gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680751 Posts in 27615 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 19, 2024, 09:14:20 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Interesting new Mike interview, with new release date  (Read 26765 times)
Runaways
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #125 on: June 02, 2011, 03:28:15 PM »

Quote from: phirnis
Rerecording "Do It Again" (of all songs) is such a cheesy thing to do... Also, no rerecording is ever going to equal the original's perfect drum beat and manic falsetto part, so why even bother?

Quote from: Shady
If that "Do It Again" re-recording ever happens (which I'm sure It won't) I would probably tears of shame

Just so I'm clear: the surviving band members have reunited in the studio after so and so number of years, and instead of appreciating the potential historical significance of seeing these dudes put aside their differences and baggage enough to do it, let alone at an age where it might be one of their last opportunities to release anything new at all, we should just complain about how it's not going to be as good as the version they did in their prime and that they should just not do anything at all?

Got it.

It's just a weird thing to do, "Do it again" is a great song but I don't see a single reason to rerecord it..

It will be a weird novelty recording, something more from the heart would be better, or just seeing them on stage IMO

they were probably just having fun.
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #126 on: June 02, 2011, 03:32:30 PM »

Hope it turns out well and not like the SIP 'Surfin' Thud

For me the original has one of the best intros going. I hope that hasn't changed and in fact, gets extended.

I also still think some kind of compilation will come out for the 50th and this could make a sweet little bonus!

A drummer has been mentioned. Any chance a group has been put together to update the feel of the song? Even today it has a cool groove IMO.

Also as Brian has sung this solo for years plus his recorded version on IJWMFTT I would think he and Mike split the lead. We will see!
oldsurferdude
« Reply #127 on: June 02, 2011, 03:42:52 PM »

Rerecording "Do It Again" (of all songs) is such a cheesy thing to do... Also, no rerecording is ever going to equal the original's perfect drum beat and manic falsetto part, so why even bother?

If that "Do It Again" re-recording ever happens (which I'm sure It won't) I would probably tears of shame

Just so I'm clear: the surviving band members have reunited in the studio after so and so number of years, and instead of appreciating the potential historical significance of seeing these dudes put aside their differences and baggage enough to do it, let alone at an age where it might be one of their last opportunities to release anything new at all, we should just complain about how it's not going to be as good as the version they did in their prime and that they should just not do anything at all?

Got it.
Uh, this is your ever lovin' troll here-Get used to the negative barbs here-in fact 95% of em think THEY can do a better job of writing, producing, arranging, recording and tracklisting than what used to be the BB's did including 95% of Brian's solo stuff.  Roll Eyes
Jason
« Reply #128 on: June 02, 2011, 04:00:50 PM »

Got it.
Uh, this is your ever lovin' troll here-Get used to the negative barbs here-in fact 95% of em think THEY can do a better job of writing, producing, arranging, recording and tracklisting than what used to be the BB's did including 95% of Brian's solo stuff.  Roll Eyes

Don't feed the troll.
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #129 on: June 02, 2011, 04:13:19 PM »

Got it.

Well said Austin.  The guys get it back together and folk here moan.  There's just no pleasing the fans.

The BBs are gonna have to have skins of rhino hide when the SMiLE box comes out, cos some folk here are just gonna shoot it down in flames.

Poor sods can't do right for doing wrong.

“We live in divisive times.”
18thofMay
Smiley Smile Associate

Goin to the beach

View Profile
« Reply #130 on: June 02, 2011, 04:33:12 PM »

Got it.
Do you own a Rubix Cube?

It’s like he hired a fashion consultant and told her to make him look “punchable.”
Some Guy, 2012
"Donald Trump makes Mike Love look like an asshole"
Me ,2015.
Emdeeh
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #131 on: June 02, 2011, 04:42:27 PM »

I'm glad to see them taking a shot at reuniting in the studio.

Wouldn't it be a joke on us if they had actually recorded a different song called "Do It Again" -- say, a cover of the Steely Dan song. LOL And here we're assuming they've reworked one of their old tunes.

« Last Edit: June 02, 2011, 04:43:18 PM by Emdeeh » Logged
Jim V.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #132 on: June 02, 2011, 06:09:24 PM »

I don't understand why they don't just finish "You're Still a Mystery" or something, maybe just re-record Brian's vocals, as I think he could maybe do a better job. I mean, I don't think the guys should go back and dig up a bunch of old unreleased stuff and add merda to it, but I think that should definitely be put out.

And actually, wanna not just add a lead vocal and some more harmonies to "Dancing the Night Away"? You already have a quality Carl vocal on there (a big plus). Just have Mike and Brian work on some nice, relevant lyrics, and you're good.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2011, 06:10:53 PM by sweetdudejim » Logged
oldsurferdude
« Reply #133 on: June 02, 2011, 06:16:41 PM »

I don't understand why they don't just finish "You're Still a Mystery" or something, maybe just re-record Brian's vocals, as I think he could maybe do a better job. I mean, I don't think the guys should go back and dig up a bunch of old unreleased stuff and add merda to it, but I think that should definitely be put out.

And actually, wanna not just add a lead vocal and some more harmonies to "Dancing the Night Away"? You already have a quality Carl vocal on there (a big plus). Just have Mike and Brian work on some nice, relevant lyrics, and you're good.
Case in point. Wink
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #134 on: June 02, 2011, 07:17:50 PM »

I just hope it's a taster of more amazing things to come. Like an original composition, or a Brian, Mike or Al (or even better, Bruce - who knows what he's been storing away since the 80's?) reject....

I've been kinda dumbstruck by the matter-of-fact reaction by some here.

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
onkster
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #135 on: June 02, 2011, 07:31:35 PM »

Perhaps if the song had been called "Do It Just Once", this wouldn't be happening.
vintagemusic
Smiley Smile Associate

That was great! Could we just try it once more

View Profile
« Reply #136 on: June 02, 2011, 07:52:24 PM »

@AGD

The Hoffman board is reporting that The Beach Boys studio reunion for Do It Again was a Capitol. Is that true? Do they have a new recording contract in place? Seems odd that they would use Capitol and not Linett's place or some other independent studio. It also said that they visited seperately. Was this for a Smile listening session?

Once again, Da Hoff is wrong.  Grin

And, again, the recent 'reunion' sessions were nothing to do with Smile.

They Don't mind being wrong. At Hoffman's.  They just have one of the moderaters edit the post so that it
disappears entirely, or sometimes, edit the text,, so it appears they said the opposite thing.
If you bring that up, they will ban you, saying you did something wrong.

You should see the vile posts Steve Hoffman wrote right before they censored Ken Scott for what
they said was some kind of innappropriate humor. yet right before that Steve Hoffman had made some
vile remarks, much worse than what Scott said.

Hoffman said right before the announcement of SMiLE that there was so no such project as SMiLE.
I'm sure they either edited the text of that post, made it disappear entirely, or claim it was all a smokesreen.

They have people over there so far up the guys butt they are like anal symbiots.

Sometimes there can be good information over there. but the two or three dozen trolls
editing, banning, insulting, censoring, make it nearly impossible to engage in something meaningful
there. Imagine censoring a nice guy like Ken Scott one of the BEatles primary engineers, and then pretending
that they never did it. Who would you rather listen to, a first had participant in the Beatles recordings
or some moderator censoring posts.

I think Capitol still has one of those authentic old echo chambers. I found it to be full of history but
kind of creepy down there in the basement. Big tracking room, old fashioned baffles, all the vintage microphones
old mixing consoles.  When I was there in the 80's everything looked like it was from the forties and fiftes. Old RCA
77's hanging in huge tracking rooms, huge wooden baffles , I wonder what they were doing in there, if not recording
if they were gonna pick up a couple vocal lines for SMiLE, that might be the place they would go to get that old 66 sound.

« Last Edit: June 02, 2011, 07:53:16 PM by vintagemusic » Logged
Wylson
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #137 on: June 03, 2011, 12:30:50 AM »

Hugely excited that the BBs have been in the studio. Anything that comes out of such sessions is an absolute bonus, and I can't wait to hear it. I really thought it would never happen.

Thanks Andrew for letting us know.
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #138 on: June 03, 2011, 12:54:52 AM »

I think you should write to them and let them know how they should be doing it -  you never know, it worked for Jack Reilly.   Roll Eyes

Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #139 on: June 03, 2011, 01:22:45 AM »

@AGD

The Hoffman board is reporting that The Beach Boys studio reunion for Do It Again was a Capitol. Is that true? Do they have a new recording contract in place? Seems odd that they would use Capitol and not Linett's place or some other independent studio. It also said that they visited seperately. Was this for a Smile listening session?

They Don't mind being wrong. At Hoffman's.  They just have one of the moderaters edit the post so that it
disappears entirely, or sometimes, edit the text,, so it appears they said the opposite thing.

You should see the vile posts Steve Hoffman wrote right before they censored Ken Scott for what
they said was some kind of innappropriate humor. yet right before that Steve Hoffman had made some

Hoffman said right before the announcement of SMiLE that there was so no such project as SMiLE.
I'm sure they either edited the text of that post, made it disappear entirely, or claim it was all a smokesreen.

I think the whole thread - four pages worth - is now gone,  but The Hoff claimed that Captiol 'begged' him to tell that lie because there were so many fans calling them about the project and when it was going to be released that they were seriously considering junking the whole shebang. Correct, because people were expressing an interest in product, a record company was thinking about canning it. I'll leave it up to you to decide just how likely any part of that scenario is.  Grin

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
vintagemusic
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #140 on: June 03, 2011, 02:13:45 AM »

@AGD

They Don't mind being wrong. At Hoffman's.  They just have one of the moderaters edit the post so that it

I think the whole thread - four pages worth - is now gone,  but The Hoff claimed that Captiol 'begged' him to tell that lie because there were so many fans calling them about the project and when it was going to be released that they were seriously considering junking the whole shebang. Correct, because people were expressing an interest in product, a record company was thinking about canning it. I'll leave it up to you to decide just how likely any part of that scenario is.  Grin

Yeah Mr Doe, that's what I'm trying to say how full of BS

MAstering engineer by day, superhero by night, if not for the selfless doings of superhero Steve Hoffman
the entire Beach Boys SMILE project would have been cancelled. But Hoffman being a hero selfelessly lied only
to Save SMiLE for you the loyal little Hoffmanites and fans, Christendom and BEach BOys SMiLE has been saved
thanks to Steve Hoffman,

There was another thread more recently than that about a supposed fire at an MCA wherehouse/storage facility
where multitracks or original mixes, were supposedly lost.. The entire thread disappeared in the wink of an eye.

That is not an uncommon thing over there. Perhaps it was related to some of the scuttlebut about Hoffman
I don't know.  I didin't get to read much of it, because they deleted all of it,, like it had never existed.

In the George Orwell story 1984, that was the character Winston Smith, his job was to delete things as if they had
never existed.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2011, 02:15:04 AM by vintagemusic » Logged
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #141 on: June 03, 2011, 02:56:25 AM »

There was another thread more recently than that about a supposed fire at an MCA wherehouse/storage facility
where multitracks or original mixes, were supposedly lost.. The entire thread disappeared in the wink of an eye.

The implication being… ? You're not suggesting… ?  Shocked  Shocked  Shocked  Shocked

vintagemusic
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #142 on: June 03, 2011, 03:19:20 AM »

The implication being… ? You're not suggesting… ?  Shocked  Shocked  Shocked  Shocked

on the contrary, I think when you make a thread disappear like that., the one doing the deletion,
creates the atmosphere of suggestion and innuendo.

I wonder what the Beach Boys were doing at Capitol. If it was recording, I would think Brian Wilson
would be the one, who would want to record there, Does Mike Love or Al Jardine get into heavy thought
about recording gear, or where it might be best to cut a certain track, for the right vibe. I would think
that is more Brian Wilson's area.

Maybe they were just taking a publicity photo or something. Someone said one of them lives in Nevada
thats at least four hundred miles each way to LA. They must have been doing something. You have to fly into
Burbank, and its at least another.. 20 minutes to Capitol with the traffic.
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #143 on: June 03, 2011, 03:40:28 AM »

The person who reported the Capitol visits on Hoffman is fairly reliable or at least not as outrageous as some others there, but so far, no one else has confirmed those individual visits. Andrew answered there regarding the recording session and did not confirm that it was at Capitol. With that, I have to assume the person there was incorrect about that part of the story.

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
On Stage As It Is In Studio,
Give Us This Day, Our Shortenin' Bread
And Forgive Us Our Bootlegs,
As We Also Have Forgiven Our Wife And Managers,
And Lead Us Not Into Kokomo,
But Deliver Us From Mike Love.
Amen.  ---hypehat
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #144 on: June 03, 2011, 03:47:44 AM »

The implication being… ? You're not suggesting… ?  Shocked  Shocked  Shocked  Shocked

on the contrary, I think when you make a thread disappear like that., the one doing the deletion,

I wonder what the Beach Boys were doing at Capitol. If it was recording, I would think Brian Wilson
would be the one, who would want to record there, Does Mike Love or Al Jardine get into heavy thought
about recording gear, or where it might be best to cut a certain track, for the right vibe. I would think

Maybe they were just taking a publicity photo or something. Someone said one of them lives in Nevada
thats at least four hundred miles each way to LA. They must have been doing something. You have to fly into

Well... seeing as they were all in the immediate area for a few days anyway for the "DIA" sessions, a quick side-trip to the Tower (for whatever reason: maybe they went to beg the Capitol execs to tell Phil Cohen what the state of play is in the box set. Or possibly not...) wouldn't be that tricky. Maybe to see the progress of the project.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2011, 03:48:40 AM by Andrew G. Doe » Logged

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Lowbacca
Smiley Smile Associate

please let me wonder

View Profile
« Reply #145 on: June 03, 2011, 03:50:41 AM »

Exciting times... Exciting year in music.
Quincy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #146 on: June 03, 2011, 07:36:14 AM »

The implication being… ? You're not suggesting… ?  Shocked  Shocked  Shocked  Shocked

Well... seeing as they were all in the immediate area for a few days anyway for the "DIA" sessions, a quick side-trip to the Tower (for whatever reason: maybe they went to beg the Capitol execs to tell Phil Cohen what the state of play is in the box set. Or possibly not...) wouldn't be that tricky. Maybe to see the progress of the project.
Serenade :
rogerlancelot
« Reply #147 on: June 03, 2011, 01:30:55 PM »

Mike Love lives in and owns property in Reno, NV which is a very long drive to LA (a trip from Vegas on the other hand is only about 5 hours long or so).
bossaroo
Smiley Smile Associate

...let's be friends...

View Profile
« Reply #148 on: June 03, 2011, 01:35:15 PM »

"let's get together and do it again"

seems like an obvious choice, as Mike and Brian haven't worked together in some 15 yrs, and they co-wrote the song.
also, it was the first attempt at being deliberately nostalgic... an approach that has served Mike well ever since. the 50th anniversary is ALL about nostalgia.

and speaking of 15 yrs ago, one of the worst moments imo on the Stars & Stripes doc was Mike's live DIA vocal.
I can't imagine it's gotten any better, but at least they can try and fix it in the studio.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2011, 01:36:40 PM by bossaroo » Logged
tpesky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #149 on: June 03, 2011, 07:48:40 PM »

if the BB were smart, they would let Alan do as much of the lead singing as possible in any reunion type projects. He cam sing circles around the others.
gfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx