-->
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 11:46:34 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
News: Endless Summer Quarterly
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  The Smiley Smile Message Board
|-+  Non Smiley Smile Stuff
| |-+  The Sandbox
| | |-+  The What Are You Reading? Thread
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 ... 33   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: The What Are You Reading? Thread  (Read 317863 times)
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

what it means to be human

View Profile
« Reply #75 on: May 15, 2012, 05:56:49 AM »

My girlfriend and I almost started to read Go Ask Alice a couple of weeks ago, I read it about 6 years ago, I really liked it then. She got freaked out the last time she read it and didn't enjoy it as much. I started to read it but it started depressing me because of my current situation with some certain substances. But as it turns out, a good thing came out of it. I discussed with her about how I don't wanna read it because of my current situation & how it'd depress me, and she understood which started a discussion on myself getting the help I needed....so a week later, I went to my first NA meeting (voluntarily) and I really enjoyed it and got a lot out of it. I'm going to try to make it to a meeting once a week. Been clean 9 days now, I'm very proud to say that.

And that's how a book that I only read 5 pages of the 2nd time helped me turn my life around. Heck, I might just give it away so maybe it'll help someone else.

To view my video documentation of my Beach Boys collection go to www.youtube.com/justinplank

"Someone needs to tell Adrian Baker that imitation isn't innovation." -The Real Beach Boy

~post of the century~
"Well, you reached out to me too, David, and I'd be more than happy to fill Bgas's shoes. You don't need him anyway - some of us have the same items in our collections as he does and we're also much better writers. Spoiled brat....."
-Mikie

"in this online beach boy community, I've found that you're either correct or corrected. Which in my mind is all in good fun to show ones knowledge of their favorite band."- punkinhead
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #76 on: May 16, 2012, 11:30:59 AM »

My girlfriend and I almost started to read Go Ask Alice a couple of weeks ago, I read it about 6 years ago, I really liked it then. She got freaked out the last time she read it and didn't enjoy it as much. I started to read it but it started depressing me because of my current situation with some certain substances. But as it turns out, a good thing came out of it. I discussed with her about how I don't wanna read it because of my current situation & how it'd depress me, and she understood which started a discussion on myself getting the help I needed....so a week later, I went to my first NA meeting (voluntarily) and I really enjoyed it and got a lot out of it. I'm going to try to make it to a meeting once a week. Been clean 9 days now, I'm very proud to say that.

And that's how a book that I only read 5 pages of the 2nd time helped me turn my life around. Heck, I might just give it away so maybe it'll help someone else.

Congrats!

I read Go Ask Alice my freshmen year of High School - I loved it (I was fascinated by the free-spirited culture the narrator led the reader through)....though looking back I completely ignored the whole point of the book.

Anyways, keep it up - substance abuse is no picnic, and the stronger you stay in the coming days the better off you will be. And 9 days is quite an accomplishment for any drug one is trying to quit, so again, congratulations!

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #77 on: May 16, 2012, 05:07:38 PM »

Yeah, congrats Punkinhead! Hope you stay strong.

Rab - Zen & The Art of Motorcycle Maintenance is... strange. It's concerned quite heavily with philosophy at times, and lots of hemming and hawing about the Nature of Things which makes for dense reading. The tone doesn't really endear me either, although I'm going to finish it as he's actually rather good at teasing out little narrative foreshadowing bits, although a 'plot' is by no means the actual point of the book. It might be your bag, but it's not really earning the slow and methodical route it's taking with me so far.

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #78 on: May 16, 2012, 05:18:17 PM »

Punkinhead, keep up the good work of getting clean.

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
SG7
« Reply #79 on: May 16, 2012, 06:15:50 PM »

Anna Karenina by Leo Tolstoy. Such an epic and powerful book. Tolstoy paints a picture in words and every nook isn't forgotten.
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #80 on: May 16, 2012, 07:06:15 PM »

Anna Karenina by Leo Tolstoy. Such an epic and powerful book. Tolstoy paints a picture in words and every nook isn't forgotten.
Isn't it brilliant? I mean, obviously it is. But it is one of the few classics that, as and after you read it, you think it is underrated.

What translation are you reading? I ask because I read the Pevear and Volokhonsky one and loved it. I haven't read others of that novel by them, but there are several Dostoevsky and Gogol novels and stories I've read both from their translations and others, and for some reason, those two just strike gold with me every time. Or vice versa. Whatever.

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
1-1-wonderful
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #81 on: May 17, 2012, 04:50:23 AM »

recently:

Underworld by Don DeLillo

The Corrections by  Jonathan Franzen

Underworld blew me away.  One of the best books i've read in a long time and The Corrections too was hard to put down.
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #82 on: May 24, 2012, 07:27:39 AM »

Rangerover A1, I LOVE Milligan. Have you listened to The Goon Show?

Friend just leant me The Count Of Monte Cristo. Can't wait to have some free time and demolish that sucker.

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.

rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #83 on: May 24, 2012, 07:30:17 AM »

Put down Brother's K until I can fully get into it.

Now reading 'The Songs of Distant Earth' by Arthur C Clarke.

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
SG7
« Reply #84 on: May 24, 2012, 09:35:25 AM »

Isn't it brilliant? I mean, obviously it is. But it is one of the few classics that, as and after you read it, you think it is underrated.

What translation are you reading? I ask because I read the Pevear and Volokhonsky one and loved it. I haven't read others of that novel by them, but there are several Dostoevsky and Gogol novels and stories I've read both from their translations and others, and for some reason, those two just strike gold with me every time. Or vice versa. Whatever.

Yep I am reading the Pevear and Volokhonsky one too. This is my first time reading any of their translations. I am really impressed. Almost done the book and I've been reading it since September. I'm sort of sad about this Sad
Landlocked
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #85 on: May 28, 2012, 02:01:36 PM »

Yep I am reading the Pevear and Volokhonsky one too. This is my first time reading any of their translations. I am really impressed. Almost done the book and I've been reading it since September. I'm sort of sad about this Sad

Good choice. I read the PV translation of Anna Karenina and really enjoyed it. I also read their translation of Crime and Punishment, which was incredible. I have high hopes for their Brothers Karamazov which is on the shelf, waiting to be read.

Right now, I'm reading Barbara Tuchman's A Distant Mirror. A bit of a slog so far, but interesting enough to keep me from abandoning it for something better.
SG7
« Reply #86 on: May 28, 2012, 05:30:00 PM »

Good choice. I read the PV translation of Anna Karenina and really enjoyed it. I also read their translation of Crime and Punishment, which was incredible. I have high hopes for their Brothers Karamazov which is on the shelf, waiting to be read.

Right now, I'm reading Barbara Tuchman's A Distant Mirror. A bit of a slog so far, but interesting enough to keep me from abandoning it for something better.

Thanks for the suggestion. I may just have to find a copy of either one of those! I have seriously fallen in love with Russian literature.
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #87 on: May 28, 2012, 07:22:50 PM »

I have high hopes for their Brothers Karamazov which is on the shelf, waiting to be read.

It is amazing.

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

Landlocked
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #88 on: May 28, 2012, 11:37:44 PM »

I have high hopes for their Brothers Karamazov which is on the shelf, waiting to be read.

It is amazing.

That's what I hear! I may have to get their version of The Idiot, because I really didn't care for that novel. It's possible no translation could endear it to me, but it's just as possible it was simply a case of a poor translation. Ever read PV's version of that one?
« Last Edit: May 29, 2012, 07:59:30 AM by Landlocked » Logged
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #89 on: May 28, 2012, 11:39:17 PM »

A book.

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #90 on: May 28, 2012, 11:53:57 PM »

Rangerover A1, I LOVE Milligan. Have you listened to The Goon Show?

No, but I saw The Rutles sketches and I heard from various people that The Goon Show and this are similar in a way. They're wrong.

Only in that The Goon Show is better  Wink Try this, it's not one of the best but it's fairly standard, solid Goonery. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fb14Cstuc34

Also, if Eric Idle and Neil Innes did not worship the ground Milligan, Sellers, Seacombe et al walked on, I'm Mike Love's bald spot.

the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #91 on: May 29, 2012, 03:45:43 PM »

It is amazing.

That's what I hear! I may have to get their version of The Idiot, because I really didn't care for that novel. It's possible no translation could endear it to me, but it's just as possible it was simply a case of a poor translation. Ever read PV's version of that one?
I've got to come clean: after having read some of their other Dostoevsky translations, I picked that one up ... and never finished it. Got about 2/3 through and just quit. Never returned to it. So for whatever reason, be it translation of novel itself, I can't get into that.

Chocolate Shake Man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #92 on: May 29, 2012, 05:31:20 PM »

It is amazing.

I've got to come clean: after having read some of their other Dostoevsky translations, I picked that one up ... and never finished it. Got about 2/3 through and just quit. Never returned to it. So for whatever reason, be it translation of novel itself, I can't get into that.

The Idiot is my least favourite Dostoesvsky.
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

what it means to be human

View Profile
« Reply #93 on: June 01, 2012, 07:15:46 PM »

Perks of Being a Wallflower
A Hard Days Write
Pink Floyd FAQ

Always reading:
LLVS
BB (K. Badman)
Dallas episode guide (best book on the tv show ever)

To view my video documentation of my Beach Boys collection go to www.youtube.com/justinplank

"Someone needs to tell Adrian Baker that imitation isn't innovation." -The Real Beach Boy

~post of the century~
"Well, you reached out to me too, David, and I'd be more than happy to fill Bgas's shoes. You don't need him anyway - some of us have the same items in our collections as he does and we're also much better writers. Spoiled brat....."
-Mikie

"in this online beach boy community, I've found that you're either correct or corrected. Which in my mind is all in good fun to show ones knowledge of their favorite band."- punkinhead
Landlocked
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #94 on: June 02, 2012, 08:40:46 PM »

It is amazing.

The Idiot is my least favourite Dostoesvsky.

Ha! This is great news! Because if you look at any critical lists, or the lists of self-absorbed "I'm really well read, in an off-beat, hip kind of way" people on sites like Goodreads, they all list "The Idiot" as a masterpiece. I gave it two stars, considering it by far the worst piece of writing by Big D that I've read. And I've read The GamblerLOL LOL

It's been 6 months since I read it, but man, I still remember the gratingly annoying and vacuous characters like it was yesterday. I can understand filling your novel entirely with hideously conceited, useless characters--kind of--if you at least treat them ironically. But I didn't sense any of it. I don't read thrillers, or James Patterson novels, but would it have killed Dostoevsky to move the story along a little better? The pacing was horrendous. Just parlor scene after parlor scene of bloated, sheltered Russian aristocrats' histrionics. Bleh. I was so let down since the concept of Mishkin was so great, and because Kurosawa was inspired so much by it that he even made a film version of it. But I hated the execution. It almost makes me angry to think about it. I can remember how difficult it was to pick that book up each time I wanted to read it. Felt like it weighed a ton.

The Idiot reminds me of Sgt. Pepper's: some universally revered work that leaves me cold, plucked out of a large corpus of truly great work for reasons completely unknown to me.
SG7
« Reply #95 on: June 06, 2012, 10:33:44 AM »

Now I have gotten done Tolstoy I would like to add I was so sad to end Anna but the end of it was so confusing! My one professor is right: it is like two different books at times. Now it's onto reading Doctor Zhivago by Boris Pasternak.

hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #96 on: June 06, 2012, 10:36:31 AM »

Just finishing up Groucho Marx's autobiography. Just what I needed.

Landlocked
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #97 on: June 06, 2012, 07:13:46 PM »

Now I have gotten done Tolstoy I would like to add I was so sad to end Anna but the end of it was so confusing! My one professor is right: it is like two different books at times. Now it's onto reading Doctor Zhivago by Boris Pasternak.

He's right in more ways than one. I seem to remember reading that Tolstoy didn't originally envision "AK" as having the whole Levin/Kitty subplot, but added that after beginning work on it. I think he could have gotten a whole other book out of Levin, as he was such a well fleshed out character--mainly because he was essentially Tolstoy himself, I guess  Tongue Tongue
SG7
« Reply #98 on: June 06, 2012, 08:44:52 PM »

He's right in more ways than one. I seem to remember reading that Tolstoy didn't originally envision "AK" as having the whole Levin/Kitty subplot, but added that after beginning work on it. I think he could have gotten a whole other book out of Levin, as he was such a well fleshed out character--mainly because he was essentially Tolstoy himself, I guess  Tongue Tongue

I just find it funny how Levin doesn't seem very affected by Anna's end. In fact, no one really is except Vronsky!
Daniel S.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #99 on: June 13, 2012, 12:29:24 AM »

I'm reading "Something To Do With Death" a biography of Sergio Leone by Christopher Frayling.

Let us all stay teenage gamblers listening to the radio.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 ... 33   Go Up
Print
Jump to: