-->
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 19, 2024, 11:49:55 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
News: Bellagio 10452
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  The Smiley Smile Message Board
|-+  Non Smiley Smile Stuff
| |-+  The Sandbox
| | |-+  The What Are You Reading? Thread
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 33   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: The What Are You Reading? Thread  (Read 317101 times)
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: April 30, 2011, 06:43:28 AM »

From what I've gathered, some of the members of this board are keen readers, soI thought it would be nice to have a literature thread of some sorts. So what are you reading? What's your favourite book? and so on.

at the moment, I have been wading through Lorca's 'Poet In New York'. Wonderful, if the images take a fair bit of unpacking. Which is why it's taking me so long.

Also picked up some Oscar Wilde plays the other day, as I'm about to be in The Importance Of Being Earnest and thought I'd give some more of his drama a whirl. Earnest is, of course, wonderful. Bad plot twists and everything  Grin

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
pancakerecords
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2011, 07:03:01 AM »

Harvard University Press just released an illustrated, uncensored edition of "The Picture of Dorian Gray".  I haven't read it yet, but I am looking forward to it.

I am currently reading Bob Mould's memoir "See A Little Light"

"Alright, I wanna ask you something - he's not getting a very big signal.  Do you think it would be good to move the mic a little bit closer?"
                                                                                           -Van Dyke Parks
A Million Units In Jan!
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2011, 07:33:29 AM »

Has anybody read 'The Godfather'? Even though it was done before the movie, I have to say, the movie is much better. One of the few instances where the movie is actually better than the book.
Right now, I'm reading 'Wicked'. I saw the musical a couple years back, and loved it. The book is much different, but it's still pretty good. If anyone here gets a chance to see it, you should. It's incredible!
« Last Edit: April 30, 2011, 07:34:59 AM by A Million Units In Jan! » Logged
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2011, 08:20:29 AM »

The Mars Trilogy by Kim Stanley Robinson. Red Mars and Green Mars are incredible books. I'm on Blue Mars now and am having a tough time getting through it.....Too much politics in this one I'm afraid. But hopefully it will get better.

I just finished 'Childhood's End' by Arthur C Clarke and it is one of the finest science fiction books I have ever read.

After this I'll probably pick up some Hemingway's 'To Have And Have Not' - anyone here know if that's a good read?

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
All Golden 74
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2011, 09:04:29 AM »

I'm re-reading (3rd time) 'The Three Stigmata of Palmer Eldritch' by Philip K. Dick.  It's my favorite PDK novel (so far).  I can't believe I still haven't read 'The Divine Invasion'!  Geez, I'm a dork!  Cry
Mike's Beard
Smiley Smile Associate

Check your privilege. Love & Mercy guys!

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2011, 09:43:18 AM »

Has anybody read 'The Godfather'? Even though it was done before the movie, I have to say, the movie is much better. One of the few instances where the movie is actually better than the book.
Right now, I'm reading 'Wicked'. I saw the musical a couple years back, and loved it. The book is much different, but it's still pretty good. If anyone here gets a chance to see it, you should. It's incredible!

The novel spends far too much time with a pointless sub plot about Johnny Fontania. It's telling that as famous as the Godfather movies are, most people would be hard put to name another Mario Puzo book.

BTW I'm reading the memoirs of B movie stunt man and bit part actor Gary Kent. Quite an interesting read esp his involvement with some of the biker and hippie movies of the 1960's.

I'd rather be forced to sleep with Caitlyn Jenner then ever have to listen to NPP again.
A Million Units In Jan!
« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2011, 09:51:11 AM »

The novel spends far too much time with a pointless sub plot about Johnny Fontania. It's telling that as famous as the Godfather movies are, most people would be hard put to name another Mario Puzo book.

And a pointless sub plot about Sonny's girlfriend Lucy. Basically these were just tossed in there so there was an excuse to talk about sex.
Jonas
Smiley Smile Associate

I've got the Beach Boys, my friends got the Stones

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2011, 09:54:31 AM »

Smiley Smile Message Board

We would like to record under an atmosphere of calmness. - Brian Wilson
--
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g1IgXT3xFdU
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2011, 11:08:27 AM »

Grin

Just finished an exhaustive biography of Bruce Chatwin. Rather wish I'd not read it now as, although fascinating and minutely researched, the man was basically a complete asshole who treated other people like crap and wasn't above plagiarising other's work. Still like his style, but it's a bit tarnished now.

Also reading an equally exhaustive biography of John Donne. Cracking stuff.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2011, 11:11:49 AM by Andrew G. Doe » Logged

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2011, 11:28:51 AM »

I'm happy for now reading multiple issues of Esquire magazine

Nothing I post is my opinion, it's all a message from God
Jonas
Smiley Smile Associate

I've got the Beach Boys, my friends got the Stones

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 30, 2011, 11:37:42 AM »

Like a proper gentleman.

We would like to record under an atmosphere of calmness. - Brian Wilson
--
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g1IgXT3xFdU
A Million Units In Jan!
« Reply #11 on: April 30, 2011, 12:41:56 PM »

You poor child  Cry
SloopJohnB
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: April 30, 2011, 01:11:01 PM »

I've just finished "Juliet, Naked" by Nick Hornby - a bestseller, and understandably so. It's quite funny, and the way internet message boards dedicated to a single artist are described is particularly accurate  LOL

I'm currently reading Charles Webb's "The Graduate". It's about time, as the movie based on the book is my favorite movie ever. So far the novel is good too, but I fear I'm too much in love with the movie to fully appreciate the book... I find myself comparing the two a bit too often. It was the same with "Memoirs of a Geisha", but in that case the book was far better than the movie.

I don't know where, but their music sends me there
Pleasure Island!!!!!!! and a slice of cheese pizza.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: April 30, 2011, 02:25:14 PM »

I've just finished "Juliet, Naked" by Nick Hornby - a bestseller, and understandably so. It's quite funny, and the way internet message boards dedicated to a single artist are described is particularly accurate  LOL

Oh, hell, yes - parts of that book are painfully close to home. Hornby is an excellent writer.

hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 30, 2011, 06:00:53 PM »

I need a good biography in my life. The question is, of whom. What was the Donne one you read, AGD?  Also, if there are any good ones of romantic authors, I should extremely like to know them. Although maybe not Coleridge, I've tried Biografia Literatura a couple of times and it's been too heavily psychological, in an unconvincing way.

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.

Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: May 01, 2011, 01:07:51 AM »

It's called Donne: The Reformed Soul by John Stubbs.

hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 01, 2011, 06:10:33 AM »

Thanks, I'll pick it up and put it on the pile of 'stuff i'll be able to read when my degree's over'  Grin

I guess this is the place for this, so I'll mention I also saw All's Well That Ends Well at the Globe last night (which was amazing, and I heartily recommend it), and am going to see Macbeth in a disused prison tonight! Am so excited.

grillo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 01, 2011, 07:23:57 AM »

Currently reading:
A Life Wild and Perilous about fur trappers in the 19th century
http://www.amazon.com/Life-Wild-Perilous-Mountain-Pacific/dp/080505989X/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1304259656&sr=1-1

Merchants Money and Power about the early history of Portland Or
http://www.amazon.com/Merchants-Money-Power-Establishment-1843-1913/dp/0960340831/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1304259715&sr=1-1,
Precious Dust about the world around goldrushes
http://www.amazon.com/Precious-Dust-Saga-Western-Rushes/dp/0803282478/ref=sr_1_2?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1304259746&sr=1-2,

Preston Falls
http://www.amazon.com/Preston-Falls-Novel-David-Gates/dp/0679756434/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1304259789&sr=1-1, reading it for the millionth time, and the only funnier book I've read was the same author's Jernigan http://www.amazon.com/Jernigan-David-Gates/dp/0679737138/ref=pd_sim_b_2.

« Last Edit: May 01, 2011, 07:27:29 AM by grillo » Logged

“You never change things by fighting the existing reality.
To change something, build a new model that makes the existing model obsolete.”
― Richard Buckminster Fuller
rogerlancelot
« Reply #18 on: May 01, 2011, 12:17:16 PM »

The Biography of the Bible on Sacred Texts website:

http://www.sacred-texts.com/bib/biob/index.htm

Fascinating read on a 6000 year old subject.  Smiley
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 01, 2011, 03:50:30 PM »

Why Nations Go to War, John Stoessinger.

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
OBLiO
Smiley Smile Associate

Do The Hokey Pokey with all your might

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 01, 2011, 04:13:33 PM »

The Biography of the Bible on Sacred Texts website:

http://www.sacred-texts.com/bib/biob/index.htm

Fascinating read on a 6000 year old subject.  Smiley

wow. yeah that Sacred Texts site has everything. Been going there on and off for about 5 years or so.

Favorite Book: Harpo Speaks! by Harpo Marx and Rowland Barber.
Atlas Shrugged has been staring at me for about a month, but I've been distracted.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2011, 04:14:47 PM by Oblio » Logged

"Remember - only you can prevent forest fires" - Smokey the Bear
Dunderhead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 01, 2011, 06:42:02 PM »

Goethe - Wilhelm Meisters Wanderjahre

TEAM COHEN; OFFICIAL CAPTAIN (2013-)
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

what it means to be human

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 03, 2011, 08:53:43 AM »

The Lost Beach Boy

V-the Novel, based on the first two mini-series.

To view my video documentation of my Beach Boys collection go to www.youtube.com/justinplank

"Someone needs to tell Adrian Baker that imitation isn't innovation." -The Real Beach Boy

~post of the century~
"Well, you reached out to me too, David, and I'd be more than happy to fill Bgas's shoes. You don't need him anyway - some of us have the same items in our collections as he does and we're also much better writers. Spoiled brat....."
-Mikie

"in this online beach boy community, I've found that you're either correct or corrected. Which in my mind is all in good fun to show ones knowledge of their favorite band."- punkinhead
Vega-Table Man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 03, 2011, 09:06:56 AM »

Oh, hell, yes - parts of that book are painfully close to home. Hornby is an excellent writer.

Absolutely. And Juliet, Naked in particular is a fine book. When it came out, I attended a reading/signing he did in NYC and got a chance to chat with him briefly ... He's a very gracious guy.
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 03, 2011, 09:29:33 AM »

Today, I am focussing heavily on Ezra Pound for my essays so not reading as such. But got delightfully sidetracked by The Cantos. Wonderful stuff.

Also read Beckett's Endgame again and had to take myself out for lunch afterwards to cheer myself up  LOL

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 33   Go Up
Print
Jump to: