianakis.

There would be lawsuits, or blocks.

We'll see.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2011, 03:59:48 PM by GuyOnTheBeach » Logged
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 20, 2011, 04:05:04 PM »

Yep. Diablo is -- in a way -- the mother-in-law of this board's predecessor.

She wrote "Juno" while still married to Jon Hunt, I believe. He's written about reading the script in progress.

The connections made in this world are very strange.
Mr. Cohen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 20, 2011, 05:23:21 PM »

I think a good movie on Brian would have to focus mainly on just a couple of years. When you try to span a decade or more of his life in one movie, you get grossly simplified versions of the events that do great injustices to the complexity of the characters involved. I think a movie that starts shortly before he first took acid and ends at the dissolution of the Smile project would be perfect. Imagine, after all the craziness, a closing scene of Brian in mid-1967 by himself playing the chords of "Cool, Cool Water", humming.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2011, 05:27:02 PM by Dada » Logged
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 20, 2011, 05:54:42 PM »

Roll Eyes

Well who the sh*t do you want to make a Beach Boys film?

Hardcore Dennis fans threaten to make a film called 'The Drummer'? - board says no.

A member of the touring band for 20 years threatens to produce a film with exclusive BB's content - Board says No.

A self-proclaimed hardcore Beach Boys fanatic says her dream, and only her dream, is to make a Brian biopic - Board says no, but still would bang.

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 20, 2011, 06:08:27 PM »

A self-proclaimed hardcore Beach Boys fanatic says her dream, and only her dream, is to make a Brian biopic - Board says no, but still would bang.

LOL LOL

Chris Brown
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 20, 2011, 06:13:34 PM »

She's clearly passionate about the subject, so what would be so bad about her taking a shot at it?  Even if you don't like her work, it's a little ridiculous to shoot the idea down sight unseen.  Who knows, she might even surprise people and come up with something great.  Better her than someone who only does it because some studio thought it might be a good/marketable idea!

I do agree with DaDa though, a focus on a small time frame would be best.  Only thing is though, in order to satisfy movie-goers, you couldn't end on a dark note (no pun intended) like Smile's collapse - you'd have to add a nice little coda about how he triumphantly finished it, and that would ultimately require some mention/summary of the intervening years.

Whoever tries to pen a great Brian Wilson movie has got their work cut out for them, no doubt - I just think we should let it happen before prematurely ripping it to shreds.
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 20, 2011, 06:24:35 PM »

Roll Eyes

Well who the merda do you want to make a Beach Boys film?

Hardcore Dennis fans threaten to make a film called 'The Drummer'? - board says no.

A member of the touring band for 20 years threatens to produce a film with exclusive BB's content - Board says No.

I agree. I know 100% of us would never be 100% satisfied with a Beach Boys motion picture, but it should be done. Any publicity on the music is fine by me....and when it gets down to it: it's ALL about the music. The more people that discover Pet Sounds the better off this world will be....IMHO.

I hope she goes through with it.

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 20, 2011, 06:36:59 PM »

She's clearly passionate about the subject, so what would be so bad about her taking a shot at it?  Even if you don't like her work, it's a little ridiculous to shoot the idea down sight unseen.  Who knows, she might even surprise people and come up with something great.  Better her than someone who only does it because some studio thought it might be a good/marketable idea!

I do agree with DaDa though, a focus on a small time frame would be best.  Only thing is though, in order to satisfy movie-goers, you couldn't end on a dark note (no pun intended) like Smile's collapse - you'd have to add a nice little coda about how he triumphantly finished it, and that would ultimately require some mention/summary of the intervening years.

Whoever tries to pen a great Brian Wilson movie has got their work cut out for them, no doubt - I just think we should let it happen before prematurely ripping it to shreds.

Taking it there: Given the option, would you rather have a biopic written by Diablo Cody or John Stamos?

Nothing I post is my opinion, it's all a message from God
Mike's Beard
Smiley Smile Associate

Check your privilege. Love & Mercy guys!

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 20, 2011, 06:45:05 PM »

Nothing in Hollywood is ever 100% accurate but Taylor Hackford did a fantastic job with Ray. That's the kind of film the BB's story deserves, not some monkeygarbage indie 'hip' flick or shitty tv movie.

I'd rather be forced to sleep with Caitlyn Jenner then ever have to listen to NPP again.
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 20, 2011, 06:53:23 PM »

Nothing in Hollywood is ever 100% accurate but Taylor Hackford did a fantastic job with Ray. That's the kind of film the BB's story deserves, not some monkeygarbage indie 'hip' flick or shitty tv movie.

I think we had a good thread a while back about who we'd want directing a Beach Boys film. I forget who I wrote down at this point...but i'd love to see Ron Howard direct that kind of a film. I'd also love to see an HBO miniseries devoted to the entirety of the Beach Boys 60s career.

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
Chris Brown
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 20, 2011, 07:02:43 PM »

I think we had a good thread a while back about who we'd want directing a Beach Boys film. I forget who I wrote down at this point...but i'd love to see Ron Howard direct that kind of a film. I'd also love to see an HBO miniseries devoted to the entirety of the Beach Boys 60s career.

I agree, a mini-series would be the most ideal platform to tell a decent amount of story.  Tom Hanks has done some good stuff in that area, and I'm pretty sure he's a fan, so who knows.  I don't really care who does it as long as it gets done right - a tall order, no doubt.
FUN³
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 20, 2011, 07:29:09 PM »

Roll Eyes

Well who the merda do you want to make a Beach Boys film?

diablo? is that you?

im not interested in banging stamos at this time, so what remains on the pantheon of bangable directors is severly lacking. i in this respect, im gonna make a turn  and state my approval of diablo's dream.

and ron howard? no way, i guess that would work but he's a little too heavyhanded for my tastes. wonder what cameron crowe would do with it?
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx