-->
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 12:29:14 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
News: Bellagio 10452
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  The Smiley Smile Message Board
|-+  Non Smiley Smile Stuff
| |-+  The Sandbox
| | |-+  The What Are You Reading? Thread
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 ... 33   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: The What Are You Reading? Thread  (Read 317868 times)
Chocolate Shake Man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: June 06, 2011, 10:14:55 PM »

Tonight, just finished Sara Jeannette Duncan's book, Set in Authority.

I will also be finishing up a bunch of Derek Walcott poems, including "The Schooner Flight" and a bunch from Another Life. I am also currently working through a bunch of early Canadian explorer texts compiled and edited in a large volume by Germaine Warkentin, appropriately titled Canadian Exploration Literature.

Tomorrow I begin (hopefully) Annie Swan's Elizabeth Glen, MB.
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: June 09, 2011, 04:23:24 AM »

How's that Canadian Explorer Book? It sounds like a fantastic set.....

My Americophile phase continues, although I have Franny & Zooey by JD Salinger and A Confederacy of Dunces vying for my attention. Which shall I settle on....

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: June 09, 2011, 05:39:46 PM »

Finally back to the long set-aside War and Peace (which I had never read before, but just picked up and began reading this spring after having begun reading other Tolstoy last summer), as well as Niall Ferguson's Ascent of Money. Kind of alternating depending on my mood.

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

what it means to be human

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: June 14, 2011, 10:57:37 AM »

High Fidelity-Nick Hornby
Have a Nice Day!-Mick Foley

To view my video documentation of my Beach Boys collection go to www.youtube.com/justinplank

"Someone needs to tell Adrian Baker that imitation isn't innovation." -The Real Beach Boy

~post of the century~
"Well, you reached out to me too, David, and I'd be more than happy to fill Bgas's shoes. You don't need him anyway - some of us have the same items in our collections as he does and we're also much better writers. Spoiled brat....."
-Mikie

"in this online beach boy community, I've found that you're either correct or corrected. Which in my mind is all in good fun to show ones knowledge of their favorite band."- punkinhead
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: June 14, 2011, 11:00:08 AM »

Question,

I'd like your honest opinion, would starting a book like A Hard Day's Write for the BB be worth it?
I think I could do it, but wouldn't be able to site enough sources throughout the years I've been researching and reading and listening and discussing. I'd also have trouble editing songs down to at least one page or so.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2011, 11:01:03 AM by punkinhead » Logged

To view my video documentation of my Beach Boys collection go to www.youtube.com/justinplank

"Someone needs to tell Adrian Baker that imitation isn't innovation." -The Real Beach Boy

~post of the century~
"Well, you reached out to me too, David, and I'd be more than happy to fill Bgas's shoes. You don't need him anyway - some of us have the same items in our collections as he does and we're also much better writers. Spoiled brat....."
-Mikie

"in this online beach boy community, I've found that you're either correct or corrected. Which in my mind is all in good fun to show ones knowledge of their favorite band."- punkinhead
The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: June 14, 2011, 12:05:09 PM »

80% Of Success Is Showing Up
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: June 14, 2011, 03:37:29 PM »

Maybe the only of his novels I haven't read or even bought to put on the shelf. Do let me know what you think.

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: June 14, 2011, 06:28:41 PM »

Question,

I'd like your honest opinion, would starting a book like A Hard Day's Write for the BB be worth it?
I think I could do it, but wouldn't be able to site enough sources throughout the years I've been researching and reading and listening and discussing. I'd also have trouble editing songs down to at least one page or so.
and the thing about writing about this music is I don't really wanna write about the hits at all...the lesser known and more creative stuff on albums is what I wanna explore.

~post of the century~
-Mikie

rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: June 27, 2011, 07:27:19 PM »

Contact - Carl Sagan

Also, I implore anyone here who is remotely interested in science fiction to read 'Childhood's End' by Arthur C Clarke.

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: June 27, 2011, 08:40:46 PM »

Contact - Carl Sagan

Also, I implore anyone here who is remotely interested in science fiction to read 'Childhood's End' by Arthur C Clarke.

What's it about?  Pretty sure I read it about 30-35 years back, when I was reading a lot of sci-fi. Probably have it in one of those storage boxes with the other 400 sci-fi's

Nothing I post is my opinion, it's all a message from God
Alex
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: July 15, 2011, 06:10:30 AM »

Recently whipped right through The Lost Beach Boy. Seems like anytime I read a BBs themed book I`m through it in a day or two...I can never put that stuff down. Now something like War and Peace would probably take me several months to get through.

"I thought Brian was a perfect gentleman, apart from buttering his head and trying to put it between two slices of bread"  -Tom Petty, after eating with Brian.

https://givemesomeboots1.blogspot.com/
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: July 20, 2011, 03:24:22 PM »

Contact - Carl Sagan

What's it about?  Pretty sure I read it about 30-35 years back, when I was reading a lot of sci-fi. Probably have it in one of those storage boxes with the other 400 sci-fi's

If you were steep into sci-fi you probably read it....[SPOILER ALERT] it is about an intelligent alien race that comes to earth to help us with our next evolutionary step - these aliens read our philosophy and change our perception of religion. They come to earth with a way to look into the past. It is Clarke's finest in my opinion - but then again I haven't read all of Clarke.
_____

Just finished 'On The Road' by Kerouac and 'The Great Gatsby' by Fitzgerald. Now on to 'Walden', and soon some more Kerouac, then re-reading 'No One Here Gets Out Alive'. 'On The Road' is one of the best books I have ever read. period.

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: July 20, 2011, 06:16:18 PM »

Just finished 'On The Road' by Kerouac and 'The Great Gatsby' by Fitzgerald. Now on to 'Walden', and soon some more Kerouac, then re-reading 'No One Here Gets Out Alive'. 'On The Road' is one of the best books I have ever read. period.
In some lit class, or just decided to hit some classics? Anyway, two great ones there. (For the record, I hate On the Road.)

rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: July 20, 2011, 06:42:12 PM »

In some lit class, or just decided to hit some classics? Anyway, two great ones there. (For the record, I hate On the Road.)

Decided to hit some classics. I skimmed over Thoreau in college, but didn't really take it seriously....I'm finding that I'm taking my studies more seriously after college lol. Gatsby was recommended to me by a friend after I told her how much I love Hemingway. Can't believe I never read it before, but now I can say I have. Great read.

As for 'On The Road' - I read the unedited scroll version - not the 1957 published edition, just fyi. Why the hate for 'On The Road'?

JK
Smiley Smile Associate

Maybe I put too much faith in atmosphere

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: July 26, 2011, 06:31:48 AM »

Talking of On The Road (which I've never read), has anyone ever read Steinbeck's Travels with Charley, as mentioned you-know-where? A very laid-back read.

What am I reading? Well...

I'm addicted!

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
You're Grass and I'm a Power Mower: A Beach Boys Orchestration Web Series
the Carbon Freeze | Eclectic Essays & Art
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: July 26, 2011, 07:23:34 AM »

A few days ago I put down Walden and actually tried to read Travels With Charley.

I just couldn't get into it. Page after page I kept reading, telling myself it would be worthwhile, and the further I went in the book the more I disliked it...I stopped reading 1/3rd of the way in. It's probably a fantastic read once one gets all the way through it (some books are like that), but I was dissatisfied with the lack of dialogue and moreover the ease of his travels (up to the point where I stopped). And I really didn't read enough to be a fair judge of whether the book is good or not.

I've tried several Steinbeck novels and havent really cared for them. I'll probably go back to Travels at some point though.
_____

i'm now reading the Maltese Falcon...really good thus far. Then on to Desolation Angels, No One Here Get's Out Alive, then back to Walden.

hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #66 on: July 26, 2011, 08:49:16 AM »

Have you tried  East Of Eden? That's Steinbecks best, imo.

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.

rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: July 26, 2011, 09:14:26 AM »

Have you tried  East Of Eden? That's Steinbecks best, imo.

No, but I will! Many friends of mine have also said that that is a great book.

rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #68 on: May 12, 2012, 01:40:57 PM »

Bump.

What's everyone been reading here lately?

I've been reading some Hemingway (The Garden of Eden, To Have and Have Not). Finished Dickens' Great Expectations a few weeks ago - was quite surprised at how good it is. I started The Brother's Karamazov the other day, but I've yet to really get into it.

Also, my dislike for Steinbeck subsided a bit: I read Of Mice and Men a few months ago and found it to be one of the better books I've read.

What about everyone else here?

the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #69 on: May 12, 2012, 01:44:24 PM »

I started The Brother's Karamazov the other day, but I've yet to really get into it.

Don't give up. It's one of my two or three favorites of all time.

Honestly I was just thinking that it's pathetic how little I've been reading of anything lately, sometimes just checking out some short stories or flipping through assorted (usually political or historical) nonfiction. I began reading Knut Hamsun's The Women at the Pump a while back, but couldn't get into it and haven't finished it. It has been by the bedside for weeks. Even months.

hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #70 on: May 12, 2012, 04:10:22 PM »

Finally got round to reading Zen & The Art Of Motorcycle Maintenance, but just as I was getting into it I left it at my flat when I went to see my family. Bugger.

rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #71 on: May 12, 2012, 04:28:59 PM »

I started The Brother's Karamazov the other day, but I've yet to really get into it.

Don't give up. It's one of my two or three favorites of all time.

Honestly I was just thinking that it's pathetic how little I've been reading of anything lately, sometimes just checking out some short stories or flipping through assorted (usually political or historical) nonfiction. I began reading Knut Hamsun's The Women at the Pump a while back, but couldn't get into it and haven't finished it. It has been by the bedside for weeks. Even months.

I'll definitely try to finish it. I've been told by several people it's one of the best books.

I too go through dry spells of reading. In fact, for most of winter I read only one book (Of Mice and Men).

@Hypehat, could you please tell me if that book is worth reading when you've finished it (Zen and the art of motorcycle maintenance)?. It keeps coming up in my Amazon recommendations but I've never bothered to purchase it.

Chocolate Shake Man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #72 on: May 12, 2012, 04:31:11 PM »

Brothers K is one of my favourites too. I agree with not giving up!
GreatUrduPoet
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #73 on: May 14, 2012, 09:36:03 AM »

Johnnie Allen's incredible "Born To Be A Loser"...a biography of late troubled singer/songwriter Jimmy Donley.
I'd always wondered how an artist so beloved for his 'warm and soulful' R&B and pop classics could have had
a reputation that makes cultural figures like Jerry Lee Lewis and Mike Tyson seem mellow and non-violent in
comparison. Now I think I can understand the baggage.
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #74 on: May 15, 2012, 05:49:59 AM »

A few days ago I put down Walden and actually tried to read Travels With Charley.

I just couldn't get into it. Page after page I kept reading, telling myself it would be worthwhile, and the further I went in the book the more I disliked it...I stopped reading 1/3rd of the way in. It's probably a fantastic read once one gets all the way through it (some books are like that), but I was dissatisfied with the lack of dialogue and moreover the ease of his travels (up to the point where I stopped). And I really didn't read enough to be a fair judge of whether the book is good or not.

I've tried several Steinbeck novels and havent really cared for them. I'll probably go back to Travels at some point though.
_____

i'm now reading the Maltese Falcon...really good thus far. Then on to Desolation Angels, No One Here Get's Out Alive, then back to Walden.
Heh, I read travels with Charley while on vacation about 8 years ago, I most certainly bought it because of the  lyric from California Saga.  Grin

~post of the century~
-Mikie

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 ... 33   Go Up
Print
Jump to: