gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
681111 Posts in 27629 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims May 23, 2024, 10:30:36 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 11 12 ... 19 Go Down Print
Author Topic: MOJO Special Spolier  (Read 86701 times)
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #150 on: June 13, 2011, 10:34:51 AM »

Automatic Double Tracking.

Artificial Double Tracking, to be pedantic.  (That's what its inventor, Ken Townsend, called it, and who are we to move his goalposts?)  Delay, in short.

Pedantic, no. Accurate, yes. I have no idea why I wrote "Automatic".

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
seltaeb1012002
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #151 on: June 13, 2011, 10:39:50 AM »

Re: Wonderful

Definitely a longer fade. The new background vocals sounded a little suspect at first. Thought maybe they used the boot version to fly those in. But after listening a bunch of times, I'm pretty sure the bg vox are from the masters.

Re: Cabinessence

This sounds freakin' awesome in a true mono mix. Single tracked lead > ADT lead. I'm hearing reverb on the vocals in spots that I don't believe were present in the original mix.

Overall, these new mixes are great. Can't wait to hear the rest of the "album".
« Last Edit: June 13, 2011, 10:41:55 AM by seltaeb1012002 » Logged
desmondo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #152 on: June 13, 2011, 10:42:43 AM »

Some more on Cabin Essence

Well, I just synched the Mojo track and the '93 boxset track together on Cubase.

The first verse and chorus are completely in synch, not even the slightest hint of phase. The second verse and chorus go out of synch, but only because the edit has been adjusted.

The fact they are completely in synch would lead me to believe that AGD is right (again unfortunately). If they had gone back to the multitracks, you would expect there to be slight timing differences. Tapes stretch slightly every time they are played. This is almost certainly the version used on the 93 boxset, with a mix made from one side of the stereo pair.

If they had made a mix from the multitracks, you would have timing differences, however slight.

On the MOJO version - the is a longer gap before the verse come back in - hope I got that the right way round Roll Eyes

Cheers

Richard
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #153 on: June 13, 2011, 10:46:04 AM »

This sounds freakin' awesome in a true mono mix. Single tracked lead > ADT lead. I'm hearing reverb on the vocals in spots that I don't believe were present in the original mix.

I have serious doubts it's a true mono mix, in the strictest sense: I'm sure it'll all come out given time. However, just had it confirmed to me that Carl's 1968 lead was indeed a single track processed with ADT.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
seanmurd
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #154 on: June 13, 2011, 10:47:01 AM »

Well, I just synched the Mojo track and the '93 boxset track together on Cubase.

The first verse and chorus are completely in synch, not even the slightest hint of phase. The second verse and chorus go out of synch, but only because the edit has been adjusted.

The fact they are completely in synch would lead me to believe that AGD is right (again unfortunately). If they had gone back to the multitracks, you would expect there to be slight timing differences. Tapes stretch slightly every time they are played. This is almost certainly the version used on the 93 boxset, with a mix made from one side of the stereo pair.

If they had made a mix from the multitracks, you would have timing differences, however slight.

Listen to Mike's "crow cries" vocals again and compare them to the 20/20 stereo version. I've listened to BOTH channels isolated (in mono), and neither of them match the MOJO version. Mike's vocal sounds different and louder on the MOJO mix -- it simply CAN'T be a single-channel fake-mono track. And besides, that is the lowest, hack-iest move an amateur bootlegger would pull -- do you really think Mark Linett would put his name on such a thing? Reminds me of my old vinyl Beatles bootleg days -- Oooh, look! A mono "rough mix" of "Yesterday" without the strings! Amazing!!" Only it was just a single-channel outfake. It's offensive to even consider, but thankfully those Mike vocals make it virtually impossible -- and if anyone can re-create the MOJO mix with a single channel re-EQ'd, I'd love to hear it.

---------------------------
Sean Murdock
desmondo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #155 on: June 13, 2011, 10:47:21 AM »

I have serious doubts it's a true mono mix, in the strictest sense: I'm sure it'll all come out given time. However, just had it confirmed to me that Carl's 1968 lead was indeed a single track processed with ADT.

Thanks for getting that info - anything else we NEED to know angel
« Last Edit: June 13, 2011, 10:48:56 AM by desmondo » Logged

Cheers

Richard
Iron Horse-Apples
« Reply #156 on: June 13, 2011, 10:48:05 AM »

Unless they were working from the same material in 66, 68, 83 and 2011

It would also have been put on Pro Tools (ML did it for DS) so they would have been able to do a comparison and correct any major differences

Do you mean PS? If so then I think all he did in terms of correcting differences was synching the vocals to the original instrumental multi tracks. This is exactly what I am talking about. When Brian dubbed the PS tracks down to mono onto an 8 track, and then rewound that tape 547 times whilst waiting for Al to sing the damn line correctly..... then the tape would be stretched, hence Mark had to make adjustemnts whilst synching it.

I don't know how the master for Cabinessence was made in '68, but I would suspect they mixed down what existed from '66 onto another tape, then added the leads and some sweetening. Carl was a great vocalist, but I'd be suprised it was done in two takes (one for each dub) More than likely there was constant stops and rewinds. Already you would have something that would not synch exactly with the '66 multi's

And I'm saying it synchs exactly - no phase at all.

This is one channel the 20/20 track, hence the single tracked vocal. There was probably good reason for doing this. Maybe they tried a fold down from both channels, and it didn't sound too great. Maybe they tried mixing it from one channel and found it sounded better, and they had more control over the sound. I don't think they were cutting corners, or being lazy, I think it would have been a creative decision.

And I think it sounds great, however they did it
desmondo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #157 on: June 13, 2011, 10:53:50 AM »

It would also have been put on Pro Tools (ML did it for DS) so they would have been able to do a comparison and correct any major differences

Do you mean PS? If so then I think all he did in terms of correcting differences was synching the vocals to the original instrumental multi tracks. This is exactly what I am talking about. When Brian dubbed the PS tracks down to mono onto an 8 track, and then rewound that tape 547 times whilst waiting for Al to sing the damn line correctly..... then the tape would be stretched, hence Mark had to make adjustemnts whilst synching it.

I don't know how the master for Cabinessence was made in '68, but I would suspect they mixed down what existed from '66 onto another tape, then added the leads and some sweetening. Carl was a great vocalist, but I'd be suprised it was done in two takes (one for each dub) More than likely there was constant stops and rewinds. Already you would have something that would not synch exactly with the '66 multi's

This is one channel the 20/20 track, hence the single tracked vocal. There was probably good reason for doing this. Maybe they tried a fold down from both channels, and it didn't sound too great. Maybe they tried mixing it from one channel and found it sounded better, and they had more control over the sound. I don't think they were cutting corners, or being lazy, I think it would have been a creative decision.

No DS (Darian) for 2004 SMILE

And CE doesn't match, it does phase - there IS  a longer gap at the end of the first chorus before second verse comes in - suggesting either different edit, 66 mix or they simply have made a new mono mix from the multitracks/ProTools stems they had or found since 2003/04

Cheers

Richard
GuyOnTheBeach
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #158 on: June 13, 2011, 10:54:46 AM »

I would love to contribute to this discussion, Perhaps soMeone would be so kind as to provide the necessary means  angel
Iron Horse-Apples
« Reply #159 on: June 13, 2011, 10:55:34 AM »

Listen to Mike's "crow cries" vocals again and compare them to the 20/20 stereo version. I've listened to BOTH channels isolated (in mono), and neither of them match the MOJO version. Mike's vocal sounds different and louder on the MOJO mix -- it simply CAN'T be a single-channel fake-mono track. And besides, that is the lowest, hack-iest move an amateur bootlegger would pull -- do you really think Mark Linett would put his name on such a thing? Reminds me of my old vinyl Beatles bootleg days -- Oooh, look! A mono "rough mix" of "Yesterday" without the strings! Amazing!!" Only it was just a single-channel outfake. It's offensive to even consider, but thankfully those Mike vocals make it virtually impossible -- and if anyone can re-create the MOJO mix with a single channel re-EQ'd, I'd love to hear it.

I know, and Truck Driving Man is louder too. I think they may have extracted some vocals with software, easy nowadays, just to give them some more control.

And yes, if the '68 multitracks are missing, which they apparently are, then they didn't have much choice.

It is the same track, seriously, and I'm not criticising it, I think it sounds great
desmondo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #160 on: June 13, 2011, 10:58:32 AM »

I know, and Truck Driving Man is louder too. I think they may have extracted some vocals with software, easy nowadays, just to give them some more control.

And yes, if the '68 multitracks are missing, which they apparently are, then they didn't have much choice.

It is the same track, seriously, and I'm not criticising it, I think it sounds great

I hear what you are saying but its not the same - second verse starts in a different place to the GV Box set version - balance of vocals is also different

Respectfully of course  Smiley

Cheers

Richard
Iron Horse-Apples
« Reply #161 on: June 13, 2011, 11:01:48 AM »

And CE doesn't match, it does phase - there IS  a longer gap at the end of the first chorus before second verse comes in - suggesting either different edit, 66 mix or they simply have made a new mono mix from the multitracks/ProTools stems they had or found since 2003/04

Yes I mentioned that. The edit has been adjusted, it doesn't go out of phase, it goes completley out of synch here. If '68 vocals had been put onto the '66 multi's, then the whole track would be out. I only say this as someone who has spent many years working with tape.

And I could be wrong, I'd be happy if it was a new mix, I'm happy whatever it is.

And thanks again for the chance to hear it Desmondo.
desmondo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #162 on: June 13, 2011, 11:05:52 AM »

Yes I mentioned that. The edit has been adjusted, it doesn't go out of phase, it goes completley out of synch here. If '68 vocals had been put onto the '66 multi's, then the whole track would be out. I only say this as someone who has spent many years working with tape.

And I could be wrong, I'd be happy if it was a new mix, I'm happy whatever it is.

Never worked with tape -  Smiley but done stuff on ProTools and Logic

Cos Smile is 97% edits - they could have just matched the vocal track up via a cut in its track to match the extra space in the gap - easy with DAWs - tape would be a much more tricky operation I would imagine

Cheers

Richard
Iron Horse-Apples
« Reply #163 on: June 13, 2011, 11:06:18 AM »

The balance of the vocals is different because it is only channel of the 20/20 version, and because they have put extracted vocals on there,...... maybe.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2011, 11:09:12 AM by Iron Horse-Apples » Logged
GuyOnTheBeach
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #164 on: June 13, 2011, 11:15:52 AM »

Quote from: desmondo  link=topic=10483.msg191935#msg191935 date=1307988108

Never worked with tape -  Smiley but done stuff on ProTools and Logic

Cos Smile is 97% edits - they could have just matched the vocal track up via a cut in its track to match the extra space in the gap - easy with DAWs - tape would be a much more tricky operation I would imagine

I'm thinking that is what they done, I'm sure I'm not the only one here who has spent hours cutting little bits out of some of the SoT tracks to make them match up (and using phase cancellation to create home made multitracks, that probably wasn't done here.. not an ideal process.. anyway going off on a tangent.), I'd love to know how much easier it was to do for this than it was when ML done the same process for the Pet Sounds remix  LOL. I was thinking though for CE, would it be possible that (assuming only the 1968 stuff is AWOL) that an earlier mix or something was used, pre ADT, and that Mikes part (which I assume was recorded in 1966) still existed in multitrack, thus possible to remix that section ?

Oh, and again, thank you sir  Smiley
« Last Edit: June 13, 2011, 11:17:10 AM by GuyOnTheBeach » Logged
Iron Horse-Apples
« Reply #165 on: June 13, 2011, 11:19:40 AM »

Never worked with tape -  Smiley but done stuff on ProTools and Logic

Not sure I follow.........bit late in the day. But yes, I don't use tape anymore, spent years missing it with my first forays into digital, but I've got a pretty sweet system now, and plug-ins to give it that tape saturation we know and love, but anyway, I won't turn this thread into something off the Hoffman board.

I do still double track all my vocals though, and have it down to a fine art
pixletwin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #166 on: June 13, 2011, 11:21:13 AM »

May is ask someone for a Piece of Marshmellow?  Afro
Dunderhead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #167 on: June 13, 2011, 11:24:48 AM »

Went out today to try and pick one of these up. Can anyone pm me this stuff?

TEAM COHEN; OFFICIAL CAPTAIN (2013-)
desmondo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #168 on: June 13, 2011, 11:30:52 AM »

And CE doesn't match, it does phase - there IS  a longer gap at the end of the first chorus before second verse comes in - suggesting either different edit, 66 mix or they simply have made a new mono mix from the multitracks/ProTools stems they had or found since 2003/04

Never worked with tape -  Smiley but done stuff on ProTools and Logic

Not sure I follow.........bit late in the day. But yes, I don't use tape anymore, spent years missing it with my first forays into digital, but I've got a pretty sweet system now, and plug-ins to give it that tape saturation we know and love, but anyway, I won't turn this thread into something off the Hoffman board.

I do still double track all my vocals though, and have it down to a fine art

Let me try and explain with the proviso that I am no expert with Pro Tools but have used it and I may be teaching egg sucking

I have the complete backing track or the sections on one track which I can edit/fade together all the parts

If I also have the Carl lead vocal I can synch, EQ, edit, etc that to match the backing track - that is why the new "gap" doesn't make any difference

If then Mike's Over and Over was recorded separately and is on a separate track or even part of the Carl lead track I can put that on and EQ it change levels etc - I don't know this is true though from tracking dates etc

If I also have the backing vocals whether separately or as one mixed track I can also put those on top and repeat editing, EQ ing etc - even if they are mixed with the backing track the new gap wont make any difference

Perhaps a good example is the H&V building of the vocal tracks from SOT

Please correct if this is all impossible - it does of course depend on a certain number of multi tracks being available

I can then mix and master the whole thing to mono
« Last Edit: June 13, 2011, 11:33:14 AM by desmondo » Logged

Cheers

Richard
pixletwin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #169 on: June 13, 2011, 11:31:09 AM »

Thank you for the marshmallow. They were yummy.
desmondo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #170 on: June 13, 2011, 11:35:04 AM »

Glad they ere sweet - We are going to all become bloaters when this thing comes out - we've spent a few pages on just one song - any bets on how many pages for the complete set Grin Grin Grin Grin

Cheers

Richard
Roger Ryan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #171 on: June 13, 2011, 12:28:03 PM »

Okay, I haven't even heard the new "Cabin Essence" (Perhaps I Might soon, along with the new "Wonderful"), but my understanding was that only Carl's lead recorded in '68 was missing; the chorus vocals and Mike's coda vocal exist on multi-tracks. I have no idea whether Dennis' "Truck Drivin' Man" exists apart from the finished 20/20 mix.

Am I totally misinformed here?
Bradley333
Smiley Smile Newbie

View Profile
« Reply #172 on: June 13, 2011, 12:28:37 PM »

Also cannot find the magazine. By any chance, would some kind soul do me a favor via pm? Thank you kindly in advance....
rogerlancelot
« Reply #173 on: June 13, 2011, 12:41:19 PM »

Please, May I have one too???
bossaroo
Smiley Smile Associate

...let's be friends...

View Profile
« Reply #174 on: June 13, 2011, 12:50:16 PM »

will somebody play with me?

or post the dang thing to youtube already???
gfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 11 12 ... 19 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx