gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680840 Posts in 27616 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 26, 2024, 04:39:34 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 ... 19 Go Down Print
Author Topic: MOJO Special Spolier  (Read 86088 times)
Dove Nested Towers
Smiley Smile Associate

Goodnight, Mrs. Calabash, wherever you are!

View Profile
« Reply #75 on: June 13, 2011, 12:00:35 AM »

A PM would also be welcomed and appreciated hereabouts, from any generous soul! Then if I can just figure it out from there....

"The police aren't there to create disorder,
they're there to preserve disorder!" -Mayor
Daly, Chicago 1968
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #76 on: June 13, 2011, 12:08:32 AM »

Cool to hear Linett's done new mixes of these.

Do we know for sure these are new mixes? I hope Wonderful isn't just the box set mix with some yodel lay hee hoo background vocals flown in.

Hello, but I do believe that's exactly what I said it was. Y'know, if folk don't bother to read posts, is there any point actually posting here ? Post #43 at 7.25pm (my time) yesterday.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #77 on: June 13, 2011, 12:09:33 AM »

how's it sound fellas

Pretty good, pretty crisp, but audible surface noise.

buddhahat
Smiley Smile Associate

Hi, my name's Doug. Would you like to dance?

View Profile
« Reply #78 on: June 13, 2011, 12:12:41 AM »

Sounding good to my ears, and I love the added yodel bvs.

Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes ......
Loaf
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #79 on: June 13, 2011, 01:20:29 AM »

So do we think these mixes are going to be on the boxset? Or is this a MOJO-only thing?

Does that mean that Carl's 1968 vocals are being included?
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #80 on: June 13, 2011, 01:29:03 AM »

So do we think these mixes are going to be on the boxset? Or is this a MOJO-only thing?

Well... good question: given that aside for that maybe five seconds of additional bvs and "CE" being mono (which is something only the likes of us would even notice), they're versions readily available since 1993, I'd doubt it's a Mojo exclusive. But, to be honest, I have no idea.

The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #81 on: June 13, 2011, 01:34:27 AM »

Well... good question: given that aside for that maybe five seconds of additional bvs and "CE" being mono (which is something only the likes of us would even notice), they're versions readily available since 1993, I'd doubt it's a Mojo exclusive. But, to be honest, I have no idea.

I'd guess they're box set tracks, else why issue these mixes now, in this way? We've suspected there'll be a dearth of mind-blowing new material -  it's subtle things like this which will ensure we BriHeads will buy the box. This is their way of saying there's gonna be some fresh-to-us material.

What gets me is why Mojo? Isn't there an equivalent mag in the US?

“We live in divisive times.”
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #82 on: June 13, 2011, 01:40:22 AM »

I'd guess they're box set tracks, else why issue these mixes now, in this way? We've suspected there'll be a dearth of mind-blowing new material -  it's subtle things like this which will ensure we BriHeads will buy the box. This is their way of saying there's gonna be some fresh-to-us material.

What gets me is why Mojo? Isn't there an equivalent mag in the US?

Mojo is highly regarded in the US... although now it's taken to printing articles using quotes from a book that's been discredited for some 19 years, that might take a bit of a kick.

Paul2010
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #83 on: June 13, 2011, 01:40:56 AM »

I'm following this thread for some time now, and I'd love to have a PM as well!
buddhahat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #84 on: June 13, 2011, 01:42:27 AM »

It's anyone's guess but I suspect these will be the box mixes. If they are predominately the same mixes that we know, but in uniformly consistent mono and with the occasional subtle enhancements such as the yodel bvs, I'll be very happy with that.

I wonder if they'll be one ace up the sleeve though. I am hoping for a H&V discovery. Perhaps a mix based on stuff heard on Mike/Bruce/Al's acetates. That would be sweet but, again, I won't be holding my breath.

Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes ......
Ebb and Flow
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #85 on: June 13, 2011, 01:46:06 AM »

Cabin Essence is not just a simple fold down of the 20-20 version.  The lead vocal is single tracked except for the "Home on the range..." portion.  Something sounds a bit different about the chorus as well, but I'm not positive. 

Though we don't know exactly what tapes they have/don't have...they could have made this mix from the 20-20 master, leaving out one of the stereo channels in portions to create a new mix.

Wonderful sounds almost exactly like the GV box set version except for the yodeling vocals, which have only been bootlegged without the lead vocal and in so-so quality.  This is definitely something new, derived from new or previously unreleased elements.
desmondo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #86 on: June 13, 2011, 01:47:49 AM »

According to the sleeve both tracks are from the Box Set

Cheers

Richard
buddhahat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #87 on: June 13, 2011, 01:51:01 AM »

Cabin Essence is not just a simple fold down of the 20-20 version.  The lead vocal is single tracked except for the "Home on the range..." portion.  Something sounds a bit different about the chorus as well, but I'm not positive. 

Though we don't know exactly what tapes they have/don't have...they could have made this mix from the 20-20 master, leaving out one of the stereo channels in portions to create a new mix.

Wonderful sounds almost exactly like the GV box set version except for the yodeling vocals, which have only been bootlegged without the lead vocal and in so-so quality.  This is definitely something new, derived from new or previously unreleased elements.

have to say, the Cabinessence chorus sounds different to my ears also and struck me immediately but haven't compared yet.

desmondo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #88 on: June 13, 2011, 01:53:17 AM »

have to say, the Cabinessence chorus sounds different to my ears also and struck me immediately but haven't compared yet.

Yes me too

Cheers

Richard
desmondo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #89 on: June 13, 2011, 01:53:50 AM »

The Smile you send out returns to you - hopefully

Cheers

Richard
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #90 on: June 13, 2011, 01:54:46 AM »

Cabin Essence is not just a simple fold down of the 20-20 version.  The lead vocal is single tracked except for the "Home on the range..." portion.  Something sounds a bit different about the chorus as well, but I'm not positive.  

Wonderful sounds almost exactly like the GV box set version except for the yodeling vocals, which have only been bootlegged without the lead vocal and in so-so quality.  This is definitely something new, derived from new or previously unreleased elements.

First time I've heard it in mono, other than that sounds exactly the same to me.

Listening again, yes, single lead and Mike's "Iron Horse" chorus vocal is pushed up a notch, and the "Truck drivin man'" vocal is also more up front and with a tad of reverb. I'm a technical ignoramus - could it just be one channel of the 20/20 stereo version ?

Just tried a hard left pan - sounds awfully like what's on the Mojo single. Anyone else care to try it and then tell me I've got cloth ears ?  Grin
« Last Edit: June 13, 2011, 02:05:38 AM by Andrew G. Doe » Logged

desmondo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #91 on: June 13, 2011, 02:03:01 AM »

BACK COVER

[attachment deleted by admin]

Cheers

Richard
desmondo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #92 on: June 13, 2011, 02:08:35 AM »

Cabin Essence is not just a simple fold down of the 20-20 version.  The lead vocal is single tracked except for the "Home on the range..." portion.  Something sounds a bit different about the chorus as well, but I'm not positive.  

Wonderful sounds almost exactly like the GV box set version except for the yodeling vocals, which have only been bootlegged without the lead vocal and in so-so quality.  This is definitely something new, derived from new or previously unreleased elements.

First time I've heard it in mono, other than that sounds exactly the same to me.

Listening again, yes, single lead and Mike's "Iron Horse" chorus vocal is pushed up a notch, and the "Truck drivin man'" vocal is also more up front and with a tad of reverb. I'm a technical ignoramus - could it just be one channel of the 20/20 stereo version ?

That could have been done through EQ etc but I think it sounds like they must have access to some multitracks to up Mike's chorus vocal and the truck drivin man - I would have thought that Carl's lead, truck drivin man and Mike's lead part on end would have to be recorded at different times and therefore on different tracks. Also didn't they record vocals over each section rather than the whole backing track for CE - may be mistaken

We shall see

Cheers

Richard
GuyO
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #93 on: June 13, 2011, 02:12:27 AM »

In some other thread there was a link to a website where you could order this MOJO special. Can t find it anymore, could someone help, please?
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #94 on: June 13, 2011, 02:17:41 AM »

That could have been done through EQ etc but I think it sounds like they must have access to some multitracks to up Mike's chorus vocal and the truck drivin man - I would have thought that Carl's lead, truck drivin man and Mike's lead part on end would have to be recorded at different times and therefore on different tracks. Also didn't they record vocals over each section rather than the whole backing track for CE - may be mistaken

We shall see

You slipped that in before I tested my theory: sounds to me like a hard left pan of the stereo.

desmondo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #95 on: June 13, 2011, 02:36:49 AM »

In some other thread there was a link to a website where you could order this MOJO special. Can t find it anymore, could someone help, please?

Try Backstreets in Cheltenham in UK

Cheers

Richard
desmondo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #96 on: June 13, 2011, 02:39:59 AM »

We shall see

You slipped that in before I tested my theory: sounds to me like a hard left pan of the stereo.

Interesting - how do you come to that conclusion??

I think that although the changes are pretty subtle, I believe it is more than just EQing the master - it just sounds they have done what they can with the multitracks - that of course could just be some vocals rather than the whole thing - the backing track may be locked along with some of the backing vocals on the chorus section

Cheers

Richard
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #97 on: June 13, 2011, 03:07:44 AM »

I put my Friends/20/20 2fer into the player and set the balance to hard left.  Grin

desmondo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #98 on: June 13, 2011, 03:17:11 AM »

I put my Friends/20/20 2fer into the player and set the balance to hard left.  Grin

That is different to a mono mix though

Cheers

Richard
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #99 on: June 13, 2011, 03:35:43 AM »

I put my Friends/20/20 2fer into the player and set the balance to hard left.  Grin

That is different to a mono mix though

Oh, for sure... but a pukka mono mix, or even a stereo fold-down, would have a doubled Carl lead, which the 45 doesn't. Not saying the 45 is one channel of the stereo version, just that if you hard pan left, you get something very similar. Try it.  Smiley

gfx
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 ... 19 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx